Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Might pick up a sixpack tonight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
miller high life

long neck bottle

the champagne of beers

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

the spaghett (miller + aperol + lemon juice) is pretty decent

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Vox Nihili posted:

Might pick up a sixpack tonight...

update when you can please...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mawarannahr posted:

they should replace at least 90% of ipa with kölsch, pilsner, saison, kristallweizen, etc...

Hard agree

I wish the sour supremacy had lasted longer but it was killed by the type of dudes who eat chicken tendies with honey mustard at least 3 times a week

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Drinking an Old Rasputin tonight

It's good poo poo

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Drinking an Old Rasputin tonight

It's good poo poo

Strong, tasty, and affordable

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

snack soul posted:

the spaghett (miller + aperol + lemon juice) is pretty decent

no, just regular kind

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The cheap beers I regularly drank in my 20's:

Milwaukee's Best Ice, Keystone Light, Miller High Life, Rolling Rock, Red Dog, Natural Ice, Busch, Schaefer, Schlitz, Piels, Hamm's, Coors Extra Gold, Lionshead, Yuengling Premium, Old Milwaukee, Narragansett, National Bohemian, Rolling Rock, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Genesee Cream Ale

I drank several hundred gallons of every beer on that list, at least, and I regret every sip.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Well, maybe not EVERY sip

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

titty_baby_ posted:

Strong, tasty, and affordable

Like the man himself.

Also Narragansett isn't half bad. They've got it at the one theater I see shows at and it's usually either that or like... Shock top.
Give me the Narragansett over that

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
no old style no credit

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'd rather have shock top than Narragansett, it's disgusting

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

sipping Modelo especial, a good session beer

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
will be drinking some pbrs later tonight reckon

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mawarannahr posted:

they should replace at least 90% of ipa with kölsch, pilsner, saison, kristallweizen, etc...

no!!

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

snack soul posted:

that’s cool and i hope it works out for you. our closest LHBS closed a couple years ago thanks to covid

gonna drive a little further out tomorrow to grab some ingredients to brew a saison. got any recipes you’d recommend? not planning to try my luck with open fermentation (yet)

I have a few but haven't tried them yet, I inherited them from the previous shop owner, here's one

quote:

5 lbs Briess Light Dried Malt Extract 0.5 lb Dingemans Cara 45 (45L)
1 lb Golden Candi Syrup (5L)
8 AAU Amarillo hops (Boil)
1 oz Mosaic hops (Finish)
1 oz Mosaic hops (Dry Hop)
1 Servomyces capsule
Imperial Napoleon ale yeast or Imperial Gnome ale yeast (1 pack)
Put grain into a mesh bag. Place grain bag into 1 gallon of water and heat to 155o F. Steep for 30 minutes. Remove the grain bag and drain into the brewpot. Do not squeeze the bag but you can rinse the bag with a little hot water. After removing the grains add water to bring the total to 6 gallons.
Add the Briess dry malt extract and bring to a boil. Add the Amarillo hops and boil for 30 minutes. Add the Servomyces capsule and continue boiling for another 25 minutes. Add 1 oz of Mosaic hops at the end of the boil.
Cool as quickly as possible, add yeast and aerate thoroughly when temperature has dropped below 66 oF. Best results will be obtained if the fermentation temperature is allowed to rise to 77 oF during the primary fermentation.
“Feed the Fermentation” with the Candi Syrup. This is a common Belgian technique that I recommend. To “Feed the Fermentation” do not add the Candi syrup to the boil. Instead add the Candi syrup at high krausen. This is when the yeast has started fermenting the beer and is very active, typically on day 2 after pitching the yeast. Sanitize the outside of the package and then pour the Candi syrup into the active fermentation.
Add the Mosaic Dry Hop addition to the keg or your secondary fermenter.

"our LHBS closed due to covid" is a really common story, ours is the last store in a very large metro area and I think there's room for a lot of growth. Hoping to expand it to a brewshop + microbrewery in the next five years.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Not a big saison guy tbh :lofty:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm predicting the age of the high ABV IPAs is over

now we are in the age of table beers
maybe even artisanal american kvass

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
drinking a tallboy of a local beer that did an entire production run with a typo of "American" as "Amercian" on the label lmao

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

I have a few but haven't tried them yet, I inherited them from the previous shop owner, here's one

"our LHBS closed due to covid" is a really common story, ours is the last store in a very large metro area and I think there's room for a lot of growth. Hoping to expand it to a brewshop + microbrewery in the next five years.

The big idea I had for the LHBS I worked at was to turn the far part of our warehouse into a small cooperage. Keep that in your back pocket if you want to go even further down the risk/reward curve!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'd rather have shock top than Narragansett, it's disgusting

i lived in providence for a few months and the previous tenant left me a sixer of gansett oktoberfest and it was incredible. then i bought the regular stuff and was revolted

anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqMh4PB7lN0

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

One of the dudes I worked with was in charge of keg distribution at Bridgeport for years and year, every now and then he'd find neat old stuff and bring it in. Thanks to him I have a bottle of Bridgeport Old Knucklehead Barleywine that was bottled in 1994! Now that it's officially thirty years old I'm going to crack it open soon and post a trip report if I don't forget

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

It's technically not my job anymore but I *love* brewing and helping other people do it, and I've mentioned it elsewhere but I do home distilling too and have for years now so I can speak on it confidently.

If anyone here wants to make something or even just thinking about it reach out and I will help, and definitely check out the homebrew thread in GWS https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437782&pagenumber=1030#lastpost it's slow moving but you'd be hard pressed to find a better collection of brewing knowledge online

And if you live in New Zealand definitely look into home distilling, it's the only place in the English speaking world where it's legal

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm predicting the age of the high ABV IPAs is over

now we are in the age of table beers
maybe even artisanal american kvass

I think this is probably true, nobody wants to really get destroyed on 9% abv hop nukes but they're a fun flavor sometimes. The people want good session beers

Fortaleza posted:

One of the dudes I worked with was in charge of keg distribution at Bridgeport for years and year, every now and then he'd find neat old stuff and bring it in. Thanks to him I have a bottle of Bridgeport Old Knucklehead Barleywine that was bottled in 1994! Now that it's officially thirty years old I'm going to crack it open soon and post a trip report if I don't forget

it's probably great, we cracked open a flight of Sierra Nevada bigfoot barleywines the other day from 1999, 2000, and 2001 - they were all still fantastic

Fortaleza posted:

And if you live in New Zealand definitely look into home distilling, it's the only place in the English speaking world where it's legal

We sell tons of distilling equipment. There's big "tobacco water pipe" vibes around it, talking about how you can use it to make essential oils and whatnot. Someone asked about making perfume with it once.

mad.radhu has issued a correction as of 01:10 on Jan 9, 2024

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

drinking a tallboy of a local beer that did an entire production run with a typo of "American" as "Amercian" on the label lmao

The total lack of quality control just makes it extra American

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

update when you can please...

I ended up getting the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale that they do annually

Bit late in the season but it's good

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mad.radhu posted:

I think this is probably true, nobody wants to really get destroyed on 9% abv hop nukes but they're a fun flavor sometimes. The people want good session beers

9% is excessive but it's hard for me to go back to session beers unless I'm having something specifically thirst quenching on a hot day.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lone star will always be the best and most versatile

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they just raised taxes on beer in Turkey
https://twitter.com/zamlargeldi/status/1744019673274876365
it's $2 for a tallboy of the universally available 5% Pilsner now and people are MAD... however they are also secularist libs who are too afraid to do anything but make 400 posts on a forum.

$2 doesn't seem like much, right? well, on minimum wage you can buy 283 of them. there are no discounts for buying a 6 or 18 pack or nothin.

let's say a 6 pack of 16 oz 5% is maybe $7.50 in America, coming out to $1.25 apiece. for minimum wage in a mid state like Ohio it looks like take home minimum wage is around $1500 as of this year. by this rough measure, a minimum wage earner in an average state could get 1,200 tall beverages for a month of their trouble. therefore, the American worker is around 4.25x as prosperous as the pitiable secular Turk.

glory to America :911:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is there an emerging underground homebrew or distillation culture?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i say swears online posted:

is there an emerging underground homebrew or distillation culture?

absolutely, a lot of folks in the linked threads are declaring their intention. it sounds like the consumer supply chain for homebrewing (ie someplace to order stuff online domestically in non-commercial quantities, as you cannot order this stuff internationally without great expense and difficulty) has been maturing since it first took off 10-15 years ago.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

$2 doesn't seem like much, right? well, on minimum wage you can buy 283 of them. there are no discounts for buying a 6 or 18 pack or nothin.

let's say a 6 pack of 16 oz 5% is maybe $7.50 in America, coming out to $1.25 apiece. for minimum wage in a mid state like Ohio it looks like take home minimum wage is around $1500 as of this year. by this rough measure, a minimum wage earner in an average state could get 1,200 tall beverages for a month of their trouble. therefore, the American worker is around 4.25x as prosperous as the pitiable secular Turk.

glory to America :911:

$2 American for a beer in Turkey sounds loving outrageous

Is this a morality thing?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it's tuesday

celebrate, with a miller high life

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

snack soul posted:

nah how about this instead

i hate everything about this

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
got a wholesale account set up with brewhaus.com and wow the markup on stills is somethin'

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

stocked up on a couple hundred lbs of base malts to get me through the year. just need to clean the rust off of the grain mill

going to start with a philly sour before i brew the saison. i’ve been wanting to do a kettle sour for a while, but keep getting deterred by the longer sour mashing process. philly seems like a nice compromise for babby’s first sour

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

snack soul posted:

nah how about this instead

oh that reminds. here, enjoy some news from the main craft beer magazine down under

https://craftypint.com/news/2831/beer-on-the-blockchain

just the intro alone is a cognito-hazard

quote:

The blockchain. Crypto. NFT. To the moon. Web3. DeFi.

Depending on your level of interest, such terms might be part of your everyday vernacular or make your eyes roll into the back of your skull. But just as breaking down hop compounds might make for the most fascinating conversations in one corner of a bar yet cause those sitting at other tables to get up and walk away, interest can be very much in the eye of the beholder.

As Jason, who we’ll introduce below, says: “If you don’t like the beer, get the coin; if you don’t like the coin, get the beer. No matter what, you’re going to win.”

listen to them explain it:

quote:

“[Edge] make the beer, we sell the beer with them, we split the profits, and then we take those profits to buy the coin back which spikes the price,” Jason explains.

“So we reward holders both when they buy the beer – because they scan it and go to the website and see ways they can get tokens – and they get rewarded when we do our buyback.”

Adam and Michelle say it felt like the right kind of partnership for them; Adam had dabbled in crypto and had been thinking about how to connect it to beer, but felt he lacked the time or expertise to pull off such a venture.

“I think this whole space is only going to explode in a pretty short time,” he says.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

A brewery who's stuff I liked said they would take bitcoin and released a bitcoin ipa but that's nothing compared to creating a pump and dump beer coin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

i like a good wheat beer

I'm drinking a bottle of Shiner's peach wheat they make using hill country peaches. I dunno what their distribution is like but if you can get a hold of one it's pretty tasty and imo a solid wheat. When I was younger I used to hate wheat beer and wheat bread but they've both grown on me. Hope you're staying warm

It's 25 degrees out but the windows are open cause Im smokin'