Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I would be really upset if the my time series goes into dark/depressing themes this game is a really nice escape from the outside world. Like someone said above I think they could pull it off but like it's the last thing I want in terms of themes.

A wild frontier though or like that train idea, oh yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
the entire peach stuff would be ok, changing things from really lovely to good seems like it would fit?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rian always has easy wood commissions available but he's always asleep when I seek him out to deliver them.

I'm having to barge into him bedroom behind his wife's back to wake him up by giving him my wood, every time.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Same but I'm talking about loving

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think so was he, that was the joke.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright. Vasectomy yesterday complete. Today I have 4 bags of frozen peas and this game and that’s all I’ve got to do.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Saxophone posted:

Alright. Vasectomy yesterday complete. Today I have 4 bags of frozen peas and this game and that’s all I’ve got to do.

whoa is that part of the new post-marriage content?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Horses...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

In case I'm not the only one too stupid to understand it right away:

If you buy an items that unlocks a Tab feature (planting kit, camera, horse whistle, construction kit, etc) then you can sell it right away after unlocking the feature. You don't need to keep it.

To protect yourself in a sandstorm you only need the headgear in your apparel slot, you don't need to actually equip it.

You can move farm plots via the house editor.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I keep reading about ‘delaying’ the main quest so you can stock up etc.

I haven’t made a lift yet, so is it possible for me to just stock up on basics before moving forward? I remember the first definitely always feeling some pressure to get things done quickly or someone would snipe it out from under you.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Do not stock up. There is zero need. There is plenty of downtime in the story.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Saxophone posted:

I keep reading about ‘delaying’ the main quest so you can stock up etc.

I haven’t made a lift yet, so is it possible for me to just stock up on basics before moving forward? I remember the first definitely always feeling some pressure to get things done quickly or someone would snipe it out from under you.

You could but main story progress gives you access to new tools/materials that in turn make you more efficient, so personally I don't see the point.

I'm "only" 40 hours in, but so far I've been spending my money/resources liberally and it feels like that was the right way to go.
When I don't have the resources to finish a mission/commission I just buy it somewhere and then continue re-investing the rewards, and always come out positive out of the exchange in one way or another.

If I had to give any other piece of advise is to always have your machines running. If you don't need to build anything in particular then build whatever you have the least of. You'll need that stuff eventually so you might as well prepare it in advance.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Cool. Duly noted. I just remember the last one where if you weren’t hustle hustle all the time the other guy would swipe all the commissions

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Don't be shy building multiple machines. I ramped up to 5 recyclers within the first week because they are cheap and you can get tons of scrap. Also don't be shy with water - buying it is cheap once a week and still not bad past that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You can buy 5-10 units of water every day for basically nothing.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The only time I "paused" the main story was to delay one of the later missions by almost a month so I got the ending in spring instead of water (it looks nicer).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The only time I put a "pause" on the main story was so I could get married before the point of no return (that happens about 60% through the game) so that I could get married before the point of no return.

Did I need to? No. But I did it for my own story headcanon.

There is so much downtime in the story that you don't need to over prepare or pre-craft things.

I was thinking that once I finish this game, I'll probably play it again in a year or two once they add more stuff via patches. If I do, I'll probably do so with the following restrictions:

- No more than 1 of any machine.
- No changing the time from 1.0 speed.
- Must be to bed by midnight every night (holidays excepted).
- No taking "bonus" commissions.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 7, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's sometimes worth delaying em at least a few days just so you don't end up with awkward days with important story stuff going on same as a festival or town event. Nothing breaks but it's just giving neither side the full day attention I'd like. Does feel cool to save the town from disaster then still win 3 dance competitions though.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I just finished the game without ever buying water. Was a bit rough in the first week but honestly after that you're fine. Build some dew collectors, refine your machines for water efficiency, unlock the water efficiency skills, get pets out collecting water.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Megazver posted:

At the very least plant a couple of each tree, yes.

Yeah, some people mention only making one, but I have one of each and it's not quite sufficient to keep up with commissions (at least the coffee part, anyways - it's actually been okay so far for the other tree). Right now I have a coffee commission that I won't be able to fill for two more game-days (when my next harvest comes in).

2 seems like it will be overkill, but that's better than running short and doesn't cost me much.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A good fifth of my workshop space is dedicated to dew collectors and what they produce is just a drop in the bucket compared to how much water I use.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I planted three of each tree and the squeeze was absolutely not worth the juice if you’ll accept the tree fruit related metaphor

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Two of each works really well, yeah. Wouldn't go any higher than that - there's no real reason to sell produce unless you're doing a commission, and even then the commissions are more just backups for when you don't want to do yet another three loving petrified wood commissions.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Rolled credits around 70 hours, very satisfying. On the pre-construction scale I was pretty low, before I had a factory I would run scrappers all the time and generally smelt all the ore I had all the time, probably averaged around 20-100 of each ingot and not much else. I did some farming but mostly for its own sake and for animals, I never really did the alternate commissions unless there was just absolutely nothing, and I would sometimes fail them because like it needed meat stuffed mushrooms but uh those don't grow in winter or whatever.

We stan unsuur

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Phobeste posted:

Rolled credits around 70 hours

That's blowing my mind. I think I'm at about 150 hours and still have a good 25% of the story left.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I can't really stand minigames so I didn't do most of them and I think I didn't do that much social interaction (though I did all the sidequests that popped up). Popped a lot of heatstroke meds etc, maxed out commissions. I really like these games and play the hell out of them but playing the hell out of them can sometimes lead to just blitzing through.

Is your playtime more about taking days slowly or taking more days? I finished in winter year 2

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Phobeste posted:

I can't really stand minigames so I didn't do most of them and I think I didn't do that much social interaction (though I did all the sidequests that popped up). Popped a lot of heatstroke meds etc, maxed out commissions. I really like these games and play the hell out of them but playing the hell out of them can sometimes lead to just blitzing through.

Is your playtime more about taking days slowly or taking more days? I finished in winter year 2

I'm currently in Summer Year 2. I have my speed set to 0.6 though, which gives me a lot of time in the day.

At my current point, I'm pretty much out of all side content though and I have enough resources that I could probably blitz the remainder of the game. I bet I have about sub-10 hours left if I just focus on main story.

Story-wise, I have all four ruins open and am back to building the Portia tunnel.

My one main complaint is that side quests are horribly paced and front-loaded. I wish they were better paced out across the main story. I feel like the Summer/Autumn year 1 are filled with side quests popping up 2-4 per day. Now it's just a drought.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Jack Trades posted:

To protect yourself in a sandstorm you only need the headgear in your apparel slot, you don't need to actually equip it.

What exactly is the negative effect of the sandstorm, I could never figure that out so I just never bothered to equip sand gear

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I think I need to have a talk with Heidi. What the gently caress is this?

Talorat posted:

What exactly is the negative effect of the sandstorm, I could never figure that out so I just never bothered to equip sand gear

Dunno, it feels like it makes me run slower.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It can also snatch away your items. It says that if you follow the direction of the wind, you can find the things that blew away, but I've never found anything that I've lost that way, so I always put on my goofy mask so I don't lose all my poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I found them for the first time yesterday.
They are hovering 5 meters above ground.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Phobeste posted:

i think my game finished in summer year 2? For reference in a "built every project the same day it was available" in portia i think i had it completed in late winter. so a bit longer game, altho as i mentioned before most of the projects felt... smaller

also most of the minigames in this are at least tolerable, except the sandsledding, which sucks since it is quite easy to get literally stuck in it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just successfully grown some trees outside the Gecko Station. Roughly how far into the main story am I?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I just successfully grown some trees outside the Gecko Station. Roughly how far into the main story am I?

About 35-40%ish

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

It's a long-rear end game. If you're thinking "surely that's close to the end", it's not close to the end, lol.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

About 35-40%ish

Megazver posted:

It's a long-rear end game. If you're thinking "surely that's close to the end", it's not close to the end, lol.

Good. Sounds like it's gonna be a roughly 100 hour trip.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

That's blowing my mind. I think I'm at about 150 hours and still have a good 25% of the story left.

I'm at 80 hours and I'm not even sure if I'm half-way (I just got a quest to make "protective suits" and Nia returned home recently after visiting).

I have time set to 0.6, though, and generally take my time when playing games.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'm at 80 hours and I'm not even sure if I'm half-way (I just got a quest to make "protective suits" and Nia returned home recently after visiting).

I have time set to 0.6, though, and generally take my time when playing games.

You're on main mission 29 of 91.

Just like with Portia, the back half of the game tends to go a lot faster than the front half. Since majority of the sidequests are frontloaded. In the back half of the game there are relatively few side quests and I often end up going to bed by 2pm in game because there's not much to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't usually like using mods that heavily change the intended game mechanics the first time I play through a game but I'm this close to installing the polyamory mod...
It's just so hard to choose.