Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

Oh, they'd be going into parks and cutting down proper Bri'ish trees. Then roasting 'Is Majesty's swans over them or something like that.

Usually you have to be on the council to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, you should always wait to see if there's a second one before putting your pants back on.

Five minutes until the bus arrives, I think I've got time to lay a high speed rail...

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Having a log fire is nice

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
You're not wrong, wood stoves are very cosy and smell nice. It's just a shame about the whole planets dying stuff.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It was like that when I found it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah, nah

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/18/wood-burners-triple-harmful-indoor-air-pollution-study-finds

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1743936873800605867
:toot:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Starmer also.has no plan to address the real issues confronting Britain

https://twitter.com/Tweet_Dec/status/1743763526479474844?t=EjEwJEOhZLU2K1E1peNLtQ&s=19

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/Tweet_Dec/status/1743763526479474844?t=EjEwJEOhZLU2K1E1peNLtQ&s=19

I assumed it was going to be the common complaint about how the packages are getting emptier and emptier. I was pleasantly surprised to see that spin on it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The new wrappers are poo poo to be fair. Let’s just suck any kind of remaining joy out of this product to squeeze the margin further

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sure, sure, the country is rapidly going down the shitter on every level, people have absolutely no cause for hope, but hey, what's really bad is that we're no longer wasting plastic on wrapping mediocre sweets but using recyclable but aesthetically less pleasing paper wrappers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pretty sure Roses still had its usual wrappers this year. To the victor the spoils.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Celebrations wrappers look like dogshit now as well.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

keep punching joe posted:

You're not wrong, wood stoves are very cosy and smell nice. It's just a shame about the whole planets dying stuff.

I’m sure that wood burning stoves contribute to horrible particulates in the air and significantly impact air quality, but I’m not convinced they massively impact climate change or hasten the end of the world: for the same reason that planting trees as offsetting for burning coal doesn’t materially make a difference, because it is short term carbon storage (turning CO2 into trees) vs. the transformation of long term carbon storage (fossil fuels turning into CO2).

Trees to firewood to CO2 is just the short term carbon cycle doing its thing, albeit while killing asthmatic children. The thing that is hastening the end of humanity is the movement of carbon from the geological timescale cycle to the short term cycle.

Fake edit: I would like to caveat all this by saying that I still think wood burning stoves are a bad thing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Such a serious mad head on her too.
WHOLE CHRISTMAS RUINED NOW

M_P_R
Apr 8, 2016

stev posted:

A lot of insurers are based in Europe I guess. :shrug: It's more common for travel, health and more niche insurance than it is for cars though.

Thanks, it just seems a weird thing to complain about. Guess I'm looking for logic that is just not there. :shrug:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

A nice example of the massive rage at the state of things, and bitter resentment that simmers under the surface of most English people, and the unwillingness to confront the real causes.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Having a log fire is nice

It's lovely, I don't think I'll dispose of my tree in it though

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I finally watched that ITV series about the Post Office scandal last night, and I knew the story was bad, but I had no idea how corrupt, malicious and criminal it all was. I'm still experiencing incredible waves of anger.

And to think they would have all gotten away with it if it wasn't for the four part serialised TV drama....

e: https://twitter.com/deirdreheenan/status/1743947218556440580

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 7, 2024

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Fair enough if you’ve got asthma or something but wood burners are objectively lovely. If you can’t find joy in stoking a fire and getting cosy next to it then please re-evaluate things

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Seems like we can kill two birds with one stone here. Instead of burning your Christmas tree in your living room, burn your Quality Street

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Such a serious mad head on her too.
WHOLE CHRISTMAS RUINED NOW

Feels like if my aul wan went off on one like this, we'd have to have a group meeting about putting her in a home

Jakabite posted:

Fair enough if you’ve got asthma or something but wood burners are objectively lovely. If you can’t find joy in stoking a fire and getting cosy next to it then please re-evaluate things

Well I do have asthma so what now :colbert:.

I do like stoking a nice outdoor firepit though, when I can be upwind of the smoke

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
When I lived in London (17 years ago now, can't believe it!) I used to have one of these "Robocab" in my all-electric flat.

More aesthetically pleasing than those big beige cuboid things even though buying smaller bottles of gas wasn't as cost effective as the regular size bottles. One of the bottles would last me about 3 weeks - but that's in the days when I was out of the house 9-12 hours a day during the working week.

Real flames but not wood. It did used to chuck out loads of water though! And never vacuum near it when it's on as the vacuum sucks the flames out through the bars!

Me & the kitties loved it, it was so cozy.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Here in NI we can still burn PROPER COAL and peat and poo poo. Love me hearth, love me real fire. Simple as

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Wood burners became an air quality issue when townies decided that they needed them, same as 4x4s.

As always the problem is townies cosplaying as country squires.

Personally I blame Nigella.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Wood burners became an air quality issue when townies decided that they needed them, same as 4x4s.

Only the good honest simple countryside gentry should be allowed to destroy the environment.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Disagree. My folks had wood burners living in a very rural area. I am convinced to this day that the smoke from the dratted thing caused or hastened my dad's oesophageal cancer. Whenever I used to visit, the smoke in the room used to practically choke me, but the parentals living in it every day seemed to be oblivious. Dad's chair was directly in front of it while mum's was off to the side.

(eg: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...ageal%20cancer.)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Feels like if my aul wan went off on one like this, we'd have to have a group meeting about putting her in a home

Well I do have asthma so what now :colbert:.

I do like stoking a nice outdoor firepit though, when I can be upwind of the smoke

Get one of those nice fake ones that still look pretty as all people regardless of their respiratory system deserve warmth from things that look nice imo

Speaking of which i recently got into plants and can’t recommend it enough, incredible what some greenery does for the ol’ brainbox

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Wood burns quickly, which is poo poo for efficiency, but great when it's really cold and you need to warm up now.
Also, presumably it's easier to source fuel for a wood burner if your finances are terrible or you live somewhere the slumlord has sub-divided into 25 rooms and your room doesn't have a radiator.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
A modern wood stove should dump very little smoke back into the room. It’s not nothing, and still harmful, but nowhere near an older lovely stove, or worse, an open hearth. They’re also much more efficient. Open hearths can in some circumstances make your house colder due to the amount of air they suck in from the outside.

I had a catalytic stove at an old place I had that I actually used for most of the winter heating, because it was much cheaper than the garbage baseboard heaters the place had.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Here in NI we can still burn PROPER COAL and peat and poo poo. Love me hearth, love me real fire. Simple as

Never want to burn peat ever again, the amount of ashes you got out of that stuff was a right pain to clean out every morning. :ughh:

The amount of rigmarole my mum had to go through to keep a coal fire going was also a chore... i'll stick with the oil.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

My Nan used to have a coal fire.

She's dead now and was cremated.

Coincidence?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dead Goon posted:

My Nan used to have a coal fire.

She's dead now and was cremated.

Coincidence?

When you say cremated...did she just slowly tip forward into the fire and no one noticed in time?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

cat botherer posted:

A modern wood stove should dump very little smoke back into the room. It’s not nothing, and still harmful, but nowhere near an older lovely stove, or worse, an open hearth. They’re also much more efficient. Open hearths can in some circumstances make your house colder due to the amount of air they suck in from the outside.

I had a catalytic stove at an old place I had that I actually used for most of the winter heating, because it was much cheaper than the garbage baseboard heaters the place had.

While modern ones are better at not polluting the room, they still significantly increase air pollution outside your house and affect local air quality - and the air inside your house is just a product of the air outside your house at the end of the day.

Wood fires are cozy and warm and lovely. They also are bad for local air pollution which has a noticeable effect on respiratory health, especially of small children and the elderly. It just didn't use to matter when half the population was smoking themselves and others around them to death anyways, but now it's more prominent.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jakabite posted:

That's why I got a cheap fire pit thing for the back garden.

It's a bit of a windtrap though so, even when it's early evening in the middle of summer, you get this constant breeze that makes it feel a bit too cold to sit out in the garden even with the fire pit.

I love a good fire but haven't got the first idea on how to deal with the situation with back garden without some kind of elaborate shelter.

Kin fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 7, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Well well, what a surprise

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
can't wait to pay five quid to look at ducks in the park

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

While modern ones are better at not polluting the room, they still significantly increase air pollution outside your house and affect local air quality - and the air inside your house is just a product of the air outside your house at the end of the day.

Wood fires are cozy and warm and lovely. They also are bad for local air pollution which has a noticeable effect on respiratory health, especially of small children and the elderly. It just didn't use to matter when half the population was smoking themselves and others around them to death anyways, but now it's more prominent.
Yeah it’s bad if significant numbers use it, and wood as a fuel doesn’t scale up. Modern wood stoves aren’t quite so bad with particulates as old ones, but still not great.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Nuclear Spoon posted:

can't wait to pay five quid to look at ducks in the park

The ducks have also been sold off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

cat botherer posted:

Yeah it’s bad if significant numbers use it, and wood as a fuel doesn’t scale up.
I think that's where

Flux Wildly posted:

Most worrying part of that to me is the freeborn Briton part which seems quite dog whistle-y, no? So immigrants etc need not apply.
comes into play.

I don't think that Johnson cares enough to be one of these "90% of the country is immigrants now" nationalists, it's not his style. It's more that he believes in a blasé way that there's maybe 100,000 actual people in the country, and as long as only they were doing whatever they want and the help stuck to tidying things up after then it'd be fine, wouldn't it?