Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Woozie66 posted:

The Browns fired Hue/Gregggg to promote and retain Freddie Kitchens

Funnier that Dorsey tied himself to Kitchens and campaigned for him to get another season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Dorsey must be a tremendous rear end in a top hat because, from my memory, he can draft really well but nobody wants him around long anyway.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Mega64 posted:

Also #28-3.

Because the 28 is the number of seasons since the Cowboys were in a Super Bowl.

Is the 3 for the 90s super bowl wins?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Parallax posted:

How is Atlanta's defense? They've gotta be the second most desirable coaching spot behind the Chargers if Smith gets fired, between the offensive weapons and just how lovely the south is and will probably continue to be

Much improved this year but have age/injury concerns. Calais Campbell is 37 years old. Grady Jarrett blew out his knee four games into the season. Jessie Bates played his best year ever, but I don't know how much to trust that going forward.

AJ Terrell is good, Demarco Hellams has shown a heckuva lot of promise in the 2nd half of the year.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Black Sunshine posted:

Dorsey must be a tremendous rear end in a top hat because, from my memory, he can draft really well but nobody wants him around long anyway.

He's above average for the 1st and 2nd, but loves drafting a dickhead in the mid rounds. Don't bet on anyone after the 2nd though. Also terrible with the cap

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 6, 2024

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Black Lighter posted:

I mean, yes, going with someone who has a track record and someone who has none are generally the two options

There's some minutia there. Big difference of track record if you're Jim Harbaugh or Belichick vs Bowles or Dennis Allen.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Black Sunshine posted:

Drafted Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, Patrick Mahomes, Chris Jones

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Pron on VHS posted:

Drafted Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, Patrick Mahomes, Chris Jones

Yes I know, it's loving nightmare fuel

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

To be fair to Quinn, he had extremely good defenses in Seattle, and they’ve never been as good since, and now he’s got a very good defense in Dallas when they sucked before he got there. Based on the evidence he’s probably a pretty good defensive coordinator. Yea, he’s had talent to work with but every NFL team has talent and plenty of coaches still manage to waste it.

None of this is an endorsement for him as HC, but like I said, you’ve got to hire *someone* and proven commodities are pretty rare.

Dan Quinn was hired for the 2021 season.

2020 Dallas D was 23rd in yards per play. 28th in points allowed.

2021 Dallas D was 21st in yards per play. 7th in points allowed.

The difference in overall D performance was due to the 2021 defense getting a whopping best in the league 34(!) turnovers. That’s 11 more turnovers than the 2020 Defense!

2022 was a big jump where the Dallas D was top ten in both points allowed and yards per play. Again, Dallas had the league leading number of turnovers (33).

So what happened?

Well for the 2021 nfl draft, Dallas had 6 picks in the first four rounds. The first five picks were all defensive players. Headlined by Micah Parsons.:siren:

Quinn also made the falcons defense pretty good in a short turn around when he first became their head coach. At least briefly for the start of his Atlanta tenure.

In conclusion, Micah Parsons is good and other stuff may be true. It’s impossible to know.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Good players don't exist in a vacuum. Quinn deserves plenty of credit for maximizing Parsons' potential and utilizing his unique skillet.

It you think that stuff is easy, might I point you to the 2023 Atlanta Falcons.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Benne posted:

Good players don't exist in a vacuum. Quinn deserves plenty of credit for maximizing Parsons' potential and utilizing his unique skillet.

It you think that stuff is easy, might I point you to the 2023 Atlanta Falcons.

Yea, I don’t think Quinn is an especially good talent evaluator based on how his stint at Atlanta went so I’m not sure he’s a good head coach candidate, but utilizing the talent that’s there is like the primary goal of a coordinator and plenty of them fail at it.

Is there a good DC out there who is doing it with bad talent? Dennis Allen maybe?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Agree with the assessment that Sirianni is safe for this season barring a truly catastrophic meltdown. They'll either have another division title on their belt or a (probable) softball WC opponent in the NFCS champ, and then he has the most obvious scapegoat firing in the world with Matt Patricia. Next year will for sure be a test though, especially if the Eagles have another good draft.

Also I was one of the first people to predict that Eberflus would be safe this season, feels nice to get one of these right for a change.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Agree with the assessment that Sirianni is safe for this season barring a truly catastrophic meltdown. They'll either have another division title on their belt or a (probable) softball WC opponent in the NFCS champ
I agree with you on Sirianni but they just got rinsed by a 3-win team at home and have lost 4 of 5, nobody is a softball opponent at this point.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
There was just this Rapoport article on NFL.com and does pretty much sound like he’s gonna be in the NFL next year? Everything is essentially source from his or his own agent and he’s already filling out his staff

Some interesting tidbits

quote:

(Sources say at least one notable member of that San Francisco staff, offensive coordinator Greg Roman, is likely to be part of a potential Harbaugh NFL staff in some capacity.)

During previous interviews, Harbaugh was thought to only take a job that would include the hire of his preferred GM. Sources now say that's not in Harbaugh's mind. He's much more flexible than in previous years, open to a variety of structures with an acknowledgement that the structure of NFL buildings has changed since he last coached in the league.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Wrong thread

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Adun posted:

There was just this Rapoport article on NFL.com and does pretty much sound like he’s gonna be in the NFL next year? Everything is essentially source from his or his own agent and he’s already filling out his staff

Some interesting tidbits

Harbaugh and Roman in Atlanta would be a loving nightmare. He'd probably turn around Oakland as well and the Chargers already have an elite QB. Lotta good options for them

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Harbaugh and Roman in Atlanta would be a loving nightmare. He'd probably turn around Oakland as well and the Chargers already have an elite QB. Lotta good options for them

I'll speak an awful idea into existence, even though it ain't happening:

Tom Brady ensorcels Harbaugh using Michigan Man magicks to head to Foxboro, with Tom's motivation being for Bill's successor at HC to come in and immediately perform better in New England than Bill did in 2023 & at his next stop.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Brady will be part owner of the raiders next year (i think?) sooooo

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I don’t give a poo poo about the Falcons but it’s been infuriating to watch them snap up top talent and waste it year after year. So I am down to see what the hell happens with Harbaugh + Roman + Fields

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tepper hiring a firm to do his evaluation is better than his current method which was to have them talk to his wife and go off her vibes.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Tepper hiring a firm to do his evaluation is better than his current method which was to have them talk to his wife and go off her vibes.

Agreed but would it surprise you in any way if he takes their evaluation, flushes it down the toilet, and does what he and his wife want anyway

Also isn’t a search firm how we ended up with Condoleeza Rice as a candidate for the Browns?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah but Condoleeza Rice is a massive football fan and was once floated as potentially joining the league office as a potential commissioner. Not saying I'd hire her, but it's not as though its as crazy as you might think when you're looking for a front office wonk.

But you're right. The only way the Panthers find a modicum of success and actually get someone effective in place that stays in place is going to be stupid, nigh impossible levels of luck because it won't be competence.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

BlindSite posted:

Is he going to have that firm recommend a new team president who'll hire a GM who'll hire a coach?

Lmao, was curious about the firm (Sportsology), and saw Google had 4 reviews about their product:

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Black Sunshine posted:

A gigantic one. Dude has no people skills.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

kalensc posted:

Is he going to have that firm recommend a new team president who'll hire a GM who'll hire a coach?

Lmao, was curious about the firm (Sportsology), and saw Google had 4 reviews about their product:

Glad that last guy is around to help them out.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1743967089038082316?s=46

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He was there for four years?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Search firms have to be the biggest scam going, incredible that teams keep hiring them

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Nodoze posted:

Search firms have to be the biggest scam going, incredible that teams keep hiring them
They’re basically designed to appeal to executive-brained billionaires, which is apparently a highly-lucrative and sustainable business model.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

CharlestheHammer posted:

He was there for four years?

Yeah, Tepper canned him during his first season of owning the Panthers and the following season Washington hired him

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kurgarra Queen posted:

They’re basically designed to appeal to executive-brained billionaires, which is apparently a highly-lucrative and sustainable business model.

It is. Half these guys come from businesses where they’ll flush millions on a team of 26 year old McKinsey or Bain consultants that have little to no actual experience themselves because it places a wedge of responsibility in the decision making process and they can just say “not our fault, we hired the best!”

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

That and search firms are often smaller teams and are less close to beat journalists than your own staffers, so you can try to play the process at least closer to your own chest. Can’t stop agents from leaking still.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Diva Cupcake posted:

It is. Half these guys come from businesses where they’ll flush millions on a team of 26 year old McKinsey or Bain consultants that have little to no actual experience themselves because it places a wedge of responsibility in the decision making process and they can just say “not our fault, we hired the best!”

Can't remember which NFL franchise hired Korn Ferry to conduct a coaching search a few years back, but my wife was employed there for a year and change and absolutely hated it. This take is extremely correct based on what I saw from her.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

C-Euro posted:

Can't remember which NFL franchise hired Korn Ferry to conduct a coaching search a few years back, but my wife was employed there for a year and change and absolutely hated it. This take is extremely correct based on what I saw from her.

It was the Bucs, and my entire memory of that is related to this post which still makes me laugh:

skaboomizzy posted:

I don't see how a boat playing "Freak On A Leash" will help, but go ahead, I guess

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Jets also used Korn Ferry to hire Mike Maccagnan who was one of the worst GMs in NFL history.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm honestly surprised they kept him on after the, "we could have made the playoffs?" Thing last season. But I guess if you're already accepting a lost season why not keep him?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

That and search firms are often smaller teams and are less close to beat journalists than your own staffers, so you can try to play the process at least closer to your own chest. Can’t stop agents from leaking still.

There’s also pretty strict limits on who and how teams can contact candidates so having a third party do the work initially helps with that.

Also these teams are now having to commit $50+m to a coach and his staff. Not a surprise these guys want to pay for as much due diligence as possible

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Love how Jerry Richardson used an Ernie accorsi as an outside consultant and he just used that as an opportunity to dump gettleman on someone else.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Jets also used Korn Ferry to hire Mike Maccagnan who was one of the worst GMs in NFL history.

Thanks for all the Corn chat, reminding me of Corn Elder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Docjowles posted:

Agreed but would it surprise you in any way if he takes their evaluation, flushes it down the toilet, and does what he and his wife want anyway

Also isn’t a search firm how we ended up with Condoleeza Rice as a candidate for the Browns?

She was never actually a candidate. That was just a joke that gained legs.