Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
consuming ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Keep in mind the turnover in the aerospace industry is < 2 years so anyone largely in the know about MCAS have probably left for someone else

This is because the MBAs having the same benefits as your older peers or raises impossible

What you find in aerospace organizations is a ton of young people, a ton of people about to retire, and nothing in between

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Truniht posted:

I don’t fully agree with this take. Large institutions such as Boeing encourage siloing such that most of the engineers who are directly involved in the MCAS would never know let alone be able to call out what’s wrong with it.

Boeing can make good planes, but they’ve been wholly taken over by private equity firms who are trying to take their own practices to engineering trade studies. Private equity firms have no business owning critical manufacturing in the US.

private equity in general exists to drain society dry

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

private equity in general exists to drain society dry

Sounds like they're ideal accelerationists... :getin:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Truniht posted:

Boeing can make good planes, but they’ve been wholly taken over by private equity firms who are trying to take their own practices to engineering trade studies. Private equity firms have no business owning critical manufacturing in the US.

Boeing adopted McDonnell Douglas' spreadsheet accounting management practices is what happened. McDonnell Douglas bought Boeing with Boeing's money is a tired but true joke.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol these things still crack me up
https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1744031103252398156

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What if 95% of the production of every single human endeavor got earmarked for a vanishingly small minority of ultra-wealthy people who need it the least out of anyone on earth? the answer: the most efficient possible economic model

imagine the poo poo we could accomplish with something like Amazon if basically all of its profit wasn't dedicated to making number go up on Jeff Bezos' bank account

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

what I'm saying is nationalize Amazon, and every other big tech company especially Uber (nationalize and liquidate them)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

loquacius posted:

imagine the poo poo we could accomplish with something like Amazon if basically all of its profit wasn't dedicated to making number go up on Jeff Bezos' bank account
tbf to Amazon, all of the profits are reinvested into capex. they have not done a dividend or buyback (yet) which is how profit is converted to shareholder wealth. but yes the employed executive c-suite class still makes $$$$ in wages

bezos stock wealth is due to institutions and bag holders dumping speculative investments into it. stock wealth is almost entirely fictitious and exists due to speculative gamblers

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Xaris posted:

tbf to Amazon,

lol

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Rectal Death Alert posted:

I'm this person.

Without going into too much detail the CFR governing manufacturing is very general and vague and it's up to organizations to decide what is compliant. This leads to subjective opinions ruling the day in endless fights about semantics and the definition of specific words.

After fighting for 12-24 months with dozens of meetings and hundreds of emails on several industry standard changes with people who just refuse to listen I recently broke down and started dog walking them in meetings with elaborate pre-prepared takedowns that have citations and references. Enough evidence no person would be able to disagree.

The executives are now mad that I am violating decorum and are threatening to fire me. They don't care why fights are happening they just want them to stop and I'm just the person starting fights. C-Suite doesn't seem capable of looking at the context of the situation and are jumping into the fray against me making me literally one person against the world trying to do the right thing with all of the evidence on my side.

I think I'm going to quit and go dig holes because It's a literal loving nightmare. I work in an episode of the twilight zone and I honestly imagine this is what hell is like.

Why do those loving idiots not care that their fecklessness is probably going to get people maimed or killed?

If I have nuts in a recipe, I treat it like the loving balls of chemicals inside the bombs in The Rock.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Truniht posted:

I don’t fully agree with this take. Large institutions such as Boeing encourage siloing such that most of the engineers who are directly involved in the MCAS would never know let alone be able to call out what’s wrong with it.

Disagree - This is a capitalist country. The government does not make baby formula, nor should it. Companies make formula. Same for planes and missiles. And companies go to whoever can force another company to take on incredible unsustainable debt and enrich already rich 90 year old ghouls

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

sleep with the vicious posted:

This is a capitalist country.
Wait a goddamned minute there friend, while I look this up.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Animal-Mother posted:

Why do those loving idiots not care that their fecklessness is probably going to get people maimed or killed?

If I have nuts in a recipe, I treat it like the loving balls of chemicals inside the bombs in The Rock.

where did you obtain this classified photo of Saddam Hussein's WMD factory

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If this is a capitalist country, explain why the grocery store is sometimes out of stuff I want. That's what I thought.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

lol "GLOBAL WARMING killed all these pigs right here in a big pile."

A farmer paid some hunters to kill the hogs destroying his crops and that's just where they dumped them and some natgeo guys set up a time lapse.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

loquacius posted:

If this is a capitalist country, explain why the grocery store is sometimes out of stuff I want. That's what I thought.

Grocery stores having 10 brands of chips for $5/bag all owned by the same multinational conglomerate and also constant shortages is true peace on earth

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
it wouldn't be freedom if I couldn't choose from infinite flavors of hot chip

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

loquacius posted:

capitalism requires both enormous waste and enormous shortages

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

sleep with the vicious posted:

Disagree - This is a capitalist country. The government does not make baby formula, nor should it. Companies make formula. Same for planes and missiles. And companies go to whoever can force another company to take on incredible unsustainable debt and enrich already rich 90 year old ghouls
private in this sense means not a public company, it’s not a distinction about state affiliation

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
that's a half syq

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
also a company can be 100% state owned and directed and still be 100% capitalist lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Needs the King of the Hill theme over the vultures.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

that's a half syq

Yeah. But Why was the secretary of transportation even commenting on baby formula shortages anyway lol

Also the shortages never stopped, in some areas they are worse

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

i think they had him comment because he had recently adopted two kids

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

where did you obtain this classified photo of Saddam Hussein's WMD factory

no thats actually the idf revealing the latest hamas rockets

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SeanSafyre/status/1744138937239822685

not really related but why is the terrain so green? I looked it up and the flight was taking off from Oregon - isn't that way up north and it's the first week of January, shouldn't it be cold?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

that door definitely could have been a donnie darko situation

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

not really related but why is the terrain so green? I looked it up and the flight was taking off from Oregon - isn't that way up north and it's the first week of January, shouldn't it be cold?

lol, lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

Got some bad news about the weather, big guy

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

it’s been an absurdly warm winter in the PNW. we are only getting our first really cold weekend next weekend.

climate change.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Western Oregon and Washington usually have mild winters, that isn't that unusual

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

We're going to boil to death this year, OP.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
that phone's like the iraq war gameboy of our generation

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

We're hitting some pretty awesome tipping points this year!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's what it's like up here, relatively mild and very rainy makes everything that's not a tree green as gently caress all winter

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
All the doomsday threads will converge someday soon and spit out the four horseman of the apocalypse:

NUMBER
SARS
Bdelloid
Brain damage

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Got some bad news about the weather, big guy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s been an absurdly warm winter in the PNW. we are only getting our first really cold weekend next weekend.

climate change.

Horseshoe theory posted:

We're going to boil to death this year, OP.

gently caress ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Check this out: Bloeing