Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Your choices are Magcargo or Houndoom (post game only lol), maybe Magmar if you count Magby.

There's also Entei and Ho-Oh

e: Might I recommend teaching an Ampharos Fire Punch as an alternative?

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Depends on how far in you are. Slugma isn't great but serviceable (gets better later). Magby-Magmar if you're playing Crystal can pop out of the free daycare egg and is an ok slot in

Eventually Entei or Ho-oh are gonna be your best bets.

Flareon exists but since it's Gen2 you're probably gonna want one of the "new" evos

Type diversity was a weak point in the early games. It's nice that they have a menagerie of options to field whole teams early on now

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Scholtz posted:

Your choices are Magcargo or Houndoom (post game only lol), maybe Magmar if you count Magby.

There's also Entei and Ho-Oh

e: Might I recommend teaching an Ampharos Fire Punch as an alternative?

Or just bite the bullet and grab a Growlithe or Vulpix, evolve your Eevee into Flareon or wait a bit and get a Ponyta.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

In the remakes you can get a slugma egg pretty early on iirc

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I think the only regions where the player absolutely needs to make a team using Pokemon introduced in the same generation are Gen 3 Ruby and Sapphire and Black and White in Gen 5.

In other regions I think its optional to ignore them entirely and make teams of just older Pokemon.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Muscle Tracer posted:

Good. It's been too long since I logged into a raid with three Iron Hands.

Maybe Miraidon. Resists Brave Bird and Flare Blitz or whatever other Fire move he's likely to have. Metal Sound + Reflect or Charge Beam + Parabolic Charge + Electro Drift with a Magnet or Shell Bell or Air Balloon?

Only move I'd be worried about is Close Combat (though that has its drawbacks) or Earthquake/Bulldoze.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 8, 2024

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

think I’m just gonna bring that Azumarill I made November 2022

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zuzie posted:

I think the only regions where the player absolutely needs to make a team using Pokemon introduced in the same generation are Gen 3 Ruby and Sapphire and Black and White in Gen 5.

In other regions I think its optional to ignore them entirely and make teams of just older Pokemon.

Well yeah but it’s more fun to use guys from that Gen imo. Keeps you from using the same folks over and over.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zuzie posted:

Or just bite the bullet and grab a Growlithe or Vulpix, evolve your Eevee into Flareon or wait a bit and get a Ponyta.

I just got a Vuplix outside Ecutreak, I am having issues killing my rivals Bayleaf it's so bulky thats why I wanted a fire type. I don't have bug, poison and my flying type is a hoothoot which tends to be defensive as well and can't punch through bulky poo poo. I got Ekans/Nidorina and Paras but I don't think I'll train them so Vulpix it is since im on SS version.

So far I been beating the rival with Ghastly's curse and most gyms I struggled with I used Ghastly as my trap card. Croconaw learns Ice Fang so that is useful but you need to put Bayleaf to sleep to get in.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 8, 2024

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Support-wise this looks like a jorb for Armarouge with Reflect, using Clear Smog to void buffs, Lava Plume for its high +Burn rate and SpDam, and maybe run Iron Defense too. Might wanna consider Trick to plant an item on them if the Flying move they use is Acrobatics

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ulio posted:

I just got a Vuplix outside Ecutreak, I am having issues killing my rivals Bayleaf it's so bulky thats why I wanted a fire type. I don't have bug, poison and my flying type is a hoothoot which tends to be defensive as well and can't punch through bulky poo poo. I got Ekans/Nidorina and Paras but I don't think I'll train them so Vulpix it is since im on SS version.

So far I been beating the rival with Ghastly's curse and most gyms I struggled with I used Ghastly as my trap card. Croconaw learns Ice Fang so that is useful but you need to put Bayleaf to sleep to get in.
ice beam and flamethrower are available at goldenrod gamecorner

Since you're in ecruteak i think you can make it to the lapras in union cave (on fridays). It'll take super effective damage but Lapras is tankier and higher damage than bayleaf, especially if you got ice beam.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Theres probably like a dozen poison pokemon available too, like the nidos and koffing. Bug/poison and grass/poison are quad resist to grass and both types should be easily available in ariados, bellsprout and i believe venonat is in the forest?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ulio posted:

Whats a good fire type in gen 2 if you don't take cyndaquil?

Do you mean gen2 as in literally playing GSC or just Pokémon introduced in gen2? Because you can get Slugma/Mancargo as early as Violet City in HGSS and he works great in that game. Otherwise every other Johto Fire type is either a legendary or post game only. If you’re playing actual gen2 and any mon goes Arcanine and Ninetales are right there at the start and are the best you’re going to get barring Entei.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Actually don't you get u-turn from beating bugsy in gen 4

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Nihilarian posted:

Since you're in ecruteak i think you can make it to the lapras in union cave (on fridays). It'll take super effective damage but Lapras is tankier and higher damage than bayleaf, especially if you got ice beam.

It never occurred to me until now how wacky it is that GF decided a Lapras would have a weekly schedule. Tuesday - poker with the guys, Wednesday - brunch with Miltank, Friday - swim around aimlessly in a cave

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hammerite posted:

It never occurred to me until now how wacky it is that GF decided a Lapras would have a weekly schedule. Tuesday - poker with the guys, Wednesday - brunch with Miltank, Friday - swim around aimlessly in a cave

Didn't they keep doing this? I seem to remember DP having a whole cast of characters that only showed up on certain days of the week.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Muscle Tracer posted:

Didn't they keep doing this? I seem to remember DP having a whole cast of characters that only showed up on certain days of the week.

what I mean is, Lapras is an animal. Exceptions exist, but animals typically aren't aware of what day of the week it is.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Hammerite posted:

what I mean is, Lapras is an animal. Exceptions exist, but animals typically aren't aware of what day of the week it is.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Lapras I'm pretty sure are explicitly stated to be intelligent enough to understand human speech, so one should be able to know days of the week.

also it's not the same Lapras every time. Probably they just know that Friday is when humans tend to come visiting, so that's when a Lapras that's interested in making a human friend chooses to pop by. It's a social animal, it can't afford to be hanging around a random cave every gosh drat day.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Drifloon is at the Valley Windworks on a specific day too haha

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hammerite posted:

That loving Lapras was my bane for a while, because I would make a note to go catch it on Friday, forget on the day, make another note, and repeat while getting distracted by other games.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

Yeah that's the one I was thinking of. I guess I assumed there were more, one for each day of the week, like the family that gave you type-boosting items in GSC.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Do you mean gen2 as in literally playing GSC or just Pokémon introduced in gen2? Because you can get Slugma/Mancargo as early as Violet City in HGSS and he works great in that game. Otherwise every other Johto Fire type is either a legendary or post game only. If you’re playing actual gen2 and any mon goes Arcanine and Ninetales are right there at the start and are the best you’re going to get barring Entei.

I should have reworded, I didn't mean gen 2. I am playing Soul Silver so Gen 4 but I don't believe in these remakes they had many new mons from even gen 3 or 4. I caught a Magmar which seems better off the bat than Vulpix which has poo poo moves and I have to train. I know someone said you can buy flamethrower at golden rod, I need to look into that as well. But usually I do prefer to use pokemons from that region I am playing in but its not a strict rule.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That loving Lapras was my bane for a while, because I would make a note to go catch it on Friday, forget on the day, make another note, and repeat while getting distracted by other games.

if you think that’s bad try evolving Ursaring into Ursaluna in Pokémon Go, lol. I kept forgetting when the full moon was and then I like…had to wait for nightfall when I’m usually busy etc

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Lapras isn't an animal it's a boat

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

I started Totodile so would it be much to have Lapras with another full water type? I also got ice fang on it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ulio posted:

I started Totodile so would it be much to have Lapras with another full water type? I also got ice fang on it.
type diversity is an arbitrary limitation and you can use whatever pokemon you want. FTR I don't think lapras is the best choice here though it will certainly be better than your totodile at least until it evolves, you would have to wait several days to grab it. I would go do the bug catching contest and see what you get, or grab a poison type. I think you can get a fire stone around there and evolve your vulpix too.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PokemonTV will be shutting down by the end of March 2024, and the various Pokemon seasons will be scattered to the winds of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and more

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/pokemon-tv-to-discontinue-in-march-2024

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Genuinely loving laughing that the core of the anime is spread over 7 loving streaming services.

Seven.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If they don't respect you, you don't have to respect them either.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Reoxygenation posted:

Genuinely loving laughing that the core of the anime is spread over 7 loving streaming services.

Seven.

How does this happen? Is every single season considered a different series with different rights ownership?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I assume either incompetence, or just more profitable for them to license streaming rights to several platforms.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Portland VGC regionals was a fun watch this weekend btw. got me wanting to train up my Chien-Pao

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I’ve already looked around, but does anyone know of a real paper book/pamphlet that breaks down battle mechanics for kids?

There are all sorts of guide books I’ve gotten my son for minecraft, but all I can find for pokemon is the pokedex style, which while somewhat useful for looking up enemy types doesn’t have jack or poo poo about actual game mechanics.

Kiddo is way to young for internet self-research, but would gobble up a book that goes over things like “what are PPs, what does burning an opponent due, how long does sleep last, what is a critical hit, what are physical and special attacks, etc, etc.

I’ve already printed out and laminated the type chart for him, but kinda shocked there isnt some sort of guidebook floating around.

Ahh the good old days of prima guides…

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I’ve already looked around, but does anyone know of a real paper book/pamphlet that breaks down battle mechanics for kids?

There are all sorts of guide books I’ve gotten my son for minecraft, but all I can find for pokemon is the pokedex style, which while somewhat useful for looking up enemy types doesn’t have jack or poo poo about actual game mechanics.

Kiddo is way to young for internet self-research, but would gobble up a book that goes over things like “what are PPs, what does burning an opponent due, how long does sleep last, what is a critical hit, what are physical and special attacks, etc, etc.

I’ve already printed out and laminated the type chart for him, but kinda shocked there isnt some sort of guidebook floating around.

I mean, I remeber having the Prima guide for Red. I wonder when they last printed one? Aside from Tera, not much has changed with the formula since like gen 4, so a Prima Guide for something like Pearl Version should be mostly accurate mechanics-wise.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Muscle Tracer posted:

I mean, I remeber having the Prima guide for Red. I wonder when they last printed one? Aside from Tera, not much has changed with the formula since like gen 4, so a Prima Guide for something like Pearl Version should be mostly accurate mechanics-wise.

Apparently, Prima stopped printing physical guides in 2019 during SwSh's time. They still exist online (now owned by the same people as The Escapist) but are really just like any other online tips website. Really sad cause I still have some of them too and they were great overall.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

SpaceCadetBob posted:

From what I could gather from about ten seconds of googling, they do still make physical guides...but only in Japan. So if you're looking for guides for the most recent games, you'll have to get your kid started early on his JSL. Prima was bought out in 2021, so they still made physical books all the way up until Sword & Shield as far as I'm aware. As for what's in 'em? No idea, haven't owned one of these guides since Gen 3. Man, those guides were cool as heck...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Lapras isn't an animal it's a boat

Reading this, my brain instantly went: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP0m-PJozWo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

Drifloon was quite literally targeting kids out to play at the end of the school week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Reminder that the SV Epilogue event drops this Thursday (though apparently an entire playthrough of the story portion is already out on YouTube), seems like aside from maybe some extra development for the Paldea trio all it really adds is one new pokemon and unlocks the remaining Special Coaches after the fact.

Also apparently you don’t start the story portion from the school for once and instead need to visit a shop in Kitakami

I’ve also seen a few rumblings online about this revealing some “secret” regarding Nemona as well (maybe they’ll finally tell us where she originally came from or something)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 10, 2024