Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

If it's Bloeing I'm going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
pnw is always* mild due to the rockies causing rainclouds to accumulate on their west

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Horseshoe theory posted:

We're going to boil to death this year, OP.
yup

straight up we're entering extremely wild territory for the foreseeable future. it's not just el nino, which has actually been pretty weak this year and is only likely contributing maybe a small fraction of the chart.

our rain here in CA has been absolutely dogshit. like rain for maybe 3 hours once a week, followed by clear blue sunny skies the remaining 6 days of the week

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:18 on Jan 8, 2024

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

LonsomeSon posted:

i think they had him comment because he had recently adopted two kids

and took pictures of themselves in a hospital bed lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

gradenko_2000 posted:

gently caress ...

6 sigma seems serious, but there are actually an infinite number of sigmas, so in comparison its quite a small deviation.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Number go up

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

George H.W. oval office posted:

I almost got smeared on the sidewalk the other day because there's a part in downtown that is a forced turn but its kinda hard to see it so cars just blow through wanting to go straight and have to last minute swerve into the other lane or jump the sidewalk. It's really cool that you're not safe anywhere!

A civil aviation influencer that was killed in a pilot error crash recently also posted dashcam video on their channel, and it’s just them absentmindedly blowing stop signs and almost crashing when blowing a stop sign to merge, all in a big luxury SUV, just on the short drive from the airport to a fast food restaurant.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

Number go up

Nancy Pelosi’s 2023 trading gains top 65%, boosted by stock options: report

quote:

Nancy Pelosi’s investment portfolio is once again among the top performers on Capitol Hill – and lately she has gotten a major boost from a controversial use of stock options, according to government disclosures.

The 83-year-old, former House speaker – who remains a Democratic congresswoman representing San Francisco – racked up a 65% return on her stocks portfolio in 2023 – more than double the S&P 500’s 24% gain, according to a new analysis from stock-trading data site Unusual Whales.

Pelosi wasn’t alone, with other options-happy members of Congress among the top-performing investors. Those included Rep. Mark Green (R-Tenn.), who logged a return of more than 122%; and Rep. Josh Gottheimer (D-NJ), who was up more than 25%.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1744220082971070868?t=Wj4VkcFNWuNOY1N1TwSN0g&s=19

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol, although the CVR wasn’t probably going to contribute anything to the investigation anyway

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

It's like the 18 1/2 minute gap on the Nixon tapes!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Clint Eastwood already optioning the rights to Sully 2

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Epstein jail cam vibes

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I mean we have the conversation with the ATC where the controllers completely miss that a mayday's been called in and just casually radio the plane a bit later with "oh hey unknown why are you deviating from your flight path back to us???" and then once they get things explained to them still ask if the pilot wants to do some laps around the airport to burn off fuel before coming in for an emergency landing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

Epstein jail cam vibes

Steve Airplane

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gradenko_2000 posted:

gently caress ...

it'll buff out

what are you, some kind of COMMUNIST who cares about BREATHING?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There's nothing that would have been useful on those tapes. This was clearly a maintenance and structure problem. The pilots didn't cause this.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol, although the CVR wasn’t probably going to contribute anything to the investigation anyway

Yup, this.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I mean we are possibly missing out on the pilots cursing the inept ATC out off radio

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So much for the "pilot error" angle Boeing might try again.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its funny. but pretty much. i can't imagine there's anything other than some variation of:

quote:

pilot: oh gently caress atc two eight eight niner come in stump town. we just had an explosive decompression of the cabin, deployed emergency oxygen and requesting immediate emergency landing
atc: uhhhhhhhhh errrrrrr can you repeat that. wait hold on let me grab my coffee
pilot: i said emergency, emergency, we need clearance for emergency landing
atc: roger. that errrrr doesn't sound too good there pilot. let me talk to my supe and see what we can do fer ya

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

skooma512 posted:

So much for the "pilot error" angle Boeing might try again.

Nuh-uh, it was a pilot error, they just can't prove it. You gotta trust the smart man in the fancy suit. Don't look look at the blueprints please.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Sydin posted:

I mean we have the conversation with the ATC where the controllers completely miss that a mayday's been called in and just casually radio the plane a bit later with "oh hey unknown why are you deviating from your flight path back to us???" and then once they get things explained to them still ask if the pilot wants to do some laps around the airport to burn off fuel before coming in for an emergency landing.

im not an expert but i think the burning of fuel thing is a pretty standard thing that could need to be done to land safely as the landing weight needs to be lower than the takeoff weight

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maybe the pilots should strike for safe working conditions.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

gradenko_2000 posted:

gently caress ...

Something legitimately seems to have changed over the last ~18-24 months and even people who are deeply doombrained about this stuff are taking notice.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

a dire warning to canadians dealing with a broken healthcare system; it could be worse

looking forward to it! :buddy:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

pnw is always* mild due to the rockies causing rainclouds to accumulate on their west

mild because of the ocean and rain accumulates west of the cascades

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

recursive fuckups

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

We can unground the Maxes, guys, Bob found the door plug.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1744231388058911072?t=2liOcJ2rNGthKsPAOh-7uw&s=19

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

If I had a new laptop and the screen just fell off after 10 weeks I wouldn't be asking for a repair. I'd be asked for a full refund.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

im not an expert but i think the burning of fuel thing is a pretty standard thing that could need to be done to land safely as the landing weight needs to be lower than the takeoff weight

Also not an expert but I think that's less of a priority when your plane has a big hole in it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

its the cascades homie, not the rockies

Xaris posted:

since economics = consumption, just fyi aliexpress is having their winter sale in about 8 hours. it's basically if Prime Day didn't suck entire rear end. going to pickup a TS101 soldering iron, some insanely powerful flashlights, some powerbanks, and another 100-pack of melamine sponges. also if anyone needs a 4TB NVME, they've got em for $25. if you want your cheap junk, might as well get 'em directly from the source for 1/2 the price of amazon.

yo I got one of those cheap NVMEs and its garbage, would not recommend- the speed is horrific and it failed after a few weeks of light file transfers

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mild and endemic

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Good news for sports fans. The NFL has decided to make one playoff game exclusive to Peacock.

https://theathletic.com/5169841/2024/01/05/nfl-nbc-peacock-playoff-game/

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

There's nothing that would have been useful on those tapes. This was clearly a maintenance and structure problem. The pilots didn't cause this.

Seems like you can't proof they didn't without the voice recorder :smug:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

German anti-fascists aim to trademark Nazi slogans to ‘hit them where it hurts’

quote:

“Nazis are innovative,” Knittel says. “And my role in this job is to solve problems creatively.” So he linked up with an anti-fascist initiative, Laut gegen Nazis (Loud against Nazis, LGN), and a Hamburg law firm, to put a dent in the neo-Nazis’ business model via the trademark office. Their campaign is called Rights Against the Right.

It has scored its first success, securing the rights at the European Trademark Office to the abbreviation VTR LND, effectively blocking Nazi online stores from using it. Cease and desist letters have gone out to inform them it is now trademark-protected and merchandise that carries the abbreviation is being sold illegally.

“VTR LND is the bestseller in three online shops, according to their own filtering mechanisms,” Knittel says. “So we’ve hit them where it hurts.”

[...]

Items with the HKNKRZ and VTR LND slogans were among his bestsellers, he said. “So landing a coup against merchandise is one of the strongest things you can do against rightwing extremism.”

This is your brain on liberalism

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

fits my needs posted:

like, did anything ever happen to anyone responsible for like that florida building collapsing and splattering a buncha people? didnt a bridge fall on a bunch of cars and kill some people there too?

yeah, it actually snowballed into a bunch of extra busy work for security guards lol

securitas was the contractor for the guard who was working the front desk at the building. when the collapse was apparent, instead of hitting an evacuation button to clear out the building, he started calling apartments one by one alerting them to leave. he got to like 8 rooms before the building flattened the other hundred or so people who were inside at the time.

securitas had to pay out like a billion dollars in an out of court settlement and added a shitload of training about emergency procedures to guards working pretty much everywhere lol

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/SeanSafyre/status/1744138937239822685

not really related but why is the terrain so green? I looked it up and the flight was taking off from Oregon - isn't that way up north and it's the first week of January, shouldn't it be cold?

because its a Mediterranean climate op

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

lol, its actually kind of a common thing in emergency flights that actually make safe landings. it's a recording of the last 30 minutes that constantly overwrites itself.

Sydin posted:

DickParasite posted:

Also not an expert but I think that's less of a priority when your plane has a big hole in it.

the landing gears and the air frame are designed to withstand a set load; if the plane is extremely overweight (which is pretty common on overseas or international flights) then even a safe landing can cause a blowout or structural failure, which could lead to all sorts of bad things you dont want a plane doing, like a gear collapsing, the plane coming apart on the run way, skewing off the run way, catching fire, etc. and depending on the nature of the emergency, landing with more fuel makes survivable fires much less so. see: the recent jp airways crash, which was landing after a normal flight and so was not carrying a lot of fuel. crashes and emergency landings shortly after takeoff involving fires usually end with everything being a smoldering ruin.

burning off fuel in a holding pattern or dumping it if it's urgent are both options.

ultimately the goal is for the pilots to land in the plane in the manner they deem to be the safest option for the lives on board, and the ATC is there to make sure that happens, which usually involves telling everyone else who might possibly get in the way of the plane to get the gently caress off and start alerting emergency services what is going on. fuel is a pretty important thing to discuss between the parties so emergency services can be prepped for fire control reasons.

also the hole itself is sort of *not* a big deal, depending on how big and when it happens. keep in mind a plane (aloha 243) miraculously landed after more than half the fuselage ripped itself off once, depressurizing the entire cabin and flight deck and severing some flight controls, at a much higher altitude. coincidentally it was also a boeing 737 lol

Minera has issued a correction as of 12:25 on Jan 8, 2024

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
lmao at people still having faith in the faa/irs/etc and their plans/procedures mattering/being implemented properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/Mayhem4Markets/status/1743994826322817319