Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gorn Myson posted:

He's actually correct that a few of women pundits should be sacked but I'd add that almost all of the men should be too. The bar is so low for that kind of career.

Mate, if you think the punditry on English football is grim I beg you to put on Radio Scotland on a Saturday afternoon from 2pm. It's all on the BBC website even if you're a Sassenach. Swear to god the barrier for being able to be on that show isn't even "can string a coherent sentence together", it's just "ex-pro, preferably for one of the Old Firm", even if it was for 8 minutes as a youth player (looking at you Rory Loy) so you get absolute loving barrel scraping barely sentient fuckwits like Peter Grant & Pat Bonner (sorry, Packie Bonner). Bonner is possibly the single worst sports pundit I've heard, his sheer lack of interest in anyone other than Celtic is befuddling. If he only cares about Celtic, fine, but then buy your own ticket to the game, don't get paid to attend by the national broadcaster. And the guy who's host now, Kenny McIntyre, is interested in 2 things, Glasgow Rangers & endless discussions of VAR. Oh my god I miss the days when BBC Scotland were barred from Ibrox. He couldn't host a pissup in a distillery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Sanford posted:

Hope no-one minds a bit of a ranty self-post. Please feel free to ignore but I’m definitely open to any thoughts anyone has.

I work in a very small sector as a client manager for some specific software products. I share the role with a single colleague who, during 2023, managed 106 full days in the office - and that’s counting in before 10 and stayed later than 4 as full days. Sometimes he calls in, sometimes he just doesn’t turn up. He has bad anxiety and, I believe, some other issues too.

He wasn’t in all last week and this morning said thanks for picking up all his stuff, sorry about that. I said “you’re welcome but honestly mate I’m getting used to it” with a laugh he laughed too… and now he’s gone and told the CEO I am being unwelcoming, making it harder for him to come back to work, and it’s not my business if he’s in or not. I’ve been asked to give the CEO a call this afternoon. We get on fine.

I am entirely unsure what to do. If my guy has bad MH poo poo going on I don’t want to be the one saying to the boss that he’s got to get this loving sorted, but on the other hand at this rate he’s going to have both client managers off with brain madness of one kind or another. I don’t know what to do. We took him on 15 months ago because I was saying I’d be over capacity in six months. I’m still doing 90% of the work and now with an added element of uncertainty. Anyone got any advice?

do you think the fact that you know exactly how many days and hours your colleague has been in the office in the past year might point to maybe you being a little, understandably, miffed by your situation and that it might have resulted in other behaviour that you may not have noticed but that your colleague has found unwelcoming, and that the awkward joke at their expense was simply the final straw for them?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Back to square one? You mean like a do over?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

time to rehash all the articles of union

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sanford posted:

Hope no-one minds a bit of a ranty self-post. Please feel free to ignore but I’m definitely open to any thoughts anyone has.

I work in a very small sector as a client manager for some specific software products. I share the role with a single colleague who, during 2023, managed 106 full days in the office - and that’s counting in before 10 and stayed later than 4 as full days. Sometimes he calls in, sometimes he just doesn’t turn up. He has bad anxiety and, I believe, some other issues too.

He wasn’t in all last week and this morning said thanks for picking up all his stuff, sorry about that. I said “you’re welcome but honestly mate I’m getting used to it” with a laugh he laughed too… and now he’s gone and told the CEO I am being unwelcoming, making it harder for him to come back to work, and it’s not my business if he’s in or not. I’ve been asked to give the CEO a call this afternoon. We get on fine.

I am entirely unsure what to do. If my guy has bad MH poo poo going on I don’t want to be the one saying to the boss that he’s got to get this loving sorted, but on the other hand at this rate he’s going to have both client managers off with brain madness of one kind or another. I don’t know what to do. We took him on 15 months ago because I was saying I’d be over capacity in six months. I’m still doing 90% of the work and now with an added element of uncertainty. Anyone got any advice?

If it were me I would probably speak to him and ask if there is anything that would help him manage his work better. I guess technically you should speak to your boss about that but it depends on your relationship whether that is going to get him in the poo poo.

I do think you've a right to get the help you need doing the work and if he's making your job harder that's a legitimate issue. Just depends really on how you raising that will affect his/your job.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

keep punching joe posted:

People read his comment and think "gently caress, I didn't even realise that option was on the table!".

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

OwlFancier posted:

If it were me I would probably speak to him and ask if there is anything that would help him manage his work better. I guess technically you should speak to your boss about that but it depends on your relationship whether that is going to get him in the poo poo.

I do think you've a right to get the help you need doing the work and if he's making your job harder that's a legitimate issue. Just depends really on how you raising that will affect his/your job.

Thanks to you and everyone who replied. The boss says he has had a “very surprising” email from my colleague and they have a decision to make but it’ll be resolved very soon. I asked if it was conciliatory and thanking him for his patience and suggesting ways he can handle these challenges and my boss said “no, the opposite.” I guess he’s accused them of a load of poo poo and asked for a settlement to just gently caress off. There’s no chance he’d get anywhere with a tribunal but I’d certainly be inclined to pay him, if the loving off was guaranteed.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I'm sure he was moaning the other week about Isa Guha commentating on the cricket.

Now, what Joey Barton knows about cricket is anyone's guess, Isa is a fantastic commentator, very knowledgeable about the game.

Bellend.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

In the nicest possible way, you seem to not have good instincts for corporate survival. All communication with this person from now on should be business-essential and documentable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yeah that is why I said you should probably talk to your boss about it if you don't give a poo poo what happens to the dude.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sanford posted:

Thanks to you and everyone who replied. The boss says he has had a “very surprising” email from my colleague and they have a decision to make but it’ll be resolved very soon. I asked if it was conciliatory and thanking him for his patience and suggesting ways he can handle these challenges and my boss said “no, the opposite.” I guess he’s accused them of a load of poo poo and asked for a settlement to just gently caress off. There’s no chance he’d get anywhere with a tribunal but I’d certainly be inclined to pay him, if the loving off was guaranteed.

Very similar circumstances about 20 years ago though the guy had been with the company years, I inherited him following a reorganisation. He went off sick eventually. The company at the time would pay full wages for the first 6 months of sick then 6 months on half pay. BUT if the person came in off sick even for 1 day (and didn't last the day) the clock would reset and he'd get another 6 months on full pay which we got wind was his grand plan. Our company doctor said he wasn't fit to return to work, which was great, then one day the usual doctor was on leave and the guy saw a substitute doctor who assumed we wanted the guy back and suggested a 'back to work plan' which would have suited our man greatly as he could come in for a couple of hours on day one of 'return to work' and then get another 6 months full pay. Meanwhile, I had a job in the team that needed doing he was the only person doing that particular job - and it wasn't getting done and I wasn't allowed to get cover in. To cut a long story short, we paid him £20k to go away (that would be about £35k now).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Very similar circumstances about 20 years ago though the guy had been with the company years, I inherited him following a reorganisation. He went off sick eventually. The company at the time would pay full wages for the first 6 months of sick then 6 months on half pay. BUT if the person came in off sick even for 1 day (and didn't last the day) the clock would reset and he'd get another 6 months on full pay which we got wind was his grand plan. Our company doctor said he wasn't fit to return to work, which was great, then one day the usual doctor was on leave and the guy saw a substitute doctor who assumed we wanted the guy back and suggested a 'back to work plan' which would have suited our man greatly as he could come in for a couple of hours on day one of 'return to work' and then get another 6 months full pay. Meanwhile, I had a job in the team that needed doing he was the only person doing that particular job - and it wasn't getting done and I wasn't allowed to get cover in. To cut a long story short, we paid him £20k to go away (that would be about £35k now).

Lmao that's the kind of grift that tories could only dream of

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There was a lass at my old place who was off sick 90% of the time. Dunno what she got out of it cos we didn't get sick pay.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Microplastics posted:

Lmao that's the kind of grift that tories could only dream of

Honestly, good for him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Wachter posted:

I'm sure the guy has genuine problems but this is a totally rancid way to behave towards anyone, let alone a colleague who's been keeping him afloat for a year.

I've seen this pattern time and time again - you have been so accommodating, professional, and helpful that your bosses now see you as a bottomless, frictionless resource. You've now expressed a boundary, however obliquely, and they're shook. It shouldn't be your responsibility to do so - because any manager worth a poo poo should spot this pattern and intervene themselves - but you need to push back and explain that this incident has affected your mental health. I think it's also perfectly legitimate to tell your colleague that you would prefer that he at least mention issues like this to you directly before going over your head and landing you in the poo poo.

Sorry it's happened to you.

If anything him now making a lovely complaint about you will often be the final nail in him getting the boot as management will now be terrified you walk off to another company leaving them with the person that just never comes in as their only trained resource.

It sounds like he came back to a 'we're going to do something about this' chat with HR and was reaching for things to fling at them to try and get out of it. 'My colleagues make it impossible to come to work' etc. It wont fly.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sanford posted:

Well, it could vary wildly depending on the size of a company (anybody can be the CEO of their own one man band), but generally a CEO/Managing Director of any multi departmental company will just want poo poo to run while they focus on whatever they need to do.

They also tend to not have much time or patience for "bullshit' from my experience. That "bullshit" being anything from banal small talk to mild disruptions to the company work flow/bottom line.

Chances are this guy is already on the CEOs shitlist for getting paid to not be at work (even if he's not allowed to say it). Being directly approached with a nebulous claim isn't going to make him seem more endearing.

Occams razoring this situation, you provide results, this guy doesn't, the CEO will be aware of this and not risk losing your effective resource to give the risky one preferential treatment.

If the other guy keeps this up, expect him to be managed out of the business.

Edit: if the call hasn't happened yet, it'll likely just be about getting your side of things and an understanding of the general departmental situation and this guys general workplace demeanor.

Kin fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 8, 2024

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Wachter posted:

I firmly believe that the last thought that flashed through that dude's mind before his alveoli dissolved into ketchup was "I hope to Christ there's never a woman on Match of the Day"

It's true, but first he had to hope that the BBC will be established a decade later, and that TV will be invented a few years after that, and that Match of the Day will be created in 50 years.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 8, 2024

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It's true, but first he had to hope that the BBC will be estabalished a decade later, and that TV will be invented a few years after that, and that Match of the Day will be created in 50 years.

He was truly a remarkable prognosticator and I can see why Joey wants to honour his memory

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gotta be impressed that this guy was clearly deliberately trying to antagonise you into saying something actionable only to have gotten so frustrated with your patience that he had to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I base this on him having that email loving primed and ready to go, by the way. Seems very much like the kind of person with a history of trying this poo poo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also my great grandfather also got gassed in WW1 and my grandfather fought in WW2 and so I win this game of top trumps Mr Barton and proclaim you a stupid oval office.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Failed Imagineer posted:

In the nicest possible way, you seem to not have good instincts for corporate survival. All communication with this person from now on should be business-essential and documentable.

I agree with this, the moment this guy made an official complaint against you, he put his cards on the table and you should document everything from this point forward.

Make contemporaneous notes of every missed day, every conversation you have with him and ensure that if it ever comes down to he said vs. you said, you have detailed notes to back you up.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Does your office have anything to prove time clocked in and out? Not expecting you to have punchcards but even security cam footage of in/out time can be useful.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The company is run by an Indian family, the CEO and his two nephews as software director and finance director. They are very aware of my colleagues timekeeping, I work from home but for a handful of days a month so it’s normally them telling me he’s not in or not online, not me letting them know. For clarity, the “very surprising” email he sent to the boss was yesterday (after his extra week of holiday), prior to him complaining about me this morning. Apparently the complaint doesn’t matter much and it’ll be resolved soon, so I’m pretty sure he’s asked for a payout and they’re considering it. I guess “and now Sanford is picking on me” was just something else to throw on the pile.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 8, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

They knew about it for this long and said nothing? That's pretty... interesting.

Hope it works out for you either way.

Unrelated: lmao https://twitter.com/pacarnahan/status/1744317977099374633

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

Magna Carta nonces immediately start voting Labour to return to Time Immemorial.

Sanford posted:

I guess “and now Sanford is picking on me” was just something else to throw on the pile.
It doesn't sound like there's anything you could have said really.

When I was signed off (for physical issues, although I do also have anxiety and depression problems) I spent the whole time worrying the rest of the team hated me for letting them down and leaving them a person short. When I finally went back in to sign some forms, I was an anxiety riddled mess and what in retrospect was a gentle jab from someone who'd been a good friend had me hosed up and terrified of going back for weeks.

E: I was signing the forms so I could go to university instead, but still. I had already decided I didn't want to go back and just being there had me at 8/10 on my panic scale.

Anxiety is brain wrongness, don't try and analyse it as if there's any reasonable mechanism or good outcome possible when it's in full swing.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 8, 2024

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

As somebody who suffers from extreme anxiety I have to say it's a bit disappointing that the thread seems to be going off on one about what an arsehole this guy is, based on not very much.

Obviously this is causing some hardship for Sanford and that's not good but I can certainly believe that if the shoe was on the other foot and somebody was in here saying they suffer from anxiety and have been having difficulty at work and they went in and some guy made a snarky comment and laughed at them* then the thread would be telling them they should report that person to the bosses and maybe try to find a way to leave the company and if possible get a nice little payout out of it.

*I'm not saying that Sanford did anything wrong here BUT as an anxiety sufferer, if he's having a bad day, it can be difficult to not take things like this personally even if Sanford didn't mean anything by it (which, to be very clear, I do believe).

Honestly it's all a bit close to Tory benefit/work assessment bullshit. Particularly like "What he's got anxiety that means he can't work, but he can go straight to the bosses and report this?!" or whatever. Probably just start at a default of believing that people who suffer from mental health problems aren't lying about it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It’s worth emphasising that Joey Barton isn’t just a bit of a oval office - he’s one of the worst people to be in the public eye maybe ever in terms of character and personality. He once ended a promising youth players career by stubbing a cigar out in his eye for a laugh.

That sucks too Sanford. I don’t have much advice beyond what’s already been said but good luck with it all, sounds like he’s dug his own grave at least.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Oh poo poo!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

if I had mental health difficulties to the point that I was spending two-thirds of a year off sick, I would quit my job and find something less stressful

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think generally if you have those sorts of difficulties it is actually being alive that is the difficult part.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Lt. Danger posted:

if I had mental health difficulties to the point that I was spending two-thirds of a year off sick, I would quit my job and find something less stressful

as someone who has been in that position i wish it were that easy when you also have bills to pay. considering trying to apply for jobs and wrestling with the DWP, while your confidence & functionality are in the shitter, makes staying in a lovely job seem like the least worse option

that said, i do have sympathy for Sanford, it's a lovely position to find oneself in, buti hope this other guy finds a better place to be also

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

WhatEvil posted:

the thread seems

I reckon you should quote individuals because this kind of bucketing is usually what causes the thread to do a wobbly

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

:yeshaha: :yeshaha: :yeshaha:

Today is suddenly a bit nicer.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Microplastics posted:

I reckon you should quote individuals because this kind of bucketing is usually what causes the thread to do a wobbly

Maybe the rest of you dickheads, but not me!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lt. Danger posted:

It would be lovely to live in a country where that was possible, yes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

sebzilla posted:

Maybe the rest of you dickheads, but not me!

Lol

But the thread does do a wobbly! Even if someone isn't participating!

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

:yeshaha: :yeshaha: :yeshaha:

Today is suddenly a bit nicer.

Turns out the person who said there were tapes later said she'd been making it up so the headline is kind of clickbaity.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’m the best behaved UKMT poster and anyone who disagrees is a loving oval office

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jakabite posted:

I’m the best behaved UKMT poster and anyone who disagrees is a loving oval office

Is that like being a Millwall supporter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I feel like ‘should the wrongly convicted have their convictions overturned’ should be the easiest question in the world to answer, especially for a ‘former human rights lawyer’ but maybe that’s why I’m not the leader of the Labour Party.

https://x.com/saulstaniforth/status/1744312307188891936?s=46&t=lz1DjwUk2vgFTdWPPaLwfA