Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

AnEdgelord posted:

Answer this for me

Have we ever, even once, seen anyone sit on the Golden Throne while it was in operation and not be in apocalyptic agony?

Have we seen anyone sit on it and use it prior to Magnuses gently caress up where everyone who is aware of how the throne works went "You absolutely and totally broke everything" and made it so that the throne operator is now unshielded and needs to mentally hold warp portals closed?

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

serious gaylord posted:

What do you reckon the odds are that the last line of TEATD3 are the same as the first line in Horus Rising?

I don't know about it being the last line but "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor" is guaranteed to show up.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

Answer this for me

Have we ever, even once, seen anyone sit on the Golden Throne while it was in operation and not be in apocalyptic agony?

Pretty sure emps is already on the throne when Magnus busts down the door and isn't in agony just directing the power into the human webway. It's only after that happens that it's painful is my understanding.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

Answer this for me

Wasn't it in operation but unoccupied for much of the Great Crusade?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Interview with Dan Abnett about concluding the Heresy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w395Z5Uk1f8

Says he's finished another 40k novel connected to an ongoing series here already so I wonder if we'll get more Abnett this year.

He also said it was a refreshing change of pace so I actually think it won't be the final Bequin book.

My wildcard prediction is he finally did his Double Eagle sequel he's been on about for 15 years, Interceptor City.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I would bet they had him do a Dawn of Fire book. They really want it to be a thing especially with HH ending. Which is fine the last one by Wraight was excellent, just a series that needed good authors.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

AnEdgelord posted:

Answer this for me

I'll check the text in Thousand Sons later but I'm almost certain the Emperor is relaxed, moisturized, unbothered on the Throne when Magnus does his thing.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

D-Pad posted:

I would bet they had him do a Dawn of Fire book. They really want it to be a thing especially with HH ending. Which is fine the last one by Wraight was excellent, just a series that needed good authors.

He said it was connected to one of his own ongoing series, so I'd say that rules out Dawn of Fire.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gaunt's Ghosts downtime novel, they're hanging out on Verghast recruiting some new troops and just vibing. Blood Pact but without the action.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
a moist throne

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

Gaunt's Ghosts downtime novel, they're hanging out on Verghast recruiting some new troops and just vibing. Blood Pact but without the action.

Hell yes

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I mean it could be ghost dossier 2

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm always down for more ghosts or anything sabbat related, but double triple eagle would also be a real treat- that one's a banger

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dog_Meat posted:

Dead Sun, Black Sky talk (from earlier)

I read this omnibus in order a lifetime ago, and I swear when I started this book I had no clue what the hell was going on.

My memory is not reliable, but all I remember from how the story goes is a chaos train (!) rolls into reality like the loving kool-aid man, says "get in, losers! It's chaosing time", Captain Genericus says "the codex does not support this but my duty is clear" and for some reason two Ultramarines go on a train ride to some kind of fever dream world. I had no idea WTF was going on

Then something about a bunch of reject, skinless space marines is a resistance, one of them is massive like a primarch and OH WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON WITH THOSE SPAWNING METHODS?!?!

It's a freaking acid trip lmao

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How come I can get the first Cain omnibus for $15 and then the second one is like $250? Is this some sort of drugs thing?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

More books in general should involve a hosed up chaos train just crashing into reality.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
If they don't end up suplexing the chaos train I must rate this book diabolus, and hereticus extremis.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It's been so long. Wasn't Typhus driving that train or something as well?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

no but the train turns into a daemon who then fights another daemon, and the second daemon kills the train daemon, and then McNeill’s self insert Honsou kicks the winning daemon and makes him go kill other iron warriors

the ultramarines books are so loving bad but that one is at least entertainingly insane, outside of the daemonculaba. even those are just McNeill’s take on axolotl tanks, since everything in 40K has a root in dune. they just don’t fit the setting here because dune is outrageously horny and 40K usually isn’t, or at least is only horny in a deeply sublimated way.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the next book in the ultramarines series after that is absolutely dreary, though, with nothing to recommend it. it also features the bizarre stylistic choice to name the main baddie after famous Massachusetts general Sylvanus Thayer, father of the army corps of engineers, for no discernible reason.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Engineers :argh:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

no but the train turns into a daemon who then fights another daemon, and the second daemon kills the train daemon, and then McNeill’s self insert Honsou kicks the winning daemon and makes him go kill other iron warriors

the ultramarines books are so loving bad but that one is at least entertainingly insane, outside of the daemonculaba. even those are just McNeill’s take on axolotl tanks, since everything in 40K has a root in dune. they just don’t fit the setting here because dune is outrageously horny and 40K usually isn’t, or at least is only horny in a deeply sublimated way.

i think what put me off warhammer books for so long was the first ones i tried were ultramrines books because i got into around when space marine came out.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

storm of iron was my first 40K book and it was good, and holds up, not because of the prose or the characterization but because it’s intensely atmospheric in the most 40K way possible: confusing, bombastic, contextless violence, starting without warning and ending without purpose.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

storm of iron was my first 40K book and it was good, and holds up, not because of the prose or the characterization but because it’s intensely atmospheric in the most 40K way possible: confusing, bombastic, contextless violence, starting without warning and ending without purpose.

My first one, too. It really grabbed me when I read it. I had been reading Forgotten Reams stuff, but was getting really annoyed at all the endless whining, monologuing, and navel-gazing everytime a hero was less than perfect, and how the good guys always won.

The grimdarkness and everyone being various shades of terrible was (and still is) a breath of fresh air.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SPACE MARINE was my first Warhammer book, and I can't think of a better introduction.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I was working in Workshop when BL started, and I *think* my first book was First and Only. I remember not thinking much of the William King Space Wolf books at the time.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the next book in the ultramarines series after that is absolutely dreary, though, with nothing to recommend it. it also features the bizarre stylistic choice to name the main baddie after famous Massachusetts general Sylvanus Thayer, father of the army corps of engineers, for no discernible reason.

What, really? Like just Silvanus (which is a historical Latin forename) or just Thayer? Either of those would be fine. If it's both together that's weird as hell.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Genghis Cohen posted:

What, really? Like just Silvanus (which is a historical Latin forename) or just Thayer? Either of those would be fine. If it's both together that's weird as hell.

Would be a cool name for an Iron Warrior or maybe an Imperial Fist.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

a lovely king posted:

He said it was connected to one of his own ongoing series, so I'd say that rules out Dawn of Fire.

Titanicus sequel?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Titanicus sequel?

The continued adventures of that :frogbon: skitarii and his automatic grenade launcher.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

a whole book about that weird s&m polycule in Malleus

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Brothers of the snake 2: snakes on a chaos train

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm like 2/3rds through the Fall of Cadia and there's something I don't get about the broader course of events.

At the very beginning of the book, the Imperium has just repelled Abaddon's attack and the Cadians are partying and celebrating, thinking the war is won. So presumably, the planet was either fully or almost fully controlled by Imperial forces, with at most some mopping up to do.

Spoiler alert, that wasn´t the case, and Abaddon comes knocking again with a new fleet out of the Eye. From that point onwards, most of the book features Abaddon's attack concentrating towards Kasr Kraf, which makes perfect sense as it's both the command center and the location of certain plot devices.

The thing is - what is happening across the rest of the planet? At first I thought that Abaddon was just beelining for the prize and ignoring the rest of Cadia, but that made it weird how Creed was perennially starved for troops, if he had all the planet to draw upon (the book spans days if not weeks, so there was plenty of time for reinforcements to come).

But then, at one point, Creed spurs his soldiers with "You are defending the last free city on Cadia!" - was the rest of the planet conquered off-screen between chapters, with nary a mention? If Abaddon has already taken almost all of the planet, why was Creed planning a defense in depth rather than a suicidal last stand / attack?

I know warhams book shouldn´t be taken too seriously, but this is just a basic part of the scenario that left me thoroughly confused. Rath is a good author so I wouldn't expect him to just brazenly ignore the little detail that Cadia is a whole planet and not a single city. Perhaps this is detailed in the old Gathering Storm sourcebooks, but reading just the novel it sticks out.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Cadia stands has little propaganda snippets/reports about it, kinda.

Creeeeeeeeeeeeed posted:

We have smashed an armoured column at Kasr Relon. The enemy has landed on Cadian soil in great force. We are the generation upon whose shoulders lies the heavy duty of sending them all to their deaths.’

‘People of Cadia. The walls of Kasr Batrok have been breached, but I am assured that the men there are fighting with grit and resolve...'

Also its entierly possible that he was saying that as a force motivator.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 9, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Simple answer is that the Fall of Cadia treats everything more like the battle for a big city rather than an entire planet, so once the action focuses in on the final location you just assume the rest of the planet died off-page. It was like that back during Gathering Storm, too.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Oh Magnus you loving idiot, I forgot about this particular scene.

A Thousand Sons posted:

Magnus sensed one of their hidden pathways nearby and opened his inner eye, seeing the glittering fabric of the Great Ocean in all its revealed glory. The hidden capillaries of the alien network were visible as radiant lines of molten gold, and Magnus angled his course towards the nearest.

Distance was a similarly meaningless concept here, and with a thought he spiralled around the golden passageway. He focussed his energy and unleashed it at the lattice in a blaze of silver lightning. Scores of his Thralls died in an instant, but the shimmer-sheen of the golden passage remained unbroken. Magnus hurled his fists against the impervious walls, snuffing out his Thralls by the dozen with every blow, but it was useless.

It had all been for nothing. He couldn’t get in.

Magnus felt his glorious ascent slowing, and howled his frustration to the furthest corners of the Great Ocean.

Then he felt it, the familiar sense of something titanic moving in the swells around him, a continent adrift in the ocean with ancient sentience buried in its aetheric heart. Infinite spectra of light danced before him, more magnificent than the most radiant Mechanicum Borealis. Even to one as mighty as Magnus, the flaring eruption of light and power was incredible.

Its communication was sibilant, like sand pouring through the neck of an hourglass. It had breadth and depth, yet no beginning and no end, as though it had always existed around him and always would.

It spoke, not with words, but with power. It surrounded him, offering itself freely and without ulterior motive. The Great Ocean was truly a place of contradictions, its roiling, infinite nature allowing for the presence of all things, good and bad. Just as some entities within its depths were malicious and predatory, others were benevolent and altruistic.

Contrary to what most people believed, there was uncorrupted power here that could be wielded by those with the knowledge and skill to do so. Such gifted individuals were few and far between, but through the work of adepts like Magnus, it might yet be possible to lift humanity to a golden age of exploration and the acquisition of knowledge.

Magnus drank deep of the offered power and tore his way into the golden lattice. He felt its shrieking wail of unmaking as a scream of pain. Without a second thought, he flew into the shimmering passageway, following a route he knew would lead to Terra.

:rolleye: Hello Tzeench, so kind of you to selflessly lend me your power.

AnEdgelord posted:

Answer this for me

A Thousand Sons posted:

Far beneath the birthrock of the race that currently bestrode the galaxy as its would-be masters, a pulsing chamber throbbed with activity. Hundreds of metres high and many hundreds more wide, it hummed with machinery and reeked of blistering ozone. Once it had served as the Imperial Dungeon, but that purpose had long been subverted to another.

Great machines of incredible potency and complexity were spread throughout the chamber, vast stockpiles and uniquely fabricated items that would defy the understanding of even the most gifted adept of the Mechanicum.

It had the feel of a laboratory belonging to the most brilliant scientist the world had ever seen. It had the look of great things, of potential yet untapped, and of dreams on the verge of being dragged into reality. Mighty golden doors, like the entrance to the most magnificent fortress, filled one end of the chamber. Great carvings were worked into the mechanised doors: entwined siblings, dreadful sagittary, a rearing lion, the scales of justice and many more.

Thousands of tech-adepts, servitors and logi moved through the chamber’s myriad passageways, like blood cells through a living organism in service to its heart, where a great golden throne reared ten metres above the floor. Bulky and machine-like, a forest of snaking cables bound it to the vast portal sealed shut at the opposite end of the chamber.

Only one being knew what lay beyond those doors, a being of towering intellect whose powers of imagination and invention were second to none. He sat upon the mighty throne, encased in golden armour, bringing all his intellect to bear in overseeing the next stage of his wondrous creation.

He was the Emperor, and though many in this chamber had known him for the spans of many lives, none knew him as anything else. No other title, no possible name, could ever do justice to such a luminous individual. Surrounded by his most senior praetorians and attended by his most trusted cabal, the Emperor sat and waited.

When the trouble began, it began swiftly.

While it is not explicitly stated that the Emperor isn't suffering horribly in this scene, there's nothing to indicate that he is suffering in any way. There is nothing like the descriptions in the later books that make it very clear that he is suffering.

A Thousand Sons posted:

The golden portal shone with its own inner light, as though some incredible heat from the other side was burning through the metal. Vast gunboxes fixed around the perimeter of the cave swung up, their barrels spooling up to fire. Lightning flashed from machine to machine as delicate, irreplaceable circuits overloaded and exploded. Adepts ran from the site of the breach, knowing little of what lay beyond, yet knowing enough to flee.

Crackling bolts of energy poured from the molten gates, flensing those too close to the marrow. Intricate symbols carved into the rock of the cavern exploded with shrieking detonations. Every source of illumination in the chamber blew out in a shower of sparks, and centuries of the most incredible work imaginable was undone in an instant.

No sooner had the first alarm sounded than the Emperor’s Custodes were at arms, but nothing in their training could have prepared them for what came next.

A form pressed its way through the portal: massive, red and aflame with the burning force of its journey. It emerged into the chamber, wreathed in eldritch fire that bled away to reveal a robed being composed of many-angled light and the substance of stars. Its radiance was blinding and none could look upon its many eyes without feeling the insignificance of their own mortality.

None had ever seen such a dreadful apparition, the true heart of a being so mighty that it could only beat while encased in super-engineered flesh.

The Emperor alone recognised this rapturous angel, and his heart broke to see it.

‘Magnus,’ he said.

‘Father,’ replied Magnus.

Their minds met, and in that moment of frozen connection the galaxy changed forever.

I will say this is a phenomenal way to describe Magnus' psychic form.

A few pages later, the aftermath of the meeting:

A Thousand Sons posted:

It had all been for nothing. Everything was unravelling around him faster than he could weave it back together.

Magnus rose to his full height, his body diminished from its former glory, as though a fundamental part of him had been left on Terra after his confrontation with his father. The moment of connection they had shared had been sublime and horrendous. He had seen himself as others saw him, a monstrous, fiery angel of blood bringing doom down upon those mortals unlucky enough to fall beneath his gaze.

Only his father had recognised him, for he had wrought the life into him and knew his own handiwork. Magnus had experienced that awful self-knowledge in an instant, feeling it sear his heart and crush his soul in one dreadful moment of union.

He had tried to deliver his warning, showing his father what he had seen and what he knew. It hadn’t mattered. Nothing he could have said would have outweighed or undone the colossal mistake he had made in coming to Terra. The treachery of Horus was swept away, an afterthought in the wake of the destruction Magnus had unwittingly unleashed. Wards that had kept the palace safe for a hundred years were obliterated in an instant, and the psychic shock-wave killed thousands and drove hundreds more to madness and suicide.

But that wasn’t the worst of it, not by a long way.

It was the knowledge that he had been wrong.

Everything he had been so sure of knowing better than anyone else was a lie.

He thought he had known better than his father how to wield the power of the Great Ocean. He believed he was its master, but in the ruins of his father’s great work, he had seen the truth. The Golden Throne was the key. Unearthed from forgotten ruins sunken deep beneath the driest desert, it was the lodestone that would have unlocked the secrets of the alien lattice. Now it was in ruins, its impossibly complex dimensional inhibitors and warp buffers fused beyond salvage.

The control it maintained on the shimmering gateway at his back was ended, and the artfully designed mechanism keeping the two worlds apart was fatally fractured. In the instant of connection, Magnus saw the folly of his actions and wept to see so perfect a concept undone.

Unspoken understanding flowed between Magnus and the Emperor. Everything Magnus had done was laid bare, and everything the Emperor planned flowed into him. He saw himself atop the Golden Throne, using his fearsome powers to guide humanity to its destiny as rulers of the galaxy. He was to be his father’s chosen instrument of ultimate victory. It broke him to know that his unthinking hubris had shattered that dream.

Without will, the spell that had sent him to Terra was nothing, and Magnus had felt the pull of flesh dragging his spirit back through the gateway. He did not fight it, but let his essence fly through the golden lattice to the tear he had so carelessly torn in its fabric. Vast shoals of void predators were already massing, swirling armies of formless monsters, fanged beasts and awesomely powerful entities that lived only for destruction.

Would the Emperor be able to hold them back?

Magnus didn’t know, and the thought of so much blood on his hands shamed him.

So the Emperor did not promise Magnus ahead of time that he'd get to chill on the Throne and it'd be awesome; he only showed him that after it was already too late, when the irreparable damage had been done. I would say Graham McNeil is about as much of a fan of using subtlety as Guy Haley is, which is to say not at all, so taking these passages and drawing the conclusion from them that the Emperor's goal was always for Magnus to be an eternal tormented sacrifice on the Throne is not supported by the text as written.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Shockeh posted:

I remember not thinking much of the William King Space Wolf books at the time.

I'm re-reading the omnibus I have of it, first book is pretty good so far. It's the only book I've seen that really goes in depth about being an aspirant, and the only book I've found that REALLY plays with the idea of different tech levels on different planets (with Feneris' non-transhuman population being vikings in the Iron age compared to the Fang being all technology).

But it also feels off from more modern 40k. Partly from the fact that the marines aren't just grim assholes who have no sense of what's important, but also BECAUSE Ragnar actually has to deal with poo poo left over from his previous life.

I think some of my compalints about "Standard Space Marine" personalities are being fixed. Particularly in relation to the Wolves and the Scars and their successors, because them being "Vikings" and "Mongols" respectively means they have fun in fights.

Calax fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 9, 2024

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Genghis Cohen posted:

you know in your heart that it's both of them together

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Titanicus sequel?

Preferably with less chaff this time around then. Even if Abnett has confirmed he is/was working on the Double Eagle sequel a year ago or something.

Shockeh posted:

I was working in Workshop when BL started, and I *think* my first book was First and Only. I remember not thinking much of the William King Space Wolf books at the time.

Mine was definitely the first paperback version of First & Only that I picked up on a whim in a nerd store years ago. After that I was doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
My first 40k books were the Last Chancers. I was not hooked. Took years to try again, and then I picked up the ultramarines omnibus.