Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

And then quickly dropping it when he reads her face and realizes yeah, maybe not.

Having this high level of emotional intelligence will get him far, no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

New OP kind sucks IMO. Its wayy too much generic anime. YOASOBI's style feels unique and special (even as she is becoming a popular voice of anime openings) and I love the choir part where the only words I can make out is History and Forever (and the way they sing it sounds like they echo ever-ever even though theyre not) at the spot where frieren gets the split screen between the past and present parties which was also artistically a very great shot. The opening bit with the digitized sounding small voice is also very fitting for the series and to me has become a part of getting excited to watch the show.

The animation on the new OP is of course lit, but I really appreciated the interesting contrast the original OP had with the type of show Frieren is. The new OP I don't think really matches the tone of the show anymore than Yuusha did. They should have gone full acoustic if they were gonna change it :colbert:

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 8, 2024

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i am extremely done with yoasobi at this point because they all sound the same, so i inherently like the new op more

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yoasobi very much does "anime anthem" style songs, which can work depending on the show, but the songs can bleed into each other and fall into the same rhythmic patterns and structures you typically think of when you imagine anime OP music writ large.

The new OP for Frieren is fine but I still don't exactly feel it matches the show's vibe. I'm not sure what would match the vibe until I'd hear it and it clicks for me, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/koumorinahi/status/1744403596480037197?t=c8xkzyh1K5s50H0bsKNxug&s=19

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Tabletops posted:

i am extremely done with yoasobi at this point because they all sound the same, so i inherently like the new op more

I don't think Yuusha and Idol sound very similar beyond having the same main singer, but I guess the one Beastars and Gundam OP might sound similar-ish. She does use a lot of like stinging high piano I guess.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I get it now.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Is that an AI dubbing voice

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GateOfD posted:

Is that an AI dubbing voice

No, the mic quality is too crusty. There's a difference between a robot trying to sound like a human and a human trying to sound like a human but sounding like a robot.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 9, 2024

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Costco hot dog buns have sesame seeds :cmon:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Arc Hammer posted:

Yoasobi very much does "anime anthem" style songs, which can work depending on the show, but the songs can bleed into each other and fall into the same rhythmic patterns and structures you typically think of when you imagine anime OP music writ large.

The new OP for Frieren is fine but I still don't exactly feel it matches the show's vibe. I'm not sure what would match the vibe until I'd hear it and it clicks for me, though.

reserving judgement till i see the translated lyrics

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yoasobi rules and every anisong they make is a banger. Don't at me.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The opening is bad enough I skip it. And I was the one who used to watch all the anime openings back in the day when it was considered common habit to fast forward every opening. The yaosobi OP is so forgettable I get annoyed trying to click the skip button bc I can't do it quickly enough.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I grew up in the era of Maaya Sakamoto singing Yoko Kanno songs as openings, it takes a lot to impress me.

Anyway, talking plot, I don't really understand what Sein was doing in the story except as someone for Freiren to 'do what Himmel would have done' and encourage him to travel, which makes him feel like less of a character and more like a story tool, someone who exists to push Freiren's character development further. He felt redundant - a redux of Heiter but plused up. Gorilla and Sein's story is pretty much exactly the same as Himmel and Heiter, growing up together around the orphanage and then setting out on an adventure together, just with the change of 'what if Heiter hadn't followed him'.

And for some reason, everyone calling this one guy Gorilla in a fantasy world is really weird to me and I'm glad to get beyond this portion of the story bc it keeps pulling me out. Where uh..where do you have gorillas? How come everyone knows what a gorilla, which presumably doesn't live anywhere near these small town folks, is???

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 9, 2024

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I grew up in the era of Maaya Sakamoto singing Yoko Kanno songs as openings, it takes a lot to impress me
:same:

I'm not a fan of either OP. Maybe next season will have an OP inspired by the series' soundtrack.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Anyway, talking plot, I don't really understand what Sein was doing in the story except as someone for Freiren to 'do what Himmel would have done' and encourage him to travel, which makes him feel like less of a character and more like a story tool, someone who exists to push Freiren's character development further. He felt redundant - a redux of Heiter but plused up. Gorilla and Sein's story is pretty much exactly the same as Himmel and Heiter, growing up together around the orphanage and then setting out on an adventure together, just with the change of 'what if Heiter hadn't followed him'.

I'd say that sein fills the role of being someone frieren can talk to on a more even footing. Frieren is basically fern's parental figure slash mentor, so although they have a good relationship they don't interact in that way, precisely. She's not as close to stark but she's definitely taken up his mentoring from eisen in a similar way. With sein its not so familial and is just a regular friendship. Frieren's conversations with him are more banter-y.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, while he's of course not nearly as old as Frieren, he's another adult, which is good.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

And for some reason, everyone calling this one guy Gorilla in a fantasy world is really weird to me and I'm glad to get beyond this portion of the story bc it keeps pulling me out. Where uh..where do you have gorillas? How come everyone knows what a gorilla, which presumably doesn't live anywhere near these small town folks, is???

I think that gorillas just take up a bigger part of the Japanese zeitgeist than they do in the West. If you want a point of comparison, consider how widespread lions are in Eurasian culture, despite the fact that they've been extinct outside of Africa for ~2000 years.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, while he's of course not nearly as old as Frieren, he's another adult, which is good.

In fact, he's more of an adult than Frieren is, being actually socially well-adjusted.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm also vaguely reminded of the two teens in Kaguya-sama who are constantly having sex with each other, who aren't actually that important to the plot but do serve the purpose of making it clear that the two main leads, with their incremental progress and mind-games, are not actually the only approach to sexuality in that universe.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah, having him to mediate is really the best part bc lol Freiren isn't going to.

I watched all of Natsume's Book of Friends this year - really took my time with it and space it out - and Freiren gives me similar vibes. Specifically in suggesting that long-lived creatures would remember singular chance meetings, precisely because their lives are so long, and full of so much waiting, that the times where something different happens stick in the memory like wayposts, guiding their actions in the future (or the present, depending on how you're viewing it).

Freiren continues this theme in that Freiren's long life is largely full of nothing, even by her own reckoning. The 10 year journey was a pittance in comparison to that, but also everything in comparison to that - she has more memories in those 10 years than the previous 500.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Natsume’s Book of Friends montage with the music is great

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dunno if this is a reach or if I'm picking up on potential manga spoilers. It seems to me that, despite Himmel and crew defeating the Demon King and ushering in an Age of Peace, they might not have done that thorough of a job?

They couldn't defeat Qual when they first set out, settling instead for sealing him away. Aura was able to assemble a formidable warband of enchanted armours and would have overrun towns if Frieren hadn't appeared. The sword Himmel wielded was a replica and he'd actually failed to pull the true Hero's Sword from the stone, thus leaving that prophecy unfulfilled. The Northern Lands are still infested with monsters bound to the material plane by mana which is coming from somewhere.

Then there's also the tale of Kraft and his traveling companion who set out for adventures centuries earlier. Sein sees a parallel between himself and Gorilla and the statue. And Frieren seeing parallels with her previous 10 year adventure and the present. They might be undergoing cycles of remembering and forgetting and the only ones who exist long enough to recognize the patterns are the Elves. Elven perception of time is so different from humans that I'm starting to wonder if the decades the characters are currently living through isn't actually the foretold "Age of Peace" but just a lull. Elves being so long-lived maybe the Demon King ordered their extermination for reasons yet to be told that has to do with the prophecies. Elves might be the ones meant to inherit the endless days of peace compared to the relative flash in the pan of human existence.

It could be a human Age of Peace but not one for the total history of the world that the prophecy foretells.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Humanity was able to dissect, assimilate, and ultimately trivialize Qual's magic during the "few" decades he was sealed away. At the very least the defeat of the Demon King bought humanity some breathing room, and has been able to advance in ways that demons couldn't/can't.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think this is an anime about how history is moving towards a state where all problems are solved forever.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I figured Himmel Heroman "failing the prophesy" was more to show that prophesies are bunk and you don't have to be some perfect soul to make positive changes in the world. Or the intended true test of the Hero was them continuing on anyway despite "failing" the test.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah the whole point of the sword was about how the reality of who Himmel was and the story of The Hero Himmel are not the same, and how facts get changed or embellished to better fit a legend.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Himmel was all about being the self made man. The king didn't believe in him, the people didn't believe in him, the sword didn't believe in him, but he did it anyway, he became the legendary hero who threw down the demon lord and brought peace to the land.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
True enough and like I said I am mostly piecing things together through observation rather than saying that him not pulling the sword is definitive proof of anything. I haven't read into the manga so this is really just speculation.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Closest he got to get anything truly special was having Frieren in his party and that was because he was a good dude who was able to get her out of her funk.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

This show is 100% about personal relationships between the characters, with the demon lord stuff being a prop to put the characters together.

You could replace the demons with aliens, or a human kingdom, or a tribe of sentient gorillas and the themes wouldn't change at all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A tribe of sentient gorillas would explain where Gorilla Warrior has probably ended up.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I actually just rewatched the Hero's Sword episode and the prophecy in question was that "The sword can only be pulled from the stone by the hero who will drive off a great calamity bent on destroying the world". Now, the demons may be bad when it comes to other sapient species but they aren't "blow up the planet" evil unless theres a future reveal incoming. So it doesn't surprise me that the Demon King isn't actually the great calamity it's referring to.

It makes me think of Kraft's blase reaction to Frieren killing the Demon King, that the demons are a problem right now but not really the greatest problem in history and nothing will ever be worse. Just the current concern.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think this is an anime about how history is moving towards a state where all problems are solved forever.

i choose to believe that the defeat of the demon king is an allegory for the end of the cold war, and the anime's thesis is a rejection of Fukuyama

on the other hand, sir, this is a Wendy'sshounen anime.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nephthys posted:

I actually just rewatched the Hero's Sword episode and the prophecy in question was that "The sword can only be pulled from the stone by the hero who will drive off a great calamity bent on destroying the world". Now, the demons may be bad when it comes to other sapient species but they aren't "blow up the planet" evil unless theres a future reveal incoming. So it doesn't surprise me that the Demon King isn't actually the great calamity it's referring to.

It makes me think of Kraft's blase reaction to Frieren killing the Demon King, that the demons are a problem right now but not really the greatest problem in history and nothing will ever be worse. Just the current concern.

This was my take as well. The thing about the show that I keep banging on about is its ability to make long periods of time feel as long as they are. Frieren has lived for an incredibly long period of time and you get a real sense of what that means and her personal perspective and insight into the creation and therefore the demystification of "history", but then the show turns around and juxtaposes that with the existence of even older characters and even grander views of history that dwarf even her. The sword apparently being prophesized for a completely different person we've never heard of and will probably never meet for threat that will probably never appear in the series proper is, I think, the first time we see that even Frieren, the person who's been alive for millennia and seems to know everything, is still someone approaching history from a limited perspective.

Time is big and there's a lot of it y'all.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i choose to believe that the defeat of the demon king is an allegory for the end of the cold war, and the anime's thesis is a rejection of Fukuyama

on the other hand, sir, this is a Wendy'sshounen anime.

If you wanted to make a real world comparison, I think Israel/Gaza would be the more current conversational molotov.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
In this episode, Frieren meets an ongoing yuri anime

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

LostRook posted:

If you wanted to make a real world comparison, I think Israel/Gaza would be the more current conversational molotov.

but who then is fukuyama?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Ha, you won't get spoilers from me!