Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Any recommendations for a game like Battletech where the progression is a bit faster? Or maybe a mod? The amount of hours required for a campaign to move forward is.. The exact reason I don't play XCOM, sadly.

I like the big, stompy, shooty bots, and I like scraping by by the skin of my teeth. I dislike not being allowed to lose a mech/pilot because it would be a multiple hour setback. My fear is if I dial up the loot and dial down the salvage needed to make a new frame, then things will be too much of a cakewalk, and I won't even end up losing anything in the first place.

I guess my question is, how do I get the drat difficulty right so things are exciting rather than a chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Seems to me if you dialed up the salvage and kept the difficulty high, you'd get higher turnover rate right? Picking up new mechs as fast as you lose them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Could break out mekhq and do the against the bot campaign. I enjoy it more than the hbs game these days

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I remember enjoying MissionForce: Cyberstorm as a kid. Just installed it off of GOG, we'll see how it holds up.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Organ Fiend posted:

So for those of you playing BEX, I've figured out how to remove the horrible turrets without editing each and every turret definition file.

There are two things you need to do.

First, in the mod.json file in the BT_Extended directory, you delete three lines that contain instructions that add the turrets and turret related files to the database. I forgot to save a version of the file, so I don't have a "before" picture, but this is what it looks like afterward:

code:
{
    "Name": "BT_Extended",
    "Enabled": true,

"Version": "1.9.1.2",

"Description": "The base BT Extended mod, required for Extended CE.",
    "Author": "Haree78 and Justin Kase",
    "Website": "https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/387",
    "Contact": "https://discord.gg/KSmamMz",

"DependsOn": [ "CAB-Clan Mech", "CAB-IS Mech", "CAB-Misc", "CAB-Tanks", "FullXotlTables", "cFixes" ],
	"OptionallyDependsOn": [ "BT_Extended_3025_Plus" ],

"DLL": "Components.dll",

"Manifest": [

{ "Type": "AmmunitionBoxDef", "Path": "ammunitionBox", "AddToDB": true },
		{ "Type": "ChassisDef", "Path": "chassis", "AddToDB": true },
		{ "Path": "contracts", "Type": "AdvancedJSONMerge" },
        { "Type": "ContractOverride", "Path": "contracts_new", "AddToDB": true },
        { "Type": "HardpointDataDef", "Path": "hardpoints" },
		{ "Type": "HeatSinkDef", "Path": "heatsinks", "AddToDB": true },
		{ "Type": "ItemCollectionDef", "Path": "itemCollections", "AddToDB": false },
		{ "Type": "ItemCollectionDef", "Path": "itemCollectionsE3025", "AddToDB": true },
        { "Type": "LanceDef", "Path": "lance", "ShouldMergeJSON": true, "AddToDB": false },
        { "Type": "LanceDef", "Path": "lance_new", "AddToDB": true },
		{ "Type": "MechDef", "Path": "mech", "AddToDB": true },
		{ "Type": "ChassisDef", "Path": "meleeFixes-chassisMerge", "ShouldMergeJSON": true, "AddToDB": false },
		{ "Type": "MechDef", "Path": "meleeFixes-mechMerge", "ShouldMergeJSON": true, "AddToDB": false },
		{ "Type": "MovementCapabilitiesDef", "Path": "movement", "AddToDB": true },
        { "Type": "PathingCapabilitiesDef", "Path": "pathing" },
        { "Type": "Sprite", "Path": "portraits" },
		{ "Type": "UpgradeDef", "Path": "upgrades", "AddToDB": true },
		{ "Type": "VehicleDef", "Path": "vehicle", "AddToDB": true },
		{ "Type": "VehicleChassisDef", "Path": "vehicleChassis", "AddToDB": true },
        { "Type": "VehicleDef", "Path": "vehicle_rarity", "ShouldMergeJSON": true, "AddToDB": false },
        { "Type": "VehicleDef", "Path": "vehicle_appearancedates", "ShouldMergeJSON": true, "AddToDB": false },
		{ "Type": "WeaponDef", "Path": "weapon", "AddToDB": true }
    ]
}
Second, you need to delete the .modtek folder in your Mods directory. This looks like where Modtek caches database information. When you start Battletech again, modtek will rebuild this folder, this time without the turrets.

Just want to remind ya'll that this still works for BEX.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Just want to remind ya'll that this still works for BEX.

wanted to say thanks for the extra effort posts. I'll always love this thread. always so chill and helpful

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Finally, we can all stop talking about battletech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh67POoE5fw

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I regret to inform you that Custom Mech Wars is bad.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

I see the Borderlands joke writers have convinced someone else to hire them

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012
What is the current state of mods for this game? Specifically asking for the grand campaign type of stuff. I did Roguetech I think a year or two ago and I remember it being both brutally difficult and brutal on my computer.

I’m looking for a full inner sphere experience spanning many years.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Artadius posted:

What is the current state of mods for this game? Specifically asking for the grand campaign type of stuff. I did Roguetech I think a year or two ago and I remember it being both brutally difficult and brutal on my computer.

I’m looking for a full inner sphere experience spanning many years.

Bex/bta/roguetech are the big three in the order of the most to least canonical

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Captain Foo posted:

Bex/bta/roguetech are the big three in the order of the most to least canonical

Counterpoint: BTA has the whole sanctuary world thing, whereas RogueTech has both lore-accurate maps and factions (granted it also has some fan components and mech variants).

That said RogueTech also has the map devolve into total war, whereas BTA keeps the general faction alliances and such.

e: I prefer RT but YMMV. Just set the difficulty settings as low as possible and use planet difficulty, that way it's not too bad (the fights will still be as difficult as usual though).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 5, 2024

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
None of them is even remotely close to canonical, just play the one that you find most fun.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Azhais posted:

Could break out mekhq and do the against the bot campaign. I enjoy it more than the hbs game these days

After a long, long time of messing around with different game versions, different java versions, and different OSs, I finally got it to run! Off to play the game like I never have before.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Griddle of Love posted:

After a long, long time of messing around with different game versions, different java versions, and different OSs, I finally got it to run! Off to play the game like I never have before.

Be sure to up the Java memory in the configs of you didn't. Mekhq needs more than the default in my experience

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

I've started work on private submod for RogueTech - basically just tweaking mod settings so that the mod is a bit closer to BTA, mainly reducing grind, allowing multiple faction alliances, improving shops, allowing more strategic operations.

I'll post it here once I'm done, though obviously there's no support for it whatsoever (and in fact requires disabling the launch safety in the RT launcher on every launch). It will also break when RT updates, but I'll probably do it as a git fork which should solve both the safety/updates issues. Still zero support, in fact probably any mention of it will get an instant ban on the RT discord.

fe: Also will not work with the online map of course.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I recommend enabling custom drop locations in BTA.

It gets old when you are constantly dropped with your back to a star of Clan heavies.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had no idea that was a thing, enabled that now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

PhotoKirk posted:

It gets old when you are constantly dropped with your back to a star of Clan heavies.

:stare: sounds like this should be a default option

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Awful lot of honor in dropping with your back to your enemies though. They were probably impressed

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My company insignia is a full moon.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
So I've been really enjoying MW5 with mods, and I'm starting to appreciate the lore and world. I'm feeling like I'd be interested in something that could offer more of a roleplay/simulation experience with a closer adherence to the lore. Do the isometric games improve on that aspect over MW5, and which are the best mods for enhancing that?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Corsec posted:

So I've been really enjoying MW5 with mods, and I'm starting to appreciate the lore and world. I'm feeling like I'd be interested in something that could offer more of a roleplay/simulation experience with a closer adherence to the lore. Do the isometric games improve on that aspect over MW5, and which are the best mods for enhancing that?

If you haven’t played HBS’s Battletech, it’s really worth a play though vanilla, plus alll the DLC. Then mod the poo poo out of it, and play one of the compendium packs. The story and flashpoints are completely independent to greater inner sphere things.

Funny enough, the lore is almost entirely forgettable, once you’re stomping and shootin’. You only really notice major map changes (compendium specific) that represent shifts in power, or new mechs coming out based on things like the Helm Core. I guess there’s a few mods that emphasize lore specific battles (Tukkayid, clan invasion, formation of Rasselhague, the Jihad), but at the end of the day it’s still playing mech-Pokémon.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

PhotoKirk posted:

Okay, I'm looking all over the settings and can't find this. Do I need to set this out of game?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

SirPhoebos posted:

Okay, I'm looking all over the settings and can't find this. Do I need to set this out of game?

Look for CustomUnits in the mods folder. The readme.txt explains it. I'm at school so I don't have my fun computer with me.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

This image has got the instructions (from the BTA discord) on how to do it. That file should also have entries for weather and minimap in the mission description in the Command Center. Also a minimap for in mission.

Edit: Manual drops are most useful for convoys and is more or less required on urban maps with larger companies (BTA allows up to 2x 6 mech lances and a 4 BA 3rd lance) where you can either telefrag or suicide into buildings with auto-deploy.

CoffeeQaddaffi fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 9, 2024

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

None of that actually comes from BTA, it's just a third-party mod that's included which they've never bothered to make configurable, either because it doesn't fit their vision or they don't care enough to do it. Same thing with the multiple lances, most custom flashpoints, weather, conquerable map, airstrikes, etc.

The only things actually custom in BTA (or roguetech or other mod packs for that matter) are the equipment definitions, enemy lance definitions, mech variants, mechlab coding and item tables for shops and loot.

There's quite a few other features you can enable or configure to your liking if you go through the json files.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 9, 2024

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012

Private Speech posted:

None of that actually comes from BTA, it's just a third-party mod that's included which they've never bothered to make configurable, either because it doesn't fit their vision or they don't care enough to do it. Same thing with the multiple lances, most custom flashpoints, weather, conquerable map, airstrikes, etc.

The only things actually custom in BTA (or roguetech or other mod packs for that matter) are the equipment definitions, enemy lance definitions, mech variants, mechlab coding and item tables for shops and loot.

There's quite a few other features you can enable or configure to your liking if you go through the json files.

Re: This mod... is it possible to add it mid campaign of a BEX playthrough? I've had some missions where you have to destroy the convoy that has put me in places that are especially annoying / impossible to get out of (in mountain valleys, in a maze of skyscrapers) before the convoy is pretty much gone.

I'm running very light on mechs with jump capability and its biting me in the butt when the idiot Leopard pilot decides to drop me down at the bottom of a figurative well.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I'm not sure if you can add it mid-run, but turning it on mid-run does nothing other than adding a manual button and manual deployment, so its probably safe to introduce into your modtek list.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Can anyone recommend a good music replacer mod that works ok with BEX? The YT algo just reminded how good MW2/ Mercs tracks were.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
As someone who just installed BTX as their first mod. How do you get started in this? Turrets just annihilate me in all the half skull or skull missions and I can't get any better mechs

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Isn't there a mod that makes the turrets less stupidly OP?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Jarvisi posted:

As someone who just installed BTX as their first mod. How do you get started in this? Turrets just annihilate me in all the half skull or skull missions and I can't get any better mechs

Quoting this so I can search my posts ....

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Here it is. The turrets BEX adds are dumb. This is how to remove them

Organ Fiend posted:

So for those of you playing BEX, I've figured out how to remove the horrible turrets without editing each and every turret definition file.

There are two things you need to do.

First, in the mod.json file in the BT_Extended directory, you delete three lines that contain instructions that add the turrets and turret related files to the database. I forgot to save a version of the file, so I don't have a "before" picture, but this is what it looks like afterward:

code:
{
    "Name": "BT_Extended",
    "Enabled": true,

"Version": "1.9.1.2",

"Description": "The base BT Extended mod, required for Extended CE.",
    "Author": "Haree78 and Justin Kase",
    "Website": "https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/387",
    "Contact": "https://discord.gg/KSmamMz",

"DependsOn": [ "CAB-Clan Mech", "CAB-IS Mech", "CAB-Misc", "CAB-Tanks", "FullXotlTables", "cFixes" ],
	"OptionallyDependsOn": [ "BT_Extended_3025_Plus" ],

"DLL": "Components.dll",

"Manifest": [

{ "Type": "AmmunitionBoxDef", "Path": "ammunitionBox", "AddToDB": true },
		{ "Type": "ChassisDef", "Path": "chassis", "AddToDB": true },
		{ "Path": "contracts", "Type": "AdvancedJSONMerge" },
        { "Type": "ContractOverride", "Path": "contracts_new", "AddToDB": true },
        { "Type": "HardpointDataDef", "Path": "hardpoints" },
		{ "Type": "HeatSinkDef", "Path": "heatsinks", "AddToDB": true },
		{ "Type": "ItemCollectionDef", "Path": "itemCollections", "AddToDB": false },
		{ "Type": "ItemCollectionDef", "Path": "itemCollectionsE3025", "AddToDB": true },
        { "Type": "LanceDef", "Path": "lance", "ShouldMergeJSON": true, "AddToDB": false },
        { "Type": "LanceDef", "Path": "lance_new", "AddToDB": true },
		{ "Type": "MechDef", "Path": "mech", "AddToDB": true },
		{ "Type": "ChassisDef", "Path": "meleeFixes-chassisMerge", "ShouldMergeJSON": true, "AddToDB": false },
		{ "Type": "MechDef", "Path": "meleeFixes-mechMerge", "ShouldMergeJSON": true, "AddToDB": false },
		{ "Type": "MovementCapabilitiesDef", "Path": "movement", "AddToDB": true },
        { "Type": "PathingCapabilitiesDef", "Path": "pathing" },
        { "Type": "Sprite", "Path": "portraits" },
		{ "Type": "UpgradeDef", "Path": "upgrades", "AddToDB": true },
		{ "Type": "VehicleDef", "Path": "vehicle", "AddToDB": true },
		{ "Type": "VehicleChassisDef", "Path": "vehicleChassis", "AddToDB": true },
        { "Type": "VehicleDef", "Path": "vehicle_rarity", "ShouldMergeJSON": true, "AddToDB": false },
        { "Type": "VehicleDef", "Path": "vehicle_appearancedates", "ShouldMergeJSON": true, "AddToDB": false },
		{ "Type": "WeaponDef", "Path": "weapon", "AddToDB": true }
    ]
}
Second, you need to delete the .modtek folder in your Mods directory. This looks like where Modtek caches database information. When you start Battletech again, modtek will rebuild this folder, this time without the turrets.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Oh well that's a simple fix. I assumed I was doing something wrong when I got wiped out from 4 lrm turrets every time I got spotted

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HBS put up a news bulletin/blog post: https://www.harebrained-schemes.com/blog/01-indie-again

TL;DR they're got a pitch for a game and are shipping it around and either someone (LOOKING AT YOU MICROSOFT) will pick it up or basically they're done. It's a tough time for the games industry in general, it's a super tough time for them.

e: my harsh-but-true take, it looks like they're aiming in the right direction. HBS have never put out a game that wowed people mechanically, even Battletech (probably their strongest) quickly becomes a solved puzzle after only a little bit of time with it. Their strongest games and the ones that got them attention were the Shadowrun trilogy, where they match 'good enough' gameplay with an absolutely incredible narrative. And hopefully what the industry is realising is that if you aren't making COD or a Fortnight competitor then narrative is the secret sauce behind what people want.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 23, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They're making a Rick and Morty TBS?!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Are there any mods out there that adds mechs that are not clan mechs and does not change existing mechs and is not BEX/BTA/RT?

I tried https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/18 JK variants and it does add some stuff but it also fucks every existing mech out of being able to use jumpjets if they didn't come stock with them. It also hasn't been updated in a long time.

I already tried out BTA and while it was kind of nice with all the new stuff the load times sucked rear end and vehicles are stupid OP along with turning the game into an unstable mess that overflows after 2 missions.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Alchenar posted:

HBS put up a news bulletin/blog post: https://www.harebrained-schemes.com/blog/01-indie-again

TL;DR they're got a pitch for a game and are shipping it around and either someone (LOOKING AT YOU MICROSOFT) will pick it up or basically they're done. It's a tough time for the games industry in general, it's a super tough time for them.

e: my harsh-but-true take, it looks like they're aiming in the right direction. HBS have never put out a game that wowed people mechanically, even Battletech (probably their strongest) quickly becomes a solved puzzle after only a little bit of time with it. Their strongest games and the ones that got them attention were the Shadowrun trilogy, where they match 'good enough' gameplay with an absolutely incredible narrative. And hopefully what the industry is realising is that if you aren't making COD or a Fortnight competitor then narrative is the secret sauce behind what people want.

That's rough news. They got hosed hard by paradox eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Ouch, I wish them the best and hope the next project can knock it out of the park.

ded posted:

Are there any mods out there that adds mechs that are not clan mechs and does not change existing mechs and is not BEX/BTA/RT?
I swear there has to be something that's just the community asset 'Mechs and associated jsons. But I've been out the loop for too long and the big mod packs have consumed the remaining mod scene.