Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It could make for a neat roguelike, where the world name is the seed for it.

Also, lmao that the "P#X-###" format is for addresses in the Milky Way and the "M#X-###" format is for addresses in Pegasus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Teal'c's Escape: An SGC Adventure Game

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

FFT posted:

Neat enough premise perhaps, but as soon as I got to the first bit of gameplay I went "nope."

Why does it look like an Evil Genius clone lmao

yea it holds the rare distinction of being the only game ive played where the menu was the most exciting part

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just reskin xcom

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah x-com is right there. It’s just missing a desert, forest, cave, forest, ship, forest and factory tile set.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Don't forget variously-themed villages!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Cthulu Carl posted:

I dunno why they went top-down RTS when "play as an SG team" is basically perfect for squad-based shooter

It’s really baffling when they could have made a new xcom reskin and it would have been pretty much perfect. Add in some rpg style diplomacy/non violent ways to resolve missions and it’d be probably exactly what people were looking for.

To me the rts part took the weight of actions out of it and it was just an hp/dps battle without much in the way of tactics, which is why the taure were so effective against the jaffa.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

dr_rat posted:

Everyone called Jackson the moral compass of the group but he was all for heartlessly killing the Goa'uld, our kind and just gods, so how moral could he really be, huh?

The one thing I don't like in SG1 or Atlantis is how loving horrendous they are to everyone that's not a human. You're a replicator or a Goa'uld or a Wraith that seems friendly? gently caress you. gently caress you loads.
And it always does come back to bite them but I don't get why they're like that

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Tunicate posted:

Just reskin xcom

Yes. This.

I've always thought Stargate would make an amazing XCom game.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Taear posted:

The one thing I don't like in SG1 or Atlantis is how loving horrendous they are to everyone that's not a human. You're a replicator or a Goa'uld or a Wraith that seems friendly? gently caress you. gently caress you loads.
And it always does come back to bite them but I don't get why they're like that

humans are a greater race than the ones you mentioned. its that simple.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i just got up to the introduction of the ori in my watch through. thats the guy from farscape right. the new sg1 lead. also i really dislike that thief character but daniel just being tired of her poo poo for 3 episodes was pretty good. although i suspect hes a bit less done with her poo poo now that the ori killed her and brought her back to life.

also when ever i read ori in the thread i thought it was ore ee when i heard it as ore eye i was like wtf!?

i dont get the hate for spirits its pretty much jack being mad about the sgc doing an imperialism and then the cool shape shifting aliens in a foothold situation. it even got a few native actors some work. i also dont get the broca divide hate. i do get the mongolian hate that episode sucked. i basically rank episodes in really good meh and this poo poo sucks. i put the broca divide and spirits in meh and the mongolian one in this poo poo sucks i also put that heart of darkness one with carters ex fiance in the this poo poo sucks one.

this show has like 5 this poo poo sucks episodes and alot of really good episodes

snergle fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 9, 2024

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

snergle posted:

i just got up to the introduction of the ori in my watch through. thats the guy from farscape right. the new sg1 lead. also i really dislike that thief character but daniel just being tired of her poo poo for 3 episodes was pretty good. although i suspect hes a bit less done with her poo poo now that the ori killed her and brought her back to life.
She was also a main character on Farscape.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Farscape is also really good. Worth watching if you haven't.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

alexandriao posted:

Like to be fair to Shanks, he was really the only guy without a storyline up until that point.

Jack had a long term Carter thing going on and was managing the team and got witty quips but RDA was happy about that.

Teal'c gets the goa'uld stuff to dig into.

Carter is Miss Exposition and also got a lot of one off episodes where weird poo poo happens to her

and then Daniel is kinda like... he gets to be the moral outcrier but he didn't really have an independent storyline or a background that was being excavated.

And in the season where he leaves he does get a few more interesting episodes i think, like they clearly were trying but it was just the nature of the character at that point

I think Daniel Jackson was good for the dynamic when he was more of a dweeb, he's less interesting once he becomes a ripped badass though yeah it kinda sucks to end up playing out- it's like Brent Spiner in TNG really wanting to try an act again even though it's better for Data not to say "oh poo poo".

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

FFT posted:

She was also a main character on Farscape.

ah i havent seen it in awhile she did look familiar but her sg1 character starts out very annoying

itry posted:

Farscape is also really good. Worth watching if you haven't.

i have but i havent seen it for awhile i watched it on tv when it originally ran then did a rewatch when the peacekeeper wars came out on dvd

i love the henson company and i wish brian got more work for it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

snergle posted:

ah i havent seen it in awhile she did look familiar but her sg1 character starts out very annoying

i have but i havent seen it for awhile i watched it on tv when it originally ran then did a rewatch when the peacekeeper wars came out on dvd

i love the henson company and i wish brian got more work for it.

Yeah, the puppets still hold up much better than that era's basic CGI. I could go for a rewatch myself. It's been a few years.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Puppets still work better a lot of the time.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i never watched the puppet show and u cant make me

the machiello body switch episode is funny af.

evil genius: "haha ive encrypted this thing so it cant do backsies"

thank goodness this is a puzzle a kindergartener could solve

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 9, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Worf posted:

i never watched the puppet show and u cant make me

the machiello body switch episode is funny af.

evil genius: "haha ive encrypted this thing so it cant do backsies"

thank goodness this is a puzzle a kindergartener could solve

I enjoyed RDA and Judge playing the other character.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Daniel Jackson chat from yesterday I missed:

His whole thing in the very early part of the show was "I know how the Stargate works" and "I know how to interact with foreign/ancient/alien cultures".

As the show progresses they have less issues with understanding the how of it working and more of the why - they're having science-y issues that Sam has to solve - and the producers (correctly) decide to drop the other cultures speaking different languages, and it becomes more cultural differences that means butting heads with Jack (and less often Teal'c or Sam). Daniel in general just becomes less useful and more of a sticking point in the show.

When they brought him back he's suddenly got a new role in figuring out the Ancient poo poo which makes him much more valuable.

I can see why Shanks would have wanted to branch out and do other things (lest we forget they filmed what, a hundred episodes before he left?), and then came back.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Binging it made me hate Jack because the "lol poindexter explain it in english" stuff got really loving tiresome
The nadir of it is when they go to that planet with the people being fake SG teams fighting and he's really flippant about it, felt so weird

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

EvilHawk posted:

(lest we forget they filmed what, a hundred episodes before he left?)

Wormhole X-Treme is season 5, and the 100th episode special, so yeah give or take.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Taear posted:

Binging it made me hate Jack because the "lol poindexter explain it in english" stuff got really loving tiresome
The nadir of it is when they go to that planet with the people being fake SG teams fighting and he's really flippant about it, felt so weird

Jack is often flippant, rude and undiplomatic. First official contact with the Tok'ra (Season 2), and he's openly mocking them, disgusted with them, etc.

The Stargate movie is the worst example of what you're referring to IMO. The other two SG members are openly bullying Daniel, throwing his research down a hill, etc.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Man the Appophis capture episode inducing that hosts are aware of everything. Dude, thought he was finally going to die after all the poo poo but nope sorry man you're going to get way more.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Just watched Citizen Joe last night and I'd 100% believe it if you told me it was written by Darin Morgan. Well done.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Man the Appophis capture episode inducing that hosts are aware of everything. Dude, thought he was finally going to die after all the poo poo but nope sorry man you're going to get way more.

Why didn't they bury that guy and toss the snake through the gate lmao

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
poo poo I wouldn't risk being literal in that moment. Sorry bro it's going to suck at lot more. Maybe we'll blow you up later

SterlingSylver
Feb 20, 2007
Hey, so I used to watch Stargate with my thesis advisor in college. We watched SG1 and Farscape, and it was a good time, but that was my main exposure to Stargate stuff. I was more a Farscape guy, but I respected the Stargate

So whatever, half a decade passes and I'm looking through online dating sites and found a woman who was listing Stargate fanfic as her last read literature. Instantly I had to meet this woman; I had to know this person who listed Stargate fanfic as a part of her profile to meet someone online. I asked her out, we hung out a bunch, and she made sure that I saw all of SG1 and Atlantis. Season 1 was rough, but she was pretty awesome, so I stuck through the marathon of episodes until it "got good." Don't worry, I made her watch Farscape in return, which was useful when the Farscape cast showed up in SG1.

Anyways we've been married for more than a decade. That's my story of how this weird SyFy nee Showtime show played a role in matching two tremendous nerds. A good show, A++, no real notes based on results.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SterlingSylver posted:

Hey, so I used to watch Stargate with my thesis advisor in college. We watched SG1 and Farscape, and it was a good time, but that was my main exposure to Stargate stuff. I was more a Farscape guy, but I respected the Stargate

So whatever, half a decade passes and I'm looking through online dating sites and found a woman who was listing Stargate fanfic as her last read literature. Instantly I had to meet this woman; I had to know this person who listed Stargate fanfic as a part of her profile to meet someone online. I asked her out, we hung out a bunch, and she made sure that I saw all of SG1 and Atlantis. Season 1 was rough, but she was pretty awesome, so I stuck through the marathon of episodes until it "got good." Don't worry, I made her watch Farscape in return, which was useful when the Farscape cast showed up in SG1.

Anyways we've been married for more than a decade. That's my story of how this weird SyFy nee Showtime show played a role in matching two tremendous nerds. A good show, A++, no real notes based on results.

Comtraya!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

SterlingSylver posted:

congrats nerd

Im liking this garek guy hes a good character and a nice foil to tealc. when he drug baal infront of the council and revealed his hand to tealc earlier in the episode it was great. also the ending with 5 baal clones and that woman just hanging out in an apartment was such an oh poo poo moment its good to see sam back in the team to. we just lost jack irc someone said he had a kid born around this season and wanted to be a good dad so i dont blame him.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
watched a few more and garak falling for origin is annoying but pretty in character for him especially with what braytek said about old people wanting a promise of life after this one.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Was that Lou Gosset Jr?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

redshirt posted:

Was that Lou Gosset Jr?
He played Gerak, yes. Dunno who Garak or Garek are tho

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

FFT posted:

He played Gerak, yes. Dunno who Garak or Garek are tho

Braytek's cousins, of course

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
lol. im suprised i even spell any of the names right outside jack sam and daniel. i wanna know what that wierd thing is that happens everytime they put someone near the fire. it didnt happen to daniel but it happens to everyone else. im guessing their possessed by an ori.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

lol. im suprised i even spell any of the names right outside jack sam and daniel. i wanna know what that wierd thing is that happens everytime they put someone near the fire. it didnt happen to daniel but it happens to everyone else. im guessing their possessed by an ori.

Vala too. Seemed like the Ori could "possess" you if they wanted to or not. And that's what it seems like, possession. You get some small portion of their power, but now have to answer to them and do their bidding.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

redshirt posted:

And that's what it seems like, possession. You get some small portion of their power, but now have to answer to them and do their bidding.

No, no, that's just employment

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Vala too. Seemed like the Ori could "possess" you if they wanted to or not. And that's what it seems like, possession. You get some small portion of their power, but now have to answer to them and do their bidding.

vala was left in the room unless this happened later. also gerak wasnt fully in their control so maybe it isnt possession. although i suspect gerak isnt dead just getting tortured in the city of the gods.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

vala was left in the room unless this happened later. also gerak wasnt fully in their control so maybe it isnt possession. although i suspect gerak isnt dead just getting tortured in the city of the gods.

His body, or his soul?

Also, time for Triad! Zipcana, what have you to say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Garak is on DS9