Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Switzerland (or at least Splügen) kinda has it for Ash Wednesday

Schweizer Alpen-Club SAC posted:

At 1 p.m., the young men swarm in rags and skins and try to blacken the faces of children and single women. Everyone must be "pschuuret" by sunset, there are no more chases in the evening. On the contrary: the boys then dress up as "Mannli and Wibli" and beg for eggs in pairs at the house entrances. From these, egg salad and "Resimäda" - a drink of eggs, wine and sugar - are prepared later in the evening. At midnight, the young people meet with their guests for a rushing festival, where, in addition to eating the egg dishes, the secret of which beggar is under which mask is revealed. "In the background of this custom is a pagan fertility ritual," says long-time teacher Reto Attenhofer. "The egg dishes should strengthen the marriageable youth and promote their fertility. With the masks, they possibly wanted to drive away vegetation- and anti-human demons."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mawarannahr posted:

the Italians do this poo poo too?
It's a Southern European thing.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

genericnick posted:

It's somehow also a catholic thing.

Sinterklaas is literally Saint Nicholas, so that's originally a catholic thing too.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if spain, austria, and the dutch all do something it's probably a Hapsburg Thing

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Looks like a "christians & moors" celebration, if so they're pretty much Spain and some places that used to be spanish colonies

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Last I was in Switzerland many years ago there was a political party ad that was a bunch of cartoon white sheep gleefully kicking a black one off their field with their hind legs and the caption "Wir brauchen Sicherheit" (We need safety). The swiss are not a subtle people

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Switzerland is a fake country anyway. Of all the nations to go off on ethnic purity...

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Except when it comes to the national football team and they realize their talent pool is still waters that don't run deep.

I'll never get over the fact that Tina Turner of all people went all the way with it. Learned swiss german and everything and became a full fledged citizen.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

many Swiss documentaries about Tina Turner. they love her rip

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Can't sleep for some reason so some more racist euro story time: last I was in Europe I visited my beloved Germany for Christmas and in my first stop Hamburg I met one of the most shockingly racist people I've ever met in my life, and I come from barely reconstructed southern white stock. Homeboy moved to southern brazil during the dictatorship in the 70's because "they were doing it right", that kind of german. Just would not shut up about muslims or even die Schwarze.

As a jet lagged man of taste I was in an irish pub run by actual irish dudes that'd been there years and spoke no german but they assured me that if I started swinging I'd 100% get arrested and sent to jail no questions asked, but that they kinda agreed with me. I told him I was sorry our bombers missed his family's house and when he gets to hell he can tell that to his mother. Can't remember someone getting under my skin to make me say something like that, christ.

In contrast the other dude next to me was a super sweet tall german guy and a regular at the bar. Suffered some brain damage in a car crash when young and had speech issues and said "hello!" to me at least 5 times but always with the same genuine enthusiasm, that dude was cool

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fortaleza posted:

Except when it comes to the national football team and they realize their talent pool is still waters that don't run deep.

I'll never get over the fact that Tina Turner of all people went all the way with it. Learned swiss german and everything and became a full fledged citizen.
The Swiss confirmed less racist than the French.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

Fortaleza posted:

It always throws me when I hear swiss-germans talking about the Nationalfussballmannschaft, commonly spoken as the part in bold.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

the Italians do this poo poo too?

We do a lot of terrible things but that's not one on our list

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Its probably not, Portugal doesnt have anything like this and we are a-tier catholics.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

hey now, in portugal we do straight up racist caricatures, none of this two step removed justification

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

PhilippAchtel posted:

Switzerland is a fake country anyway. Of all the nations to go off on ethnic purity...

the reveal itt that women only got the right to vote in the 90s made me laugh so hard

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Noosphere posted:

It always throws me when I hear swiss-germans talking about the Nationalfussballmannschaft, commonly spoken as the part in bold.

Etymologically, nachos are the most fascist food

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the reveal itt that women only got the right to vote in the 90s made me laugh so hard

lmao

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Only got women's suffrage at the federal level in 1971 too, jesus.

That last place where they were finally forced to let women vote in '90:

quote:

The voters of the canton had stood against women's suffrage in 1959 by 2,050 votes to 105

:shepface:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Its probably not, Portugal doesnt have anything like this and we are a-tier catholics.

Honest Thief posted:

hey now, in portugal we do straight up racist caricatures, none of this two step removed justification
I wrote Southern European. Portugal is Eastern European.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
We do have a surprisingly amount of animosity towards Russians

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

We do have a surprisingly amount of animosity towards Russians

I kind of wonder why. From the diaspora here they don’t seem that racist but from what I understand, the Azores may as well be a different country

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Char posted:

We do a lot of terrible things but that's not one on our list

For example:

https://twitter.com/PBerizzi/status/1744128907941425567

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Retro crazed Italian youths

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Isentropy posted:

I kind of wonder why. From the diaspora here they don’t seem that racist but from what I understand, the Azores may as well be a different country

I think it's due to as a small country trying to play up to bigger Euro nations, like hating on them more because the english or french dislike them

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

That's just embarrassing, no discipline or coordination. Mussolini is spinning on his rope.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
do nordic countries still see themselves as more fiscally responsible than the swarthy tawny mediterraneans or is that old school now?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Honest Thief posted:

I think it's due to as a small country trying to play up to bigger Euro nations, like hating on them more because the english or french dislike them

it’s because we’ve imported and fully embraced lib brain in the last 20 years.there is no zealot like a late convert.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The great states are returning, their heritage unearthed from their fertile fields, the people remember!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

euroshopper posted:

do nordic countries still see themselves as more fiscally responsible than the swarthy tawny mediterraneans or is that old school now?

nordic countries see ourselves as the best at everything, including fiscal discipline

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Zodium posted:

nordic countries see ourselves as the best at everything, including fiscal discipline

but also countercyclical spending when the situation calls for that

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
This is the most worrying part of Swedens ascent into NATO. Swedish libs have such "student council president energy" that there is no limit to what we will do to suck up to the atlanticists. Or well, do already but the NATO club doesnt help.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
I just remembered when the Greek debt crisis happened, a lot of northwestern Euro countries blamed the Greeks and their "laziness" and tried to oust them from the EU. The whole spiel about Greeks being genetically lazy in comparison to the hard-working Germanic peoples is rly funny because 90% of their scientific and political vocabulary were stolen from ancient Greek.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
balding overweight finn seeing a greco-roman bust: my ancestor :)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

euroshopper posted:

I just remembered when the Greek debt crisis happened, a lot of northwestern Euro countries blamed the Greeks and their "laziness" and tried to oust them from the EU. The whole spiel about Greeks being genetically lazy in comparison to the hard-working Germanic peoples is rly funny because 90% of their scientific and political vocabulary were stolen from ancient Greek.
ancient greeks. modern greeks are turks.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Breivik started bawling in court and complained he thought of suicide daily. :allears:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Hope he still does.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oooo, "saluti romani" sounds so suave and italian. i wonder what it means

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIzhArtSeCY

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1748155843428618569

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gonna assume dwangwet is the right-wing dogwhistle "forced marriage" (sounds kinda like danish 'tvangsægteskab' but english 'wedding' instead), and goddamn that was a whole thing here as well

our former minister of integration, piece of poo poo inger støjberg, forcibly separated everyone where one partner was under 18 without any kind of case review. it was only like 40 couples iirc, many were like 17 and 20, some attempted suicide. it was all hosed up.

after lots of hemming and hawing by the rest of the govt, she was impeached and expelled from parliament. for wilfully and intentionally breaking the law as a govt minister, she got 2 months prison (served at home with an ankle monitor...)

then she got re-elected by a bunch of other racist fuckwits :shepface:

gently caress all these fuckers