Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Jiro posted:

Did the Toonami broadcast show during the end credits after the nuclear apocalypse that the remains of Eren's head sprouted another bug tree with a cave in it to just repeat this Titan bullshit all over again?

wait, was that seriously the implication

that the plagas parasite was still in his head and we're about to do this whole rigamarole all over again

like, i know we were joking about war never changing, but did it seriously end on a note of "time is a flat circle"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Argus Zant posted:

wait, was that seriously the implication

that the plagas parasite was still in his head and we're about to do this whole rigamarole all over again

like, i know we were joking about war never changing, but did it seriously end on a note of "time is a flat circle"

The tree that the little kid with the dog is investigating looks exactly the same as the one that gave Ymir her titan powers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
:doh: I didn't catch that, I just thought the kid was exploring and found that the tree had grown so much bigger over the years to give the audience the feeling of "wow time sure has passed". God what a horrible ending.

...You know what, it probably worked better in the manga (or maybe it still would've sucked), but the way it was presented here specifically grinds my gears. Specifically I would've been slightly more okay with it if they didn't do the whole thing over the credits roll. Or hell, if the radicalized people of Paradis had blown Armin & co.'s boat out of the water. Like, if you want to do your bleak "war never changes" ending, just do it, not stick it at the close like you're a loving Marvel movie building hype for a sequel.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The original final chapter did end at the bird wrapping Mikasa's scarf. The credits showed the epilogue scenes that came out a couple months later, aside from the fact in the manga epilogue it was implied only about a hundred years passed before everything got bombed to poo poo instead of centuries or millennia.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Yeah in the manga it was like a 100 years until paradis was nuked

The anime makes it so it's like 20,000 years on the future

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Tree Reformat posted:

The original final chapter did end at the bird wrapping Mikasa's scarf. The credits showed the epilogue scenes that came out a couple months later, aside from the fact in the manga epilogue it was implied only about a hundred years passed before everything got bombed to poo poo instead of centuries or millennia.

I remember vaguely hearing when this was first airing people getting really loving mad at that bird for some reason and I kept waiting for it at the end to do something worthy of internet rage and it just...didnt

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

jesus tittyfucking christ, what if the entire loving show was meant to be the plagas in Erin's fossilized skull doing a history lesson to the boy & his dog when it infectulates them

the title of the very first episode is literally "To You, in 2,000 Years"

The Shame Boy posted:

I remember vaguely hearing when this was first airing people getting really loving mad at that bird for some reason and I kept waiting for it at the end to do something worthy of internet rage and it just...didnt

yeah same, i had heard rumblings that some people soured on the entire series because of the final chapter being some kind of shitshow, and then I was sorta left off Saturday night feeling like "that was it? that was the clusterfuck of a finale?" And like, I can kinda see some of the vitriol when it ends on "time is a flat circle, war never changes" instead of just a more passive "thus passes the world" but i'd argue that the anime ending, in this context, arguably makes the whole ending worse rather than better

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Argus Zant posted:

jesus tittyfucking christ, what if the entire loving show was meant to be the plagas in Erin's fossilized skull doing a history lesson to the boy & his dog when it infectulates them

That's refencing Ymir waiting for Eren.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Argus Zant posted:

yeah same, i had heard rumblings that some people soured on the entire series because of the final chapter being some kind of shitshow, and then I was sorta left off Saturday night feeling like "that was it? that was the clusterfuck of a finale?" And like, I can kinda see some of the vitriol when it ends on "time is a flat circle, war never changes" instead of just a more passive "thus passes the world" but i'd argue that the anime ending, in this context, arguably makes the whole ending worse rather than better

The manga ending was a little different where the conversation between Eren and Armin was a lot worse. IIRC it is Armin basically going "wow, I can't believe you did all that for us" and basically forgiving Eren for what he did.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

The manga ending was a little different where the conversation between Eren and Armin was a lot worse. IIRC it is Armin basically going "wow, I can't believe you did all that for us" and basically forgiving Eren for what he did.

Yeah the manga SEVERELY waffled on calling Eren out for being a dumb poo poo genocider, and just having Armin doing his best Morty "Aw jeez" impression with the author kinda letting Eren off the hook either explicitly or not. The anime was SUPPOSED to somehow do some sort of statement against Erin's dumb as gently caress "OOPS ALL FASCISM and genocide" solution I guess having Armin punch him and chew him out a little while then embracing him being happy that he'll get to see his friend, who apparently had no control whatsoever cause fate is some predetermined thing, in Hell.

I was just surprised that the anime went EVEN FURTHER in showing some NEO Paradis poo poo getting atomized, and just shrugging and going nope y'all are going to repeat this all over again because Mikasa really needed to make out with a severed skull. For me personally, it made everything feel so much WORSE in a completely different way and is just so bleak and hopeless.....just.....ugh.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jiro posted:

I was just surprised that the anime went EVEN FURTHER in showing some NEO Paradis poo poo getting atomized, and just shrugging and going nope y'all are going to repeat this all over again because Mikasa really needed to make out with a severed skull. For me personally, it made everything feel so much WORSE in a completely different way and is just so bleak and hopeless.....just.....ugh.

"Humanity will never stop fighting itself until it shrinks to a size of one or fewer"

You can't say you weren't warned.

The anime showing it as NEO Paradis is relevant because it emphasizes that this particular event isn't about Marleyians, Eldians, or any other subgroup, real or fictional, or about the actions of the cast. This is about people in general, tying into the theme of peace and understanding being hard won ideals, not something that's easily secured forever. (Second law of thermodynamics says that forever ends grim anyway. Put your hopes in a paradise on this side of death, they're liable to be real disappointed.)

Actually, the manga went even further in its ending with the reveal that it was all a movie based on true events being watched by the AoT high school versions of Eren, Armin, and Mikasa. (Armin complained about the ending.)

Interesting that no-one commented here on the later shots of Mikasa pretty much confirming she got together with Jean. Was a bit controversial when it happened.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

muscles like this! posted:

The tree that the little kid with the dog is investigating looks exactly the same as the one that gave Ymir her titan powers.

when i saw that i figured that's what they were going for but my brain kind of rejected it as too stupid to take seriously

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Hey guess what's getting a new chapter in April

Give up ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShingekiNoKyojin/s/AiRdYfF1av

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Tree Reformat posted:

"Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends."

except instead of a "wise man sort of solemnly pontificating on the nature of the universe and the passage of linear time to someone who thinks they'll always be able to shoot the curve" way it's more of a "i'm so very loving tired of all these goddamned star wars" way

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 13, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Argus Zant posted:

except instead of a "wise man sort of solemnly pontificating on the nature of the universe and the passage of linear time to someone who thinks they'll always be able to shoot the curve" way it's more of a "i'm so very loving tired of all these goddamned star wars" way

Somehow Eren walks out of the big tree and looks at all the damage and just facepalms going "wow I miscalculated this even worse than I thought, huh?"

Chapter/Story End.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

fit em all up in there posted:

Hey guess what's getting a new chapter in April

Give up ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShingekiNoKyojin/s/AiRdYfF1av

It's apparently just going to be a one-shot about Levi's post-war life included as a bonus with the artbook, not anything setting up further installments. Like the bonus chapters of Dungeon Meshi.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ahoy hoy:

https://cytu.be/r/goonami

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

PREVIOUSLY, ON TOONAMI

Attack on Titan: The Final Season: The Final Chapters: The Final Episode: We loving Mean It This Time: Part 2: For Now - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sgycukafqQ

Demon Slayer - We fought a demon on a train, and then we fought a demon train, and then we fought another demon! And in the course of doing all that Rengoku died! Very sad. I honestly can't remember why we had needed to talk to him in the first place, but I know it doesn't matter a drat because he told us before everything went to poo poo that he had no idea what we were talking about.

Dr. Stone - Well, we managed to retake the Perseus from the Treasure Island locals, though not without having to sic our resident murderous psychopath against their resident local psychopath. Then Jafar pulled shenanigans to cast Flesh to Stone across the entire island and kill everyone but himself- or at least, that was his plan, because when we last left off Senku was all "I lived, bitch" and now I guess we're gonna spend tonight learning how the gently caress he pulled THAT off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tanjiro wanted to talk to Rengoku because he was trying to see if Flame breathing had anything to do with the Hinokami Kagura, it doesn't.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

you think the Gurren Lagann movies are worth seeing in theaters? i was gonna ask that earlier but i forgot

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

First one is pure recap

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Argus Zant posted:

Dr. Stone - Well, we managed to retake the Perseus from the Treasure Island locals, though not without having to sic our resident murderous psychopath against their resident local psychopath. Then Jafar pulled shenanigans to cast Flesh to Stone across the entire island and kill everyone but himself- or at least, that was his plan, because when we last left off Senku was all "I lived, bitch" and now I guess we're gonna spend tonight learning how the gently caress he pulled THAT off.

didn't he just run the other way

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
lol this is like one of those "what JoJo fights look like to non-Stand user" videos

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

TwoPair posted:

lol this is like one of those "what JoJo fights look like to non-Stand user" videos
What if the Stands are just a shared hallucination and their bodies just did all that.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Polygynous posted:

didn't he just run the other way

A: the petrification wave engulfed the island, nowhere on land was safe

B: Senku, athletic, pick one.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, right, he had a little brother.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Huh, Tanjiro said all that? Pretty funny.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Yeah just walk in and take that book without paying, sure.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

jesus, is this gonna turn into the loving Battle of Stalingrad or something

e: oh man, these people are about to get fuckin' mulched, aren't they

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

"Haha, I hate my son!"

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Level Seven posted:

A: the petrification wave engulfed the island, nowhere on land was safe

B: Senku, athletic, pick one.

idk that seemed to be what (was implied to have) happened

or he could have rigged a delayed depetrification device in 90 seconds after all

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Wow, he looks so young. What's his skincare routine?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
OF COURSE he's playing this sick kid, why wouldn't he be

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
drat, so this guy is Michael Jackson and a lady and a little kid? Dude gets around.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, he's a little kid now. Remember when he was a hot lady before?

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Last time, he was Micheal Jackson. Today, Selim Bradley. Next time, ???

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Level Seven posted:

Last time, he was Micheal Jackson. Today, Selim Bradley. Next time, ???
He was also a girl that one time

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Man, talk about toxic employers.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress your sword!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open