Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

I don't think you have to give Chris Cuomo any credit for anything after laundering his brother's mass negligent homicide on TV for years tbh

he was pretty good on the adam friedland show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zantie posted:

This is so painful. I get the black&white logic of "I was ultimately the one who made the decision to take my mask down" as in, when told to unmask for a job interview there was technically a point that they could have declined and left. But the way the world actually works flies in the face of that in little moments like this for so many people. It's like if you're in need of anything, a job, dental care, whatever, without having an immediate indicator for "COVID is present" to reassure oneself to try again later, there's always the risk of missing out on an opportunity to obtain something needed because actual risk in that moment was lower than perceived risk. This is why I cringe a little when someone (here, on twitter, whenever) says all unfiltered air is poison, because if you then "willingly" share in that air it automatically implies you are then responsible for it you get unlucky. Even if someone is able to maintain compassion towards others who get got, they might not be so forgiving to themselves if it happens to them.

For what it's worth, I do feel we as a group have gotten a lot better about expressing that compassion and not assigning blame on a person when they come in with a pos. update or to ask for help.

It's like the illusion of free choice. I hate when it gets used as an excuse for not taking any responsibility for ones actions, but I also hate when it's ignored because people like the one above then beat themselves up unnecessarily. Goddamn that sucks so much.

Thoguh posted:

This is why the whole argument that everyone should make their own decisions based on the information available to them is complete bullshit. There's so much pressure to totally ignore COVID that it is not possible for anyone at the individual level to operate as a normal part of society and also protect themselves to the best of their ability unless they are lucky enough to have a family, employer, and medical service providers all in complete agreement. The basic idea of taking precautions is just totally out the window and just by acknowledging COVID is still a thing worth avoiding you're making yourself an unwelcome outlier.

good posts

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Pingui posted:

Just normal normalcy all the normal time.

Shiiiiiiit. Getting to stay home without a doctor's note is a big effing deal, lol.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Where are the hospitalizations?? Where are the deaths??

https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/whats-new/JN.1-update-2024-01-05.html posted:

COVID-19 Activity Increases as Prevalence of JN.1 Variant Continues to Rise
COVID-19 Activity Increases as Prevalence of JN.1 Variant Continues to Rise
As the new year takes off, CDC continues to track the rise of JN.1 across the country. An offspring of BA.2.86, JN.1 is now the most widely circulating variant of SARS-CoV-2 in the United States and globally. At this time, there is no evidence that JN.1 causes more severe disease.

As of January 5, 2024, JN.1 is estimated to account for approximately 62% (range 55-68%) of all currently circulating SARS-CoV-2 variants, an increase from the estimated prevalence of 44% (range 39-50%) two weeks ago. CDC is also observing an increase in the prevalence of JN.1 in international travelers and wastewater viral levels, as well as in most regions around the globe.

COVID-19 infection levels in context
COVID-19 activity is currently high. COVID-19 infections, hospitalizations, and deaths have increased in recent weeks. JN.1 may be intensifying the spread of COVID-19 this winter.

COVID-19 infections are now causing severe disease less frequently than earlier in the pandemic. Infection levels measured using wastewater and test positivity, which capture both symptomatic and asymptomatic infections, are higher than the year before (currently estimated as being ~27% and ~17% higher, respectively). Wastewater viral levels, in particular, have increased rapidly over the last several weeks.

By comparison, measures of COVID-19-related illness requiring medical attention, such as emergency department visit rates, have also increased, but to a lesser extent and remain 21% lower than they were at the same time the year before. Furthermore, the number of COVID-19 hospitalizations are 22% lower than observed the year before, and the percent of total deaths associated with COVID-19 are 38% lower.

This change in the relationship between infection levels and illness severity is related to greater immune protection levels provided by vaccines, prior infection, or both. Over 97% of people have natural or vaccine-induced antibodies against the virus that causes COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2). This immune protection can fade over time but tends to last longer for preventing severe disease than for preventing infections.

It is also important to remember that COVID-19 and the longer-term effects of COVID-19, such as Long COVID, remain important public health threats, especially for people who are at higher risk of severe illness.

What’s new:
COVID-19 hospitalizations increased 20.4% the week ending December 30, 2023. In that same period, deaths went up by 12.5%, with COVID-19 deaths accounting for 3.6% of total deaths in the United States.
(..)

Ahh ok, so it will take an entire week for hospitalizations to be at the same level as last year. Hopefully deaths won't follow! Thank you CDC for putting the numbers in this very important context.

What's that you say? - the hospitalizations are actually from last week, so we are already there. Huh. Weird how time flies.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Jan 9, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ABC News just had a guy on talking about the 737 Max blowout and he said loose bolts in multiple planes is a sign of an “endemic problem related to manufacturing”. Glad we made that word useless

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

ABC News just had a guy on talking about the 737 Max blowout and he said loose bolts in multiple planes is a sign of an “endemic problem related to manufacturing”. Glad we made that word useless

If a problem is endemic it means it's not a problem.

It's really cool how we got here.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I think it means it is over, not a big deal and the new normal.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

man, having to do multiple rounds of job interviews with perhaps multiple companies is one of those things that I get anxious just thinking about now.

you’re outed as an unemployable doomer covid psycho unless you’re interviewing at 100% remote places.

can’t wait for the next round of layoffs~~

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Higher than even the OG Omicron wave

https://twitter.com/maolesen/status/1744101111802331298/

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

But where are the deaths????

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

:mild:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I had to snowblow 18 inches of snow today. Thought I was going to die. long covid is brutal

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Having a thread relevant problem:

We're both sick and tired, my SO is seeing spots just from lifting her computer bag, she complains about a sore throat and chest, and a pressure like "someone sitting on her chest". This, as more and more members of our extended families reveal they had covid around Christmas. I don't feel great either, but pulse oximeter seems alright.

My problem is that my wife sees my desire to get covid testing now as "wanting to be mad at the government" and "trying to prove a point".

Which is frustrating. I'm sympathetic to her feeling sick, I feel like garbage, it would be nice to not get other people sick, but as soon as the possibility of identifying what's going on comes up, she get's mad. This afternoon after work it started with "You can't even get tests anymore" which prompted me to agree, yeah it sucks we can't even get tests anymore, but her response immediately switched to "What difference would it make?" "Why does it matter?". "You should act the same way whatever you're sick with" "What's the difference between covid and anything else?".

All of which, I don't know, I suppose if you were saying everyone should isolate and mask when they're ill, I'm all for it. It's just that she got lol actually pretty loving snippy with me, and said that I'm acting "anti-government", which is a kind of tic in our relationship where conversations about fairly banal subjects go downhill very quickly and anything I say provokes more and more ire.

I feel like we're in another covid wave (and I'm going to have to test) because the speed and intensity of "I'm sorry you're feeling sick, what do you think you caught?" to accusations of being "subversive" is my barometer, like some people get aches before a storm.

I think this ties into the discussion about what's going on with people generally, I just don't know why it's manifesting like this for us. Is this a Hold Me Tight thing where basically she's sick and just wants chicken noodle soup and for me to not connect her (likely our) illness with something the government did, or is the problem pointing out that covid isn't over if we caught covid, and we can't have caught covid if we don't test?

Anyway, yes I think I caught it from my SIL over xmas again this year. It was a loving nightmare. It might have also spread from my family, because my cousin's husband spent Christmas alone, self-isolating in their basement, while my cousin came over with the kids, while my mom, SIL and aunts gossiped about how my poor cousin married beneath her (he's an electrical engineer). And my parents were both sick with covid the week before but "omitted" that because "we were afraid you wouldn't come over for dinner (20 people) if you knew". My brother and his wife both tested positive for covid after they got very sick midway last week.

Unfortunately, covid being over and all, I'm connecting red strings with tacks, because my wife said "It's already been two weeks", and when I asked if she remembered that the whole thing with covid was that people could have it for two weeks spreading it before symptoms she got pissy and accused me of being mad at the government again.

So, I need to get tests, isolate for at least a week regardless of the results, and then navigate the interpersonal dynamic of just talking about covid causing honest to god conflict in my marriage. I managed to get through Xmas without posting ITT, but Jesus Christ this is taking up more of my mental and emotional bandwidth than it has to, and I'm sorry but that illustrates the broader point that governments putting the entire responsibility of public health on individuals is not workable.

Particularly since she gets animated enough about this "anti-government" thing that I worry it could cause problems for me when her SC comes up for review. If she decides she "needs" to "get it off her chest" because we talked about feeling sick that week, I don't know. I'm not saying that out of nowhere, ultimately if I don't back down, these conversations on Ukraine and Covid culminate in her reminding me she's do for renewal soon and I shouldn't say anything she would "have" to disclose to end to conversation. Again, if that's a Hold Me Tight strategy where she's expressing anxiety, or even just an appeal to authority because she doesn't want to "debate", I can live with it, but it's taxing is what I'm saying.

e: I can only get Pax if I'm Inuit or a baby, and just mentioning it leads to the above conversations, so I'm sorry thread, but I'm putting this on you so I don't scream into a pillow.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:26 on Jan 9, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.hindustantimes.com/worl...4720332331.html

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/h...mask%20mandate.

St Louis issued a mask mandate for city employees in the face of skyrocketing hospitalizations, only to rescind the order after the governor calls and threatens them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
10% of shoppers at Costco in Burbank are masked, which is the most I’ve seen in 6 months

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

10% of shoppers at Costco in Burbank are masked, which is the most I’ve seen in 6 months

makes sense, as about 20% of shoppers at Costco in Burbank have Covid

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I mean, first and foremost, holding taking care of your wife is important. yes she is asking for that. do it.

... as for the logic being employed here, I guess my response would be "it's important to know if we have covid so that we can appropriately react and be aware of when we should go to the hospital," i.e. low blood oxygen, etc. It's good to know the enemy, right?

Also relevant to get paxlovid if you do get covid. it's not as easy in canada, maybe?

The logic of "what's it matter if it's covid" only applies if you're going to act as if getting ANY disease is an issue. I'm gonna guess she doesn't act that way.

E: just saw your edit about paxlovid. still important to know what you're sick with to know how you're going to behave. would you or her mask up in your own home? open windows/air purifier etc?

may not be a lot of answers.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Jan 9, 2024

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Oracle posted:

it was a test like Henry Ford used to do with his engineers. He’d take them out to dinner and anyone who salted their food before tasting was an automatic no since they didn’t test first before assuming and he felt that that was a sign of a poor engineer.

I thought that was the admiral who created the navy's nuclear submarine program? Maybe he learned it from Ford.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I mean, first and foremost, holding taking care of your wife is important. yes she is asking for that. do it.

... as for the logic being employed here, I guess my response would be "it's important to know if we have covid so that we can appropriately react and be aware of when we should go to the hospital," i.e. low blood oxygen, etc. It's good to know the enemy, right?

Also relevant to get paxlovid if you do get covid. it's not as easy in canada, maybe?

The logic of "what's it matter if it's covid" only applies if you're going to act as if getting ANY disease is an issue. I'm gonna guess she doesn't act that way.

E: just saw your edit about paxlovid. still important to know what you're sick with to know how you're going to behave. would you or her mask up in your own home? open windows/air purifier etc?

may not be a lot of answers.

It's impossible to get Pax where we are because, lol Americans please don't take this as an endorsement of the free market or privatized healthcare, only the paediatric hospitals and hospital for Inuit people are giving it out in our Public Health region. For everyone else, covid is officially over, and since you can only get covid medication from official sources, you see the problem.

For the day to day stuff, you're right. I am genuinely worried that she's sick, just like if she had a cold or flu, but it's weird that covid is a hot button issue that completely changes the conversation.

For my own stuff, I'm just going to assume I have it, but I will have to not say anything to her about that, and not be too conspicuous about changing my behaviour or something. Just casually work from home, casually turn on the air purifier, that sort of thing.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

Having a thread relevant problem:

We're both sick and tired, my SO is seeing spots just from lifting her computer bag, she complains about a sore throat and chest, and a pressure like "someone sitting on her chest". This, as more and more members of our extended families reveal they had covid around Christmas. I don't feel great either, but pulse oximeter seems alright.

My problem is that my wife sees my desire to get covid testing now as "wanting to be mad at the government" and "trying to prove a point".

Which is frustrating. I'm sympathetic to her feeling sick, I feel like garbage, it would be nice to not get other people sick, but as soon as the possibility of identifying what's going on comes up, she get's mad. This afternoon after work it started with "You can't even get tests anymore" which prompted me to agree, yeah it sucks we can't even get tests anymore, but her response immediately switched to "What difference would it make?" "Why does it matter?". "You should act the same way whatever you're sick with" "What's the difference between covid and anything else?".

All of which, I don't know, I suppose if you were saying everyone should isolate and mask when they're ill, I'm all for it. It's just that she got lol actually pretty loving snippy with me, and said that I'm acting "anti-government", which is a kind of tic in our relationship where conversations about fairly banal subjects go downhill very quickly and anything I say provokes more and more ire.

I feel like we're in another covid wave (and I'm going to have to test) because the speed and intensity of "I'm sorry you're feeling sick, what do you think you caught?" to accusations of being "subversive" is my barometer, like some people get aches before a storm.

I think this ties into the discussion about what's going on with people generally, I just don't know why it's manifesting like this for us. Is this a Hold Me Tight thing where basically she's sick and just wants chicken noodle soup and for me to not connect her (likely our) illness with something the government did, or is the problem pointing out that covid isn't over if we caught covid, and we can't have caught covid if we don't test?

Anyway, yes I think I caught it from my SIL over xmas again this year. It was a loving nightmare. It might have also spread from my family, because my cousin's husband spent Christmas alone, self-isolating in their basement, while my cousin came over with the kids, while my mom, SIL and aunts gossiped about how my poor cousin married beneath her (he's an electrical engineer). And my parents were both sick with covid the week before but "omitted" that because "we were afraid you wouldn't come over for dinner (20 people) if you knew". My brother and his wife both tested positive for covid after they got very sick midway last week.

Unfortunately, covid being over and all, I'm connecting red strings with tacks, because my wife said "It's already been two weeks", and when I asked if she remembered that the whole thing with covid was that people could have it for two weeks spreading it before symptoms she got pissy and accused me of being mad at the government again.

So, I need to get tests, isolate for at least a week regardless of the results, and then navigate the interpersonal dynamic of just talking about covid causing honest to god conflict in my marriage. I managed to get through Xmas without posting ITT, but Jesus Christ this is taking up more of my mental and emotional bandwidth than it has to, and I'm sorry but that illustrates the broader point that governments putting the entire responsibility of public health on individuals is not workable.

Particularly since she gets animated enough about this "anti-government" thing that I worry it could cause problems for me when her SC comes up for review. If she decides she "needs" to "get it off her chest" because we talked about feeling sick that week, I don't know. I'm not saying that out of nowhere, ultimately if I don't back down, these conversations on Ukraine and Covid culminate in her reminding me she's do for renewal soon and I shouldn't say anything she would "have" to disclose to end to conversation. Again, if that's a Hold Me Tight strategy where she's expressing anxiety, or even just an appeal to authority because she doesn't want to "debate", I can live with it, but it's taxing is what I'm saying.

e: I can only get Pax if I'm Inuit or a baby, and just mentioning it leads to the above conversations, so I'm sorry thread, but I'm putting this on you so I don't scream into a pillow.

I am sorry you're going through this and I think you deserve better for what it's worth

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tighclops posted:

I am sorry you're going through this and I think you deserve better for what it's worth

Thanks. I'm just frustrated that kicking the can of responsibility for public health down to individuals means that individuals will invariably come into conflict over it. I'm not trying to be contrarian or heterodox or antiestablishment, I would just rather not get sick, and my understanding of what causes you to get sick and how sick you get, is I suppose contrary to what the government would prefer people base those decisions on?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the fact that I'm wracking my brain to remember your last saga, as eventful as it was, is kinda doing me a crackping. and yeah, echoing above poster, I'm sorry you're goin through it but I don't have any specific recommendations to help :(

FWIW, I think there's a level of understanding of This Being Forever that people will resist down to their entire core, regardless of their intentions or even earnest understanding of the problem. It is fundamentally frightening.

speaking of new normal this is just everywhere now, all the time (this instance a UPS Store)

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
FF if you can't communicate with Mrs. FF your real and valid concerns, then you've got a bigger problem than Covid. I can't imagine your opinions on Ukraine, or the West's collapse in general, are any more appreciated by your wife.

Is she open to couple's therapy? Or is that also a risk to her SC?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Tighclops posted:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

My dog groomer just cancelled all new appointments and is begging people with existing appointments to cancel them because they're all sick

V normal

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Frosted Flake posted:

It's impossible to get Pax where we are because, lol Americans please don't take this as an endorsement of the free market or privatized healthcare, only the paediatric hospitals and hospital for Inuit people are giving it out in our Public Health region. For everyone else, covid is officially over, and since you can only get covid medication from official sources, you see the problem.

For the day to day stuff, you're right. I am genuinely worried that she's sick, just like if she had a cold or flu, but it's weird that covid is a hot button issue that completely changes the conversation.

For my own stuff, I'm just going to assume I have it, but I will have to not say anything to her about that, and not be too conspicuous about changing my behaviour or something. Just casually work from home, casually turn on the air purifier, that sort of thing.

Echoing that you deserve better. I loving hate how it's a personal problem now that "Covid is Over" (aka. the rich get richer).
One thing that worries me is the conflict between you and your wife. Saying that you need to keep quiet about Covid because that will set her off is no environment to nurture a possibly strained relationship in, and will probably lead to more conflict (God forbid resentment) in the future. There's something there that needs to be discussed in an open and "we're in this together, and I want us to succeed together" setting. That setting might not be possible right now due to the events you listed, but I believe it should be looked into in the near future. I'm not saying that she needs to start thinking like you do, but that there has to be a compromise you can both agree to that will help you both going forward. An intermediary/therapist might help if it's really tough. I wish I could offer better/more detailed advice, and maybe a hug, but I'm still angry at the world.

To the thread: Yes, I get how it's hard to be aware of whats really going on with the misinfo campaign from "Capital". Public health within our society is set up to fail. Yet, most of us in this thread have stayed on top of "Covid" from early 2020, and continue to educate ourselves within the tidal wave of "Covid is over!" bullshit. What sets us aside from the others that are "back to normal"? Is it because it's easier to ignore everything, hoping "it won't happen to me!"?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DickParasite posted:

FF if you can't communicate with Mrs. FF your real and valid concerns, then you've got a bigger problem than Covid. I can't imagine your opinions on Ukraine, or the West's collapse in general, are any more appreciated by your wife.

Is she open to couple's therapy? Or is that also a risk to her SC?

We have a couple's therapist and I feel like, lol this is going to seem crazy, things are really good and we communicate really well, unless she perceives it as political. The referral was in part because, talking about anything negative that happened in the military was perceived that way too which lol I mean, that was obviously not a good state of affairs. All of which to say we see a very nice couple's therapist at the taxpayer's expense because it's related to military service in that roundabout way.

I don't know what the through line in connecting these things, but anything else, money, kids, careers, whatever, our parents, things were already good before therapy and continue getting better. It's just this loving weird politics thing. I have no idea what that is or why it totally changes her reaction to my concerns, negative emotions, etc.

The problem is, obviously, long term, it's not good to trip a switch and have really negative interactions because she has deemed an issue political, and so out of bounds in our relationship.

e: I don't think I'm one of those guys from the meme that constantly bores his girlfriend by talking about Marx or launching into a rant or lecture, but it's like I'm being seen that way? Idk it's a very weird thing. lol my mother would also arbitrarily cordon off issues so all of my opinions or emotions about them other than compliance or stoicism would be met with an overwhelming negative response and some sort of punishment, so maybe I'm just touchy and she's reasonably bored of talking about covid as a societal thing and just wants to get through a week of being sick?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:50 on Jan 9, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

The referral was in part because, talking about anything negative that happened in the military was perceived that way too which lol I mean, that was obviously not a good state of affairs.

bahahahaha

e: im sorry thats not very empathetic just, wow.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

bahahahaha

e: im sorry thats not very empathetic just, wow.

:gbsmith:

It got better, but it's just strange, is all.

e: anyway, ignore the E/N derail. My point is that "Covid Is Over (Or Else)" has downstream consequences for people, and that's bullshit.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:59 on Jan 9, 2024

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Frosted Flake posted:

Having a thread relevant problem: (..)

It sounds like you are in a tight spot. Your dynamic is off, sorry to say, so I am unsure if I am reading her right.

To me and considering your description, fundamentally it sounds like she has some anxiety about it being COVID (from you and possibly from having had it herself). It would be nice to deal with that directly, but her framing is so peculiar I get a sense that it is a bit more complex. Keeping in mind that I know gently caress all about her beyond your descriptions, I recall she has some fairly ingrained ideas of whether the Canadian government would lie about COVID and that she is essentially part of the civil service on a high level.

So I think you are encountering this weird resistance because she is experiencing cognitive dissonance and you asking about COVID activates it, giving her a strong negative feeling. This part illustrates it well:

quote:

I asked if she remembered that the whole thing with covid was that people could have it for two weeks spreading it before symptoms she got pissy and accused me of being mad at the government again.

How does this description fit your experience?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pingui posted:

It sounds like you are in a tight spot. Your dynamic is off, sorry to say, so I am unsure if I am reading her right.

To me and considering your description, fundamentally it sounds like she has some anxiety about it being COVID (from you and possibly from having had it herself). It would be nice to deal with that directly, but her framing is so peculiar I get a sense that it is a bit more complex. Keeping in mind that I know gently caress all about her beyond your descriptions, I recall she has some fairly ingrained ideas of whether the Canadian government would lie about COVID and that she is essentially part of the civil service on a high level.

So I think you are encountering this weird resistance because she is experiencing cognitive dissonance and you asking about COVID activates it, giving her a strong negative feeling. This part illustrates it well:

How does this description fit your experience?

I think you nailed it in one. So, how can we do things better in the future?

e: I mean, we can talk to the therapist about the anxiety and how I react to, er whatever my reaction is, rather than the thread, but your insight connects pretty much everything I have posted ITT. I had not thought of all of the different parts of this as anxiety.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pingui posted:

cognitive dissonance

I think it's this, and if i have to guess it's not just about covid.

FF you speak frequently in CSPAM about the myriad of ways in which the West is destroying itself. It's it possible your wife senses this contradicts her career choice?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DickParasite posted:

I think it's this, and if i have to guess it's not just about covid.

FF you speak frequently in CSPAM about the myriad of ways in which the West is destroying itself. It's it possible your wife senses this contradicts her career choice?

I try really hard to not be

etc. but, I suppose that could be a problem

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/ErinMPrater/status/1744496009156141329

Wait, it doesn't evolve to become milder? Does not compute

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

NeonPunk posted:

i was assured this was impossible

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

i was assured it would kill off the vulnerable fast enough that the clinical severity would get lower over time

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

NeonPunk posted:

"We cannot ignore the evidence"

doubt.jpg

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Frosted Flake posted:

I think you nailed it in one. So, how can we do things better in the future?

e: I mean, we can talk to the therapist about the anxiety and how I react to, er whatever my reaction is, rather than the thread, but your insight connects pretty much everything I have posted ITT. I had not thought of all of the different parts of this as anxiety.

Empathy, love and understanding foremost. Beyond that take anything and everything with a grain of salt. Keep in mind I don't know you or your wife.

It is also difficult to do right now, as she is pretty distressed and going by your description of her condition, she is also very sick. In its immediacy you should probably not continue asking about testing, in an emotional sense and from her perspective, you become the source of the bad feeling. To protect you and her, you can possibly talk about things in generic disease terms and respond to the infection accordingly. This is going to be extremely difficult to do without activating the negative emotion, so you need to cover everything you do in love and concern.

Take care of her and a part of that is to minimize exposure to whatever she has, so you can continue to be the caretaker. You are not isolating her, you are giving her piece and quiet. You are monitoring her vitals, so you know when and what medicine to get. Etc. I don't think you can do more immediately.

As to the deeper issue, it is something you need to talk about. Dealing with the anxiety is going to be hard, because once you are out of the woods, I think you will need to talk about the pandemic directly. I don't know your dynamic, but I am not positive that is best done in couples counseling. Unless your counselor is insanely good at their own emotions, you can easily be in a situation where you become the source of unpleasant COVID related feelings in them, in which case it is completely pointless. If you think it is best however, do that.

At the core you need her to understand that when she gets mad at you for making her think about COVID, she isn't mad at you, but at the pandemic. You are not the cause of anxiety, COVID is. You are trying to keep you both safe.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's cool how pharmacies are so overloaded that when they put in the request for your medicine and the warehouse just doesn't fill the order, the pharmacist just doesn't call you to follow up and, presumably, thinks you'll call back if the medicine is really all that important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pingui posted:

you become the source of the bad feeling.

Thank you, sincerely.

I wonder if this is going to happen to more people as we live in a vibes based economy with a vibes based responses to a pandemic illness. People want covid to be over, obviously, and do you want to be the person in the room telling them it's not? By masking for example?