Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bel Shazar posted:

No, I believe you'll find that was called "Reconstruction"

Actually.

It's little a slavery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cheesus posted:

Constitutional amendment to change 3/5th compromise to 2/5th.

That's a more extreme stance against the South than Lincoln ever actually took

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

I know that it’s Trump and he just Says poo poo without even pretending to have thought behind it and follow l-up questions would be pointless,

But god dammit so want to know what he thinks the deal would be.

It is the same as his plan to end the Russia Ukraine invasion and war in 24 hours.

“May I SEE the plan?”

*….No.*

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

GlyphGryph posted:

That's a more extreme stance against the South than Lincoln ever actually took

That would actually be bad for the south. The south wanted slaves to be counted as full people to increase their representation in congress.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
... yes, that is why I said that?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GlyphGryph posted:

... yes, that is why I said that?

Seems like allowing slavery, but reducing the congressional representation of slaves by 20% is not as bad of an outcome for the south than the civil war.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Austin's elective surgery didn't NECESSARILY need to be embarrassing. An elective surgery can be something like, "I can walk fine, but my knee loving hurts all the time; give me surgery to make my knee not hurt." He's also a big dude and 70 years old so his doctor may have recommended bariatric surgery, if he was having complications from his obesity. Being that tall puts a lot of extra stress on your heart.

Of course, it'd be way more fun if it was cosmetic and embarrassing. I have faith in the House GOP to get to the bottom of this important issue.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wearing his thumbs down to nubs, one tweet at a time.
Oh gosh if he's tweeting that much I hope he's at least using a desktop. :(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Seems like allowing slavery, but reducing the congressional representation of slaves by 20% is not as bad of an outcome for the south than the civil war.

It is a worse deal than the one that convinced them to start the war, so they wouldn't have seen it that way. The south started the civil war specifically because they were worried that they no longer had the political power to forestall future attempts to limit slavery. Guaranteeing it was not going to somehow be seen as a positive alternative.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 8, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The U.S. Department of Labor is set to announce a new rule that requires gig economy workers to legally be considered employees - with all the required legal protections, tax requirements, and benefits - if they are "economically dependent" on the company providing the gig.

It will certainly face a legal challenge right away.

They will likely challenge based on the lack of a clear legal definition of what "economically dependent" means with regards to an employee.

https://twitter.com/ReutersWorld/status/1744474173273965027

quote:

Biden administration to unveil contractor rule set to upend gig economy

Jan 8 (Reuters) - The administration of U.S. President Joe Biden will release a final rule as soon as this week that will make it more difficult for companies to treat workers as independent contractors rather than employees that typically cost a company more, an administration official said.

The U.S. Department of Labor rule, which was first proposed in 2022 and is likely to face legal challenges, will require that workers be considered employees entitled to more benefits and legal protections than contractors when they are "economically dependent" on a company.

A range of industries will likely be affected by the rule, which will take effect later this year, but its potential impact on app-based services that rely heavily on contract workers has garnered the most attention. Shares of Uber Technologies Inc (UBER.N), Lyft Inc (LYFT.O) and DoorDash (DASH.O) all tumbled at least 10% when the draft rule was proposed in October 2022.

On Monday, shares of DoorDash were up 3.9%, Lyft rose 3.6% and Uber was up 2.2%.

The rule is among regulations with the most far-reaching impacts issued by the Labor Department office that enforces U.S. wage laws, according to Marc Freedman, vice president at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the largest U.S. business lobby. But he said the draft version of the rule provides little guidance to companies on where to draw the line between employees and contractors.

"Economic dependence is an elusive concept that in some cases may end up being defined by the eyes of the beholder," Freedman said.

The Labor Department in the proposed rule said it would consider factors such as a worker's "opportunity for profit or loss, investment, permanency, the degree of control by the employer over the worker, (and) whether the work is an integral part of the employer’s business."

The rule replaces a Trump administration regulation that said workers who own their own businesses or have the ability to work for competing companies, such as a driver who works for Uber and Lyft, can be treated as contractors.

The department's sharp break from the Trump-era regulation will likely be the focus of lawsuits challenging the new rule, legal experts have said. Federal law requires agencies to adequately explain their decision to withdraw and replace existing rules.

The Biden administration has said the Trump-era rule violated U.S. wage laws and was out of step with decades of federal court decisions, and worker advocates have said a more strict standard was necessary to combat the rampant misclassification of workers in some industries.

The left-leaning Economic Policy Institute in a report last year estimated that a truck driver treated as a contractor earns up to $18,000 less per year than one who is deemed an employee, while construction workers' earnings drop by nearly $17,000 and home health aides lose out on up to $9,500 in pay and benefits.

Business groups sharply criticized the draft rule after it was proposed. Any change in policy is expected to increase labor costs for many sectors including trucking, retail and manufacturing.

Most federal and state labor laws, such as those requiring a minimum wage and overtime pay, only apply to a company's employees, who studies suggest can cost companies up to 30% more than independent contractors.

Nearly 40% of U.S. workers, or more than 64 million people, did some freelance work in the past 12 months, according to a December survey by freelancing marketplace Upwork.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Those sound like pretty common tests in any determination of whether someone's an employee or contractor(unemployment insurance is the one I'm most familiar with). I guess the hard part is it's almost always a case-by-case thing

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Motherfucker typed north of 5k words on twitter. Holy poo poo.

Apparently he mentioned the whole thing involving his wife as a professor at MIT forcing her students to give her students the gift of orbs to a wealthy donor to her department, one Jeffrey Epstein.

Then he, unprompted, mentioned that his wife did not have a sexual relationship with an actor, who turned out to be Brad Pitt, in Ackman's own words.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

The U.S. Department of Labor is set to announce a new rule that requires gig economy workers to legally be considered employees - with all the required legal protections, tax requirements, and benefits - if they are "economically dependent" on the company providing the gig.

It will certainly face a legal challenge right away.

They will likely challenge based on the lack of a clear legal definition of what "economically dependent" means with regards to an employee.

https://twitter.com/ReutersWorld/status/1744474173273965027

I wonder if this will have effects outside of the Ubers and Lyfts, and to other "independent contractor in name only" jobs. Like strippers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ummel posted:

I wonder if this will have effects outside of the Ubers and Lyfts, and to other "independent contractor in name only" jobs. Like strippers.

One of the tests under the rule is if the business makes all or nearly all of their revenue from the contractors. I'm not sure about the economics of strip clubs, but it seems like if the dancers work there most days of the week or can't dance at other clubs, then it would.

I don't think that strippers traditionally work 4-5 days a week or are penalized for dancing other places/have an exclusivity rule, but maybe some do.

The biggest areas that would be impacted by the rule are app-based employers, the tech industry that has "perma-contract" employees, and 1099 sales jobs.

It will also do a number on employers like the WWE (even though WWE wrestlers aren't that many people in total) where the staff are all technically contract employees.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 9, 2024

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Since all the Republican candidates seem to be making weird civil war statements this week, Trump has decided to stay very on-brand and claims that he could have prevented the civil war if he was President at the time by making a deal with the south and that Lincoln made a huge mistake.

He also seems to imply that Lincoln started the civil war because he wanted to be remembered in the history books.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1744444127045951917

quote:

Trump said. “He would have been president, but he would have been president, and he wouldn’t have been the Abraham Lincoln. 
I know what he's trying to say. I can pick out the meaning if I run it through my dementia-blithering-to-English filter. It just amazes the poo poo out of me that they're attacking Biden as the old and demented one when there's, loving, this. Jumping Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, listen to him. Listen to his own words that he is using. This orange coated poo poo goblin is one sundowning mother fucker losing cognitive function by the day. It's right there! JUST LISTEN.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"Elective surgery," so not necessarily cosmetic, but it was not something medically necessary.

Elective surgeries are often medically necessary, just not an immediate emergency. Cancer treatments are elective surgeries, for example.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tiny Timbs posted:

Elective surgeries are often medically necessary, just not an immediate emergency. Cancer treatments are elective surgeries, for example.

Yes, but it was not a scenario where he had an unexpected emergency that was medically necessary. It wasn't some kind of sudden unplanned issue that would explain why he didn't tell anyone about it.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

The Secretary of Defense had elective surgery (days before Christmas???) and was hospitalized Jan 1 and the President didn't know about it til Jan 4th. The secretary of defense only transferred some of his authority to his deputy, who was out on vacation.

Absolute poo poo show and probably gonna blow up more as more comes out.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Yes, but it was not a scenario where he had an unexpected emergency that was medically necessary. It wasn't some kind of sudden unplanned issue that would explain why he didn't tell anyone about it.

I could see a scenario where a slot opened up for a very busy doctor that day and he figured he'd be out half a day or so. The prominent surgeons are booked solid for months and if you get offered a window on short notice due to a cancellation you take it. I know nothing about this situation so that's just a hypothetical generalization.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I could see a scenario where a slot opened up for a very busy doctor that day and he figured he'd be out half a day or so. The prominent surgeons are booked solid for months and if you get offered a window on short notice due to a cancellation you take it. I know nothing about this situation so that's just a hypothetical generalization.

He's a retired 4-star Army General. He gets all his treatment done at Walter Reed and wouldn't be shopping for prominent surgeons.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
He would of the buy the slaves, send them to Africa as a "compromise"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mooseontheloose posted:

Lincoln tried repeatedly to offer compensated emancipation as a way to encourage the border states to phase out slavery. He was rebuffed at pretty much every turn by them, and those were the states that didn't secede!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mooseontheloose posted:

This is unironically something Lincoln offered the South. Except he wanted to resettle them in the Caribbean/Haiti.

They ran a voluntary pilot program and sent 450 people there with free houses and land.

He also offered to just buy the freedom of all slaves in the south in several other different ways and the south rejected the offers every time.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Apparently he mentioned the whole thing involving his wife as a professor at MIT forcing her students to give her students the gift of orbs to a wealthy donor to her department, one Jeffrey Epstein.

I do not know if these words were supposed to be in some different order but I feel like I am having a stroke reading this and am having trouble processing the meaning.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mooseontheloose posted:

that reminds me, I need to finish the Behind the Bastardses on Liberia

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

He's a retired 4-star Army General. He gets all his treatment done at Walter Reed and wouldn't be shopping for prominent surgeons.

Ah well disregard my conjecture then.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

While it is true he is eligible to get his care at DoD facilities, he does not have to. He can use his TriCare insurance as well as pay cash in the community and get care from any doc who will accept TriCare, or his cash.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's a complete fantasy that you could have 'negotiated' a way out of Civil War. Civil War was baked into the Constitution from day one, and even back then the Founders knew it. Prior to the Civil War, there were decades of violence due to various failed political attempts to preserve a country that had both slave and free states. It was absolutely never going to work. The South was also never going to agree to free the slaves, even if they were compensated, because the entire Southern economy was based on involuntary labor.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Zwabu posted:

While it is true he is eligible to get his care at DoD facilities, he does not have to. He can use his TriCare insurance as well as pay cash in the community and get care from any doc who will accept TriCare, or his cash.

Also the VA contracts all kinds of things related to elective procedures.

Like rotator cuff repairs to ortho.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Morrow posted:

Many of them don't have real interactions, in person, with someone who isn't also a billionaire or dependent on them for status/income. So the novelty of getting told to screw themselves by some random person is thrilling.

Ackman is something of an anomaly, having spent his entire adult life marinating in the factual proof of "no bad publicity", "sucker born every minute", "Market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent" PT Barnum greatest hits but then nevertheless insisted on losing billions betting against the obvious pyramid scam Herbalife, I don't think he's ever gotten over it

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Since all the Republican candidates seem to be making weird civil war statements this week, Trump has decided to stay very on-brand and claims that he could have prevented the civil war if he was President at the time by making a deal with the south and that Lincoln made a huge mistake.

He also seems to imply that Lincoln started the civil war because he wanted to be remembered in the history books.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1744444127045951917

saying "I coulda made a deal with the south" instead of "I coulda made a deal with the north" may actually be a fatal error for him. Signal boost this quote to as many chuds as you possibly can, he admits he's one of them

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

No matter the medical circumstances there is no possible situation where the SecDef being incapacitated for any length of time should not notify the national security council/president. None. He is part of the nuclear response chain for one but regardless he is still the secretary of defense at a time with a lot of poo poo going on in the world. It's just not acceptable regardless of how it went down.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's a complete fantasy that you could have 'negotiated' a way out of Civil War. Civil War was baked into the Constitution from day one, and even back then the Founders knew it. Prior to the Civil War, there were decades of violence due to various failed political attempts to preserve a country that had both slave and free states. It was absolutely never going to work. The South was also never going to agree to free the slaves, even if they were compensated, because the entire Southern economy was based on involuntary labor.

I recently had a discussion with my dad about his belief Lincoln is one of the few great men of history, because of the theory that only Lincoln (due to his frontier upbringing) was willing to spill the blood off hundreds of thousands to preserve the union instead of working out some sort of EU style multinational compromise with the South once they actually seceded .I don't think he's right but it's an interesting counter factual to think about

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

From what I understand, Lincoln would have done some kind of deal if it would have kept the union together, but by the time he got into office that ship had sailed. He did not enter office intending to free the slaves and was not anything close to a hardcore abolitionist at the time.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Lincoln and the North didn’t start the civil war though, the South did. The South could’ve stood pat and it’s incredibly unlikely that the North would’ve had the political capital to ban slavery in the short or even medium term, and even less likely they would’ve formed armies to go enforce it. You probably would’ve eventually seen a wind down of slavery but probably not during Lincoln’s Presidency at least. The Civil War was one of the biggest self-owns in history.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

I recently had a discussion with my dad about his belief Lincoln is one of the few great men of history, because of the theory that only Lincoln (due to his frontier upbringing) was willing to spill the blood off hundreds of thousands to preserve the union instead of working out some sort of EU style multinational compromise with the South once they actually seceded .I don't think he's right but it's an interesting counter factual to think about

Once the South seceded, war was inevitable. Preserving the Union wasn't just about bringing the Southern states back into the fold, it was about asserting the principle that the people who lose an election still have to abide by the laws passed by the people who won the election. If the secessionists had been allowed to simply back out of the Union because they didn't like the result of an election, then the Union as a whole would have been on a road to inevitable collapse. Because every election is going to have a loser, and the democracy club can't function if the losers immediately quit the club to spite the winners.

There were plenty of politicians (mostly Southerners and Southern-sympathizers) who advocated offering generous deals to prevent secession, but once the states did secede, the federal government couldn't leave them be.

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

Panzeh posted:

So, there was talking in the runup to the war of something called the Crittendon Compromise.

Trump has absolutely no idea what the Crittenden Compromise was, who John Crittenden was, etc. He knows a few key words, one of them being “negotiations”, and just talks word salad around those words while his weird cult followers eat it up. There’s zero substance, somehow negative substance in whatever that poo poo was Trump said.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The South was run by a bunch of reactionaries absolutely convinced that the Feds were two days away from implementing tyranny that would make Napoleon blush in order to free their slaves and probably arm them to do a Haiti on the whites. Trump isn't actually wrong per se that there was a possibility of a negotiated solution to the issue of slavery, it's just that it would have had to be the South that changed what they were asking for and expecting, not the North. They could have taken any of a number of offers for compensated manumission or other solutions that didn't involve shots fired and which were far too generous, but idiot reactionaries aren't known for accepting favorable compromises because they think they deserve to be dictating terms.

Northerners had little desire to kill and die for the sake of the slaves, but to preserve the Union against secessionist traitors? Yeah, then you've got everyone from farmboys in Iowa to Irish kids from Boston and New York fully united in believing that they needed to get their poo poo pushed in.

They only avoided the total catastrophe their actions, morals, and ultimate defeat warranted because the North didn't go ham on them and didn't enforce Reconstruction for the decades it would have taken. More evidence of how dumb the war was from their perspective; after they fought it and lost they were still entirely able to maintain their status and wealth as a class and find plenty of new ways to get cheap labor and keep blacks oppressed. Imagine the settlement they could have gotten themselves if they'd sat down for serious discussion instead of getting loving wrecked.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ms Adequate posted:

Northerners had little desire to kill and die for the sake of the slaves, but to preserve the Union against secessionist traitors? Yeah, then you've got everyone from farmboys in Iowa to Irish kids from Boston and New York fully united in believing that they needed to get their poo poo pushed in.

Yep, it was on this kind of language that Lincoln managed to get the war effort rolling. Even if Lincoln had wanted to push for emancipation in 1860(which he absolutely did not), there was a precisely zero percent chance he could have used it as a rallying cry for war because at that point most of the north would not have supported it. Keeping the Union intact with force of arms was palatable to almost everyone, even people who had sympathies to the south but were opposed to disunion, especially the crucially important border states.

Emancipation got increasingly popular as time went on because even northerners who were neutral on the issue of slavery or disliked black people personally recognized that an official policy of emancipation was enormously damaging to the south, both militarily(every slave freed is one less slave working in southern farms/factories or doing logistics work for their armies) and diplomatically(the hostility of Britain to slavery was a primary reason for why Britain remained neutral for most of the war, alongside Britain not wanting to set an international precedent regarding breaking blockades), but the original premise of the war was 100% about strangling the concept of secession in the crib.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

tigersklaw posted:

Trump has absolutely no idea what the Crittenden Compromise was, who John Crittenden was, etc. He knows a few key words, one of them being “negotiations”, and just talks word salad around those words while his weird cult followers eat it up. There’s zero substance, somehow negative substance in whatever that poo poo was Trump said.

Sounds to me like that’s exactly what he was talking about :

quote:

“That would have been OK; it would have been a thing—I know it very well, I know the whole process that they went through and they just couldn’t get along and that would have been something they could have negotiated and they wouldn’t have had that problem,” he continued.

Before the Southern states seceded, there had been attempts to negotiate peace, including the Crittenden Compromise, which would have allowed slavery to continue to be practiced in the South. The proposal had supporters but died in committee after it was rejected by Republican US senators, including Iowa’s James Grimes.

The man graduated from an Ivy League university, obviously he is aware of basic American history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Top G posted:

The man graduated from an Ivy League university, obviously he is aware of basic American history.

He very clearly thought it was the most interesting thing in the world that the Republican party were the ones that freed the slaves, and brought it up every time he could like he was bringing fire down to humans. Dude has a rural white kid in Mississippi's understanding of the War of Northern Aggression.

He went to rich people networking place, he didn't actually study poo poo.