Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

priznat posted:

It’s good but looks small, like Mazda 5 size. Which is great for a lot of people but I would rather have something odyssey/sienna/carnival sized.

The us version is a 3 row so it's big

Wish there was something like Honda element ev sigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

The us version is a 3 row so it's big

Wish there was something like Honda element ev sigh

Oh really? I saw Doug Dumuro do a walkthrough and it must have been the euro spec one. I’ll definitely check it out if so.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It’s about 10 inches shorter than the Pacifica or Odyssey even for the three row, which is 195” long.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

It's dark right now so I can't get good pictures, but I'll post some maybe tomorrow if I have time for a photoshoot.

Anything in particular you want to see?

Whatever you're happy to show off, I suppose. I think it's the first one in the thread and I can pretend it's going to be close to what an EV Carnival is going to end up as.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s about 10 inches shorter than the Pacifica or Odyssey even for the three row, which is 195” long.

Still a lot longer than a Mazda5 though.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yes sure, but most of that length difference is just wasted on the bonnet. The usable interior dimensions are pretty much equal.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Sounds like Honda is making some sort of EV announcement at CES today, 1:30 Eastern Time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdfi_zkQDQ

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

borkencode posted:

Sounds like Honda is making some sort of EV announcement at CES today, 1:30 Eastern Time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdfi_zkQDQ

That thumbnail shot looks pretty cyberpunk. Is this the new era of wedge shaped cars?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm the guy taking a video of their screen saver

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Element ev element ev element ev

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

borkencode posted:

Cool, 2 concept mock ups for some line of ev's slated for "late 2020's".

Just update, ramp up production, and bring that adorable Honda E to the US. Is that so hard, honda?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Is there such a thing as an EVSE that turns into a V2L adapter during a power outage? I have a charger, and I have a V2L adapter and a bunch of extension cables, but it feels like it should be possible for those two things to be the same

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Talorat posted:

Is there such a thing as an EVSE that turns into a V2L adapter during a power outage? I have a charger, and I have a V2L adapter and a bunch of extension cables, but it feels like it should be possible for those two things to be the same

Only the one that comes with the Ford Lightning, for now. It's been promised so often, especially with Chademo, but nobody's adopted any of the standards yet. I really believe that in a few years, it will be the new normal.

edit: The Lightning uses Bluetooth to communicate with the EVSE, and if you don't park in the right orientation / close enough, the antenna doesn't reach :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAC-e0o45zg

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Talorat posted:

I posted about a demo done by Wallbox back in September; they seem pretty serious about it, they're on the second iteration of the EVSE to support it (Quasar 2) over a CCS connection and it looks like most of the engineering/code challenges are figured out plus the new one looks really slick with fast response times to switch between car and grid automatically.

Afaik it's available in the EU already and they announced it'll roll out in California starting early this year for people who own Kias, I guess. Emporia is also supposed to have a similar model coming out this year. Both of these companies tend to actually deliver on their crazy ideas so it's probably going to be A Thing now.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Element ev element ev element ev

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Nfcknblvbl posted:

That thumbnail shot looks pretty cyberpunk. Is this the new era of wedge shaped cars?

At least we're finally getting some proper future-looking cars

.....is what I would say if I thought the production model was going to look anywhere close to that

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Cool, 2 concept mock ups for some line of ev's slated for "late 2020's".

Just update, ramp up production, and bring that adorable Honda E to the US. Is that so hard, honda?

People hate the E on a global basis and it’s going away

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

OldSenileGuy posted:

At least we're finally getting some proper future-looking cars

.....is what I would say if I thought the production model was going to look anywhere close to that

The production version was also leaked:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

People hate the E on a global basis and it’s going away

People have poor taste.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

People have poor taste.

It's overpriced for the specs. It's adorable but that doesn't cut it these days.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

People have poor taste.

Oh cool a Dodge

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007
Was really impressed with the polestar 2 I test drove this morning in NYC before a huge rain storm rolled in, was a midnight blue 2024 dual motor w/ pilot and plus packs which is the config we would want (or in thunder grey). Handled great on city streets and the small bit of highway we took it out on, and the one pedal mode was super easy to get used to. 99% sure we will be getting one before the end of January.

Now I just need to get rid of our old as hell Elantra and start the lease process.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It's overpriced for the specs. It's adorable but that doesn't cut it these days.

People are idiots, a small, premium car with 150~ range is exactly what the market needs but people are insistant that the absolutely must have have 300 miles of range to make the road trip that they don't make and have no plans to make.

I'm constantly amazed at how often people ask me about "roadtrips", honey, neither of us takes roadtrips, I'm not even sure that you can tell me the last time you flew economy was but I am sure you have a harrowing tale about it.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 10, 2024

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Three Olives posted:

People are idiots, a small, premium car with 150~ range is exactly what the market needs but people are insistant that the absolutely must have have 300 miles of range to make the road trip that they don't make and have no plans to make.

I'm constantly amazed at how often people ask me about "roadtrips", honey, neither of us takes roadtrips, I'm not even sure that you can tell me the last time you flew economy was but I am sure you have a harrowing tale about it.

The E didn't sell well in a market where EVs with 150 miles of range are common, and it had to compete with a very high sticker price.

I'm pretty sure the 500e and electric Mini are coming to NA somewhat soon.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
guys I got an e-rabbit after my jetta got rear-ended and the range is just fine and even has dc fast charging!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

People have poor taste.

why is car design generally so boring now

i wish for a return to the 1980s car design
if i can't get that, lets go to 2500 car design

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
all suvs now are like a template that slightly modified by model/brand and a badge added lol

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Ioniq 5 look really different imo, as does the Ioniq 6. The ID buzz looks pretty great. Cars are looking more interesting than they have looked in the previous 10 years thanks to EVs. Once the US stops being stupid about China cars and once Japan starts catching up I think we’ll see really cool cars stateside. It’s weird time to be complaining about boring cars.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The E didn't sell well in a market where EVs with 150 miles of range are common, and it had to compete with a very high sticker price.

They sure talk about the Electric MIni at the dealership near my house

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Vegetable posted:

The Ioniq 5 look really different imo, as does the Ioniq 6. The ID buzz looks pretty great. Cars are looking more interesting than they have looked in the previous 10 years thanks to EVs. Once the US stops being stupid about China cars and once Japan starts catching up I think we’ll see really cool cars stateside. It’s weird time to be complaining about boring cars.

Features like steer by wire and innovate placement of battery elements should lead to some departures from conventional designs once companies start building EVs from the ground up rather than retrofitting motors and batteries into traditional frames. We’ll probably also see new classes of vehicles as autonomous operation becomes more viable and we realize that services like home delivery of food and goods don’t require 4000lb vehicles.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Civil posted:

Features like steer by wire and innovate placement of battery elements should lead to some departures from conventional designs once companies start building EVs from the ground up rather than retrofitting motors and batteries into traditional frames. We’ll probably also see new classes of vehicles as autonomous operation becomes more viable and we realize that services like home delivery of food and goods don’t require 4000lb vehicles.
Revenge of the Milk Float

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AtomicSX posted:

Was really impressed with the polestar 2 I test drove this morning in NYC before a huge rain storm rolled in, was a midnight blue 2024 dual motor w/ pilot and plus packs which is the config we would want (or in thunder grey). Handled great on city streets and the small bit of highway we took it out on, and the one pedal mode was super easy to get used to. 99% sure we will be getting one before the end of January.

Now I just need to get rid of our old as hell Elantra and start the lease process.

AWD with Pilot and Plus is what I got too, I've been very satisfied with those choices. I just didn't like the feel of the Performance pack, the base model with AWD feels plenty "performant" to me

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Thunder grey heck yeah

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

People have poor taste.

Well this is the AI subforum.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Oh man, on our local FB page there was a bit of anti-EV dogpiling and one guy said EVs suck because they have crap range that means "you cant drive between cities"

The distance to the closest city for him or me - 2,700km (Perth to Adelaide)

The number of times in the 40 years i have lived here that I've made or even contemplated that trip - 0

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 10, 2024

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

ROFLBOT posted:

Oh man, on our local FB page there was a bit of anti-EV dogpiling and one guy said EVs suck because they have crap range that means "you cant drive between cities"

The distance to the closest city for him or me - 2,700km (Perth to Adelaide)

The number of times in the 40 years i have lived here that I've made or even contemplated that trip - 0

A 2023 AWD ID.4 (pretty middle of the pack car, range-wise) can make the trip from Perth to Adelaide, with three driving segments limited to 90 km/h, so I'd imagine something longer legged like a RWD LR Model 3 or Ioniq 6 could handle it with no restrictions.

So he's not even correct.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

why is car design generally so boring now

i wish for a return to the 1980s car design
if i can't get that, lets go to 2500 car design

If we haven’t gotten rid of cars by 2500, the planet won’t be here either.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The toyota/subaru solterra I rented from avis was a piece of poo poo but reading on that car one of the options is solar panels for recharging so you can maybe do that trip as it is sunny in australia.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Elviscat posted:

A 2023 AWD ID.4 (pretty middle of the pack car, range-wise) can make the trip from Perth to Adelaide, with three driving segments limited to 90 km/h, so I'd imagine something longer legged like a RWD LR Model 3 or Ioniq 6 could handle it with no restrictions.

So he's not even correct.

Oh you can absolutely do it nowadays there are enough charging points along the Nullarbor, i'm assuming he meant on a single charge which is a hilariously stupid bar to set when there isn't an ICE car alive that could do that trip on a single tank of fuel either

And that's quite apart from the question of why you would base any car purchasing decision on wanting to spend 2 days driving to Adelaide in the first place :)

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 10, 2024

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Is the electric Mini not already here? I definitely saw one the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

If we haven’t gotten rid of cars by 2500, the planet won’t be here either.

The planet will absolutely be here. What condition it’s in and how people are doing is another matter.