Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Noxville posted:

I feel like ‘should the wrongly convicted have their convictions overturned’ should be the easiest question in the world to answer, especially for a ‘former human rights lawyer’ but maybe that’s why I’m not the leader of the Labour Party.

https://x.com/saulstaniforth/status/1744312307188891936?s=46&t=lz1DjwUk2vgFTdWPPaLwfA

This oval office would means test bears for their right to poo poo in woods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
there were likely many videos taken by maxwell/epstein of a bunch of rich and powerful folk noncing kids- it was a honeypot blackmail operation to facilitate the crimes of, then extort rich and powerful folk noncing kids, they kinda need evidence for that to work

no way in gently caress will anyone of consequences face any consequences

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is that Dyson prick on the flight logs?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

WhatEvil posted:

As somebody who suffers from extreme anxiety I have to say it's a bit disappointing that the thread seems to be going off on one about what an arsehole this guy is, based on not very much.

I don’t think the guy’s an arsehole, I just think Sanford needs to be careful: if he’s gone to HR about something relatively innocuous, there’s no guarantee it won’t happen again and Sanford needs to be sure that if there is a next time, he’s got something to back up his side of the argument

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Noxville posted:

I feel like ‘should the wrongly convicted have their convictions overturned’ should be the easiest question in the world to answer, especially for a ‘former human rights lawyer’ but maybe that’s why I’m not the leader of the Labour Party.

https://x.com/saulstaniforth/status/1744312307188891936?s=46&t=lz1DjwUk2vgFTdWPPaLwfA

The level of injustice in question, the loving look on his face there and the swollen muddy, presumably poo poo infested river behind, how do you not just instinctively launch the little oval office?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Clearly the only solution to this football coverage dispute is to bring back David Icke.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

keep punching joe posted:

Is that Dyson prick on the flight logs?

Just the normal right to privacy you have when there’s evidence of you abusing children.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

mossyfisk posted:

Clearly the only solution to this football coverage dispute is to bring back David Icke.

A great goal there by Ollie Watkins, you can tell he hasn't been injected with marker genes by the ascendant lizard cabal

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Albinator posted:

Turns out the person who said there were tapes later said she'd been making it up so the headline is kind of clickbaity.

Two plus hours of happiness from that headline, i'll take what i can get. :shrug:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The fact remains he did have his mansion and island wired up with hidden cctv cameras in every room, so I'm pretty certain those tapes do exist but probably sit in a vault in Tel Aviv.

e: oops, forgot what I came here to post: https://twitter.com/GBNewsSpin/status/1744462911983046812

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 8, 2024

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

thats a hell of a lemon party

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Noxville posted:

You know, maybe the olds dislike of Labour comes from being the only ones still watching broadcast TV and seeing the idiot actually speak regularly.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

As somebody who suffers from extreme anxiety I have to say it's a bit disappointing that the thread seems to be going off on one about what an arsehole this guy is, based on not very much.

Obviously this is causing some hardship for Sanford and that's not good but I can certainly believe that if the shoe was on the other foot and somebody was in here saying they suffer from anxiety and have been having difficulty at work and they went in and some guy made a snarky comment and laughed at them* then the thread would be telling them they should report that person to the bosses and maybe try to find a way to leave the company and if possible get a nice little payout out of it.

*I'm not saying that Sanford did anything wrong here BUT as an anxiety sufferer, if he's having a bad day, it can be difficult to not take things like this personally even if Sanford didn't mean anything by it (which, to be very clear, I do believe).

Honestly it's all a bit close to Tory benefit/work assessment bullshit. Particularly like "What he's got anxiety that means he can't work, but he can go straight to the bosses and report this?!" or whatever. Probably just start at a default of believing that people who suffer from mental health problems aren't lying about it.

agreed, while I doubt it was a malicious statement it wasn't a good thing to say to someone with severe MH issues

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I'm sure Sanford didn't mean anything by it, but I also can understand if the guy thought it was worth raising with management.

To be clear the "made a snarky comment and laughed at them" part of my post was how it could easily have been seen by the other person, through the lens of anxiety, and not me saying that I thought Sanford had said what they said maliciously or done anything wrong beyond perhaps not being quite guarded enough. I do have sympathy for Sanford and I know from literally everything I've seen them post ITT that they're a good, well-meaning person.

My issue was more that some in the thread seemed to be implying the anxiety sufferer was taking the piss in some way by not being able to work or reporting the interaction etc. when it's likely they're just having a really hard time.

Anxiety fucks with you. It's difficult to accurately judge the intent of others when you're already panicked and in a work (or other) situation that you're finding stressful, for whatever reason.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I feel like there might be some practical challenges to blackmailing people with images of child sexual abuse you filmed on your property and then decided not to release to the police until years afterwards, abuse performed by someone who can easily reveal your involvement if for some reason they feel like they no longer have anything to lose, but admittedly I do not spend a lot of time thinking through this kind of thing

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Angepain posted:

I feel like there might be some practical challenges to blackmailing people with images of child sexual abuse you filmed on your property and then decided not to release to the police until years afterwards, abuse performed by someone who can easily reveal your involvement if for some reason they feel like they no longer have anything to lose, but admittedly I do not spend a lot of time thinking through this kind of thing

Being dead will probably help him avoid further repercussions?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Being dead will probably help him avoid further repercussions?

*clap* NONCE *clap* ISLAND *clap* CADAVER *clap* SYNOD

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

WhatEvil posted:

I'm sure Sanford didn't mean anything by it, but I also can understand if the guy thought it was worth raising with management.

Have a lot of empathy with Sanford as have been in a similar situation managing someone who was clearly very unwell, doing very little work as well as a lot of damage to others wellbeing, while not having much power to do anything about that save to offer more time off.

Unless you're a mental health pro, and even if you are, you simply can't be expected to say the right thing every time. Some days I did a lot better than others, but it was exhausting.

This is in the right place now, it simply had to go up the ladder. It's been Sanford's to deal with for far too long already. Our lot eventually funded a counsellor before in the end the staff member cut ties.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

The fact remains he did have his mansion and island wired up with hidden cctv cameras in every room, so I'm pretty certain those tapes do exist but probably sit in a vault in Tel Aviv.

e: oops, forgot what I came here to post: https://twitter.com/GBNewsSpin/status/1744462911983046812

that's actually JRM's true form

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

As much as I love to laugh at GBNews, it's quite a terrifying platform

https://twitter.com/GBNewsSpin/status/1744478824958402615

The Tories are imploding and will be unelectable for a generation or more, so there's a vacuum of voters who can never vote for Labour, even if it's headed by a Tory and has Tory policies. Plus this vacuum of ignorant gammon cunts want to be even more harsher towards minorities and the vulnerable than Labour are willing to go. Keith is expecting a landslide victory, but I have to remind everyone the power of the media vs the stupidity of the nation. Look at Brexit/voting reform/GE2019 etc.

I can see Rishi hanging on until the November deadline. A lot can happen in that time.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

fuctifino posted:

As much as I love to laugh at GBNews, it's quite a terrifying platform

https://twitter.com/GBNewsSpin/status/1744478824958402615

The Tories are imploding and will be unelectable for a generation or more, so there's a vacuum of voters who can never vote for Labour, even if it's headed by a Tory and has Tory policies. Plus this vacuum of ignorant gammon cunts want to be even more harsher towards minorities and the vulnerable than Labour are willing to go. Keith is expecting a landslide victory, but I have to remind everyone the power of the media vs the stupidity of the nation. Look at Brexit/voting reform/GE2019 etc.

I can see Rishi hanging on until the November deadline. A lot can happen in that time.

I keep seeing this "Tories will be unelectable for a generation or more" thing crop up every now and then and.. when? How? Why? Since 2010 they've just gotten a a new leader in when they're unlikable and people, most egregiously the media, seem to forget that it's the exact same people as the last government and give them a blank slate.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Angepain posted:

I suppose if you're a child abusing perv your line of thought doesn't go further than "oh gently caress I'll be in the poo poo if the press gets hold of that" and the only thing your blackmailer has to be careful of is not pushing you far enough that you're willing to burn your whole life down.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Miftan posted:

I keep seeing this "Tories will be unelectable for a generation or more" thing crop up every now and then and.. when? How? Why? Since 2010 they've just gotten a a new leader in when they're unlikable and people, most egregiously the media, seem to forget that it's the exact same people as the last government and give them a blank slate.

I think the expectation is that if they get a truly cataclysmic result in the GE they'll be shattered as a political party because almost a decade and a half of awful policies will have finally come home to roost and left them irretrievably tainted by both a terrible track record and being proven losers of the highest order. I think that's optimistic personally (It's not like all the money behind the tories is going to go anywhere) but I can see the logic if you're expecting they'll get electorally wiped out, like no joking down to double-digit numbers of MPs.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ms Adequate posted:

I think the expectation is that if they get a truly cataclysmic result in the GE they'll be shattered as a political party because almost a decade and a half of awful policies will have finally come home to roost and left them irretrievably tainted by both a terrible track record and being proven losers of the highest order. I think that's optimistic personally (It's not like all the money behind the tories is going to go anywhere) but I can see the logic if you're expecting they'll get electorally wiped out, like no joking down to double-digit numbers of MPs.

The great hope is that Labour slightly improve things*, and a whole generation who remember nothing but Tory rule come to realise that the government can actually make things better, instead of literally doing everything they can to make things worse for all but the very richest.

*I am not convinced this will happen

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I do truly believe Labour will be better at convincing people that increasing hardship is regrettably necessary

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
My personal hope is that Starmer is enough of a windsock to bow to public pressure.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Regarding the colleague potentially having anxiety issues, that is an angle I hadn't considered. I suppose I would have assumed that that's something it would be easier to be understanding if you knew in advance that someone has, while someone who has it would likely not want to just openly disclose that.

That said, the situation Sanford was in, telling the boss he was swamped with work, and then not actually getting relief coverage, was objectively lovely. If the boss knew the relief hire wasn't covering the slack then he should have hired in an additional person.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Tories as being over as a party is that the 90s repeats, where the party tore itself apart over Europe and then locked in Labour for 13 years. They then only got in by shutting the gently caress up about Europe, relying on a world-shattering financial crisis to hamstring Labour, and then not even getting in outright and using the piss diamonds to take the reins.

They then almost immediately started banging on about Europe in order to distract people from the financial ruin they were causing with austerity (which sure didn't feel like austerity to their mates and donors) and won an election outright on Europe, then did their referendum on Europe, and have now catastrophically damaged the economy both over Brexit and letting the world's least intelligent goldendoodle be Prime Minister for 8 weeks and then replaced her with a tiny Indian man which has infuriated both the Boris populists (the Betrayer!) and the arch-tories (he's brown).

The populists of course are what brought the party victory in 2015 and 2019 (May hosed it in 2017 by not appealing to their idiotic concerns) and those people are more instinctively aligned with Farage and similar dickheads. So Tice et al are an existential threat to the tories as they are now bleeding their support three ways - morons to Starmerist Labour, freaks to the piss diamonds, and populist morons to Reform UK or whatever stupid name they have this time.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesseraction posted:

letting the world's least intelligent goldendoodle be Prime Minister for 8 weeks

Legit didn't know if this was Boris or Truss until I read the last part of that sentence.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

escapegoat posted:

My personal hope is that Starmer is enough of a windsock to bow to public pressure.

There are stats that say that Millennials and below are not turning right in anywhere the numbers the previous generations did. (Boomers went right a lot harder than any other generation). There is a hope that the Torys get destroyed enough that they are out for two election cycles, and after ten years the voting makeup will have changed.

escapegoat posted:

There is also this - as we've gone on, Cameron's centralist party has been replaced by right wingers - there is a good chance that public and backbench pressure could shift Starmer more and more left as things go on.

Of course. Trying to predict politics is a mugs game.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It can be both!

I'm waiting for the fracture between the "the birthrate of native indigenous proper (look I'm not a racist don't make me say the race words) Britons is too low" Tories and the "look I'm not paying anyone anything, cut the taxes on my 50 houses again" Tories to kick in, since that looks like the upcoming and most hilarious fight.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

Legit didn't know if this was Boris or Truss until I read the last part of that sentence.

Boris is more of an Old English Sheepdog with a bad bleachjob.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Regarding the colleague potentially having anxiety issues, that is an angle I hadn't considered.

He states this is the case in the initial post he made regarding the whole situation. Its what everyone was talking about.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He states this is the case in the initial post he made regarding the whole situation. Its what everyone was talking about.

Yeah, reading back on it now I completely missed that line. That's on me.

The boss not hiring a second helper is on him though.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I spoke to him briefly this morning and said sorry if you thought I was getting at you, I’m just exasperated with the amount of work I’ve got on. He said “we all say stupid things without thinking but APOLOGY ACCEPTED” so I am trying to avoid my thinking moving to a position of “gently caress this guy.” When he asked for leave for the entirety of March and half of April ‘to get himself sorted out’ I was right there telling the boss that was a small investment to keep hold of a good person, and I covered all his poo poo without complaint. Multiple times in the last year I’ve got a message around 7am advising I need to be 100 miles away by 9 to keep one of his appointments, multiple other times I’ve got a call from customers saying their new client manager is “unavailable” and can I support them instead. I know this is on me but there are multiple, multiple times I’ve covered for him with clients and colleagues, and I’ve always supported him when the boss has asked if we should just look to get someone else. Thinking about it, the amount of times he’s thrown stuff to me when he’s off, I bet the office thought he was WFH when he was using me to cover anything urgent.

Just to address the “ we should have got someone else” yes I totally agree, but the role includes understanding our software, the applicable legislation, and handling recently-bereaved individuals and the charities that want their slice of the estate. I’ve said enough times in here it’s not a hard job, but it’s not one anyone could pick up at a moments notice. Balancing that “I know everyone is rightly upset but we’ve got to get this sorted” is not the easiest thing and certainly not an attractive role for many people. When he’s around he’s good at the job and handles people well, and I have totally been his strongest supporter, word and deed, when it comes to helping him get through it rather than replacing him. But lord am I tired of this.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
gently caress that guy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

It's hopeless optimism. Kieth will ensure a Tory comeback in at very most 10 years

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

forkboy84 posted:

It's hopeless optimism. Kieth will ensure a Tory comeback in at very most 10 years

100%. We will see exactly the same poo poo happen here as in the US. One term of a poo poo left wing government overseen by someone wholly unfit for the challenges the country faces followed by super-fascism making a spectacular comeback.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Failed Imagineer posted:

gently caress that guy

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

[quote="Tesseraction" post="537043122"]
They then almost immediately started banging on about Europe in order to distract people from the financial ruin they were causing with austerity (which sure didn't feel like austerity to their mates and donors) [/q]

Well, it wouldn't. From 2010 to 2015 the total wealth of the rich in Britain increased by an amount almost exactly the same as the amount cut from public spending in the same time. The money hasn't stopped existing for public spending, the Tories just stole it. The more recent PPE scandal only made the theft too obvious to hide, which is why Michelle Mone is being thrown to the wolves.