Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Altar was the best season so you guys are in for a treat. I played season 25 and don't remember any of the mechanics, so it's like new again. :v: I am a bit surprised at some of the balance changes but any shake up at this point is good.

D3 is still my favorite Diablo. I'm hoping eventually they get D4 to a better state but I don't mind playing this instead for a week or two 3-4 times per year. It's always fun despite doing it 100 times already. It's really funny to me because I generally don't replay games much but it just hits for me every time.

Cozy like a warm blanket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'll play this until d4 season 3 comes then play that.

Maybe D2R will spit out something spicy in Feb to play that then.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bamhand posted:

Is that back cosmetic new?

e: Seems like I have it already.

Man aside from the controller support, D3 feels so much smoother to play than D4. Just one continuous dopamine experience for 1-2 weeks. D4 is so many tedious road blocks mixed with a couple bits of fun.

Does D3 have bad controller support? Reading these patch notes make me feel like I might want to play this season but I also kind of just want to make my Diablos a chill controller game going forward because I inevitably put in way too many hours and end up with sore tendons

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

IcePhoenix posted:

Does D3 have bad controller support? Reading these patch notes make me feel like I might want to play this season but I also kind of just want to make my Diablos a chill controller game going forward because I inevitably put in way too many hours and end up with sore tendons

Zero controller support on PC, sadly. Console version does though.

If you're good at mapping you can probably do that. Aiming might get wonky.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nope. There are console versions that do though. It's kind of baffling they never added it to PC when it exists in the other versions. The console UI is completely different and much harder to use vs. kbm. I guess if it wasn't designed with it in mind (switching back and forth between kbm and only having a separate totally different controller UI)then maybe it makes a bit more sense. The others all have the PC UI which is pretty awful with a controller IME.

People on steam deck emulate the switch version.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ah that sucks. Weird that they didn't bother but I guess it's probably a skeleton crew now.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I bought Diablo 4 on sale over the holidays, but it's been pretty boring, even though I haven't beaten it yet. Made me miss D3, fortunately looks like season 30 is starting soon, perfect timing

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

biceps crimes posted:

I bought Diablo 4 on sale over the holidays, but it's been pretty boring, even though I haven't beaten it yet. Made me miss D3, fortunately looks like season 30 is starting soon, perfect timing

Yeah I played it quite a bit on launch (most of that was the story, though, which to be fair was excellent) and then a lot in season 2 but it still needs a lot of love to get on diablo 3s level for me, outside of a few things

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The only things that could make Season 30 better would be bringing back the Super Weapons, 4th Cube Slot, and Free RORG Effect. Would adding those to the Super Gems be waaaay too overpowered? Yes. But would it be fun as Hell? Also yes.

Suburban Dad posted:

D3 is still my favorite Diablo. I'm hoping eventually they get D4 to a better state but I don't mind playing this instead for a week or two 3-4 times per year. It's always fun despite doing it 100 times already. It's really funny to me because I generally don't replay games much but it just hits for me every time.

Cozy like a warm blanket.

They've really hit a sweet spot on Seasons for this game. Every time I start thinking about wanting to play D3 again, a new Season starts not long after.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

They've really hit a sweet spot on Seasons for this game. Every time I start thinking about wanting to play D3 again, a new Season starts not long after.

So many extremely hard learned lessons in D3 that seemingly just got ignored entirely by the D4 team.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Yeah, the little(now littler) power boosts were great, but the stuff like pets vacuuming sub-legendary drops is just wonderful and I missed it real bad with the new portal thingos.

I'm super down for this season & I am excited to gently caress around with Monk (never starting anything else again).

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Marauder nerfs, boo. That aside, I might have to hit up Season 30 too. Haven't played D3 since the shrine season and it may well be time again. Might go monk as well, since they buffed Uliana a little.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dameius posted:

So many extremely hard learned lessons in D3 that seemingly just got ignored entirely by the D4 team.

It's like they only got feedback from hardcore Diablo 2 players before the game came out or something, or only listened to them. Kind of funny everybody slowly realizing D3 did a lot of things right, though maybe not initially.

Even if they fix itemization in D4, it seems like it's always going to have much slower gameplay and that awful skill tree. Still, season 2 was pretty ok but I see myself taking longer breaks from that game. I'm still hopeful they can salvage something from it since they seem to be dumping resources into it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

D4 may have successfully marketed itself as such to the D2 grognards but it’s more like an MMO in its design philosophy and presentation than an ARPG. The whole restrained, muted, “not too much fun or else” babysitting and gameplay loops manufactured to engage rather than to entertain is WoW to the (molten) core.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

As someone who started with diablo back in 1997, D4 has been a huge disappointment to me. I'll go back and check it out again after itemisation changes.

I stopped D3 when Diablo immortal came out which I played until D4 was released. I've been without D3 for about 18 months and I am really in the mood for this season.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Suburban Dad posted:

It's like they only got feedback from hardcore Diablo 2 players before the game came out or something, or only listened to them. Kind of funny everybody slowly realizing D3 did a lot of things right, though maybe not initially.

It's beating a dead horse at this point but that's pretty much the design doc for D4. Create an alternate timeline where D3 was forever complete trash and all the weirdos were right then desperately try to evolve through 22 years as the game tanked. I'm annoyingly persistent in stating this but it's pretty much the same process as WoW classic. Everyone says new game sucks because Modern Baby Games(c), then a thing gets released strictly following the old design, then the same people bitch because the rose tint fell off their glasses.

The funny part is launch D3 (before the RMAH) was basically just D2 loot. Random stats, impossible rarities, and all the other bad poo poo that games had done away with.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mailer posted:

The funny part is launch D3 (before the RMAH) was basically just D2 loot. Random stats, impossible rarities, and all the other bad poo poo that games had done away with.

I think I made it to act 2 inferno before hitting the wall and got one legendary item. A lovely goldwrap with stats that sucked for my character. I couldn't even sell it for $5 on the auction house lol. D2 was way more rewarding than that and the stats on uniques was way more set.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Suburban Dad posted:

I think I made it to act 2 inferno before hitting the wall and got one legendary item. A lovely goldwrap with stats that sucked for my character. I couldn't even sell it for $5 on the auction house lol. D2 was way more rewarding than that and the stats on uniques was way more set.

Same here, in D3 vanilla A2 on inferno was an insane hike in difficulty. "Then we doubled it", loving hell what a design philosophy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The ilvl system in inferno was awful too. So hard to gear up to even stand a chance at slogging through acts 2/3.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Suburban Dad posted:

D2 was way more rewarding than that and the stats on uniques was way more set.

I mean D4 fails at that and in many other ways too, but the original point was that D3 just removed that failure. If the uniques in D2 were better then that never really came up by the time I quit in near the end of A3 Inferno. Multiple nerf waves had removed my options and regearing for those waves had removed my gold, so there was no point in playing.

The only reason it's funny is I've played all these games. Seeing #nochanges quickly turn into "No, it wasn't like this!" is chuckle-worthy every time.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

D4 has good uniques that feel powerful and define builds. They're just rare outside the bosses that drop them. Time limited boss materials can gently caress off too. Especially since one time limited boss is needed to summon Duriel where a lot of those build defining uniques drop.

Uber uniques are their own thing though: not build defining but drat powerful.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I didn't play Diablo 3 until maybe 8 years after launch. Maybe I'll play Diablo 4 some day too.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I'm glad they'll be rerunning seasons in D3 with minor balance changes for the foreseeable future. D4 was a major letdown post-campaign and I don't see them changing that direction if the battlepass is profitable.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'm not sure what is best for seasonal leveling. There is the cache or no cache decision and also the darkening of tristram (magic rocks on level 5) that can give gems for the no 70 req on the altar. I think for the altar season you made a necro and got to 18 for the gems then made your actual character and smooth leveled to 70. That may not be necessary now with the event going on so you may save a few levels.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm not sure what is best for seasonal leveling. There is the cache or no cache decision and also the darkening of tristram (magic rocks on level 5) that can give gems for the no 70 req on the altar. I think for the altar season you made a necro and got to 18 for the gems then made your actual character and smooth leveled to 70. That may not be necessary now with the event going on so you may save a few levels.

The best leveling class is the one the wheel tells you to play.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Even if you have to spin it multiple times to get it to give you the right answer.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

The best leveling class is the one the wheel tells you to play.

Do you get a kickback any time somebody uses the wheel? Lol

.dazedandconfused..
Jan 5, 2006

Once upon a time Blubberkopf made me even more confused....
With Season 30 coming soon, just wanted to say the the LLJK Clan is always open for anyone who wants to play for a week and not be seen again until the next season starts. The LLJK community is also a place for furthering your playing experience. Both have no bearing on the enjoyment of the season but will make that lower left side of your screen scroll with text that can make your playing time remind you that you still play a game that is long past its teenage years and that you still come to a forum like this.

Enjoy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

.dazedandconfused.. posted:

With Season 30 coming soon, just wanted to say the the LLJK Clan is always open for anyone who wants to play for a week and not be seen again until the next season starts. The LLJK community is also a place for furthering your playing experience. Both have no bearing on the enjoyment of the season but will make that lower left side of your screen scroll with text that can make your playing time remind you that you still play a game that is long past its teenage years and that you still come to a forum like this.

Enjoy.

seeing people link their excellent drops and getting mad at your own terrible luck is a key part of the diablo III experience

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

IcePhoenix posted:

seeing people link their excellent drops and getting mad at your own terrible luck is a key part of the diablo III experience

I always win "who got the worst pity primal."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mustached Demon posted:

I always die a little for the people who get the wrong follower relic as theirs

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
That one time a goon got an item for a different class as theirs

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

That was me last season lol. It's good if the first 6 aren't usable anyway.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Suburban Dad posted:

That was me last season lol. It's good if the first 6 aren't usable anyway.

that's true, you need fodder for the altar

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Nothing beats seeing someone post Lavishing Gloves with an otherwise perfect primal roll on and waste the reroll on stun chance instead of rolling off main stat for attack speed in the first weekend of the new season.

You know, the bone spear set that really leaned on attack speed.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 10, 2024

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Mustached Demon posted:

I get Blackthorned for my first primal fairly often.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The pants are kinda good now!

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

I once got a perfect Yang's Recurve, which ruined the experience in a different way lmao.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This season pity primal unlocks an altar step so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Oh also darkening of Tristan event is on when this happened the last time with soul shards it gave a gently caress tonne if them so it's worthwhile to do darkening if tristram to get fast shards too