Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Random Stranger posted:

Actually, president-elect kinda is. It's not written into the constitution, but there are other federal laws that grant certain privileges to the president-elect to insure a smooth transition. They get an office, funds for hiring staff, access to information, rhat kind of thing. It was a big deal in 2020 that Trump wasn't following the law and letting Biden have the things he was legally entitled to.

It's also nothing even remotely new. But of course frothy-mouth Trumpsters have no knowledge of, among many other things, history.

quote:

...authorizing me to invite Abraham Lincoln President Elect of the United States while on his journey to Washington City to visit the State Capital...

BUT IT'S NOT A THING. SOMEHOW.

Escape From Noise posted:

Yeah. That's fair. I guess it just drove me nuts that they acted like it was this whole new concept when I remember it being used back as far as I can remember national elections.

Longer.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah I saw those stories a few days ago that Biden and senate leadership had agreed to some top-line numbers and thought no loving way the HFC is going to be happy with this just because they got some cuts to the IRS to help their friends cheat on their taxes more.

I read an article today in WaPo which seem to indicated substantial Repub support for this, other than the screaming monkeys in the "Freedom Caucus". But it's likely they will screech and howl over anything and everything.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kazil posted:

meanwhile, things are going great in Congress

They don't have the senate or white house so Inot sure what kind of "wins" they think they could get. Even their ability to hold the country hostage with the budget is weakened due to the sliver majority and the fact that nobody is putting up with it anymore.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

also, Mike Pence's brother is retiring from Congress

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

And that leaves the Repub majority at.... 0?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"So god made somebody like Trump.. with arms strong enough to wrestle the deep state, but gentle enough to deliver his own grand child."

..was ..was Trump present when Ivanka delivered?

:barf:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

You're in a desert, walking along when you look down and see a Donald Trump. It's crawling toward you. You reach down and flip it over on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not with out your help. But you're not helping. Why is that?

basic harm mitigation, that's why

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

And that leaves the Repub majority at.... 0?

Retiring at the end of his term, not resigning. Won't affect the current majority.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Infinitum posted:

"So god made somebody like Trump.. with arms strong enough to wrestle the deep state, but gentle enough to deliver his own grand child."

Thought he was off paying for sex

mystes
May 31, 2006

kazil posted:

The Seal Team 6 question is going to be devastating for Trump's case

everyone's really focused on it
Yeah the problem is that, while it's possible to hypothetically imagine a system where the president has to be impeached and removed form office before criminal prosecution is possible, if that applies to everything and not just execution of official duties, it means that the president could literally just assassinate congresspeople to prevent impeachment, so I don't think any court is going to be able to accept that option.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

DaveWoo posted:

Retiring at the end of his term, not resigning. Won't affect the current majority.

And lol if you think my lovely state will elect a D ever.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

mystes posted:

Yeah the problem is that, while it's possible to hypothetically imagine a system where the president has to be impeached and removed form office before criminal prosecution is possible, if that applies to everything and not just execution of official duties, it means that the president could literally just assassinate congresspeople to prevent impeachment, so I don't think any court is going to be able to accept that option.

Actually, you will find that they'll argue that assassinating a congressperson still qualifies as an execution of official duty since he's doing it in order to keep the government running because the impeachment would have interfered with that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

kazil posted:

meanwhile, things are going great in Congress

yeah. i believe biden and the dems made a quiet deal about stuff along with the senate GOP and now the house chuds will have a new snack. lol

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Strong Sauce posted:

watch this video

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7313670836416777502

and see if you think you watched the same video as matt walsh.

I got into an argument with a (literally) 400 pound guy at work who unironically claimed he could take Holly Holm in an octagon, he'd just grab her. I said even if she just didn't decide to jaw him and immediately end it, he'd never lay a finger on her and gas. He got super offended about it, like I was an idiot for not seeing that he, a morbidly obese man, couldn't beat up a world class trained fighter that was a silly woman.

Some guys are super weird about admitting a woman is better than them at anything.

Anyway RIP to Ryan Dunn :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5EbhmJsZc

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aramis posted:

Actually, you will find that they'll argue that assassinating a congressperson still qualifies as an execution of official duty since he's doing it in order to keep the government running because the impeachment would have interfered with that.
Yeah even if you try to limit it to official duties, that's actually a very good argument against any nebulous interpretation of official duties that would apply to the stuff that Trump actually is being charged with anyway.

On the other hand, you could say it only applies to official duties of the president specifically enumerated in the constitution, but that's probably so narrow it's basically useless.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Oh, no, I just realized what this crazy poo poo is based on. There's this super popular Superbowl commercial for Dodge trucks that's based on a monologue called "So God Made a Farmer" by Paul Harvey. It's shown at rodeos and FFA events and the like all the time. Guess I can't say I'm surprised; they know their audience.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aramis posted:

Veep Reboot in five years. First scene is them having an argument of who they're allowed to execute and it not be considered of official duty.

The lawyer always annoying them by telling them 'no you can execute those people', is obviously the first to go.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

The funny thing about this is it's mostly pissing off conservatives. The original piece, So God made a Farmer is basically holy scripture to conservative farmers and the agricultural and livestock sectors. If you're conservative and farm, you've got that on a commemorative plate, or hung up in the kitchen in Mama's hand stitching somewhere almost guaranteed. Trump taking it and shoving his name and politics into it has pissed off more conservatives than are cheering it. The broke brained chuds eat up anything he spews but there are plenty that get especially pissed at a know nothing gold plated moron who has never lifted a finger to do an ounce of work in his lifetime sullying it by forcing himself into a piece they hold dear.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Sedgr posted:

The funny thing about this is it's mostly pissing off conservatives. The original piece, So God made a Farmer is basically holy scripture to conservative farmers and the agricultural and livestock sectors. If you're conservative and farm, you've got that on a commemorative plate, or hung up in the kitchen in Mama's hand stitching somewhere almost guaranteed. Trump taking it and shoving his name and politics into it has pissed off more conservatives than are cheering it. The broke brained chuds eat up anything he spews but there are plenty that get especially pissed at a know nothing gold plated moron who has never lifted a finger to do an ounce of work in his lifetime sullying it by forcing himself into a piece they hold dear.

I mean I don't think you're wrong but if he gets the nomination then 100.0000% of those "non-chud conservatives" are still going to vote for him because of the (R) after his name.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Got to love that line about him "going home hungry" while getting off airforce one. They have food on that plane and like gently caress he ever went hungry as president. ...or ever.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Sedgr posted:

Donald Trump autographed the Bible

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

GOD MADE TRUMP poop his pants

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FBS posted:

Donald Trump autographed the Bible

Hey the authors allowed to sign their work.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lol at the idea of Trump getting up at dawn to do anything other than throw a tantrum.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

vaginite posted:

Anyway RIP to Ryan Dunn :(

he died the way he lived, drunk driving.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sedgr posted:

Source on right wing farmers being pissed at Trump over this?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Strong Sauce posted:

watch this video

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7313670836416777502

and see if you think you watched the same video as matt walsh.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I think Walsh is upset a black woman is being praised

Toxic Mental posted:

What point is he even upset about

Some random guy can't be a D1 track athlete? So? Why is he so mad about it? It's basically what you'd expect

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

A man lost to a woman at a physical contest. This is impossible and wrong.
A black person defeated a white person at something. This is impossible and wrong.

EDIT: Like, seriously, that's it. Your mistake is seeing her as an athlete. He is not seeing her as a person, let alone as a specific type of person. All he sees is 'black' and 'woman' both of which he knows t be inferior categories of creature.

I thought he was being transphobic and saying that if your average shmuck can give an athlete a "run for her money" then that's all the more reason for anti-trans laws, because we have to stop tens of thousands of cis male athletes from slapping on a wig and winning all the medals.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Batterypowered7 posted:

I thought he was being transphobic and saying that if your average shmuck can give an athlete a "run for her money" then that's all the more reason for anti-trans laws, because we have to stop tens of thousands of cis male athletes from slapping on a wig and winning all the medals.

It's all of the above. Matt Walt is the lining of permanently-caked on poo poo at the bottom of a septic tank.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Grey Cat posted:

GOD MADE TRUMP poop his pants

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Praise the lord. He shidded.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
he sees her not utterly humiliating the guy in the first 200 bc she's just doing a daily workout and not competing, as the guy holding his own, lol

she runs slowly with him because she's working out at her leisure, not because she's at her limit, and then when she feels ready she blasts ahead. she literally doesn't even see him as competition and isn't even giving the guy the dignity of an actual race, he's just running next to her as she does her usual workout. just lol that walsh can't even tell that.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1744755326790832163

lol this is some Iraqi Minister of Information poo poo right here

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The judges today grilled both parties on what would be the absolute best outcome - they rule that there's no jurisdiction because this is an interlocutory appeal with no exception. Neither party has argued this. The argument came from amici who said "this is an improperly timed appeal he has to wait until judgment is final first."

Now, I don't think they'll rule on that, but a dismissal of the appeal as improvident that does not get picked up by the SCOTUS would be the funniest outcome. This would mean immediately back to trial court and no more appeals at all until after final judgment.

I doubt this happens, but it is the best outcome.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
how it feels to have another lovely election season looming
https://packaged-media.redd.it/d5hx...823f2033d52#t=0

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

StrangersInTheNight posted:

he sees her not utterly humiliating the guy in the first 200 bc she's just doing a daily workout and not competing, as the guy holding his own, lol

she runs slowly with him because she's working out at her leisure, not because she's at her limit, and then when she feels ready she blasts ahead. she literally doesn't even see him as competition and isn't even giving the guy the dignity of an actual race, he's just running next to her as she does her usual workout. just lol that walsh can't even tell that.

What's extra hilarious about this, compared to the dudes who think they could beat Serena or whatever, is that you can just look up how fast she runs. You could easily run a 400 to see if you're at least comparable before embarrassing yourself like this.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

honestly, it's amazing to me anyone pays enough attention to eBay after all these years that this is making headlines

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I doubt this happens, but it is the best outcome.

I think it's not THAT unlikely. Why kick a hornet's nest (which would be the case no matter which way they ruled) that there's an, even if only remote, chance might just go away?

If I was in these judges' seat, kicking that can down the road would be mighty tempting.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 9, 2024

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Aramis posted:

Haven't Republicans (possible Trump himself) argued that anything a politician does in order to get reelected counts as an official act, because the politician believes they are the best person for the job so its in the country's best interest to see them reelected?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

Should've taken the car to the car wash to get that giant smear of poo poo off the hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

LifeSunDeath posted:

It looks like he was trying to get to the passenger door before eating poo poo.