Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Lord Harbor posted:

Haven't Republicans (possible Trump himself) argued that anything a politician does in order to get reelected counts as an official act, because the politician believes they are the best person for the job so its in the country's best interest to see them reelected?

Not quite, at least to my knowledge. They've (reasonably, on paper) argued that investigating and acting on suspected election fraud is an official act, and there's no reason for them to expand beyond that. That's why the prosecution is putting such a big emphasis on "he knew he had lost".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Who would win: A female D1 athlete or a schlub wearing Hulk Hogan meat shoes?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Aramis posted:

Not quite, at least to my knowledge. They've (reasonably, on paper) argued that investigating and acting on suspected election fraud is an official act, and there's no reason for them to expand beyond that. That's why the prosecution is putting such a big emphasis on "he knew he had lost".

Kind of - they went to great lengths to argue that the superficial fraud Trump made up somehow counted as 'real investigations' despite the fact that its been openly shown that it in and of itself was attempted fraud.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

LifeSunDeath posted:

how it feels to have another lovely election season looming
https://packaged-media.redd.it/d5hx...823f2033d52#t=0

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HappyHippo posted:

You could easily run a 400 to see if you're at least comparable before embarrassing yourself like this.

Yeah but all the people thinking they could beat her in race probably haven't run anywhere more than fiver meters in at least a decade, so they have no comparison.

Of course if they ever tried to run every where they would obviously be as fast as a professional athlete, as you know they obviously still have the heart of a warrior underneath all those rolls of fat, or whatever.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Batterypowered7 posted:

we have to stop tens of thousands of cis male athletes from slapping on a wig and winning all the medals.

Lol memba when they were all like "Trans college swimmer won something?? NOW LEBRON JAMES IS GONNA SAY HE IS TRANS AND DOMINATE THE WNBA"

Man, I can't believe that happened :sigh:

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

It's a batshit dumb argument that he was "investigating voter fraud" too. Because that's not what he was doing, he was trying to get electors to declare him the winner.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

There's a gremlin on the front of my car!

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

What's extra hilarious about this, compared to the dudes who think they could beat Serena or whatever, is that you can just look up how fast she runs. You could easily run a 400 to see if you're at least comparable before embarrassing yourself like this.

The answer to that is simple. Their fantasy is to replicate Karsten Braasch's feat, cigarettes and all.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

“The President murdered someone live on TV. Hmm, well we can’t prosecute him until he’s impeached and removed from office.”
“Great idea. Uh-oh, apparently he’s just also personally murdered everyone who might impeach him, and is dancing in their entrails. Also live on TV.”
“Oh well, guess it’s all legal then.”

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

FWIW I can’t find any MSM site that’s touching this so far.

I wouldn't expect sites for Men Seeking Men to be covering the Fani Willis stuff anyways.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BigglesSWE posted:

FWIW I can’t find any MSM site that’s touching this so far.

this. i mostly see it on twitter. I wouldnt be shocked if its all bullshit and will assume so until proven otherwise.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've come around on Trump's "actually the president can kill whoever they want" legal strategy. The key is that the exact same legal reasoning can apply to anyone who has to be removed from office by impeachment, such as federal judges.

Step 1: get the judge to hate you
Step 2: the judge rules that the judge can kill you
Step 3: survive long enough to become president again

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

vaginite posted:

It's a batshit dumb argument that he was "investigating voter fraud" too. Because that's not what he was doing, he was trying to get electors to declare him the winner.

“I heard that my political opponent was holding a baby at knife point so that’s why I drone bombed him your honor. I knew I lost the election but I heard things and MANY WERE SAYING so I was acting in my capacity as president and doing my duty. Many such cases.”

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Nooner posted:

Lol memba when they were all like "Trans college swimmer won something?? NOW LEBRON JAMES IS GONNA SAY HE IS TRANS AND DOMINATE THE WNBA"

You might be thinking about the movie Juwanna Mann.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1744765006678233226

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

No matter. What? No. Violence!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nooner posted:

And then when it didn't happen, they just made a movie about it happening anyway (after trying an failing to make a documentary about it because every sports league they approached with their premise told Shapiro, Walsh and Boering to all gently caress the hell off).

Batterypowered7 posted:

You might be thinking about the movie Juwanna Mann.

There is a 21st century version of that one now, and it's just as bad :haw:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

rotinaj posted:

No matter. What? No. Violence!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Finally the guy dominating the NBA can get a fair shake and dominate the WNBA. Wow!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1744764706902917555

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. i mostly see it on twitter. I wouldnt be shocked if its all bullshit and will assume so until proven otherwise.

Yeah, not a peep about it in any of my news feeds, though to be fair the news is pretty much dominated by today's hearing (and to a lesser extent, Haley's strong performance in some of the primary polls).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

People say another January 6th is impossible because the chuds learned their lesson after thousands of them got arrested and sent to prison for it. Nah, it'll happen again if Stinkmeister flat out tells them to do it again. They never learn and never change. Not Trump, not them, never.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Some more mainstream sites are picking it up

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-defendant-georgia-da-fani-willis-seeks-disqualify-1234942773/

https://abcnews.go.com/US/defendant-trumps-georgia-election-case-seeks-disqualify-da/story?id=106209092

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-co-defendant-alleges-improper-relationship-fulton-county-da-fani-willis/

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4396297-georgia-defendant-trump-election-case-fani-willis/

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

What is the skepticism? The literal court filing was posted.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

People say another January 6th is impossible because the chuds learned their lesson after thousands of them got arrested and sent to prison for it. Nah, it'll happen again if Stinkmeister flat out tells them to do it again. They never learn and never change. Not Trump, not them, never.

Sure, but this time I'm pretty sure Biden would turn DC into Fort Knox to make sure proceedings occurred correctly.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Really want to know the context on this one. I thought he had a gun at first but looks like just a phone? The driver was amazingly chill.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The fact this is being argued is so... surreal. If they go 'Okay he's immune until congress impeaches and convicts' then you're green lighting a POTUS to remove congress members so they can't do that actual process. Or remove SCOTUS members so they can't hear anything. It's dumb.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sloppy posted:

Really want to know the context on this one. I thought he had a gun at first but looks like just a phone? The driver was amazingly chill.

From googling, looks like the driver was going the wrong way down a one way road, maga grampa stepped in front of his car, driver inched forward to try to get him to move, maga grampa climbed on the hood

Doesn’t look like anyone actually got in trouble on either side

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Edit: Someone already found the context.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It'd be cool if just this one time that all these judges cast aside the plausible deniability poo poo and said frankly "motherfucker you did it, you know you did it, and you are going to be punished" because everyone knows it's true because we all watched it happen live

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I saw some clips of trump from back in 2017 a few minutes ago

Holy poo poo does he look old and tired and beaten down now

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

“I did nothing wrong and also I should not be prosecuted for the things I did.”

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

It'd be cool if just this one time that all these judges cast aside the plausible deniability poo poo and said frankly "motherfucker you did it, you know you did it, and you are going to be punished" because everyone knows it's true because we all watched it happen live

But don't you see? He wasn't told not to commit crimes!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

kazil posted:

What is the skepticism? The literal court filing was posted.

Pretty sure the skepticism is because people seem to be resignedly claiming it's a slam dunk for Team Trump, despite the motion only being filed last night, the records still being under seal currently, and no actual ruling having been handed down as of yet

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

rotinaj posted:

Hopefully it gets worse to the logical conclusion

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Good news everyone!

More Republican State parties are going bankrupt. I already knew about the Michigan GOP beeing broke, but there are others as well: Arizona, Minnesota, Colorado, Massachusetts, and (lol) Florida.

https://www.newsweek.com/multiple-state-republican-parties-going-broke-1858680

Onkel Hedwig fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 9, 2024

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rotinaj posted:

He wasn't well back then, but he could still be coherent. By 2020 his brain was pudding and it's only gotten worse. Which is why republicans harp on how Biden is old and has dementia, it's always projection.

Unironically, I think Trump would stand a good chance of being declared incompetent to stand trial if he went for that. No chance that he'd ever accept it.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aw, sure sucks being a Republican that isn’t one of the favorite republicans that people actually show up for.