Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

My concern is that she considers everything you actually need to do to avoid catching COVID sedition.

she's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

My concern is that she considers everything you actually need to do to avoid catching COVID sedition.

Cuttlefush posted:

she's right

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/4392046-the-us-isnt-doing-enough-for-the-disabled-covid-proves-it/ posted:

The US isn’t doing enough for disabled people — COVID proves it

It is well known that the COVID-19 pandemic dramatically increased mortality among persons of advanced age, but its effect on disabled persons has received little attention. In a new study published in “Health Affairs Scholar,” I show that the pandemic had a devastating impact on disabled persons.

There were nearly 260,000 excess deaths among persons with disabilities during the first two years of the pandemic. These excess deaths account for 26 percent of all excess deaths in America due to the virus.

Patterns in the data show persons with disabilities were at high risk throughout the pandemic.

The virus first hit New York City in the spring of 2020. The probability (or risk) of death for disabled persons jumped immediately. In April 2020, disabled persons in New York and surrounding areas were three times more likely to die than in April 2019 — just one year prior. For disabled persons in institutions in the New York area, such as nursing homes, the risk of death was, shockingly, seven times higher in April 2020 than it was one year prior.

In addition, across all geographic regions in the United States, persons with disabilities experienced very high mortality during the winter of 2020-2021 and when the Delta and Omicron variants emerged in 2021.
(..)

I suspect it continued beyond that point and it is something to keep in mind when looking at the increase in SSI recipients.

Study proper:
"The mortality experience of disabled persons in the United States during the COVID-19 pandemic"

https://academic.oup.com/healthaffairsscholar/article/2/1/qxad082/7462599?login=false posted:

Abstract
New data from the Social Security Administration suggest there were 260 000 excess deaths in the United States among current or former disability beneficiaries during the first 22 months of the COVID-19 pandemic. These beneficiaries accounted for 26% of all excess deaths in the United States during this period. The pattern of deaths among disabled beneficiaries corresponds closely to known milestones in the pandemic's history. Disabled beneficiaries in New York, particularly those residing in institutions, had extremely elevated mortality with the onset of the pandemic in the spring of 2020. Across all regions in the United States, mortality among disability beneficiaries increased sharply with the onset of the winter of 2020–2021 and with the emergence of the Delta and Omicron variants in 2021. Elevated mortality was observed for persons with intellectual, mental, and physical impairments. Future public information campaigns about vaccines and other measures may be more successful if they include specific efforts to directly target disability beneficiaries. In addition, clinical trials and other research should consider including disabled persons as specific study groups as the severity of their underlying health impairments is likely comparable to that of persons of advanced age.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Bummer, I really wanted the results to be much closer.
"Real-world effectiveness of nirmatrelvir-ritonavir versus azvudine in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 during the omicron wave in Beijing: a multicenter retrospective cohort study"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38191304/ posted:

Abstract
Background and aim: Two oral antivirals (Nirmatrelvir- ritonavir and Azvudine) are widely used in China practice during the Omicron wave of the pandemic. However, little evidence regarding the real-world effectiveness of these two oral antivirals in in-hospital patients. We aimed to evaluate the clinical effectiveness of nirmatrelvir-ritonavir versus azvudine among adult hospitalized patients with COVID-19.

Methods: This retrospective cohort study used data from three Chinese PLA General Hospital medical centres. Hospitalized patients with COVID-19 treated with azvudine or nirmatrelvir-ritonavir from Dec 10, 2022, to February 20, 2023, and did not require invasive ventilation support on admission were eligible for inclusion.

Results: After exclusions and propensity-score matching, the final analysis included 486 azvudine recipients and 486 nirmatrelvir-ritonavir recipients. By 28 days of initiation of the antivirus treatment, the crude incidence rate of all-cause death was similar in both types of antivirus treatment (nirmatrelvir-ritonavir group 2.8 events 1000 person-days [95% CI, 2.1-3.6] vs azvudine group 3.4 events/1000 person-days [95% CI, 2.6-4.3], P = 0.38). Landmark analysis showed that all-cause death was lower in the nirmatrelvir-ritonavir (3.5%) group than the azvudine (6.8%, P = 0.029) within the initial 10-day admission period, while no significant difference was observed for results between 10 and 28 days follow-up. There was no significant difference between the nirmatrelvir-ritonavir group and the azvudine group in cumulative incidence of the composite disease progression event (8.6% with nirmatrelvir-ritonavir vs. 10.1% with azvudine, HR, 1.22; 95% CI 0.80-1.86, P = 0.43).

Conclusion: Among patients hospitalized with COVID-19 during the omicron wave in Beijing, similar in-hospital clinical outcomes on 28 days were observed between patients receiving nirmatrelvir-ritonavir and azvudine. However, it is worth noticing that nirmatrelvir-ritonavir appears to hold an advantage over azvudine in reducing early mortality. Further randomized controlled trials are needed to verify the efficacy of those two antivirus medications especially in early treatment.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Frosted Flake posted:

Oh Canada, Our Sick and Plague Filled Land!

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Cuttlefush posted:

she's right

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

actually lol'd @ this one

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Zantie posted:

This is so painful. I get the black&white logic of "I was ultimately the one who made the decision to take my mask down" as in, when told to unmask for a job interview there was technically a point that they could have declined and left. But the way the world actually works flies in the face of that in little moments like this for so many people. It's like if you're in need of anything, a job, dental care, whatever, without having an immediate indicator for "COVID is present" to reassure oneself to try again later, there's always the risk of missing out on an opportunity to obtain something needed because actual risk in that moment was lower than perceived risk. This is why I cringe a little when someone (here, on twitter, whenever) says all unfiltered air is poison, because if you then "willingly" share in that air it automatically implies you are then responsible for it you get unlucky. Even if someone is able to maintain compassion towards others who get got, they might not be so forgiving to themselves if it happens to them.

For what it's worth, I do feel we as a group have gotten a lot better about expressing that compassion and not assigning blame on a person when they come in with a pos. update or to ask for help.

It's like the illusion of free choice. I hate when it gets used as an excuse for not taking any responsibility for ones actions, but I also hate when it's ignored because people like the one above then beat themselves up unnecessarily. Goddamn that sucks so much.

Thoguh posted:

This is why the whole argument that everyone should make their own decisions based on the information available to them is complete bullshit. There's so much pressure to totally ignore COVID that it is not possible for anyone at the individual level to operate as a normal part of society and also protect themselves to the best of their ability unless they are lucky enough to have a family, employer, and medical service providers all in complete agreement. The basic idea of taking precautions is just totally out the window and just by acknowledging COVID is still a thing worth avoiding you're making yourself an unwelcome outlier.

in other news, got busy yesterday and couldn't read/reply, but thanks for the good posts re: my friend's stupid hospital job interview, these two in particular :hai:

it's sort of weird, i think this friend understands and like has even said directly (more or less) that under capitalism, you only have choice insofar as your primary alternative in many cases is absolute deprivation / death, but idk i think it's a thing for them (and probably for many people) where it's easier to have that compassion for other people than for yourself. i gently nudged on that but i think it just feels lovely at this moment for them, probably better over time

Soap Scum has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Jan 9, 2024

Griz
May 21, 2001

I dunno what the gently caress I got or where I got it but I'm simultaneously sweating my rear end off and shivering uncontrollably in a 72 degree room since last night

rapid test was negative and I don't have a cough or fever (went to doctor for an unrelated appt today and they said my temp was 95??)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Griz posted:

I dunno what the gently caress I got or where I got it but I'm simultaneously sweating my rear end off and shivering uncontrollably in a 72 degree room since last night

rapid test was negative and I don't have a cough or fever (went to doctor for an unrelated appt today and they said my temp was 95??)

I’m sorry, but it seems like you’ve developed a mild case of deadly hypothermia

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I'm assuming that this is a reaction from having far too many staffs calling out sick right when the hospitals are getting slammed hard.

https://twitter.com/longcovresource/status/1744573847599526231

I'm also hearing whole lot of other places hospitals systems getting really overwhelmed, talking about how it's measured in days, not hours, on when you get someone to see you.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
lol @ "symptomatic workers not required to test"

and by "lol" I mean :tif:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

NeonPunk posted:

I'm assuming that this is a reaction from having far too many staffs calling out sick right when the hospitals are getting slammed hard.

https://twitter.com/longcovresource/status/1744573847599526231

I'm also hearing whole lot of other places hospitals systems getting really overwhelmed, talking about how it's measured in days, not hours, on when you get someone to see you.
the entire spring 2020 american conservative covid rhetoric playbook is now gospel

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Rochallor posted:

What really gets me down is that here we have a whole forum of people who are very critical of the government, very skeptical of narratives manufactured by the media, who by and large have a huge blind spot for covid. Liberals, sure, we all know they love brunch, but I did expect a little better from leftists.

to be sort of fair I don’t think it’s a blind spot so much as a “well there’s not much I can do about it so I’m not dwelling on it”. When Covid or Covid adjacent stuff pops up in the other threads people seem to be on a p similar page as this one.

like just because I don’t post about the climate meltdown doesn’t mean it’s not a topic that concerns me or that I wouldn’t largely agree with the contents of the mega thread.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the entire spring 2020 american conservative covid rhetoric playbook is now gospel

Don't worry, this wave will be over by Easter and then everything will be back to normal.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Salt Fish posted:

Don't worry, this wave will be over by Easter and then everything will be back to normal.

nobody needs more than 4 plague free* months a year

*some plague included

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Rochallor posted:

What really gets me down is that here we have a whole forum of people who are very critical of the government, very skeptical of narratives manufactured by the media, who by and large have a huge blind spot for covid. Liberals, sure, we all know they love brunch, but I did expect a little better from leftists.

Oops, all of the liberals were neocons and all of the leftists were liberals and libertarians.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rochallor posted:

Pretty much all self-described leftists in the west are trash, if they're white it's like a 99.9% chance of being in it to use their local DSA chapter as a dating app

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

PoundSand posted:

to be sort of fair I don’t think it’s a blind spot so much as a “well there’s not much I can do about it so I’m not dwelling on it”. When Covid or Covid adjacent stuff pops up in the other threads people seem to be on a p similar page as this one.

like just because I don’t post about the climate meltdown doesn’t mean it’s not a topic that concerns me or that I wouldn’t largely agree with the contents of the mega thread.

I don't doubt there are leftists aligned with the thread who just don't post here, but there's a disappointing number who have revealed themselves to not only be the types of people who choose to ignore an ongoing pandemic and the suffering it causes, but the types of people who actively mock anyone who doesn't want to be maimed or killed. I've seen vocal "leftists" on here brag about not wearing PPE in hospitals because caring about COVID is cringe. It's pretty disgusting!

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PoundSand posted:

i feel like this is the minority viewpoint among the ostensible left. seems far more common to cast the covid cautious and vulnerable as crazy shut-in agorophobes. "i'm cool and normal and have a lot of friends and get invited to a lot of parties unlike you weirdos" *rattling cough* (appears to have aged 10 years in the last 4 years)

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

fun stupid story for thread

i met this girl many years ago and we still talk from time to time because she's terminally online and pretty cool/funny generally. she got pretty successful after starting an onlyfans a couple years ago and -- interestingly -- frequently posts pics or videos of herself wearing a mask (surgical, but still) when she's either indoors or in a sufficiently crowded outdoor space (such as city street).

i said hey to her today and checked her story (SFW stuff only) and uh, wow, seems like she's gotten pretty annoyed by her american dude subs being relentless in their anti-masking obsession (circled her w/ black surgical mask on since it's a little hard to see in the blurry noise):

redacting pics and names for privacy but i will say that a handful of these dudes have ig names like "jefferson_defender_69420" or "odins_viking_xxx" or whatever lol

anyway in conclusion she's cooler than i thought and i'm glad she's taking their money

"all these comments from the country of freedom" lol get 'em

Soap Scum has issued a correction as of 19:43 on Jan 9, 2024

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Soap Scum posted:

fun stupid story for thread

i dated this girl many years ago, it was chill and we remained friends when circumstances made continuing untenable but we still talk from time to time because she's terminally online and pretty cool/funny generally. she got pretty successful after starting an onlyfans a couple years ago and -- interestingly -- frequently posts pics or videos of herself wearing a mask (surgical, but still) when she's either indoors or in a sufficiently crowded outdoor space (such as city street).

i said hey to her today and checked her story and uh, wow, seems like she's gotten pretty annoyed by her american dude subs being relentless in their anti-masking obsession (circled her w/ black surgical mask on since it's a little hard to see in the blurry noise):

redacting pics and names for privacy but i will say that a handful of these dudes have ig names like "jefferson_defender_69420" or "odins_viking_xxx" or whatever lol

anyway in conclusion she's cooler than i thought and i'm glad she's taking their money

"all these comments from the country of freedom" lol get 'em

ah

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
a 60 year old friend of mine:

I had covid over Christmas and my telehealth doctor convinced me not to take Paxlovid while she was prescribing it to me. she explained to me how it works. Paxlovid doesn't clear the virus, it keeps it in your body at its current levels. i was going to be traveling in 10 days and we agreed I didn't want to risk rebounding right before that

we have the tools

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fosborb posted:

I had covid over Christmas and my telehealth doctor convinced me not to take Paxlovid while she was prescribing it to me. she explained to me how it works. Paxlovid doesn't clear the virus, it keeps it in your body at its current levels. i was going to be traveling in 10 days and we agreed I didn't want to risk rebounding right before that

we have the tools

Doctors lmao

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Paxlovid works by casting the Starcraft spell stasis on the virus in your body. You have to surround it with dragoons before it unthaws. This is why there are two pills, one gives your white blood cells mana to cast stasis and the other pill contains the goons.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Day 6: WE MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PAXLOVID

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

oh btw my hospital job interview covid friend got pax at no cost in California from a CVS today via Test2Treat. not sure if the relevant aspect is CVS or state or city or Test2Treat or just that gov stockpile remains among some subset of those, but don't assume it's $1400 yet for you or friends who get it D:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
MY LIFE FOR NUMBER

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

fosborb posted:

we have the tools

"Paxlovid just pauses your subscription to COVID." - a doctor, who should never be questioned

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

don't ask follow up questions like "why does pax reduce the length of illness and chance of hospitalization" unless you have a degree

Pitcher Witcher
Jan 13, 2020

Soap Scum posted:

oh btw my hospital job interview covid friend got pax at no cost in California from a CVS today via Test2Treat. not sure if the relevant aspect is CVS or state or city or Test2Treat or just that gov stockpile remains among some subset of those, but don't assume it's $1400 yet for you or friends who get it D:

Iirc California is keeping the free pax available until Feb 15th for sesame care patients.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Why Am I So Tired posted:

"Paxlovid just pauses your subscription to COVID." - a doctor, who should never be questioned

it's funny, I don't remember getting a second opinion from a medical professional ever being controversial before. doctor shopping for prescriptions, sure, but I've had specialists even encourage us to talk to their peers before. :iiam:

anyone know if US pharmacists can still write Paxlovid? or did that die with the EUA?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Covid makes you stupider

https://twitter.com/gkwood3/status/1744650520420045219

Gotta say, the second (so far) highest wave with millions infected, just right before an election? 2024 is gonna be wiiiiilllld

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

coworker that i share a few projects with today posted early morning that he got covid and would be out for the week :')

my first reaction was wfh stay winning, praise be, then of course dm'd him to offer paxlovid guidance if he's interested and get well soon etc

later in the day i learned that actually he's leaving the company and friday is his last day so now i'm like ... is this just a convenient excuse to take his last week of work off ...

well anyway, interesting strategy option for all you quitters out there

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

NeonPunk posted:

Gotta say, the second (so far) highest wave with millions infected, just right before an election? 2024 is gonna be wiiiiilllld

oh no the stupider people are going to vote harder against their own interests (all of the choices)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
so it’s been over 10 days since a couple flights, week long big family gathering with multiple family members sick and me and my family came through illness free. plenty of opportunities for covid to get us but maybe we just got lucky or all of these interventions that have been discussed over the past month worked on our favor.(masks,nasal sprays, probiotics, air purification)

we did mask in airports and certain indoor settings but most of the time (mostly household) we were unmasked. I did ask my parents to get an air purifier though and it ran in general areas(I guess one plus for open floor plans). another visiting family was pretty much sick the whole time…

however now that my kid is back in school, we’ll see how it goes. to avoid the spreadsheet my kid is maskless at school but taking the other precautions.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

OVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Oh shoot. My brother has been feeling off for a while. Tested first day and third day, negative but on the 6th day finally tested positive.

He shares a bedroom with my dad and dad said he just started getting a runny nose this morning, and he doesn't want to get tested because c'mon it's just a runny nose. Luckily I and my brother can bully him into doing the right thing and get tested and start on paxlovid, but he's probably at work right now spreading it to others...

Here's hoping test2treat.org still works in Texas, otherwise time to break into my pax stash