Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It’s all a bit that we’re all doing to overcompensate for demon of the fall’s relentless 2012 style “gently caress my team” posting. Big jeff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The amount of people in this very thread saying "it would be too hard to come up with a contract" was hilarious. It's the literal GM's job to do exactly that. Plus, you could probably just copy/paste an existing contract and make some tweaks. Absolute lol at the people who didn't want Lamar because they'd have to open up MS Word.

There is a big difference between putting up a ton of work that was guaranteed to fail making it pointless and not getting a free draft pick because it was to hard

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I would imagine the process was...

- gently caress it, just fire Vrabel.
Any process that ends in this is a bad process. Those teams would have won 2 to 4 games the past two years without Vrable there (at least 1 against the Jags each year). He is a miracle worker and I dreaded every game against the Titans because of him and King Henry.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is a big difference between putting up a ton of work that was guaranteed to fail making it pointless and not getting a free draft pick because it was to hard

It wasn't guaranteed though. Baltimore was very much balking at Lamar's demands. Other teams had a shot and refused to even try. Sure, there was probably a 99% chance Baltimore matched, but why not take a shot at getting a franchise QB for the next decade by popping open MS Word for an hour or two?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

It wasn't guaranteed though. Baltimore was very much balking at Lamar's demands. Other teams had a shot and refused to even try. Sure, there was probably a 99% chance Baltimore matched, but why not take a shot at getting a franchise QB for the next decade by popping open MS Word for an hour or two?

They were balking at his demands, that does not mean they weren’t going to sign him if their hand was forced.

They weee never trotting out some journeyman QB

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Oh no I still don't have a qb was the worst outcome of offering Lamar. Literally writing up the contract is not that much effort.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I think those were just excuses for collusion.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Why trade for Vrabel? I assume teams all knew him and the owner were on the outs because there's no way his agent isn't dropping technically not tampering hints. At which point a team knowing they want him can just wait the Titans out knowing they're going to make a move at some point.

Is Vrabel so in demand that multiple teams are lining up to instahire him that they need to jump on a trade to get negotiation rights? It's not like the Payton situation where the Saints could just sit and wait for an offer since Payton wasn't doing anything for them anyways. The Titans need to get the ball rolling on their end before the top tier candidates get snapped up.

So is whatever picks they might get in a trade eventually worth missing out on the guy they want? Forcing someone to trade for your coach only works if keeping them is an option.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

quote:

“As the NFL continues to innovate and evolve, I believe the teams best positioned for sustained success will be those who empower an aligned and collaborative team across all football functions. Last year, we began a shift in our approach to football leadership and made several changes to our personnel to advance that plan. As I continued to assess the state of our team, I arrived at the conclusion that the team would also benefit from the fresh approach and perspective of a new coaching staff.”

:leavemtg:

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

thank you ChatGPT, can you please provide an answer that is more human?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Would be a great time to fire sirianni imo. So many good potential coaches out there, would rather kick the tires than keep the useless husk that just committed the biggest collapse in franchise history.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Probably Magic posted:

Article lost me hard when it criticized the Robinson firing as nonsensical. Yeah, it's weird how getting dominated by AJ Brown in a game after trading him will make you question a GM's ability! I don't think Adams Strunk has been the most stable owner, but losing confidence in Robinson is not the most absurd choice in the world.

If these leaks are anything to go by, I'm wondering if Bill not being totally ready to "part ways" with New England is just throwing a wrench in everyone's plans, which is what the "doing a trade would take too long" means, because by the time Bill makes a decision one way or another, the coaching roulette is exhausted and you're hosed (and the Titans probably don't get Belichick in the meantime).

I didn't interpret that as the writer saying firing Robinson as a poor decision in and of itself, but moreso another data point of apparent waffling indecisiveness mixed with reactionary "ah gently caress this, toss the thing away, it's too much of a headache".

Like, people were calling for Robinson’s head since that trade occurred, and clearly it would have been discussed behind-the-scenes during that summer and camp. So when the season starts with him still there, you'd think they'd hammered out an understanding on the team's trajectory.

But then he's fired because Brown went off against the Titans for 120~ yards and 2 TDs in a big loss versus the Eagles? What was the evaluation process in the owner's suite? The trade was a loving mistake from Day 1, no question. But then why wait until AJ has a huge game against the Titans to dump Robinson? Would he have been kept it AJ slipped on a route or a DB broke up a pass, resulting in a 28-20 final score with Brown going for 73 yards and a score?

So you add that on top of "we're keeping Mularkey" => "we're firing Mularkey" in days after their WC loss, and this new weirdness with Vrabel, and it does hint that there's reason for concern re: the hands on the wheel at Titans HQ.

At least she's better than Bud, as a person (I hope).

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Asproigerosis posted:

Would be a great time to fire sirianni imo. So many good potential coaches out there, would rather kick the tires than keep the useless husk that just committed the biggest collapse in franchise history.

Is he really that bad? They almost won the Super Bowl last year then he lost both of his coordinators and still won 11 games this year. That's probably pretty tough to replace. Maybe he can get a decent DC next year and improve that area? Seems maybe a bit early to cut bait.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

wandler20 posted:

Is he really that bad? They almost won the Super Bowl last year then he lost both of his coordinators and still won 11 games this year. That's probably pretty tough to replace. Maybe he can get a decent DC next year and improve that area? Seems maybe a bit early to cut bait.

Eagles fans have gone completely insane this year and have been calling for his firing in the NFC East thread since like October when they were still undefeated.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wandler20 posted:

he won 11 games but they were 9-1 this year.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FizFashizzle posted:

he won 11 games but they were 9-1 this year.

10-1 to 11-6

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Now that Vrabel's available, I'll be surprised if Belicheck's firing isn't official by this time tomorrow.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

wandler20 posted:

He's not. They've slipped a bit but some of the Eagles fans have decided to adopt an annoying gimmick about it.

They should absolutely fire Patricia though

Mega64
May 23, 2008

He hired Patricia and even promoted him so I agree with the Eagles posters.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The one thing that gives me pause is the team's lovely vibes and if they carry over into the playoffs. It's a lot harder to justify keeping him if he's already lost the locker room.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It’s all a bit that we’re all doing to overcompensate for demon of the fall’s relentless 2012 style “gently caress my team” posting. Big jeff

ive mostly checked out of Titans in general, but I had a good laugh when I got the alert

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Patricia is the easiest scapegoat in the world, so unless the Bucs blank them or something this weekend I think you dump pencil boy once the season's over and quietly tell Sirianni that he's on a hot seat to start 2024. Something has to change though, that team has a terrible vibe right now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/Titans/status/1744816830772818081

Might just be me but from the interview (which is likely staged as hell but still) it suggests a major factor in Vrabel's firing is his staff, since AAS states she wants a coach that brings together a strong supporting staff. Vrabel's staff has been rather iffy in recent seasons.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think those were just excuses for collusion.

My theory is it was collusion by way of everyone agreeing to not give a guaranteed contract but also Biscuit telling everyone in the owner group chat that Baltimore would match whatever and not to bother. Also Lamar seems to like it here and I don't think he really wanted to leave except maybe for Miami.

In really soft voice: there are also legitimate injury concerns

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

This is a fair point

https://twitter.com/PFF_Brad/status/1744791588067250301#m

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t know what this has to do with Bill who has not been fired yet and no hint he will be as of now

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My concern with Sirianni would be that he was a mirage the whole time and the juice was really Steichen, Gannon and Roseman's roster and he was just the empty suit directing it all. Steichen and Gannon both seem like the real deal dealing with some pretty unfavorable situations while the Eagles....yeesh.

Even when they were going 10-1, they weren't exactly huge confidence inspiring wins, y'know? And to a lesser degree I think that was kinda the case last year. They went through a pretty soft schedule all the way up to the NFCCG where all of the 49ers QBs promptly exploded.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

C-Euro posted:

Patricia is the easiest scapegoat in the world, so unless the Bucs blank them or something this weekend I think you dump pencil boy once the season's over and quietly tell Sirianni that he's on a hot seat to start 2024. Something has to change though, that team has a terrible vibe right now.
There is no possible justification for Johnson, Desai, or Patricia to have jobs next year.

The case against Siriani boils down to "he's why they have jobs this year" with a side of "losing 5 of last 6 games after starting 10-1 sure seems like a leadership problem".

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Mega64 posted:

He hired Patricia and even promoted him so I agree with the Eagles posters.

Benne posted:

The one thing that gives me pause is the team's lovely vibes and if they carry over into the playoffs. It's a lot harder to justify keeping him if he's already lost the locker room.

It's this with Sirianni and also his offense stunk before and after Steichen. So if Steichen is the brains behind the good offense, and he hired Patricia for the defense, and the vibes are bad...what else do you need to see here imo.

e: To put another way, before people started posting a lot about firing Sirianni we were all giving credit to Steichen for the offense and drafting the entire UGA defense for crazy good DL depth with a fluke number of sacks as major reasons they made the Superbowl. Why is it now only when discussing firing him that people want to say Sirianni got them to the SB? Was Dan Quinn the brains behind the Falcons run?

Master Stur fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 9, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

sharknado slashfic posted:

My theory is it was collusion by way of everyone agreeing to not give a guaranteed contract but also Biscuit telling everyone in the owner group chat that Baltimore would match whatever and not to bother. Also Lamar seems to like it here and I don't think he really wanted to leave except maybe for Miami.

In really soft voice: there are also legitimate injury concerns

This is still dumb because a rival GM should have then offered a much bigger contract and forced Baltimore to burn a bunch more cap space. There’s really no explanation for what happened with Lamar other than rampant collusion

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
When they were 10-1 I feel like a lot of people (self included) thought they weren't really playing the level you'd associate with 10-1, but were also capable of playing better, so it was kinda like "The Eagles are 10-1 and aren't even showing how good they are yet." And instead they got thrashed by SF and DAL and spent most of the last month failing to crack 20 on offense and ended with the 30th ranked scoring defense.

So I don't follow the Eagles closely enough to say if this is really all on Sirianni or not but I can say if I were an Eagles fan I'd be losing my loving mind too.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Docjowles posted:

This is still dumb because a rival GM should have then offered a much bigger contract and forced Baltimore to burn a bunch more cap space. There’s really no explanation for what happened with Lamar other than rampant collusion

The counterpoint would be most GMs are dumb cowards and none of them would risk anchoring their job to a massive contract just to spite the Ravens. But realistically what rival would be in a position to do this where it isn't an obvious bluff? All the AFC top seeds and in-division rivals have QBs locked up except the Steelers.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Tennessees GM just had press availability where he said that he was in lockstep with Mike vrabel which is pretty funny, he also said that our offensive line would have been fine if they weren’t playing hurt which is comical. I’ll have to watch the clips but I’m not feeling reassured lol

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Master Stur posted:

none of them would risk anchoring their job to a massive contract just to spite the Ravens.

If the Browns weren't boat-anchored by Watson for the next 4 years, I'll bet they would have thought long and hard about it. Haslem, for all his faults, has no problem spending big bux on players and is also desperate for a franchise QB.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

If the Browns weren't boat-anchored by Watson for the next 4 years, I'll bet they would have thought long and hard about it. Haslem, for all his faults, has no problem spending big bux on players and is also desperate for a franchise QB.

Haslam has a soft spot for rapists so unfortunately Lamar was never an option regardless of the situation

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Dutchy posted:

When they were 10-1 I feel like a lot of people (self included) thought they weren't really playing the level you'd associate with 10-1, but were also capable of playing better, so it was kinda like "The Eagles are 10-1 and aren't even showing how good they are yet." And instead they got thrashed by SF and DAL and spent most of the last month failing to crack 20 on offense and ended with the 30th ranked scoring defense.

So I don't follow the Eagles closely enough to say if this is really all on Sirianni or not but I can say if I were an Eagles fan I'd be losing my loving mind too.

This is what it comes down to. I don't know if Sirianni should be fired, but I know a) The Vibes are Extremely Bad — like Last Days of Chip Kelly bad — and it doesn't feel like he has the players' confidence, b) everybody who actually watched the Eagles games this season knew there were serious problems being masked by incredible luck and occasional bursts of competence (reminder that Mac Jones was torching our secondary in week one and things didn't, like, get a whole lot better), and c) it's going to be very, very difficult for Lurie and Roseman to sell bringing him back after this season unless they pull some truly miraculous poo poo off in the playoffs.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Mega64 posted:

https://twitter.com/Titans/status/1744816830772818081

Might just be me but from the interview (which is likely staged as hell but still) it suggests a major factor in Vrabel's firing is his staff, since AAS states she wants a coach that brings together a strong supporting staff. Vrabel's staff has been rather iffy in recent seasons.

if i were the most hyped up coaching prospect, the only way that i would agree to coach the Titans would be that they must change their dumbass helmets back to white

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

In a better world, it would have been a sensational player with minimal real-world baggage (I thiiink he tweeted some nonsense during the pandemic, but obv nothing truly heinous, just facepalm-worthy) like Lamar to receive the first huge entirely-guaranteed deal, especially since he provided the Ravens exceptional returns during his rookie deal AND since his contributions via running may cause his overall value to diminish quicker than an all-arm QB like Brady, Manning, etc.

Instead, sexual assault high-score chaser received that golden ticket.

*flashes back to 2018, yelling at screen for Steelers to select the guy who could be Slash+++ in a better era for dual-threat QBs*

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

I originally was going to mention this but it kinda speaks for itself. The only team dumb enough to do the thing already did it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1744842659871568120

Good to get out there and dispel that narrative that was being stoked by...the team's owner???