Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One of the reasons I decided to do a full wipe and refresh of my gaming PC is that I didn't feel like I ever fully removed SC after the one free fly I did. Now it's delightfully clean.

The fact there are literally no comments or reactions is just perfect. "P-please argue with me! Anyone?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I love when someone actually tries to play SC and confirms it is still a broken mess.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mokotow posted:

Edit: It doesn't have an uninstall wizard, huh

What kind of Derek heretic fudster would ever want to uninstall the pre-alpha of the next stage in gameplay evolution? :colbert:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The fact there are literally no comments or reactions is just perfect. "P-please argue with me! Anyone?"

Worf posted:

It sounds like all of these people are trying to stick it to players that they feel play games the wrong way, except they’ve never actually encountered any other players in any other games because they don’t play games.

Like they want to punish people that they’ve never met, and that probably don’t exist, which is fair because the game that they want to use to do it also doesn’t exist

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It hardly even qualifies as a take, an energy system in games can be done well or it can be done poorly. It's like saying you're a fan of sprinting in games.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Popete posted:

It hardly even qualifies as a take, an energy system in games can be done well or it can be done poorly. It's like saying you're a fan of sprinting in games.

correct

slay the spire has an energy system

bullets are an energy system

most games have an energy system

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Blue On Blue posted:

Half the proceeds go directly to the Ukraine presidents new villa

Are you talking about the bullshit w/ the Florida mansion? The public records on the real estate clearly state the villa in question is owned by a couple from Atlanta lol

Actually, wait. How did the SC thread end up w/ Russian sympathizers yelling about Ukraine?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mellow_ posted:

Are you talking about the bullshit w/ the Florida mansion? The public records on the real estate clearly state the villa in question is owned by a couple from Atlanta lol

Actually, wait. How did the SC thread end up w/ Russian sympathizers yelling about Ukraine?

Star Citizen is all about showing your rear end

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Mellow_ posted:

You're allowed to dislike Chris Roberts *and* Derek Smart.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mellow_ posted:

Some people can live an entire life without ever finding the appropriate 6th-story window to fall out of, and some of those are bound to end up here. It's just statistics.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mokotow posted:

Edit: It doesn't have an uninstall wizard, huh

This one might be my favourite. It never gets old. :allears:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Still early days, so cut them some slack on the uninstaller.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Also, given how their recommendation for installing the game is to disable all of Windows' system integrity safeguards, are you quite sure you want to trust them with an automated uninstaller?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Also, given how their recommendation for installing the game is to disable all of Windows' system integrity safeguards, are you quite sure you want to trust them with an automated uninstaller?

rm -rf /

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Mellow_ posted:

dunno i dont follow the conflict at all these days really, i just read something about how president valinsky has fancy new properties in italy or wherever , ever since the world started giving his country billions and billions of dollars with no receipt

im most certainly not a russian sympathizer i root for ukraine, just talking poo poo is all

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

shrach posted:

Firstly, they spent $13m on capital expenditure in 2022? That's in the region of $15k per employee for the year. They talk about pandemic and creating great offices that people don't fear to go or whatever but in the previous ten years in total, they spent $20m. They also use that same end of pandemic reason for the increase in overheads, which rose from nearly $12m in 2021 to over $18m in 2022

Probably just removing all the copper pipes. Server Meshing will work good now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blue On Blue posted:

dunno i dont follow the conflict at all these days really, i just read something about how president valinsky has fancy new properties in italy or wherever , ever since the world started giving his country billions and billions of dollars with no receipt

im most certainly not a russian sympathizer i root for ukraine, just talking poo poo is all

this post is bad and you should feel bad

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I don’t feel bad in the least actually

I pray for Putin death does that help ?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

can we not

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Alright I've had enough I'm outta here

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

not trying to stir anything up, just curious at this point why it was a bad post... wasn't intended as such to upset anyone

same question, but im happy to leave it lying in the refuse next to the wing commander films

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

nOt TrYiNg tO sTiR aNyThInG uP

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Don’t question anything.

Especially not CIGs financials

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Worf posted:

nOt TrYiNg tO sTiR aNyThInG uP

alright gently caress you i guess then?

read into what i say as much as you want

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PULL UP COMMANDOS

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I heard Chris Roberts played his video game once!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

"8 Years Ago"

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

shrach posted:

I remember once upon a time saying no matter how much money they are given, they will find a way to spend it and somehow this continues to be true.

So I guess the scenarios are...

- CIG put the money into making the best game ever

- CIG put the money into the appearance of making the best game ever

- CIG are skimming off the money

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Pixelate posted:

all 3 are probably true at this point

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://packaged-media.redd.it/zzw2...cc8432fb980#t=0

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pixelate posted:

Its a mix of 2 & 3.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

Pixelate posted:

2 & 3, is my guess. Thousands upon thousands of fans shoveling money at Roberts, with zero accountability? Maybe it wasn't a scam at the start, but when the money seriously started rolling in, he realized fast that as long as he put on a good enough show, the fan base would throw more and more money at him, for little more than a jpg and a whole lot of empty promises.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Every year the SC thread gathers. Every year a new victim is chosen. Young and unaware, this poor soul is subjected to the tortures of actually trying to play a barely functional ancient tech demo. Their pain is harvested and fuels the collective, who thank them for their sacrifice. Some whisper that a day will come when the funding will stop and no new victims will be needed. Every year that hope dies, and the thread gathers again.

Popete posted:

My first read I assumed the reason it was ~so controversial~ is that "energy systems" refers to mobile games where it's literally just a way to lock in the all-important engagement metric. Daily/weekly quests or caps on some sort of advancement would be the non-mobile version of that. Being universally worse for players it'd make it a good hot take to try to generate an argument. It's like youtube videos harvesting rage clicks only he's not getting paid.

I guess it could also mean... mana? Fuel? Non-cooldown-based things with a consumable point total? Maybe the whole point is doing the bit where he implies the mobile kind but is vague enough to be able to turn around and claim someone else in projecting? I've never been able to keep up with trends in arguing on the internet.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Lethality's whole shtick is advocating for time sinks, the more tedious and cumbersome the better because this means it's more "realistic". I assume they are advocating for energy systems as a means to slow the player from doing what they actually want to be doing more so than as a core mechanic to the gameplay (e.g. a mana bar).

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

There are two politics forums and a GBS thread that you can go and argue about the Russia / Ukraine war in, please don't do it in this thread about the video game Star Citizen, thank you.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Popete posted:

Lethality's whole shtick is advocating for time sinks, the more tedious and cumbersome the better because this means it's more "realistic". I assume they are advocating for energy systems as a means to slow the player from doing what they actually want to be doing more so than as a core mechanic to the gameplay (e.g. a mana bar).

So space gasoline, but your ship has a 500 gallon tank and it takes 15 minutes to fill it?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cutedge posted:

So space gasoline, but your ship has a 500 gallon tank and it takes 15 minutes to fill it?

Also you're playing during space rush hour, so you have to wait while other players fill their tank first.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The npc pumping your space gas has a fully realized life and hobbies outside of work, as well as a complete social network.

In many ways they will be more human than the citizens themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Worf posted:

The npc pumping your space gas has a fully realized life and hobbies outside of work, as well as a complete social network.

In many ways they will be more human than the citizens themselves

NPC pumping your gas? Is this space New Jersey?