Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

fosborb posted:

lol first hit on seseme care, she prescribed augmentin for my "sinus infection." time for a second opinion

god i love this system.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

NeonPunk posted:

Oh neat. My family is now 100% totally in with the idea of using UVC lights as another layer for home.

Anyone know of a website where I can find some actual proper lights? I want to get us to commit to it before they get over Covid and change their minds later

UVC is probably the one thing I’ve been reluctant about putting in my home. I just couldn’t find anything that was safe enough, to me at least, to be around kids. also the ones I did find were a bit expensive.

there were those uvc paddle light things but you needed like 8 ft ceilings at least. https://faruv.com/disinfection-floor-lamp/

there is this: https://beaconlight.co

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

fosborb posted:

lol first hit on seseme care, she prescribed augmentin for my "sinus infection." time for a second opinion

god i love this system.
Reported for not trusting a doctor

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i got the flu back in December right after i got flu + covid booster, was lucky not to get the covid but lmao all the sick people around unvaccinated.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Celexi posted:

i got the flu back in December right after i got flu + covid booster, was lucky not to get the covid but lmao all the sick people around unvaccinated.

That's just the quintupledemic, very normal and healthy actually.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This is the most matter of fact headline I've seen in a while.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pingui posted:

This is the most matter of fact headline I've seen in a while.

More of this would be nice!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Baddog posted:

More of this would be nice!

Hmm, well that isn't really on the table. How about a thousand articles saying the problem is not enough people got vaccinated?

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023

DominoKitten posted:

I’ve been looking at this 3eo one and have questions like how long until the tests expire given that they don’t sell tests in smaller batches than 20 for $380. Might be consumer available I guess but not very consumer friendly.

This was a good question and I should have listened. I sprung for the 20 test plus starter kit package. It is manufactured in December 2023 but expires in March or April 2024 depending on the test. Presumably, they plan to file for extension. Otherwise, this is quite a waste as I doubt I will get to use all tests by end of March. Doh.

In other news, 2-pack is available for $38 here:

https://www.epimedi.com/collections/all-products/products/3eo-covid-19-test-2-pack

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Pingui posted:

Hmm, well that isn't really on the table. How about a thousand articles saying the problem is not enough people got vaccinated?

best I can do is 30 articles about a given celebrity reporting that they're hospitalized for a severe acute respiratory disease but not naming the underlying cause

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Platystemon posted:

Huh, that’s odd.

Your employer wouldn’t happen to require annual inoculation against influenza, would they?

yeah but obviously they all do religious exemption because it just gives you the flu and they don't want no woke chip. This has been a thing for decades and I should have known the covid vaccines would follow the same road. I had hopes that people would wise up when faced with a pandemic but nah just made them more defiant in service of the culture war.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Picked up my daughter from after school care today. They had her in charge of dispensing hand sanitizer to each kid in the line returning to the room from outside play. She was the only one masked. Lol

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Rescue Toaster posted:

Maybe someone will come up with something, but I'd be extremely cautious and skeptical approaching this because:

A) The fixtures that use 254nm are designed so that nobody comes into contact with the light, ever. Either by being enclosed in your ductwork, using special fixtures to keep the light horizontal up above people's heads, or only activating when nobody is in the room. You'd have to really know how to safely install and operate these systems.
B) Commercial fixtures using 222nm that are, you know, properly certified to be safe are extremely expensive.
C) Cheap 222nm lights you can get from china or ebay or whatever... do you have a way to verify they are safe and actually emit light only in the bands they claim to?
D) I don't know that there's much research on actual long-term exposure to 222nm like getting it shined on you for hours a day every day.
E) I'm not sure there's any concrete reason to believe this would be more effective than filtration like building a few more low-noise corsi cubes using high-end PC fans and the like.

The promise of far UV is it gives 20-50 eACH, doesn’t make any noise and can be installed unobtrusively. The downsides are the products seem to be really rough around the edges, still not enough to replace a mask in near field transmission, hard for consumer to verify it is actually 222 nm UV, and it’s $$$$.

Joey Fox installed one in his dining room and he credits it and his other mitigations with helping to prevent spread in his house before one of his family members tested positive and isolated.

https://itsairborne.com/dining-room-far-uv-2f5db7f5218a

Naomi Wu’s far UV thing seems fine (if she’s still selling it) but it is not meant for permanent installation.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Steely Dad posted:

Picked up my daughter from after school care today. They had her in charge of dispensing hand sanitizer to each kid in the line returning to the room from outside play. She was the only one masked. Lol
lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fosborb posted:

a 60 year old friend of mine:

I had covid over Christmas and my telehealth doctor convinced me not to take Paxlovid while she was prescribing it to me. she explained to me how it works. Paxlovid doesn't clear the virus, it keeps it in your body at its current levels. i was going to be traveling in 10 days and we agreed I didn't want to risk rebounding right before that

we have the tools

Someone should conduct a poll of physicians.

If high school kids were saying this much bullshit about STDs, they’d call it a grave failure of public health.

Asproigerosis posted:

yeah but obviously they all do religious exemption because it just gives you the flu and they don't want no woke chip. This has been a thing for decades and I should have known the covid vaccines would follow the same road. I had hopes that people would wise up when faced with a pandemic but nah just made them more defiant in service of the culture war.

You already responded to that one.

I don’t mean to alarm you, but you may have a mild case of severe memory loss.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1440698563051196425

Let’s check how this aged.

quote:

Antibodies generated by the vaccines naturally wane, but the vaccines generate memory B cells, which produce high levels of neutralizing antibodies if they see the virus or its variants again. Memory B cells, once generated, are long-lasting. A 2008 Nature study found that survivors of the 1918 influenza pandemic were able to produce antibodies from memory B cells when their blood samples were exposed to the same influenza strain nine decades later. T cells generated by the vaccines also protect us from severe disease and are unfazed by the variants. As the virus continues to circulate, those who are older or immunocompromised will need a booster shot, but most people will be protected due to the fact that the pathogen will be more rarely confronted.

So, what will endemic covid-19 look like? If we can tamp down viral circulation globally and largely strip the virus of its ability to cause severe disease through vaccination, the world can resume a version of the normalcy we so desperately crave. Outbreaks of severe disease will occur among populations unwilling to be vaccinated, as we see with measles, but vaccine mandates can help increase vaccination uptake. Because of this and naturally acquired immunity, covid-19 will go the way of other respiratory viruses over which we have control.

We will test those who show up to the hospital with a severe respiratory illness for a variety of communicable diseases including covid-19. And we will provide treatments, including antivirals, steroids and other anti-inflammatory medications. Moderate respiratory symptoms of covid-19 in the outpatient setting may be treated with monoclonal antibodies or soon-to-be-available antivirals, and mild respiratory symptoms will not require special treatment at all, like other common colds.

In a matter of months, viral circulation in the United States could dwindle to levels so low we will no longer need to require masks, distancing, ventilation, asymptomatic testing or contact tracing. This has already happened in Denmark, Ireland, Chile and Britain. These countries have higher vaccination rates than the United States, but we will be helped along by vaccination mandates, immunizations for young children that are on the horizon and by a high level of natural immunity caused by the rapidly spreading delta variant. Like those other countries, we will learn to accept the circulation of a virus that is no longer causing a high number of hospitalizations and treat its symptoms as they arise, like we do so many other communicable diseases that can’t be eradicated.

[Natural immunity to covid is powerful. Policymakers seem afraid to say so.]

And although the covid-19 pandemic to date has confounded a lot of our expectations, it remains true that a virus can never really continue to evolve to higher and higher pathogenicity without incurring costs to its fitness. We learned this from HIV, where mutations have rendered the virus less able to replicate. Indeed, all past pandemics have eventually ebbed, vaccine or not. Defanging the coronavirus and stripping it of its ability to cause severe disease through immunity will relegate it to the fate of other circulating cold-causing coronaviruses, an inconvenience but not a world stopper. The key to hastening this normalcy is vaccination, like the other countries that are now reopening with few restrictions We can get there, too.

Oh.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

at least she was laughed out of medicine and we'll never hear from her again

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A Survey on Knowledge, Prevention, and Occurrence of Sexually Transmitted Infections among Freshmen from Four Italian Universities

quote:

At multivariable analysis, a significantly higher level of STI knowledge was observed in older students (25+ years of age), biomedical students, and those from a non-nuclear family; lower levels were found among students of the University of Palermo, and those who completed a vocational secondary school education. Those who had less knowledge about the most effective tools to prevent STIs included males, students from the University of Palermo, students registered with educational sciences, economics/political sciences, those of foreign nationality, and those whose fathers had lower educational levels. The risk of contracting a STI was significantly lower only in students not in a stable relationship (relative risk ratio, RRR = 0.67; 95% confidence interval, 95%CI = 0.48; 0.94), whereas such risk was significantly higher in students with higher STI knowledge (RRR = 1.15; 95%CI = 1.08; 1.22).

Discussion and Conclusions.

University freshmen investigated in this study had poor knowledge of STIs and their prevention. Unexpectedly, those with higher levels of knowledge had an increased risk of STIs. There have been no educational interventions—with good quality and long-term follow-ups—that increased the confidence that such SHE programs could have population level effects. A new high-quality study is therefore recommended to assess the effectiveness of an intervention generating behavioral changes; increasing only STI knowledge may not be sufficient.

Learning about STDs causes cases!

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

look, if preventing a disease requires putting properly functioning PPE on parts of my body when interacting with others, how long do you expect me to keep that up!?!?!

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

mahler_biryani posted:

This was a good question and I should have listened. I sprung for the 20 test plus starter kit package. It is manufactured in December 2023 but expires in March or April 2024 depending on the test. Presumably, they plan to file for extension. Otherwise, this is quite a waste as I doubt I will get to use all tests by end of March. Doh.

In other news, 2-pack is available for $38 here:

https://www.epimedi.com/collections/all-products/products/3eo-covid-19-test-2-pack

Hopefully you can keep ordering it in sets of two going forward!

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Why isn't she pushing for the protections she predicted?

https://slate.com/technology/2023/09/endemic-monica-gandhi-covid-masks-lockdowns-school-closures.html

quote:

Asked about what she got right and wrong over the course of the pandemic, Gandhi says she was right about the harms of school closure and the fact that “the immune system works the same way” for COVID as it does for other infections.

As for her biggest error, she thinks she talked too much. “I didn’t seem to be able to help myself from writing about it or talking about it,” she says. “I just felt like I had this long view of infectious diseases that other people didn’t.”

My greatest weakness is that I work too hard

Fansy has issued a correction as of 08:00 on Jan 10, 2024

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Fansy posted:

Why isn't she pushing for the protections she predicted

Was arguing with some guy who was always a huge "great barrington declaration" proponent, and he had completely forgotten that the whole thing was predicated on herd immunity (along with "protecting the vulnerable").

To their credit, they've left the original thing up, probably as a testament to their complete and utter victory. Even while being 100% wrong about everything.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fansy posted:

Why isn't she pushing for the protections she predicted

Because her income depends on making excuses for capital

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's Monkeypox (Mpox) update.

WA State Mpox Dashboard
pre:
Cumulative
Mpox	Total	Change
Cases	734	+1
Hosp.	21	-
pre:
Recent
Week	Cases	Change
Dec-17	1	-
Dec-10	1	+1
Dec-03	1	-

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re training new adults that the pandemic is not an acceptable topic of discussion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/05/podcasts/the-daily/college-admissions.html?showTranscript=1 posted:

The college essay is a high stakes genre of writing that is supposed to capture everything a 17-year-old is and was and everything he or she could offer to the college of their dreams.

[…]

And rules about what not to do. Many of the students told me about certain edicts around the college essay. Don’t write a sob story. No COVID. No dying grandparents. These are topics that won’t set you apart from the batch.

You could say “it’s a cliché”, but come on, so is being class president and very nearly everything high school students have accomplished to date. Admissions officers have heard it all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The paper of record of the United States calls COVID a “social issue”, admits that Biden caved on it like the ’bama defensive line.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/24/podcasts/the-daily/tommy-tuberville-senate-military.html?showTranscript=1 posted:

It would not be unprecedented for the Biden administration to cave on a social policy to Republicans. This actually happened recently when they said, OK, we’ll take down the COVID mandate. That was more of an argument that happened in the contours of the defense bill.

context

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
They are technically true, but only because the two party system of America worked side by side to make it a purely social/culture war issue . Also NYT was a key player in carrying this water, so nice humble brag.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DominoKitten posted:

look, if preventing a disease requires putting properly functioning PPE on parts of my body when interacting with others, how long do you expect me to keep that up!?!?!

Looking to the Italians once again,

https://doi.org/10.15167/2421-4248/jpmh2019.60.2.1079 posted:

The reluctance of adolescents to use condoms is another possible explanation. Some surveys showed that, among youth, the idea that using condoms greatly reduces sex- ual pleasure is widespread [17, 18].

Furthermore, among adolescents, condom use is not considered as protection from sexually transmitted in- fections, but rather as a way to avoid a possible unwant- ed pregnancy [19]; therefore, condom use becomes ir- regular when other contraceptives are used [20, 21]. Among the sexually transmitted infections, HIV is cer- tainly the best known; nevertheless, on this subject, the degree of awareness about modes of transmission is still poor [19]. Because the sexual transmission of infections continues to represent a serious public health problem, there is a strong need to minimize behaviours that place people at risk of contracting STIs by promoting safe sexual behaviours through consistent and correct use of condoms and by advising people to avoid promiscuous relationships [22].

It doesn’t sound like they have an offramp. :shrug:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Baddog posted:

Was arguing with some guy who was always a huge "great barrington declaration" proponent, and he had completely forgotten that the whole thing was predicated on herd immunity (along with "protecting the vulnerable").

To their credit, they've left the original thing up, probably as a testament to their complete and utter victory. Even while being 100% wrong about everything.

I feel like that was always one of those “here’s what we’re doing, and look we thought of some reasons you’ll like it too” kind of things. Rich guys get to continue dictating reality but yadda yadda it’ll be okay, maybe someone will invent some technology, have you seen this study that says the problem is actually good? By the time you can prove it was all bullshit and there was no upside, it’s already back to business as usual for everyone that matters

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

All of which, I don't know, I suppose if you were saying everyone should isolate and mask when they're ill, I'm all for it. It's just that she got lol actually pretty loving snippy with me, and said that I'm acting "anti-government", which is a kind of tic in our relationship where conversations about fairly banal subjects go downhill very quickly and anything I say provokes more and more ire.

you spend every day writing, rightly, polemics against the western regime. you are anti-government. if you think that you're cleverly hiding or compartmentalizing it or whatever, you are wrong. that's always going to produce dynamics like this where even "i am concerned for my wife" gets confused with "i am taking an opportunity to express anti-government sentiment" because you are making her, also rightly, worried and suspicious of why you try to hide these sentiments from her.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This study is making the rounds and I wanted to highlight it, because I don't think the conclusions are true. More specifically I don't think the authors sufficiently isolated the consequences of food intake, versus what follows from lifestyle. There are some inklings of it in the study (e.g. flexitarians that occasionally eat meat, seem to merely test less, as their severity is much higher per case) and I suspect it comes down to some combination of likelihood to mask, eating out and children. The study is from Brazil, during the Omicron wave and while the COVID avatar was in charge.
"Vegetarian and plant-based diets associated with lower incidence of COVID-19"

https://nutrition.bmj.com/content/early/2024/01/02/bmjnph-2023-000629 posted:

Abstract
Objective To evaluate the influence of dietary patterns on the incidence and evolution of COVID-19. We hypothesised that a plant-based diet or a vegetarian diet compared with an omnivorous diet might be associated with a lower incidence of COVID-19 infection and severity in those infected.

Design In this observational study, 702 participants provided information on sociodemographic characteristics, dietary information and COVID-19 outcomes between March and July of 2022. Individuals were divided into two groups based on their dietary habits, omnivorous (n=424) and plant-based (n=278). The plant-based group was further divided into vegetarian and flexitarian subgroups. The groups were compared with respect to the incidence of COVID-19 infection, severity and duration. We used multivariable logistic regression models to evaluate the influence of dietary patterns.

Results Plant-based and vegetarian groups had a higher intake of vegetables, legumes and nuts, and lower intake of dairy and meat. After adjusting for important confounders, such as body mass index, physical activity and pre-existing medical conditions, the plant-based diet and vegetarian group had 39% (OR=0.61, 95% CI 0.44 to 0.85; p=0.003) and 39% (OR 0.61, 95% CI 0.42 to 0.88; p=0.009) lower odds of the incidence of COVID-19 infection, respectively, compared with the omnivorous group. No association was observed between self-reported diets and COVID-19 severity or duration.

Conclusion Plant-based and mainly vegetarian diets were associated with a lower incidence of COVID-19 infection. These dietary patterns may be considered protective against COVID-19 infection.
(..)

Figure 2
Rate of incidence of COVID-19 and severity status according to dietary pattern. Logistic regression models considered as dependent variables: COVID-19 incidence (no as the reference), and severity status (mild as the reference). Model 1 – adjusted for sex (women or men), age (continuous variable in years), ethnicity (white, mixed race, black, Asian or indigenous) and educational level (elementary and high school, university level or postgraduate). Model 2 – adjusted for covariates in model 1 plus smoking status (yes or no), physical activity practice (yes or no) and body mass index (continuous variable in kg/m2). Model 3 – adjusted for covariates in model 2 plus presence of pre-existing medical conditions (yes or no), restriction of personal contact and vaccine (yes or no). Vegetarian group includes vegan and lacto-ovo-vegetarian.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Guys, Bob says we've entered the red zone! :ohdear:
https://twitter.com/Bob_Wachter/status/1744397254113562642
*casually removes mask to munch down on hors d'oeuvres at the gently caress'n'suck*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

Guys, Bob says we've entered the red zone! :ohdear:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
:coolspot::coronatoot::coolspot::coronatoot::coolspot::covidtree::coolspot::coronatoot::coolspot::coronatoot::coolspot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwpn14IE7E

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

No indoor dining, yes indoor eating and drinking, no bullet point even between these two bullet points to make it seem like he forgot or something

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

What is the difference between indoor dining and eating and drinking indoors at a party? I guess I would say waiters, but Bob seems like the kind of guy that goes to parties that have staff. It feels like there’s a cutout for catering here, can the party be located in a restaurant? Is ordering from a menu where the covid happens?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

NeonPunk posted:

I'm assuming that this is a reaction from having far too many staffs calling out sick right when the hospitals are getting slammed hard.

https://twitter.com/longcovresource/status/1744573847599526231

I'm also hearing whole lot of other places hospitals systems getting really overwhelmed, talking about how it's measured in days, not hours, on when you get someone to see you.

That's from the interior health region of b.c., and they are all kinds of hosed even before the pandemic. They have some of the worst healthcare in the province out of all the other regions (except maybe Northern) and lie through their teeth to their staff, patients and families. They're extremely incompetent and routinely gently caress up people's diagnosis and loved to send sick people home when they were on deaths door so they wouldn't die in the hospital. I had to deal with them during the pandemic and I assume whatever the reasons are for stopping RAT is more vile and disgusting than what people are imagining.

If any b.c. residents get sick, I hope you are with coastal or island.

Entorwellian has issued a correction as of 13:13 on Jan 10, 2024

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've seen how US healthcare providers administer RATs in-clinic and, frankly, they might as well stop that too for all the good it does.

It's a half second swab just inside each nostril right? That'll detect it... Right?

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Furiously trying to figure out if this guy makes sports picks or stock tips

https://twitter.com/EliasPseudo/status/1440740788585992198

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Real Mean Queen posted:

What is the difference between indoor dining and eating and drinking indoors at a party?

The fact that you can't tell the difference means you'll never become the Chair of the UCSF Dept of Medicine :colbert:

Meanwhile, let's check in on Bob and see how he's going with that "mask in any crowded indoor space" clause

https://twitter.com/Bob_Wachter/status/1744737014422049048

Uh, might need a little more work on that one as well

Edit: that photo was posted the day after his tweet about the current surge pushing him into his "red zone"

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 13:45 on Jan 10, 2024