Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

Nobody here is accusing anyone of anything. What's hilarious is that a senior politician is publicly interacting with a known troll account called 'el borto', while highlighting how said politician purposefully evaded questions about the APPG visits

100%

That isn't what your tweets showed though?

They just showed some other guy didnt know what a British overseas territory was?

Does being a troll and saying someone is a paedo mean you won't get in trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I will admit singling out the gay MP did give me a bad taste in the mouth. I presume it's because he's extremely online more than his sexuality but the optic of a Wes pisstake account fighting with Bryant does give a bad impression.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

For the record, I had no idea Chris Bryant was gay until people mentioned it in this thread just now

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

fuctifino posted:

Nobody here is accusing anyone of anything.

https://x.com/leo_hutz/status/1744805341592784968?s=20
https://twitter.com/leo_hutz/status/1744815680883511452

These aren't accusing him of anything?

Edit: him being one of (possibly the) most well known gay MPs in the UK does add another layer, but also a random accusation of "X famous person is a paedophile" is proper bottom of the barrel poo poo for anyone

Mesopotamia fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 10, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Mesopotamia posted:

These aren't accusing him of anything?

You said 'we' which I read as implying that you meant people in this thread. You should have written "he" or "they" instead

What is it with this thread and the recent waves of concern trolling?

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Well if we're doing editing work on each other's posts, you shouldn't have posted any of that poo poo.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Mesopotamia posted:

Well if we're doing editing work on each other's posts, you shouldn't have posted any of that poo poo.

Have I edited any of my posts to alter the points made? I often correct typos if that's what you are talking about. Neuro issues makes typing words difficult, so I often have to go in and edit typos or add missing parts of sentences that got lost between my brain and fingers.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Senior politicians publicly conversing with known troll accounts will never stop being funny, no matter what party they come from, what skin colour they have, what gender they are or their sexuality. I can't believe I'm having to type this sentence out on SomethingAwful dot com of all loving places.... but here I am...

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i don't really give a poo poo about bryant (who's a labour MP fwiw) but i've always been unsettled by the tendency to accuse opponents of being child abusers, even it's clearly unserious

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Can't be hosed

Mesopotamia fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 10, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mesopotamia posted:

Ah, we're randomly accusing a gay centrist of being a paedophile who engages in child trafficking but...leftishly?...now. Hilarious.

Yes, it's pretty funny because gently caress Chris Bryant, the melty gently caress.

I mean I'd not do it myself because I don't want to be sued but it's still funny & has nothing to do with his sexuality.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

I didn't realise we had to unmask, I just worked a lot harder at making the mask better.
You don't have to unmask, but a lot of people hit middle age and burn out because of the effort of having to be 'on' all the time and not even realising it.

There's something very refreshing about - after having spent most of your life asking yourself 'god, is it this difficult for everyone' - having a professional tell you 'no, no it very much is not.'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

However please do not announce to family and close friends that on the advice of your doctor you will now "go mask off"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lord Ludikrous posted:

To be honest though didn't we all expect the press to start turning on Starmer despite how much he was cosying up to them as soon as a general election was on the horizon? Regardless of how much merit anecdotes/accusations have, they'll fling enough poo poo in the hope as much sticks as possible.

Yep, doesn't have to be fair, or accurate: shout accusations for long enough and people'll start to assume that there MUST be something in them (example: Jeremy Corbyn).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You don't have to unmask, but a lot of people hit middle age and burn out because of the effort of having to be 'on' all the time and not even realising it.
I do sometimes wonder about the psychology of the anti-mask anti-vax anti-everything people, like the David Ickes and Piers Corbyns of the world.

Which is not at all to say that I think all of those people are autistic, nor that neurodivergent people believe in space lizards, just that "don't have to unmask, but a lot of people hit middle age" also made me think on a tangent about the people who hit a certain age and suddenly start openly going on about the moon landing being a hoax by magic iguanas to force us to eat the pod and wear the mask. Did they always think along those lines and were just quiet in social situations, or did their train of thought suddenly get derailed by illuminati spies putting pennies on the track?

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yep, doesn't have to be fair, or accurate: shout accusations for long enough and people'll start to assume that there MUST be something in them (example: Jeremy Corbyn).
The "he represents criminals" and "he follows the rule of law" attacks are bizarre though. We know both those things are true, and we know that they're part of his job, and we know they're the reason that sensiblists like him, and they're not the bad things about him anyway. It's just constant vice signalling to the people who already think that "human rights" means "EU says Muslim terrorists must get a free house and a million pounds a year."

Which I suppose answers my above, because that's as bad as the cosmic terrapins, it's just supported by higher circulation rags.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I do sometimes wonder about the psychology of the anti-mask anti-vax anti-everything people, like the David Ickes and Piers Corbyns of the world.

Which is not at all to say that I think all of those people are autistic, nor that neurodivergent people believe in space lizards, just that "don't have to unmask, but a lot of people hit middle age" also made me think on a tangent about the people who hit a certain age and suddenly start openly going on about the moon landing be hoax by magic iguanas to force us to eat the pod and wear the mask. Did they always think along those lines and were just quiet in social situations, or did their train of thought suddenly get derailed by illuminati spies putting pennies on the track?

It's social media and observation bias IMO. You're posting on a forum that's tagline is "The Internet Makes You Stupid" and you're telling me you don't believe it?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well the internet made me stupid so I don't know.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

Which is not at all to say that I think all of those people are autistic, nor that neurodivergent people believe in space lizards, just that "don't have to unmask, but a lot of people hit middle age" also made me think on a tangent about the people who hit a certain age and suddenly start openly going on about the moon landing being a hoax by magic iguanas to force us to eat the pod and wear the mask. Did they always think along those lines and were just quiet in social situations, or did their train of thought suddenly get derailed by illuminati spies putting pennies on the track?

Empty nesters who retired comfortably and suddenly have endless free time and can now doomscroll to their hearts content paired with (and sometimes the same people as) those who suddenly found due to their own circumstances during the pandemic that they were able or keen to read the news (or terrible online forums, youtube channels and whatever) more than they had before and fall down those rabbit holes. And potentially due to those changes in circumstances, a change in the kind of people they interact with, and less exposure to people who are less close to them or are a more diverse group.

And, obviously, the restrictions during the pandemic being absolutely horrifying to people who lived in privilege and believed they were Terribly Important so rules shouldn't apply to them.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

but a lot of people hit middle age" also made me think on a tangent about the people who hit a certain age and suddenly start openly going on about the moon landing being a hoax by magic iguanas to force us to eat the pod and wear the mask. Did they always think along those lines and were just quiet in social situations, or did their train of thought suddenly get derailed by illuminati spies putting pennies on the track?
Being middle aged as well, my feeling is that if you don't keep your brain engaged, it starts to turn to pudding about now. In my twenties and 30s I lived in a university town where I was doing a creative writing course, I read a lot, spoke to friends a lot, and I look back on things I did and wrote back then with awe.

Now I live in a comfy house in a little village out of the way of everything, and have spent the last 10 years or so catching up with media and playing videos jame to try and stave off the constant flood of cortisol from horrifying unmedicated anxiety (the root cause of which was not knowing until recently that I had autism, so I was anxious about everything because everything could unexpectedly go wrong for reasons I didn't understand).

I mean cortisol on its own has some pretty horrifying effects on the brain. I think it was you that posted about how bad dental health is linked to minor dementia symptoms. And neuroplasticity decreases with age, so I've always had a pet theory about how that's what makes it so much harder* for older people to learn new things without their brain overloading with cortisol and blocking the process of forming new memories.

* Jaeluni note - harder, not impossible. I think if people keep themselves learning it can counteract this effect, but not a lot of people do keep themselves learning past their youth.

If you consider the average question time thumb man, I think it's a combination of all of that. Love me telly, 'ate dentists, stress makes you 'ard, simple as.

I also wonder if the rise of the more bizarre conspiracy theorising ties into the rise of cocaine use in that demographic - a mind that has absolutely zero critical thinking training accelerated by nose candy, and wildly connecting all the wrong dots, like the pictures of those webs spun by spiders who had been microdosed.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean cortisol on its own has some pretty horrifying effects on the brain. I think it was you that posted about how bad dental health is linked to minor dementia symptoms. And neuroplasticity decreases with age, so I've always had a pet theory about how that's what makes it so much harder* for older people to learn new things without their brain overloading with cortisol and blocking the process of forming new memories.
Cortisol is a motherfucker. I get that it's important to modulate the immune system, but its "not doing great? Let's gently caress up absolutely everything in the body up to reduce your fitness even more!" function is kind of mystifying.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Z the IVth posted:

It's social media and observation bias IMO. You're posting on a forum that's tagline is "The Internet Makes You Stupid" and you're telling me you don't believe it?

People were incredibly stupid before the modern internet, it has simply served to facilitate their stupidity to a far wider audience than would have been possible in a pre Al Gore Tim Berners-Lee society.

I heard a good conspiracy theory recently about a team of ex-special forces operators who travel around the UK doing arson for contract on important or listed buildings, and who are speculated to have carried out some very high profile incendiary attacks in Belfast and Glasgow in recent years.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 10, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

cat botherer posted:

Cortisol is a motherfucker. I get that it's important to modulate the immune system, but its "not doing great? Let's gently caress up absolutely everything in the body up to reduce your fitness even more!" function is kind of mystifying.
I am not a scientist or doctor obviously, but my reading around years ago seemed to show that it actively blocks formation of long term memories in the brain. And in people with poor neuroplasticity, trying to form new neural pathways (i.e. learning new things or thinking in a new way) releases more cortisol, which obviously then further hampers attempts to form new pathways.

E: it can be overcome, and the stress / cortisol diminishes if you keep at learning that thing, but it does make the learning process harder and it definitely cascades as people get older.

E2: I'm aware that this sounds ageist, and not all older people are like this - my point is that if someone doesn't keep their mind active and learning new things then the process becomes much, much harder to break, but it does get harder to break with age.

It's a whole mechanism that explains people getting mad at progress, at having to learn that pronouns aren't just he / she, that you can't use that word anymore dad, your boss is not actually your friend, they've changed how you get your emails etc - basically anything that requires thinking in a new way or understanding a new concept.

E3: someone ages ago said that good critical thinking looks at the evidence and then comes up with theories to explain it, whereas the conspiracy theorists look for (or wildfully misinterpret) evidence to explain the theories they already have. Which would tie into this theory that they don't want to learn anything new, they just want to bolster what they already believe - that they should be allowed to drive everywhere, being straight, white and cisgender is normal, and it's poor peoples fault they're poor. Anything that challenges that is jewish academics putting frogs in the vaccines or whatever.

With stress in general though, there was a reddit thread where an American said they took an elective at college called 'stress' thinking it would be about ways of dealing with it, and instead it was just a ton of hard research about how prolonged stress absolutely destroys your body and mind.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 10, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Being middle aged as well, my feeling is that if you don't keep your brain engaged, it starts to turn to pudding about now. In my twenties and 30s I lived in a university town where I was doing a creative writing course, I read a lot, spoke to friends a lot, and I look back on things I did and wrote back then with awe.

Now I live in a comfy house in a little village out of the way of everything, and have spent the last 10 years or so catching up with media and playing videos jame to try and stave off the constant flood of cortisol from horrifying unmedicated anxiety (the root cause of which was not knowing until recently that I had autism, so I was anxious about everything because everything could unexpectedly go wrong for reasons I didn't understand).

* Jaeluni note - harder, not impossible. I think if people keep themselves learning it can counteract this effect, but not a lot of people do keep themselves learning past their youth.

If you consider the average question time thumb man, I think it's a combination of all of that. Love me telly, 'ate dentists, stress makes you 'ard, simple as.

I also wonder if the rise of the more bizarre conspiracy theorising ties into the rise of cocaine use in that demographic - a mind that has absolutely zero critical thinking training accelerated by nose candy, and wildly connecting all the wrong dots, like the pictures of those webs spun by spiders who had been microdosed.

Continual learning doesn't prevent eg alzheimers but it can mitigate the affects because you are using more of your brain and I guess developing alternative pathways for the neurons to fire down (up, along?). One of the reasons for cutting my work hours is so I can have time to expand the range of things I cover as I feel my brain getting stale - an 18 hour work week wasn't working for me as it tends to drag into every day of the week with 'just check this, just check that' sucked into emails - I just set my link to my work outlook to open in the calendar view not the email view so I can just check a meeting date without getting sucked into the emails. As an eg I just started tutoring A-level maths again, so I do the A-level papers before I set them for the student. There are a handful of courses I've signed up for over the past 3-4 years that I simply have not had time to work on which cover assorted unrelated topics of interest (not a degree, just a bunch of online short courses say 2-6 months).

Interesting case which I can't find a link to right now. It was a medical doc or a professor or similar who went to his GP and said he thought he had alzheimers because things he had previously done with ease he was now struggling with - but he was still far out-performing most other people who didn't have alzheimers in various cognitive tasks.
After he died, his post-mortem did indeed show the platelets in the brain indicative of alzheimers. I mean look at Terry Pratchett. I remember sitting near him at breakfast one time, back in the 1990s at an Octarine convention, and him and this other guy were just so on the ball, coming up with ideas non-stop at BREAKFAST - my brain doesn't get up until several hours after my body and definitely not at breakfast time. I saw that documentary on him and the first sign he realized he had trouble was being unable to find S on his keyboard.

I continually scan myself for signs (eg I've got very bad at remembering names in the last couple of years so frantically googling that!) partly because as a single person with no descendants, if I were to get dementia, to whom will responsibility for my care fall? My siblings and I all fall within a 4 year age range. My nephews and nieces will have no obligations towards me.

To be fair, most of the old dears who live in these flats (in their 80s) do keep active both physically and mentally, serving on committees for charities, churches, etc. and there's only one with probably mild dementia - she gets very confused, tries to make phone calls using the tv remote, can't tell the difference between morning and evening, but other days functions fine - she is 94 - but there's another 94 year old lives here and he has no mental problems, just in physical pain a lot which almost certain makes him too tired to think of much else though he did send the labour party canvasser away with a flea in his ear. The thing that terrifies most of them is the internet.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GBNewsSpin/status/1745093018510614828

:allears:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 11, 2024

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pistol_Pete posted:

See also Batmanghelidjh: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/jan/09/the-hidden-life-of-camila-batmanghelidjh-why-was-her-exoneration-so-widely-ignored

(Yeah, I know it's a G-word article. It's still good.)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

To be fair, most of the old dears who live in these flats (in their 80s) do keep active both physically and mentally, serving on committees for charities, churches, etc. and there's only one with probably mild dementia - she gets very confused, tries to make phone calls using the tv remote, can't tell the difference between morning and evening, but other days functions fine - she is 94 - but there's another 94 year old lives here and he has no mental problems, just in physical pain a lot which almost certain makes him too tired to think of much else though he did send the labour party canvasser away with a flea in his ear. The thing that terrifies most of them is the internet.
That's what I mean, there are people in their 40s and 50s who are less flexible mentally than some 70 and 80 year olds, because they don't keep themselves learning. I can feel this process starting with me already.

Many years ago there was something on (Watchdog I think?) with Harry Enfield's dad - they did a 'brain age' test and found he was as agile as a 30 year old at 60, which he put down to doing the crossword every day.

To go back to Guavanaut's original point, I personally believe that this learning trap, the process of established patterns solidifying starts to kick in for most people in their 40s and fifties, which is where you start to get this gammon rage at the changing world kicking in.

There are other factors as well of course - entitled generations raised on Thatcherism and Blairism who got literally everything they wanted at the expense of future generations, and now the protagonists of reality are mad at not being the main character any more.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

What happened to her and her charity was unforgiveable.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I swear the best depression therapy in the world for me is feeding the robins in the park. Day #3 and King Eric is already eating out of my hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrbfimRIlxY

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
replace all programming on gb news with a pair of goose steeping legs in front of an england flag, to Entry of the Gladiators and there would be no change in viewing figures imo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
have a test card showing thatcher wafting away a cheeky queef and they'd actually go up

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

keep punching joe posted:

I heard a good conspiracy theory recently about a team of ex-special forces operators who travel around the UK doing arson for contract on important or listed buildings, and who are speculated to have carried out some very high profile incendiary attacks in Belfast and Glasgow in recent years.

Well, there's someone who's going round setting fire to all these listed buildings that are in the way of developers and not getting caught.

The biggest stumbling point to it being a squad of super-arsonists is that if they're sufficiently visible for property developers to be able to contact them and buy their services, they're also visible enough for the police to find them.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

There are lots of things which contribute to cognitive decline.

One I learned of recently which I was quite surprised about is uncorrected hearing problems. Apparently the theory is something like: if you have hearing issues and don't wear hearing aids consistently, then your brain is constantly struggling/stressing to process muffled auditory signals which is very taxing.

Another possibly surprising one is social isolation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's what I mean, there are people in their 40s and 50s who are less flexible mentally than some 70 and 80 year olds, because they don't keep themselves learning. I can feel this process starting with me already.
I think the lifelong learning thing is probably right. I re-read a bunch of old books by the biologist Jack Cohen over the holidays and he wrote a bit about personal vs analytical thinking (without being so arrogant as to suggest that his facts are better than your feelings, his move from wanting to be a rabbi to becoming an embryologist gave him an appreciation for both) and he was of the opinion that forcing yourself to switch modes several times by careful wide study is a key to ethical development.

Funnily enough wrt the teeth thing also I went to the dentist today for a check, and he was talking about how he was doing a study course on new methods in root canals. Obviously it's part of the job of a good dentist to keep that up, but that kind of thing would make for an interesting differential of "people who keep studying at a high level which includes both analysis and caring" vs "people who check out and dissolve into a GBnews or martian newt shaped outrage puddle."

crispix posted:

replace all programming on gb news with a pair of goose
:yeah:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

There are lots of things which contribute to cognitive decline.

One I learned of recently which I was quite surprised about is uncorrected hearing problems. Apparently the theory is something like: if you have hearing issues and don't wear hearing aids consistently, then your brain is constantly struggling/stressing to process muffled auditory signals which is very taxing.

Another possibly surprising one is social isolation.

Definitely (the hearing loss one).

Actually, I thought I wrote that in my post above but obviously not! My dad and a friend with severe hearing loss both said how draining it was continually trying to keep track of conversations that sounded muffled to them (and hearing aids weren't necessarily a great fix) and how by evening time, they pretty much give up trying.

I've seen the same effect with people who aren't native speakers of the language of the ambient conversation and also experienced it myself when spending very long days with Arabic-speaking friends who forget to speak English (and why should they?) as the day wears on. I get to the evening and I'm just nodding and saying hamdulilah or inshallah as the tone of the conversation warrants without actually understanding much of what's being said.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's really remarkable how differently people age. I've met people in their 70s who seem mentally and physically 30 years younger, and folks in their early 60s who seem like they might die of general old age any second. Environment and activity seem to play a huge part. One of my grandmothers was fit and mentally active well into her 90s (also a crossword fan), until she had to go live in a nursing home in a different town after taking a fall and breaking her hip (for the second time, having survived doing the same thing in her 80s). Until then she had been living in her own house, doing her own shopping, surrounded by neighbours and friends in the village she had lived for 70+ years. Over 6 months in the home her faculties declined rapidly and she died. Who knows, she might have been going to go out around then no matter what and I'm sure a major break at that age didn't help, but it felt hard for me not to draw the conclusion that the change in living conditions had something significant to do with it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I just looked it up and apparently one in three adults over age *50* die within the 12 months following a broken hip, and even if they don't, they have an increased risk of death for ~10 years after.

Apparently immobility can lead to pneumonia which can be a very direct correlation, but yeah there must be tons of factors including the change in living circumstances (going into care etc.) that often comes with such a big traumatic break, plus complications from surgery and medical procedures, plus just the direct physical and mental stress and inflammation that comes with healing from such an injury.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1745075467609112952

El Borto hasn't been arrested yet. It looks like he's doubling down:

https://twitter.com/leo_hutz/status/1745162984337359270

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Was Maxwell not the British Maxwell?