Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I remember years ago when the Angels made a big deal about how their stadium had low concession prices. That chart means their beers are $17.50 each. :psyduck:

"Alcoholic beverages" does a lot of work there. Maybe they buy a lot of cocktails. Not that I expect the beers are lower than like $14 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

"Alcoholic beverages" does a lot of work there. Maybe they buy a lot of cocktails. Not that I expect the beers are lower than like $14 or so.

Angels Stadium has beers for like $5 and up (that's Miller Lite, though.) They actually have really good concession choices, it's the highlight of the park imo.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Maybe he's good pals with Seiya. If not yet, he will be. :3:

Leave it to the Cubs to sign a flyball pitcher to pair with their gold glove infield defense.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Legitimately shocked the Cubs did something.

Shota seems cool, although I expect a lot of mid-summer dingers will piss people off. Having the Professor and The Throwing Philosopher on the same team is cool, though. Hopefully someone makes a shirt I can buy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Imanaga is a low velo guy who works up in the zone so yeah I'm not surprised that leads to an elevated amount of dingers. That said he's also consistently posted pretty low ERA's, strikes a lot of guys out, and doesn't walk many, so if most of them are solo shots it's not that big of a deal. Likewise the Cubs also have Steele who's similarly a lefty working up in the zone with a low 90's FB with lots of run and he led all qualified NL starters in the lowest HR/9 allowed last year, and has allowed just 22 over his last 292 IP. Obviously Steele and Imanaga are not a 1:1 comp because of this but it may be the Cubs figure that whatever they did with Steele to help him suppress the longball can be applied to Imanaga as well.

Feel free to quote this post in July when Shota's got like a 3 HR/9 and laugh at me.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the Cubs moved quickly on Shota yesterday because they received word that the bears were going to do something totally insane today and needed to get 15 minutes of local radio coverage.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

tadashi posted:

Leave it to the Cubs to sign a flyball pitcher to pair with their gold glove infield defense.

Settle down mcmagic.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Wow! This sounds like it's Bad For Baseball

(I hope we find out it was the Giants and Grant Brisbee's mentions spin out of control)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That sounds like something his agent would say

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Wow! This sounds like it's Bad For Baseball

(I hope we find out it was the Giants and Grant Brisbee's mentions spin out of control)

Wow look at this so called Goliath team fan being scared about those Chicago Cubs stockpiling talent :smuggo:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

euphronius posted:

That sounds like something his agent would say
Why would his agent admit he couldn't get the player's preferred team to even come close to matching the highest offer?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The Throwing Philosopher no doubt heard tales of Wrigley's incredible spirit from Yu Darvish and had to investigate

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Probably met Morel and is now excited to tear his shirt off at every opportunity.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
I found the new market inefficiency. If you want to win.....

Sign a bunch of talented players. Someone call Jed.

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticMLB/status/1745073143151251474?t=KcWLmnfVffMlg9dNOmR1PQ&s=19

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

somebody got paid for this detailed analysis

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's Keith Law

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Eno Sarris did his writeup in The Athletic on Shota as well which more or less amounted to "elite fastball, plus slider and splitter, but the other pitches kinda suck and he'll need to throw his splitter more in MLB to round out his arsenal."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sounds like a reliever in the majors

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's Keith Law

Someone pays Keith Law?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If 1 Imanaga increases the Cubs playoff chances what happens if we add 10 Imanagas?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

ScottyJSno posted:

I found the new market inefficiency. If you want to win.....

Sign a bunch of talented players. Someone call Jed.

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticMLB/status/1745073143151251474?t=KcWLmnfVffMlg9dNOmR1PQ&s=19

This is the most relaxed pitch face I’ve ever seen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sounds like a reliever in the majors

Three plus pitches sounds like a reliever? Do we watch the same sport?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I guess I'm skeptical the splitter is really that great if he doesn't throw it much. If all you throw mostly is fastball/slider then you're probably either Spencer Strider or a reliever.

I don't follow NPB at all and don't really know anything about the guy though so if you say the slider and splitter are both legit plus MLB pitches I believe you

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It sounds more like he was able to get away with being a kitchen sink guy in the NPB but in MLB he's gonna get punished a lot harder for throwing lesser pitches and will need to reduce his curve/cutter usage of which the splitter will need to make up the difference.

Granted it's not like Imanaga wouldn't be the first primarily two pitch starter for the Cubs. They already have two of them now in Steele and Hendricks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah after I posted that I started thinking about it and there may actually be more starters who pretty much throw two pitches in MLB now than there have been since the 1880s, as the distinction between a starter and a reliever weakens by the year.

There has definitely been a shift in the methodology of training/coaching SPs away from "throw a mix of 4 pitches and keep the hitters off balance" to "just throw your 2 really good pitches as hard as you can".

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

It sounds more like he was able to get away with being a kitchen sink guy in the NPB but in MLB he's gonna get punished a lot harder for throwing lesser pitches and will need to reduce his curve/cutter usage of which the splitter will need to make up the difference.

Granted it's not like Imanaga wouldn't be the first primarily two pitch starter for the Cubs. They already have two of them now in Steele and Hendricks.

Hendricks has 2 pitches, but they're really 4 pitches. Two different fastballs and two different changeups.

I miss when he threw his curve a lot more often.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Well Played Mauer posted:

This is the most relaxed pitch face I’ve ever seen.

not surprising that this is the face of The Throwing Philosopher

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
TBH it doesn't even matter how good or bad he is for this money
https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1745244274935869825

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ChiTownEddie posted:

Holy moly unless he absolutely faceplants this is highway robbery.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Insane deal.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Now the Cubs can use that savings to Meaningfully improve the team fund a no hope Republican campaign in 8 states

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankees are really going to sign Stroman? I guess I can live with a 1 year deal but that better be all and it also better be along with another starter.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

ChiTownEddie posted:

so it's either a 2 year deal for 27ish million, or 5 year deal for 80, but it's loving great in this market either way

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Well it’s still 4 for 53 if he is blah

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Even with the posting fee (not counting against the luxury tax) every outcome of this deal is fine to great. Lots of space for say, ANOTHER SIGNING.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ChiTownEddie posted:

Even with the posting fee (not counting against the luxury tax) every outcome of this deal is fine to great. Lots of space for say, ANOTHER SIGNING.

I hear Cody Bellinger is still available

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lest we forget, this is peak 80s hair right here

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

ChiTownEddie posted:

I really want to hear what the Giants and Angels were offering that he went with that from Chicago.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Give me Jordan Montgomery and Cody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
gently caress the cubs i hope shota sucks rear end!