Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Serious_Cyclone posted:

:yooge: I will give my own closing arguments, the most perfect closing arguments I am a closer

Judge: Can you keep your comments relevant to this trial?

:yooge: RIGGED AND STOLLEN WITCH-HUNT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kazil posted:

thanks, I'll give it a go, though on desktop it doesn't make it as obvious that some are videos

Can I just say that I prefer the previous style of tweet linking + screenshotting because if you do it all in one like this, it means the embed doesn't work and you have to click through to hellsite to watch the video. Or quote the text, etc

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

mystes posted:

They should just agree that trump can give the closing argument but engoron gets to listen to music on his earphones and play candy crush while trump does that

That, or just point a dead camera at Trump and tell him he’s live on TV, then let him rant and rave until he tires out while everyone else just heads home.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Donald Trump is incapable of limiting the scope of his statements.

mystes
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

Donald Trump is incapable of limiting the scope of his statements.
he definitely is but also the whole reason he wanted to deliver the closing arguments himself was probably to have an opportunity to talk about stuff that was 100% irrelevant anyway

Also I don't know how this poo poo works but imagine that closing arguments have got to be less important with a judge whose job it is to keep track of all the arguments anyway than a jury that's going to go with the last persuasive argument they heard and forget everything else

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

StrangersInTheNight posted:

exactly - in retrospect, The Daily Show was just capitalizing on a trend of the time and we were so eager to go along with it, we ate it up and naively called it resistance.

but it was just giving us exactly what we wanted to see, which was someone mocking these guys - we were the ones who convinced ourselves this counted as change, so that we wouldn't have to get up off our couches.
From a while back, but who is "we"? Just because you were really naive in the early 2000s doesn't mean many a lot of other people saw the show that way.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
The only thing Trump loves as much as himself is a platform to tell everyone how great he is/how much someone else sucks.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

So hot right now!

For someone who claims to be so vehemently opposed to gender affirming surgery she sure seems to get a lot.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Trump literally doesn't understand what he did wrong when it comes to this trial, all he knows is that he has spent decades lying about nearly everything but also no one cares until now. He honestly thinks fraud is a normal part of business. It would be absolutely insane for his lawyers to let him speak

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

TRUMP did everything right and they refused to let me speak! Gag order! Political witch hunt!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

Trump literally doesn't understand what he did wrong when it comes to this trial, all he knows is that he has spent decades lying about nearly everything but also no one cares until now. He honestly thinks fraud is a normal part of business. It would be absolutely insane for his lawyers to let him speak

Oh absolutely.

But it'd be funnier than hell.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Infinitum posted:

One job lawyers have is to protect their client from themselves

Your Favourite President(Me) would have gone on histories dumbest closing argument and harmed his own case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

I'm aware of this.

My read on the situation is that Trump wanted to do closing arguments, the judge said "ok but stick to talking about this case," his lawyers objected to that, and the judge said "forget it." I could be misinterpreting.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

mystes posted:

Also I don't know how this poo poo works but imagine that closing arguments have got to be less important with a judge whose job it is to keep track of all the arguments anyway than a jury that's going to go with the last persuasive argument they heard and forget everything else

I’d imagine it would be time to get in front of the judge and ask for forgiveness and leniency in the case of monetary damages, etc. Trump, however, is incapable of admitting he’s wrong so in the worst case he’d just rant about the election, cheating or whatever and in the best case (for us) he’d attack Engoron directly and call him a leftist shill to his face, resulting in an even larger fine.

In the case of your client being a narcissistic moron with a middle-school education and a god complex fed by idiot cultists, it’s probably for the best for them.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

funeral home DJ posted:

In the case of your client being a narcissistic moron with a middle-school education and a god complex fed by idiot cultists, it’s probably for the best for them.

Yeah but not for us, which is what I care about

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Escape From Noise posted:

So hot right now!

For someone who claims to be so vehemently opposed to gender affirming surgery she sure seems to get a lot.

In the GOP/Right-Wing world, women are not allowed to be old or look old. Trump likes his women young and therefore all MAGA/Right-wing women should look as if they are just a divorce or two away from being Trump’s next wife.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A closing argument is a summing of your presentation of the case and while there's definitely variance and leeway depending on the type of case, the venue, and the particular judge, there's simply no loving way Trump can stick to a script that's germane and short enough to not make everyone there wish for death.

He'd absolutely try to reargue the entire case, go off on random tangents, and take multiple days. Every possible faux pas with this kind of thing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1745149687168958932

:lol:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Isn't surgery that makes you look like an androgynous cyborg the opposite of gender-affirming?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ringo Star Get posted:

In the GOP/Right-Wing world, women are not allowed to be old or look old. Trump likes his women young and therefore all MAGA/Right-wing women should look as if they are just a divorce or two away from being Trump’s next wife.

no, Laura Loomer got all that surgery because she's obsessed with not looking Jewish so she can pick up on Nazis

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Loomer looked a lot better before she started getting work done to try and morph into whatever she thought the ideal was.

Some people get plastic surgery and do look better afterwards, but I'm guessing they have some combination of better doctors and better taste.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Neito posted:

I think it's interesting, to use this as a jumping-off point, that this has started to spread to other conspiracies. Prior to this, especially in the 90s with the Militia stuff and even in the 2000s with Loose Change, conspiracies were about action, in some form: those in power cannot be trusted, and it's up to Us, those in the know, the awakened, to protect the sheeple and fight against the Conspirators.

Post-Q conspiracies seem to almost be the oposite; that by Doing Nothing, by Trusting the Plan, we can bring about the revolution. "Bitcoin can make me rich", "Q and Trump will save the world", "Ryan Cohen is going to help us usher in a brand new economy helmed by apes". It's a weird change, and I'm not sure what it means beyond that, but it's interesting.

I think it may just be laziness. Americans have always had a lazy streak a mile wide, it's the get-rich-quick mentality that we've had since the first colonists rode the unclaimed-land-in-the-new-world, buy-yourself-a-slave, free-land-in-oklahoma, gold-in-california waves that have come in succession decade after decade after decade.

This country was founded on the idea that the Good Life is out there somewhere, free for the taking, if you only know where to look. Framed differently, it's the idea that the Good Life is only being withheld from you because you're not privy to whatever secret information is letting the Joneses next door get it. So Americans love to look for the One Weird Trick that has been eluding them ever since they first got bamboozled into homesteading in the land of milk and honey by a floridly-printed handbill in Kansas City and ended up eating their loving family on a frozen lake in the Sierras.

Today what that looks like is playing the stock market. It's hawking NFTs. It's running an Etsy shop. It's Alcor, that company that will freeze your brain in liquid nitrogen until someday we invent a way to revive you. All you have to do is put in a modest sum of cash into this interest-bearing account *coughthatwecontrolcough* and don't worry, in ten thousand years it will have ballooned into untold billions and you will awaken into a life of unimaginable riches. It's easy! Just sign here.

Political action used to mean going out in the streets and protesting, fighting, resisting, dying. In the age of social media it's memeing. Facebook grandpas and grandmas think they've uncovered the arcane secrets of the Internet that we all figured out at age 17, and while most of us have outgrown the sense of novelty and the idea of endless possibilities inherent in a connected, always-on, instantaneous world and have become inured to the pernicious tendencies of those very same technological wonders, the olds and the dullards are still enraptured by it. They still think they can change the world by posting how they're thinking about thos Beans;.

So they find their weird little online cliques. They wend their way to 5.9chan and that subreddit from the hashtag on someone's pickup truck, and they trick themselves into thinking they've got their e-ticket because all their cool online friends think so too. They have their injokes, their running bits, their exclusionary language, their made-up slurs for outsiders. And most of all they think that by typing in the little text box they're fighting a war.

They elected Trump because he promised to make them rich. Well, not in so many words, but they KNEW he would. He's Donald Trump! How can he NOT make everyone rich? He obviously knows how! And if we support him, if we type enough words into the text box, if we post enough AI memes of him, if we send $45 to his campaign (Jim? wasn't that a one-time donation? Why did they charge us again this month?) surely he'll recognize me as one of his greatest supporters! I'll have it made in the shade! The Joneses, psshh, what idiots. They have no idea. Look at them over there, in their backyard laughing, grilling, kids jumping on the trampoline. I hate them so much

True that prior millenial cults required some commitment to action. You'd better have been prepared to die when the Hale-Bopp comet came by, or when the Rev passed around the cups of Flavor-Aid. You knew that going in. But today all that is irrelevant. All you have to do is :justpost: and TRUST THE PLAN :nsa: But I don't think it's anything particularly new in the DNA of the country. Just the synthesis of our twin tendencies to look for the quick fix, and to believe comforting, flattering, unsourced anecdotes over inconvenient data.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

lol the real issue is he threatened to drag Trump’s rear end out of court if he didn’t comply

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Loomer looked a lot better before she started getting work done to try and morph into whatever she thought the ideal was.

Some people get plastic surgery and do look better afterwards, but I'm guessing they have some combination of better doctors and better taste.

There's a pretty big margin between "I want my features slightly changed" and "I want an entirely different looking face"
One will probably get you good results, the other...

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Other than the cost of everyone's time and patience, is there any cost associated with letting Trump bloviate for as long as he wants in lieu of a closing statement?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Isn't surgery that makes you look like an androgynous cyborg the opposite of gender-affirming?

Her gender might be bog witch.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1745136868482822594?s=20

I really want this (self-evident truth) to become a bigger part of the discourse honestly. Hey journos! Start acting like the GOP is a religious cult because frankly, they are.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Other than the cost of everyone's time and patience, is there any cost associated with letting Trump bloviate for as long as he wants in lieu of a closing statement?

The judge is sick of his bullshit and doesn’t have to put up with it anymore.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

lol the real issue is he threatened to drag Trump’s rear end out of court if he didn’t comply

Trump: I completely lack the ability of self-control to conduct myself in accordance with basic courtroom decorum
Also Trump: I should possess the highest state secrets and access to nuclear weapons.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I'm going to guess that the less Engoron pushes back on those arguments, the more they get to argue on appeal that they were unjustly ignored. If Engoron snips that poo poo in the bud, then they have to argue against said snipping instead of just handwaving at not taking things into consideration.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The judge is sick of his bullshit and doesn’t have to put up with it anymore.

Right, I think that fits into the "cost of everyone's time and patience" part. I'm just curious if it actually does any material harm to the case if he's allowed to marathon burp into a microphone instead of talk about the case

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Aramis posted:

I'm going to guess that the less Engoron pushes back on those arguments, the more they get to argue on appeal that they were unjustly ignored. If Engoron snips that poo poo in the bud, then they have to argue against said snipping instead of just handwaving at not taking things into consideration.

This seems counterintuitive, but granted I'm not a lawyer. It seems like the more Engoron pushes back on those arguments, the more they get to argue on appeal that they were unjustly ignored.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Prettz posted:

From a while back, but who is "we"? Just because you were really naive in the early 2000s doesn't mean many a lot of other people saw the show that way.

I do not mean literally we, me and the poster. I mean we, the generation of people who blame The Daily Show for not doing enough or in general blame it for bearing some sort of responsibility for not pushing back enough against the GOP. While I myself never held this view, and you may not have either, it was a fairly popular reaction in 2016 to blame The Daily Show for having a part in Trump.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Trump: I completely lack the ability of self-control to conduct myself in accordance with basic courtroom decorum
Also Trump: I should possess the highest state secrets and access to nuclear weapons.

Remember when people took pictures with the guy carrying the nuclear football as Trump talked with Abe about confidential national security information about a North Korean missile test in the public dining room at Mar-a-Lago. And people posted pics of it on social media? Lol.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Trump, like many sociopathic idiots in legal trouble believes that he can get an unfavorable outcome thrown out by showing that the judge was biased against him as the result of his outrageous behavior that the judge has admonished. This is not a thing but many people have tried and will continue to try it.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I do not mean literally we, me and the poster. I mean we, the generation of people who blame The Daily Show for not doing enough or in general blame it for bearing some sort of responsibility for not pushing back enough against the GOP. While I myself never held this view, and you may not have either, it was a fairly popular reaction in 2016 to blame The Daily Show for having a part in Trump.

the rally to restore sanity was cringe, fail, and l, and because of it jon stewart deserves any hate he gets

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BigglesSWE posted:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1745136868482822594?s=20

I really want this (self-evident truth) to become a bigger part of the discourse honestly. Hey journos! Start acting like the GOP is a religious cult because frankly, they are.

LMAO

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Hunter is actually so cool, it drives the GOP crazy. 2024 is the year of the Hunter

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Justice system does not have enough resources to process the all of the self incriminating statements.

Also, let's be real: he's gonna rant and rave about the most random poo poo, plead innocence, whine about unfair it is. He might even make veiled threats or other inciteful comments his followers might want to act on.

The judge doesn't have to put up with that poo poo.

And you know what? De-Platforming works.

For someone who claims to be so vehemently opposed to gender affirming surgery she sure seems to get a lot

How long does it take Lara Loomwer to change a light by bulb? Am hour>? Their ??? There Gender? 🤣🤣🤣

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Hunter is actually so cool, it drives the GOP crazy. 2024 is the year of the Hunter

YUUGE hog, folks! WAY too big!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I can't think of many leftist takes stupider than "The Daily Show was the problem"