Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Can you connect two different types of controllers at once? E g an xbox controller and a switch pro controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Can you connect two different types of controllers at once? E g an xbox controller and a switch pro controller?
Yeah, I've had an 8bitdo in Xinput mode, a Dualshock 4, a third-party Switch pro controller, one of the official Switch SNES controllers, and at least one wired Logitech Xinput gamepad all connected simultaneously, Steam Input does not give a single poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pretty sure at this point I have 6 controllers paired to my Deck.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I saw a video on this and wanted to share a good idea that I saw - they specifically recommend you actively try to use different types of controllers if you can so it's much easier figuring out which one is which by name in the config menus rather than identical controllers which all would have the same name :galaxybrain:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, a ps5 controller really makes the couch gaming experience on the deck a lot nicer. Even after only a couple of sessions with the gyro as mouse for shooters I'm seeing the light on that. And the touchpad makes using some pc strategy games much nicer to use.

Not an enormous fan on the side-by-side thumbsticks, but gyro as thumbstick largely obviates that, at least for shooters.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, a ps5 controller really makes the couch gaming experience on the deck a lot nicer. Even after only a couple of sessions with the gyro as mouse for shooters I'm seeing the light on that. And the touchpad makes using some pc strategy games much nicer to use.

Not an enormous fan on the side-by-side thumbsticks, but gyro as thumbstick largely obviates that, at least for shooters.

Map the touchpad to a rectangular mouse region and you can have it match your screen 1:1 for mouse pointer stuff. It rules.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/tdeckverse/status/1745115049511866871?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

I guess that’s the first non-Steam Deck to ship with SteamOS. That’s pretty good news.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that’s fantastic, I was really hoping this would happen

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Dude that is so cool.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

I guess that’s the first non-Steam Deck to ship with SteamOS. That’s pretty good news.
I was going to say "no trackpads!" but it's more of a "no trackpads?"

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Bought Forza Horizon 4 on sale because it looked cozy and after some difficulties getting by the Microsoft account sign up, it runs incredibly well. High at 50-60 fps?! How?!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Suburban Dad posted:

Only VS and Brotato have really worked for me from that genre. I've tried quite a few others but usually the art or the visuals (to the detriment of gameplay) usually ruin them for me. In 20 minutes till dawn and boneraiser minions for instance I can't see poo poo and it's hard to tell what is my attack vs. enemy attacks sometimes.

I forgot about and may revisit 20 Minutes 'til Dawn (I liked the color contrast there), but yeah Boneraiser was too hard to visually parse and had too many clicky bits that weren't blow dudes up.

Something about traps maybe?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hammer Bro. posted:

I forgot about and may revisit 20 Minutes 'til Dawn (I liked the color contrast there), but yeah Boneraiser was too hard to visually parse and had too many clicky bits that weren't blow dudes up.

I forgot almost all my time (6 hours?) with it.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Bought Forza Horizon 4 on sale because it looked cozy and after some difficulties getting by the Microsoft account sign up, it runs incredibly well. High at 50-60 fps?! How?!

This was a great play. Anytime I put the deck to sleep playing it would never reconnect to the servers without rebooting the game. That was the only annoyance for me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yeah I bounced off of Boneraiser hard.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Subjunctive posted:

that’s fantastic, I was really hoping this would happen

Yeah, I would loving love it if SteamOS becomes a standard. I honestly don't even care if we see weird OEM forks like with Android and Samsung, I just want Windows to get dethroned as the default, expected environment for PC gaming.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Anbernic Win600 did too.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Forza Horizon 4 came out on the Xbox One.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Has anyone set up Ubisoft connect on the Deck? I have some Assassins Creed games I got free but you have to use their stupid launcher

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Medullah posted:

Has anyone set up Ubisoft connect on the Deck? I have some Assassins Creed games I got free but you have to use their stupid launcher

Yeah it’s fine. I’ve only needed to do it once and it worked.

Are they on steam or just on the ubi launcher?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Medullah posted:

Oh god this is extremely timely, I'm dealing with this myself right now.

Specifically I'm trying to play rear end Creed Revelations (aka AssCreed 2 pt 3) and the problem seems to be that the version that the deck is pulling is still bundled with the defunct UPlay launcher. I can get it to work fine on my desktop, but i can't do the login poo poo on the deck because of the wrong launcher.

Irritatingly something about it is also making the deck controls not recognize when I stream it from the desktop to the deck. Haven't had that problem in any other games.

edit: all of this in Steam, haven't tried connecting directly to Ubi. But Ubi's one of those annoying fucks that makes you use their launcher from inside steam.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh god this is extremely timely, I'm dealing with this myself right now.

Specifically I'm trying to play rear end Creed Revelations (aka AssCreed 2 pt 3) and the problem seems to be that the version that the deck is pulling is still bundled with the defunct UPlay launcher. I can get it to work fine on my desktop, but i can't do the login poo poo on the deck because of the wrong launcher.

Irritatingly something about it is also making the deck controls not recognize when I stream it from the desktop to the deck. Haven't had that problem in any other games.

edit: all of this in Steam, haven't tried connecting directly to Ubi. But Ubi's one of those annoying fucks that makes you use their launcher from inside steam.

Do you have a newer UBI game to install maybe? I’ve been playing immortals, the division, far cry and they all launch fine.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it’s fine. I’ve only needed to do it once and it worked.

Are they on steam or just on the ubi launcher?

I don't have them in Steam, just Ubisoft (actually completely forgot I had them).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Medullah posted:

I don't have them in Steam, just Ubisoft (actually completely forgot I had them).

Probably need to use Heroic or Lutris at that point.

Once I installed it and logged in the launcher has worked across all of the games I’ve tried.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Once I installed it and logged in the launcher has worked across all of the games I’ve tried.

I have Heroic but I don't see Ubisoft as an option, guess I can try Lutris.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Do you have a newer UBI game to install maybe? I’ve been playing immortals, the division, far cry and they all launch fine.

I'll give FC5 a shot in the name of science, but I suspect it's just a problem with no one updating the old games to not use the defunct ubi app.

Which is weirdly deck-specific, because installed on my desktop it fires up the modern ubi app.

MarcusSA posted:

MarcusSA posted:

What's the deal on Heroic vs. Lutris? I should probably set one up just to get access to all my GoG games. Is one notably better than the other, broader compatibility, something else?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll give FC5 a shot in the name of science, but I suspect it's just a problem with no one updating the old games to not use the defunct ubi app.

Which is weirdly deck-specific, because installed on my desktop it fires up the modern ubi app.

Yeah I’m not sure what the issue could be because it’s worked fine on both my LED then my OLED after I logged in.

quote:

What's the deal on Heroic vs. Lutris? I should probably set one up just to get access to all my GoG games. Is one notably better than the other, broader compatibility, something else?

I honestly don’t know. I use heroic and it’s fine but some people swear by Lutris.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
1. How does AssCreeValHal run on the Deck?

2. If I own it through Epic, can Lutris install it?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/tdeckverse/status/1745115049511866871?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

I wonder how many more systems are going to adopt it just to avoid dev time and costs?

Very happy to see it either way.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I’m not sure what the issue could be because it’s worked fine on both my LED then my OLED after I logged in.

FC5 works, eventually. Had to restart it a few times to work out some kinks with the ubi launcher but it all sorted itself out. The one annoying hang up is there's some Ubisoft pop over notice about needing to upgrade my graphics card drivers that I can't figure out how to dismiss, but I didn't really care enough to run that down because I'm uninstalling it now anyway. Game launches, fired up an old save, everything seems to be fine.

Interestingly it did try to start up UPlay at first, but then it did an update and correctly launched their new launcher.

AC: Revelations gets hung up on UPlay, saying it can't connect. Which makes sense because that service is dead. I'll post a pic in a second.

Meanwhile it works fine on the desktop. Zero problem launching and playing there.

Edit:

choosing to go offline does nothing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think I had a similar issue with AC: Black Flag, you have to do a bit of desktop mode fuckery

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nice!

Interesting they picked a Lite device to do this on. Bet they're keenly aware of the efficiency gains from switching to SteamOS.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Isn't getting proper Vulkan HDR streaming on an open platform a big deal? Think Moonlight doing that is a first, afaik.

Also, since the mobile device market is already big I can imagine some devices swap from janky Android builds to SteamOS once the min specs become cheap enough.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The touchpad is the only reason I use a PS5 controller but I also refuse to Use an Xbox controller now

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Cyrano4747 posted:

FC5 works, eventually. Had to restart it a few times to work out some kinks with the ubi launcher but it all sorted itself out. The one annoying hang up is there's some Ubisoft pop over notice about needing to upgrade my graphics card drivers that I can't figure out how to dismiss, but I didn't really care enough to run that down because I'm uninstalling it now anyway. Game launches, fired up an old save, everything seems to be fine.

Interestingly it did try to start up UPlay at first, but then it did an update and correctly launched their new launcher.

AC: Revelations gets hung up on UPlay, saying it can't connect. Which makes sense because that service is dead. I'll post a pic in a second.

Meanwhile it works fine on the desktop. Zero problem launching and playing there.

Edit:

choosing to go offline does nothing.

I was trying to play the Victorian era / steampunk assassins game and I spent about an hour dealing with this screen before giving up. I haven’t got a solution sorry, just sharing the pain.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Medullah posted:

I haven't done it on my deck but I did it on my Fedora desktop and it worked fine. Worst case scenario is you need to jump out to desktop mode for the initial login, but it shouldn't require it after even then.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

v1ld posted:

Nice!

Interesting they picked a Lite device to do this on. Bet they're keenly aware of the efficiency gains from switching to SteamOS.

They get to save on Windows licensing fees.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Animal posted:

They get to save on Windows licensing fees.

Microsoft used to have a lower (maybe zero?) license fee for bottom-end laptops, and I wonder if they’ll do something else here for devices that, for example, ship without a keyboard, in order to neutralize that advantage

otoh they could just make Game Pass a first-class streaming citizen on SteamOS and grab some customers that way

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think I had a similar issue with AC: Black Flag, you have to do a bit of desktop mode fuckery

DRINK ME posted:

I was trying to play the Victorian era / steampunk assassins game and I spent about an hour dealing with this screen before giving up. I haven’t got a solution sorry, just sharing the pain.

Figured it out, thanks to this dude putting up a fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lw7SwgnGZQ

The tl;dw is that you install protontricks and use that to basically overwrite the old uplay app with the new ubi connect app. It does some fuckery and starts up the correct ubi launcher when you fire it off from inside steam. Appears to be working fine for me now after doing that. He's using Syndicate as his example, but says it works for all the old Ubi games.

This is a LOT more straight forward than the other fixes I found which basically involved you doing the same thing manually via a poo poo ton of downloading, overwriting files, and console fuckery. It's basically about as difficult as installing a patch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Figured it out, thanks to this dude putting up a fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lw7SwgnGZQ

drat lol wish i'd seen this video a few months ago, took me a lot longer than 5 minutes

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Atoramos posted:

Isn't getting proper Vulkan HDR streaming on an open platform a big deal? Think Moonlight doing that is a first, afaik.

Also, since the mobile device market is already big I can imagine some devices swap from janky Android builds to SteamOS once the min specs become cheap enough.

Yes. Real HDR support in Linux is pretty bleeding edge.

I just tried Moonlight with the experimental HDR for Death Stranding Directors Cut and it worked well. Couldn't enable the option in Desktop mode and it looked like poo poo, but worked fine in Gaming mode. KDE vs Wayland I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Looked up the bag I got for my deck and was struggling to find it in my orders. Found it and uhhh that's some title