Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The hexagon was a good way to know who to ignore or bully on sight, but since checkmarks have taken on that function now the hex seems pretty redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

so is it all IPAs or does Australia have better style diversity ?

Lotta IPAs and Double Pale Ales of course, but the big thing has seemed to be sours, goses and stouts, at least for while I was doing any amount of drinking. So many good stouts, those were probably my favourite, but the sours were mint too.

I think the least common or popular style would be pilsners, at least round my neck of the woods. Lagers too I guess, because of how prevalent they are in your main beer brands.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Australia/NZ have the southern hemisphere's equivalent of Yakima Valley so there's a ton of hop production there, and since hops are pretty dependent on environmental conditions, there's a lot of super cool and tasty "new" (at least to NA consumers) hop varietals coming out of there. There's also been a pretty big homebrewing/home distilling community in Aus/NZ for a while, which is usually how you get a big craft beer industry.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Nonzero chance NFT profile pics was coded by some cryptobro moron and had a bunch of vulnerabilities in it

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

There's also the old "something broke, and even if anybody gave enough fucks to fix it, nobody knows how" thing that seems to be going on a lot over there.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I made the mistake of posting a chart in work slack re: something bitcoin related and now a true believer is very curious why I don't think it's viable as a currency

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you're going to engage at all it's more fun to let them dig their own hole by turning the question around and asking them why they think it is.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
E: Wrong thread, lmao.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 11, 2024

EMoney
Jul 19, 2004
The document from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) approves proposals from various exchanges to list and trade shares of Bitcoin-based Exchange-Traded Products (ETPs). Here are the key points:

quote:

1. **Approval of Proposals**: The SEC grants accelerated approval to proposals for listing and trading Bitcoin-based Commodity-Based Trust Shares and Trust Units by exchanges such as NYSE Arca, Nasdaq, and Cboe BZX.

2. **Consistency with Exchange Act**: The SEC finds these proposals consistent with the Exchange Act requirements, particularly in preventing fraudulent and manipulative practices and protecting investors and public interest.

3. **Surveillance-Sharing Agreements**: Each exchange has comprehensive surveillance-sharing agreements with the CME, aiding in detecting fraud and manipulation in Bitcoin markets.

4. **Correlation Analysis**: The SEC conducted its own correlation analysis, confirming a high correlation between CME Bitcoin futures and spot Bitcoin markets, validating the effectiveness of surveillance-sharing agreements.

5. **Investor Protection Measures**: The proposals include measures such as transparent pricing, portfolio holdings information, intra-day indicative values, and robust surveillance procedures.

6. **Custody and Security Concerns**: The SEC acknowledges concerns regarding the custody of Bitcoin and the susceptibility of blockchain to hacking but finds that the proposals satisfy Exchange Act requirements, including measures to prevent fraudulent practices.

7. **Overall Conclusion**: The SEC's approval is based on the proposals meeting the Exchange Act standards, including fraud prevention and investor protection, despite concerns raised about market manipulation and security.

Hester Pierce delivers her statement; we’re lucky to have her at the SEC…some highlights:

quote:

"Today marks the end of an unnecessary, but consequential, saga."

"For reasons I have explained many times before, the logic of the long string of denials is perplexing."

"the Commission has driven retail investors to less efficient means of attaining bitcoin exposure in the securities markets."

"until a court reminded us that our “unexplained discounting of the obvious financial and mathematical relationship between the spot and futures markets falls short of the standard for reasoned decisionmaking,”[6] we persisted in denying a spot bitcoin ETF"

"The Commission, rather than admitting error, offers a weak explanation for its change of heart."

"We squandered a decade of opportunities to do our job”

BTC still remains the worlds premiere global decentralized hard capped peer to peer network of value…the worlds most powerful asset managers and a Turkish shop owner suffering under the weight of hyper inflation can partake in this permissionless network…it is for everyone.

The global adoption rate is moving apace…institutional adoption was always going to be a part of BTC’s story…but it won’t be the last. More global sovereigns holding BTC may be the next chapter of adoption this decade.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Fate Accomplice posted:

I made the mistake of posting a chart in work slack re: something bitcoin related and now a true believer is very curious why I don't think it's viable as a currency

I’m very glad the true believer we had employed briefly left. After DMing me on slack that he lost ~15k worth of eth by giving out his pass phrase and proceeded to ask me how to hack a major US hosting company.

He got put on notice for that one. Yes please try to rope me into a felony on our work slack!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

necrotic posted:

I’m very glad the true believer we had employed briefly left. After DMing me on slack that he lost ~15k worth of eth by giving out his pass phrase and proceeded to ask me how to hack a major US hosting company.

He got put on notice for that one. Yes please try to rope me into a felony on our work slack!

:magical:

sums up as:

Bitcoin: I have some questions for you in the #mycrimes channel

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

You can't go past a craft beer fridge without seeing a thousand Hazy IPAs and New England IPAs these days but the breweries still put out things that aren't that so it's OK.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I’m excited to see a whole new class of people getting mad at Bitcoin now that their etfs are approved.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

necrotic posted:

SettingSun posted:

If you're going to engage at all it's more fun to let them dig their own hole by turning the question around and asking them why they think it is.

thankfully I replied with a form of "I am not going to get into a discussion about this," and someone else engaged with them, and they agreed to take it to direct messages.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Fate Accomplice posted:

thankfully I replied with a form of "I am not going to get into a discussion about this," and someone else engaged with them, and they agreed to take it to direct messages.

The only answer is to not engage and immediately report the attempted felony to my boss. Ima snitch the poo poo out of that because if anything actually came of it and I entertained it at all I’m now a party to it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you put some bitcoins into a box then list the box as a security for people to trade, and in the meantime someone steals all the bitcoins, does the price the security is trading at fall? Or does nobody look into the box anymore and they just trade the box around without checking?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The Lone Badger posted:

If you put some bitcoins into a box then list the box as a security for people to trade, and in the meantime someone steals all the bitcoins, does the price the security is trading at fall? Or does nobody look into the box anymore and they just trade the box around without checking?

It's going to be home loan securities all over again, no one will know the box has nothing in it until everyone realizes they NEED TO LOOK IN THE BOX at which point whoopsie daisy your pension is insolvent.

But it's OK, the important thing is that some bank execs got good bonuses for a few years and the bank itself harvested fees and turned a tidy profit.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

This is the endgame/future of all Bitcoin ETF's. Whoops!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

EMoney posted:

The document from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) approves proposals from various exchanges to list and trade shares of Bitcoin-based Exchange-Traded Products (ETPs). Here are the key points:

Hester Pierce delivers her statement; we’re lucky to have her at the SEC…some highlights:

BTC still remains the worlds premiere global decentralized hard capped peer to peer network of value…the worlds most powerful asset managers and a Turkish shop owner suffering under the weight of hyper inflation can partake in this permissionless network…it is for everyone.

The global adoption rate is moving apace…institutional adoption was always going to be a part of BTC’s story…but it won’t be the last. More global sovereigns holding BTC may be the next chapter of adoption this decade.

Here is Citigroup Inc. looking at investor demand and concluding: Yes, sure, Bitcoin is great, but what Bitcoin investors really want is to hold Bitcoins in the form of receipts issued by a giant bank and registered at DTCC. That’s where the real innovation is! That’s what the people want! “Take this blockchain away from me,” they cry, “and give me the old system that I know!”

In 2024 that is obviously what they want.

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007
Not a lawyer, but I don't think the underlying bitcoin is insured whatsoever, from the ARK 21 filing:

quote:

The Trust is not a banking institution or otherwise a member of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (“FDIC”) or Securities Investor Protection Corporation (“SIPC”) and, therefore, deposits held with or assets held by the Trust are not subject to the protections enjoyed by depositors with FDIC or SIPC member institutions. In addition, neither the Trust nor the Sponsor insure the Trust’s bitcoin.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Zero One posted:

Here is Citigroup Inc. looking at investor demand and concluding: Yes, sure, Bitcoin is great, but what Bitcoin investors really want is to hold Bitcoins in the form of receipts issued by a giant bank and registered at DTCC. That’s where the real innovation is! That’s what the people want! “Take this blockchain away from me,” they cry, “and give me the old system that I know!”

In 2024 that is obviously what they want.

Yes. That is exactly what a specific segment of the market wants. My 75 year old father in law has no loving idea how to deal with coin exchanges but he’s been hot to trot to get in on crypto for years because of all the news he’s seen about how it’s guaranteed 10000% returns and all those kids got rich and I want to be rich too.

It’s going to see massive uptake from the final tranche of bag holders. This is the moment in the pop Econ Hollywood film 10 years from now where an attractive actress in a bathing suit will turn to the camera and explain that the SEC failed in its duty to protect consumers.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

ChronoBasher posted:

Not a lawyer, but I don't think the underlying bitcoin is insured whatsoever, from the ARK 21 filing:

The FDIC/SIPC stuff is boilerplate, but wow, they're not even bothering to carry private custodial insurance. Sure, that won't come back to bite them in the rear end.

I bet the fees on these ETFs are going to be utterly usurious compared to the mainstream Vanguard/iShares stuff, too. Wouldn't be surprised to see 1.5-2% at a minimum. Plus cash-created/cash-settled allows the coiners to import the "cash-settled == big banks suppressing the price by naked shorting fake underlying asset!" conspiracy theory that's long been popular among the goldbugs.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Motherfuckers out there are excited about ETFs because they can never get a single 'DTF'.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Halibut Barn posted:

Speaking of (not) going to the moon...

(from https://citationneeded.news/issue-48/)

LMAO

drk
Jan 16, 2005

istewart posted:

I bet the fees on these ETFs are going to be utterly usurious compared to the mainstream Vanguard/iShares stuff, too. Wouldn't be surprised to see 1.5-2% at a minimum.

Actually there was quite a bit of competition on fees. 1.5% is the highest, all of the rest are under 1%:

I gotta believe GBTC holders are going to dump as soon as possible, :rip: Grayscale

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I believe it was the Grayscale lawsuit that drove the SEC to allow these ETFs in the first place. I'm interested in following the results of that.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Grayscale does some kind of dividend poo poo, I don't know how that works out but they do. I recall that back when I was holding crypto, the gbtc poo poo would constantly get...dividends? Or something that resulted in more funds regularly.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 11, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yes. That is exactly what a specific segment of the market wants. My 75 year old father in law has no loving idea how to deal with coin exchanges but he’s been hot to trot to get in on crypto for years because of all the news he’s seen about how it’s guaranteed 10000% returns and all those kids got rich and I want to be rich too.

It’s going to see massive uptake from the final tranche of bag holders. This is the moment in the pop Econ Hollywood film 10 years from now where an attractive actress in a bathing suit will turn to the camera and explain that the SEC failed in its duty to protect consumers.

Oh God does this mean my retirement fund is going to be buying Bitcoin? It does, doesn't it. Ugh.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wait, if the bank buys a bunch of them and just sits on them while their customers trade them back and forth, that's actually reducing the environmental impact, right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

cruft posted:

Oh God does this mean my retirement fund is going to be buying Bitcoin? It does, doesn't it. Ugh.
If you mean a pension fund, probably.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

cruft posted:

Wait, if the bank buys a bunch of them and just sits on them while their customers trade them back and forth, that's actually reducing the environmental impact, right?

if it increases prices it'll have the knock on effect of increasing mining so probably not

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Lammasu posted:

Is the craft beer scene really big in Australia? I know it is in the States.

i feel like yes, but a lot of my friends are in the scene so my perspective might be skewed.

australia has the highest rates of gambling in the world (traditional, not counting blockchain-based pyramid schemes disguised as currency) with a big part of it being "pokies" (lovely gambling machines) being endemic except for the best state, WA. this means lots (most?) bars will have some poor saps throwing away their retirement savings in a corner of sadness. if you don't want that poo poo harshing your vibe, it's worth paying for the more expensive drinks/foods at a fancy/hipster place. that's my theory anyway.

PhazonLink posted:

lots of hoppy beers, but also a lot of variety. i think the hazy craze will never fully die down, but it's reduced to a manageable level now. WA has great hops, red ales and a decent wild/sour scene too (the main beer importer here loves belgian styles and has deliberately cultivated the market here for decades so he can leech off it). melbourne has everything and craft breweries there are constantly trying to distinguish themselves to pull in the trendy crowd.

sydney is a hole and should be nuked. nowhere else matters. :)

crepeface fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 11, 2024

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

cruft posted:

Comparing 5 Bitcoin Super Funds in Australia (super means retirement fund in australia)

quote:

In 2014, the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) acknowledged the rise of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies not as a currency, but as a capital gain asset, taxable at a rate of only 15%.

here's the first one:

quote:

4. NGS Crypto Dedicated Account For Your Super Fund
NGS Crypto is an international blockchain mining company which delivers the best fusion of encrypted currency investing. Unlike the other crypto platforms, NGS Crypto provides a digital asset mining service which means you don’t have to be a blockchain expert to gain exposure to the crypto market.

You can invest your super with NGS Crypto through a Self Managed Super Fund (SMSF) with 0 ongoing management fees.

With NGS Crypto, all returns are paid daily in Bitcoin and after securing an affiliate partnership with one of Australia’s biggest financial wealth analyst companies, you will also have access to sound financial advice.

why is the first on the list labelled "4."? why is there two different "4." entries? why are they only four entries on what is supposed to be a list of five? that's just he kind of de-centralised ad-hoc disruptive finance journalism that we bring to you at cryptonews.com.au

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Overheard a conversation a crypto-addled friend was having with a business partner of his, about how gaming is an untapped resource as far as crypto goes, how "the sum total of gaming revenue is less than one coin - Dogecoin", etc.

The way he talked about it, as I'm sure all these conversations go, is how to exploit the market, not "we've got a great idea, lets find a way to make it happen", and hoping that it will do well financially. He was talking about how people game throughout their lives, unlike e.g. doing sports, etc. And "wouldn't it be great if they could earn money and their car could be an NFT with various stats, trading, etc". He came so close to having a moment of clarity when he pointed out to the other guy that "all of the crypto games that have come out so far have been low-effort rubbish"....

At no point in this convrersation was any consideration given at all to the fact that gaming is a uniquely equalising pastime - it doesn't matter how much money you've got in the real world, you can get dunked on by a guy who is working part time at a fast food place. Pretty much everything outside of gaming is a sobering reminder of your station in life. Although microtransactions and to a lesser extent Pay 2 Win are a thing, it's still largely just cosmetic and can be ignored.

I could feel myself getting increasingly irritated thinking about a world in which gaming is just another part of your life where you're constantly reminded that you haven't got as much money as someone else, or you weren't early enough to the game, or whatever. And the other factor of course is that these people aren't interested in playing these games themselves, all they want to do is "exploit the untapped market" - they want other people to buy their games coins.

I guess I should probably also remind my friend that NFTs are dead and gamers hate NFTs.

:argh:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

cruft posted:

Unfortunately no because it makes no difference to the bitcoin network whether transactions are happening or not. People are burning coal and silicon to essentially fight each other with, thus far, ever-increasing amounts of processing power to try and generate more coins. The transactions (and associated fees collected) along with that are minuscule in comparison.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 11, 2024

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Great news guys, banks and government are good now

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Durzel posted:

I could feel myself getting increasingly irritated thinking about a world in which gaming is just another part of your life where you're constantly reminded that you haven't got as much money as someone else, or you weren't early enough to the game, or whatever. And the other factor of course is that these people aren't interested in playing these games themselves, all they want to do is "exploit the untapped market" - they want other people to buy their games coins.

Gacha games already exist.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

The Bible posted:

Gacha games already exist.

Not for long if China have anything to say about it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Tsietisin posted:

Not for long if China have anything to say about it.

For once, I'm glad China is at least doing something about this, where the US kinda shrugged and let it be. Blizzard pulling this poo poo is garbage to the highest level, and once they get around to applying it to crypto would take care of probably 75% of the crypto market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

For once, I'm glad China is at least doing something about this, where the US kinda shrugged and let it be. Blizzard pulling this poo poo is garbage to the highest level, and once they get around to applying it to crypto would take care of probably 75% of the crypto market.

Didn't china do a 180 on it when some important stocks took it in the nuts?