Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gavok posted:

The WWE/Hanna-Barbera crossovers were pretty funny in how chaotic they got due to WWE's constant cutting ties.

- The Flintstones one had CM Punkrock as the main villain. It was coming out long after Punk left WWE and WWE insisted HB alter the movie in light of that. HB laughed them off.

- While the first Scooby Doo movie came out fine, the sequel was going to have a big emphasis on Hulk Hogan. When THAT shoe dropped, they really did have to rework the movie to completely remove him.

- The Jetsons movie had appearances from various wrestlers and their futuristic robot doppelgangers. As Cody Rhodes was gone by this point, Stardust was missing from the movie, but the Stardust robot was still around.

another fun fact is that anytime the Scooby Doo Wrestlemania Mystery aired for TV they legally could not use the name Wrestlemania in movie title or in the movie so the event Scooby Doo and the gang are going to is SUPERSTARmania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KungFu Grip posted:

another fun fact is that anytime the Scooby Doo Wrestlemania Mystery aired for TV they legally could not use the name Wrestlemania in movie title or in the movie so the event Scooby Doo and the gang are going to is SUPERSTARmania

Wait, what? Did they seriously not secure the rights to use the name for their movie?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

That & the fact that Bret's contract still had a few weeks before running out meant the screw job was pointless in the end. If Bret had actually taken the WWF title to WCW he'd be in breach & guarantee Vince would've sued him & WCW into oblivion for it. Makes me wonder if it was just Vince being a dick because he knew about the issues between Shawn/Bret & was mad about the WCW "defection" but wanted HBK to be champ again to rub it in Bret's face/piss him off on the way out.

It's vince, like every other story of that kind even if Vince swears up and down that it's actually about something else, in the end he's a carny and the people carnies lie to most of all is themselves. At least part of it being to screw over Bret is true, because it's always, partially, at least a little, about being a dick.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Torchlighter posted:

It's vince, like every other story of that kind even if Vince swears up and down that it's actually about something else, in the end he's a carny and the people carnies lie to most of all is themselves. At least part of it being to screw over Bret is true, because it's always, partially, at least a little, about being a dick.

Part of it was that.

I honestly do think the main part was the Alundra Blayze becomes Madusa and throws the WWF Woman's Title Belt in the trash live on Nitro. It didn't matter if Bret couldn't legally do that, or wouldn't, and was willing to work out a deal so Bischoff could not even mention he had signed away the WWE's champion (never mind that Vince SET THAT UP IN THE FIRST PLACE by breaching Bret's contract and telling him to open up negotiations with WCW) until Bret was no longer with the company. Vince short sightedly did stuff, then realized the issues, and like any good psychopath, he assumed everyone would behave like HE would, ie, like a POS rear end in a top hat kicking his opponent when they were down. And hell, he wasn't wholly wrong. Bischoff had mainly caused WCW's rise by stealing Vince's playbook and using it against him.

Seriously, Vince is incapable of realizing just how loving LUCKY he got with how the Montreal Screwjob turned out. He rolled a 100 on the d100 die. One or two tiny differences and Vince's whole company might well have mutinied and walked out on him, or forced him to let them form a union, or had one or two of them beat the poo poo out of him (Undertaker supposedly was fully willing to do so if Vince didn't apologize to Bret for what he did). Instead, it got attention, and Vince just happened to see the possibilities of embracing the controversy and turning it into storyline, and the rest is history.

I still say that Michaels was the primary cause and nexus of the screwjob 'needing' to happen. It really should be called the Michaels Screwjob.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Arbite posted:

as long as it wasn't in Canada. He offered to lose it the week before in New York.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Bret's contract still had a few weeks before running out
and give it away on free tv? come on, pal, let's be serious

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Cubone posted:

and give it away on free tv? come on, pal, let's be serious

They kind of painted themselves into a corner by selling the PPV in Montreal with Bret as champ

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Bret won his first world title from Ric Flair on a untelevised house show. In fact, every one of his World title wins loving sucked.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the screw job involved a bunch of grown men acting like giant children over a fake fight

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they worked themselves into a shoot, brother

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/nw0OYRt.mp4

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's exactly what I needed this morning.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

he should team up with ryback. the content would be endless.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I doubt they'd go with my suggested tag team name, "Big Dumb Meathead Idiots"

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

lol let's go back to starting position. It's really much more comfortable.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I really wish there was sound.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I really wish there was sound.

https://youtu.be/FYrAME_db3g?si=3neA2f8-T8xVvYig

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

:elon::elon::elon:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I've been playing MyGM in WWE2K23 and what I've learned is I am a terrible GM

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Don't be too hard on yourself, Vince McMahon was a terrible GM for two decades and he's rich as gently caress.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Have you tried booking yourself to win the world title? That usually works.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Defiance Industries posted:

Don't be too hard on yourself, Vince McMahon was a terrible GM for two decades and he's rich as gently caress.

it's lol how fitting that analogy is

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

If you can’t make a talented AAA wrestler dress up like a turkey and dance then it’s a crappy GM mode.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Seth Pecksniff posted:

always ask yourself WWVKMD

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Szyznyk posted:

If you can’t make a talented AAA wrestler dress up like a turkey and dance then it’s a crappy GM mode.

Which is why MDickie's Wrestling Mpire is the best wrestling game.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I think the devil character on AEW, when he takes his mask off, is going to be… Vince Macman

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I think the devil character on AEW, when he takes his mask off, is going to be… Vince Macman

it will be tony

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Doctor Dogballs posted:

This'll be how he announces that he bought the company.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Devil already unmasked two weeks ago and it was Adam Cole, which was the least surprising, but probably the best option considering that attempts to swerve the fans have historically led to very stupid outcomes.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 13, 2024

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Kennel posted:

attempts to swerve the fans have historically led to very stupid outcomes.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yjG06g8jWfY

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
swerving is funnier

Cubone
May 26, 2011

time limit draw...

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cubone posted:

time limit draw...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqo4OZ0Pqs

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
mick foley was going to be the higher power but mick foleys body had already fallen apart and vince decided to make himself the higher power instead even though it doesnt make any sense with the story that was being told thats why it rules

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

mick foley was going to be the higher power but mick foleys body had already fallen apart and vince decided to make himself the higher power instead even though it doesnt make any sense with the story that was being told thats why it rules

Mick also didn't want to turn heel with no build. As after this he made Triple H's career several months later at the Royal Rumble and then at No Way Out, and then also helped out Randy Orton and Edge a few years later, so his body wasn't COMPLETELY fallen apart yet.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

to be clear I have no strong feelings about it except that it's funny

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Cubone posted:

time limit draw...

The Pope...

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

feh. Who'd he ever beat?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari