Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Instead people should only remake obscure movies.

Wanna see Robert Eggers tackle Dead Heat or Jordan Peele remake Mausoleum or Ari Aster do Winterbeast.

poo poo that like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Leatherhead posted:

My pitch for a blob remake would be to take advantage of how non-horror people don't really know the 84 version. Cast a bunch of likable comedians, like Bill Hader, Charlie Day etc., make it seem like you're doing a goofy send-up of the original 50s movie, then kill them all as graphically and horribly as possible.
link the Indiegogo and I'm donating

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Instead people should only remake obscure movies.

Wanna see Robert Eggers tackle Dead Heat or Jordan Peele remake Mausoleum or Ari Aster do Winterbeast.

poo poo that like that

I don’t know. I really like whatever dartboard or d20 table that Eggers is using to pick settings. As much as I like the idea of him remaking A Company of Wolves with Maggie Smith (or whatever), I also don’t want to miss him doing something in a haunted Cistercian monastery (or whatever) either.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

There are some fun options for casting where they could pull the same trick as the 80s version did with the Paul character. Cast someone like [...] Ryan Reynolds and let the audience assume they're the main protagonist.

E: man no I'm wrong Life is Alien, not The Thing, but it still relies on a Ryan Reynolds semi-fakeout

Phy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 10, 2024

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

For being a series that reinforces stereotypes, Mondo Cane is an all timer movie title.

DOG WORLD

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've never seen Mondo Cane (and don't have a lot of interest in watching anything in the Mondo genre, although I'd gladly read a good book about it) but I used to have the soundtrack on vinyl and it was great. I think it even won an Oscar (lol). Riz Ortolani, goated composer.

lunael1982
Oct 19, 2012
Started watching "30 Coins" half reluctantly in bed out of boredom and under fever because of the influenza. After two episodes I liked the actors and the money is really well spent on this show in CGI, locations etc. but it was just little too telenovella for my taste. Fast forward after episode three and I can already see that this is the pinnacle of not too artsy or "Emmy haunting" tv shows. Miraculously the soapy telenovella, religious horror and conspiracy plot just works better than it would have any right to. It shows that there is some real talent and love behind this show.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

A Fancy Hat posted:

I like both versions of The Blob but the 80s remake is kind of a perfect goopy horror movie. As a kid I was disappointed that sequel hook at the end never came to fruition, I think something like "Cult of the Blob" could kick a lot of rear end.

If you do a totally fresh remake I still think there's something to be mined from the concept. The original one was an alien, the remake one is a government created weapon. A modern version could play off that, have a bunch of people assume it's a government weapon only to find out it actually is an alien, or have it be a random mutant created by industrial runoff or something.

Could even work in the original Blob since it was dropped off in Antarctica. But then, I would totally love to see a showdown between original Blob and 80s Blob.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A Fancy Hat posted:

I don't think you can do The Thing again. The Carpenter version has incredible creature effects AND gets the tension perfect, too. So even an amazingly written remake is going to pale in comparison. Plus there's nowhere else you need to take the story, the ending's already perfect.

There was a concept I saw about acceptance of a story into popular knowledge ruining the point of the story. The examples the guy gave were Treasure Island and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Treasure Island's reveal of Long John Silver being a pirate was a huge deal back then because it was before people generally accepted peg legs, parrots, and pirate talk to be a pirate. It was a surprise because pirates were typically just people with normal British/French/Spanish names and peg legs weren't really a thing. With Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde the original story was a gothic mystery about drug addiction. You're supposed to read the book and be surprised that they're the same person, but because the story is so well known the original intent of mystery is completely gone.

With The Thing everyone knows the concept of the story now and all tension is gone. There's no surprise with the dog, no surprise that the thing can infect people, and no tension figuring out who it is. You can't replicate the story again. With the 2011 remake they resorted to making it an action film. There wasn't a mystery because it's a prequel and the agency of the characters change because of it. They're no longer hunted, they're the hunters.

There's also something to be said that the characters matter more than the story in the Thing. MacReady drove the plot and the charisma to cheer for the main character. Childs, the doctors, Nauls, Palmer, they all filled little archetypes and were performed by pretty great actors. There's no Keith David or Kurt Russell carrying the remake. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is a fine actress and Joel Edgerton is okay but neither of them are the quality from the first film. It turns the characters from people that you care about to just generic people that are getting picked off.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Doltos posted:

There's also something to be said that the characters matter more than the story in the Thing. MacReady drove the plot and the charisma to cheer for the main character. Childs, the doctors, Nauls, Palmer, they all filled little archetypes and were performed by pretty great actors. There's no Keith David or Kurt Russell carrying the remake. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is a fine actress and Joel Edgerton is okay but neither of them are the quality from the first film. It turns the characters from people that you care about to just generic people that are getting picked off.

i agree with this, but will always go to bat for the "Norweigan" actors in The Thing 2011, especially Kristofer Hivju. the dude's face was made for horror, it contains multitudes

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

lunael1982 posted:

Started watching "30 Coins" half reluctantly in bed out of boredom and under fever because of the influenza. After two episodes I liked the actors and the money is really well spent on this show in CGI, locations etc. but it was just little too telenovella for my taste. Fast forward after episode three and I can already see that this is the pinnacle of not too artsy or "Emmy haunting" tv shows. Miraculously the soapy telenovella, religious horror and conspiracy plot just works better than it would have any right to. It shows that there is some real talent and love behind this show.

I highly recommend sticking with it. Season 2 is insane, they broke the knob turning it up to 11

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Finally

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1745220548744061012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:bisonyes:

2024 is a good year

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can’t wait for 28 Years Later

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's a closer timeline but supposedly it's going to be 28 Months Later.

If it was Boyle I might think about but fuuuck do I hate Garland.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Baron von Eevl posted:

Like, everything Garland's done? I think that Civil War movie looks godawful and I hated Men, but I love Ex Machina and Annihilation and Dredd.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Dredd is excellent but it's such a fluke against his other stuff that I have to imagine there was something else going on.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Dredd is excellent but it's such a fluke against his other stuff that I have to imagine there was something else going on.

Karl Urban:Judge Dredd::Ryan Reynolds:Deadpool. Urban is a huge Dreddhead and gets the character the way Reynolds "gets" Deadpool. One of the first studio notes was "Hey, since we're paying Hollywood Hunk Karl Urban to be in this, do you think you could take your helmet off for the ladies?" to which Urban replied "gently caress you, Dredd doesn't take his helmet off"

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

gently caress me it should be 28 hours later and just be the insane collapse of London.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

loving Moron posted:

gently caress me it should be 28 hours later and just be the insane collapse of London.

Change it to Paris from the end of 28 Weeks, an entire movie of the actual "society is destroyed by the ravening hordes" part of the outbreak, just 2 hours of the first 10 minutes of Dawn of the Dead and it ends with the characters trapped on a roof or something watching the nukes coming down.

I liked 28 Weeks Later a lot... and then we got that little flash out the tunnel at the end and well I've been waiting for the movie above ever since then.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm not sure if I'm following this. You'd be interested in a sequel to 28 Days Later but only if the writer of 28 Days Later isn't going to be involved?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

JonathonSpectre posted:

Change it to Paris from the end of 28 Weeks, an entire movie of the actual "society is destroyed by the ravening hordes" part of the outbreak, just 2 hours of the first 10 minutes of Dawn of the Dead and it ends with the characters trapped on a roof or something watching the nukes coming down.

I liked 28 Weeks Later a lot... and then we got that little flash out the tunnel at the end and well I've been waiting for the movie above ever since then.
:same:

I've seriously been waiting 17 years for the news that a sequel is going forward.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Crescent Wrench posted:

I'm not sure if I'm following this. You'd be interested in a sequel to 28 Days Later but only if the writer of 28 Days Later isn't going to be involved?

I actually didn't realize Garland wrote that movie. Not sure how to think about that.

Honestly I don't think we need another 28 ___ later movie at all, but to answer your question Garland being involved in a movie at this point will make me not want to watch it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
How do you feel about Sunshine because Garland wrote that one as well.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Worst case scenario is just a straight sequel that will be good, but I'm hoping for another reinvention

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

what's the beef with Garland? he's not the best writer by any stretch but i've never thought he's outrageously bad

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I get weird misogynist vibes from him. I dunno, maybe it's just me but he skeeves me out. His collaborations with Boyle* have been pretty good and he may or may not have actually directed Dredd (supposedly he didn't actually shoot anything but was 100% responsible for director level decisions during editing) which is great but Ex Machina grossed me out and nothing else I've seen that he's directed has changed my mind about that.

*except The Beach

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Sunshine and all other space horrors are 10/10s even if they're Jason X

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dang what the heck why didn’t anyone tell me Chase from 24 is in the Empty Man

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Dang what the heck why didn’t anyone tell me Chase from 24 is in the Empty Man

james badge dale gives such good neurotic nervy guy energy, he radiates some sort of anxiety

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

We'll see how this pans out. Russ McKamey is under investigation.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2023/11/02/tennessee-mckamey-manor-investigation-hulu-documentary/71420749007/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Reckless Ben hosed this dude up and it’s so satisfying.

Starts here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9mjwoLYGr0

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I can't believe that no one mentioned the next piece of news in that 28 Years Later article; that it's a trilogy of sequel films they are shopping around.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't believe that no one mentioned the next piece of news in that 28 Years Later article; that it's a trilogy of sequel films they are shopping around.

Is there enough material in the concept to do more than one more film?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

M_Sinistrari posted:

We already had two and there wasn't.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

M_Sinistrari posted:

No, of course not. Even the first film gives up on being about the infected halfway through.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's like asking me if there's enough material in the concept of The Strangers to justify a) the two films we already got before this year, and/or b) the three films we're getting this year (yes we're getting 3 The Strangers films this year, first one is in May):

I don't think there is, but with how good the films we've gotten so far and how good the creatives involved are (everything Garland's done has ruled, I love Men), I completely trust it until/unless I'm in the middle of watching it suck, which hasn't happened yet

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

M_Sinistrari posted:

28 Millenniumialls Later.

It's just Dune, with zombies.

Or Vampire Hunter D.

With zombies.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

M_Sinistrari posted:

Is there enough stupid people left in that world to make stupid decisions so the rage virus gets spread again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

28 Films Later