Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That goon who ran a mile holding a printer for some girl slams his head into the desk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Medullah posted:

Looked up the bag I got for my deck and was struggling to find it in my orders. Found it and uhhh that's some title

Amazon product IDs get reused. Shady companies do it intentionally to inflate the number of reviews for a product to make it seem popular/well liked, this is also why when reading reviews for paint brushes you start noticing a lot of the old 5-star reviews are for a dog waste bag dispenser or some poo poo.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 10, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Squiggle posted:

Amazon product IDs get reused. Shady companies do it intentionally to inflate the number of reviews for a product to make it seem popular/well liked, this is also why when reading reviews for paint brushes you start noticing a lot of the old 5-star reviews are for a dog waste bag dispenser or some poo poo.

the more you know!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Holocure has its hooks in me deep. My headphones have sprouted ears and my hair is two-tone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Holocure has its hooks in me deep. My headphones have sprouted ears and my hair is two-tone.

I just got off a 6 hour flight and this is me.

The home stuff doesn’t make a lot of sense right now as farming seems to be a money sink. The fishing is good though

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
drat! 256GB refurbs popped up on steam and I finally snagged one, instantly wondering why or what I'm even going to do with it lol.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The first delivery of the ebay items has been delivered. Hopefully they don't raise a fuss. An estimated time of Wednesday next week for all the deliveries to be finished (might be longer, winter storm in Ontario) will make me hopefully be able to order the deck no later than then. But as long as 2 are delivered, and get positive feedback, I can order the deck.

The MicroSD card will wait until all 3 are shipped. That should only take a day or 2 to arrive from Amazon. Hopefully at this time in 2 weeks I will have the deck in hand, ready to download Infinite Wealth onto it and just veg out all weekend playing it.

I know refurbs are on Steam right now, but I want that OLED. Nothing else will do.

Edit: Oh, if there's an inexpensive USB-C thing that has HDMI out that works on the deck and has at least 2 usb inputs, could I get a recommendation? I know the official dock would work, but that does go over my budget to buy that, too.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 11, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IAmTheRad posted:

The first delivery of the ebay items has been delivered.

Rooting for you!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Is there any consensus on yet these new 1.5tb sandisk microsd cards or are they too new?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

MarcusSA posted:

I just got off a 6 hour flight and this is me.

The home stuff doesn’t make a lot of sense right now as farming seems to be a money sink. The fishing is good though

You farm and fish to make food for buffs in the levels.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Annath posted:

You farm and fish to make food for buffs in the levels.

Ah! I thought someone said it was an alternate way to make money because it sure didn’t seem that way

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

MarcusSA posted:

Ah! I thought someone said it was an alternate way to make money because it sure didn’t seem that way

I mean technically I guess you could pick up the fish the characters drop and sell them?? But yeah no its for making buff foods.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Medullah posted:

Looked up the bag I got for my deck and was struggling to find it in my orders. Found it and uhhh that's some title

How about an actual link to that bag, looks cool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Those are all over shien for like $5-10

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Fuzz posted:

The item is out of stock, at least from that link anyway

Edit - It's not that great anyway. Not a lot of extra room for accessories

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I simply grew a deck pouch

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Steam deck is unlocking a weird video game obsession I’ve never had:

I’ve had it on multiple consoles over the years and I never really got into it, but now I’ve broken through a barrier from absolutely horrible to competent and it’s like something clicked.

Now I can’t stop playing Tetris. Oh no!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Edit: Oh, if there's an inexpensive USB-C thing that has HDMI out that works on the deck and has at least 2 usb inputs, could I get a recommendation? I know the official dock would work, but that does go over my budget to buy that, too.

I haven't used either of these but they have decent specs and a ton of reviews at 4.4-4.5.

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Port-Delivery-Splitter-Adapter-MacBook/dp/B0BLJFZ42M/ is $12 with a 20% off coupon in Amazon itself. Has a bunch of good ports - more USB 3 ports than others in the same price range or even more expensive. Has 100W USB PD. HDMI out has bandwidth for up to 4k@30Hz.

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Hub-Acodot-Multiport-Adapter/dp/B0BKPYY8BC has a ridiculous amount of useful ports (3x USB 3.0 and 2x USB 2!), card readers, PD 100W and the HDMI port is more capable: 4K@60Hz. This is $16, marked down from $30 in a limited time deal.

I'd go for that last one myself, even those USB 2 ports are very useful if you ever have to plug one of those controller dongles into it. USB 3 interferes with 2.4GHz dongles like for a wireless mouse or controller something fierce, so having USB 2 ports is actually useful.

Would def go into the reviews before buying either. As I said, I haven't tried either one - just going on specs, price, review counts and quality.

Enjoy your Deck! It's a super fun device.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

any advice on setting up a VPN on deck? i've been reading around a little bit and it seems like it is possible, but a lot of the replies indicate that the install gets wiped routinely because of the read-only mode this version of linux runs in. reinstalling every time anything updates doesn't sound very convenient so i am hoping there is a better way!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Chard posted:

any advice on setting up a VPN on deck? i've been reading around a little bit and it seems like it is possible, but a lot of the replies indicate that the install gets wiped routinely because of the read-only mode this version of linux runs in. reinstalling every time anything updates doesn't sound very convenient so i am hoping there is a better way!

Unless you have some weird rear end vpn, you should be able to add one if you click on the wifi icon in desktop mode. KDE has built in VPN support for a variety of solutions.

I use a self-hosted vpn to keep my deck on my home network when I'm out and about.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

To follow-up, there's also a Decky Loader plug-in to manage VPNs while in gaming mode.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My Steam Deck case has a slight snag in the zipper. Kinda thinking about getting a Waterfield case. But I need one that can fit a 10ft USB C cable and my Sharge 67w wall charger.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chard posted:

google for “tailscale steam deck”

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

v1ld posted:

Enjoy your Deck! It's a super fun device.

I haven't ordered it yet. I'm still now just waiting for at least one other delivery to be completed, at least without negative feedback or a message saying there's an issue with it that was not in the description. Also my earliest ordering date has been moved from just when they're delivered into, well, Monday.

I'd just hope it comes in time for infinite wealth so I could play it on the weekend. Micro SD card can come later. But chances are I'd order both on the same day, and Amazon Canada probably will not take long at all to deliver it to me.

But looking forward to it even if I need to wait 2 weeks from today to get it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Unless you have some weird rear end vpn, you should be able to add one if you click on the wifi icon in desktop mode. KDE has built in VPN support for a variety of solutions.

I use a self-hosted vpn to keep my deck on my home network when I'm out and about.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To follow-up, there's also a Decky Loader plug-in to manage VPNs while in gaming mode.

thanks! seems like things are set up through TunnelDeck now, that was pretty easy after all. general question about wallets, is GPG necessary? i get an error trying to use that option but "classic blowfish" seems okay.

sorry to turn this into tech support chat, but yall are saving me a ton of time and i appreciate it, being completely new to linux

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Cyrano4747 posted:

Figured it out, thanks to this dude putting up a fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lw7SwgnGZQ

The tl;dw is that you install protontricks and use that to basically overwrite the old uplay app with the new ubi connect app. It does some fuckery and starts up the correct ubi launcher when you fire it off from inside steam. Appears to be working fine for me now after doing that. He's using Syndicate as his example, but says it works for all the old Ubi games.

This is a LOT more straight forward than the other fixes I found which basically involved you doing the same thing manually via a poo poo ton of downloading, overwriting files, and console fuckery. It's basically about as difficult as installing a patch.

That’s great, thanks, I’ve got a few assassins games to play my way through on the deck now.

Detective No. 27 posted:

My Steam Deck case has a slight snag in the zipper. Kinda thinking about getting a Waterfield case. But I need one that can fit a 10ft USB C cable and my Sharge 67w wall charger.

I’m not certain it will fit a 10ft cable but I replaced the one that came with the deck with this this cheapie. I had some doubts about putting the $$$deck in the $case but it’s as solid and protective as the official one + the extra storage I wanted.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DRINK ME posted:

That’s great, thanks, I’ve got a few assassins games to play my way through on the deck now.

I’m not certain it will fit a 10ft cable but I replaced the one that came with the deck with this this cheapie. I had some doubts about putting the $$$deck in the $case but it’s as solid and protective as the official one + the extra storage I wanted.

I have a 10ft cable charger and headphones in mine.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

can recommend the waterfield case - they have several variants now, one with a zipper and one with a magnetic clasp

they're less bulky than the hard cases

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I've gotten to the point where I just can't play certain games without gyro+paddles. I really need valve to drop the steam controller 2.0 so I can go back to playing on big screens

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IAmTheRad posted:

The first delivery of the ebay items has been delivered. Hopefully they don't raise a fuss. An estimated time of Wednesday next week for all the deliveries to be finished (might be longer, winter storm in Ontario) will make me hopefully be able to order the deck no later than then. But as long as 2 are delivered, and get positive feedback, I can order the deck.

The MicroSD card will wait until all 3 are shipped. That should only take a day or 2 to arrive from Amazon. Hopefully at this time in 2 weeks I will have the deck in hand, ready to download Infinite Wealth onto it and just veg out all weekend playing it.

I know refurbs are on Steam right now, but I want that OLED. Nothing else will do.

Do you want a Deck dock that you can leave the Deck in while you play, or a USB-C hub with HDMI out to use the Deck as a controller while you play on the monitor? That'll affect the amount you spend a bit. Jsaux has a good rep for the more dock type offerings but is still cheaper than an official Valve dock, while I have a $20 Docktek USB-C hub that I stick in the case with my Deck because it's more portable than a dock.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 11, 2024

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Do you want a Deck dock that you can leave the Deck in while you play, or a USB-C hub with HDMI out to use the Deck as a controller while you play on the monitor? That'll affect the amount you spend a bit. Jsaux has a good rep for the more dock type offerings but is still cheaper than an official Valve dock, while I have a $20 Docktek USB-C hub that I stick in the case with my Deck because it's more portable than a dock.

It's not absolutely required right now. Like if I just needed something for plugging in a usb-a device, I can get one for cheap as I do have a usb-a hub.

I don't know yet if I'd prefer one that I could use the deck as a controller, or one that I use like a normal dock like if I was docking a Switch. It depends on how I feel when I have the deck in hand. It's just probably early on I might just use my PC with steam link in windowed mode to type in commands in desktop mode while setting everything up. Heck, I might not even need one at all. The one thing I know I don't need at all is one I can plug a nvme ssd into.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Just ordered my oled Steam Deck today to replace my lcd one. Honestly I couldn’t bring myself to play anything on my lcd deck once I decided to get the oled one so I can’t wait until it gets here.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I knew it sounded too good to be true.

https://twitter.com/gamingonlinux/status/1745391086829257013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I knew Ayaneo making a good decision with its devices was a bit farfetched.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lmao that’s absurd.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Coulda had a bad bitch

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah. Well then, nevertheless…

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So close. Soooooo close

Who am I kidding, it doesnt have trackpads, may as well be another poo poo android handheld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER
Has anybody messed with HoloISO? I’ve been waiting patiently for a public release of SteamOS that I can stick on a small desktop to use as a dedicated TV box. I considered trying HoloISO out but didn’t because I assumed it would have a ton of jank to it. Seeing even a small company slap it on a handheld makes me think either the OS is better than I thought or they are out of their goddamn minds and I’m curious which it is