Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That won't work, the desire to consume and accumulate is inherent, it's not part of capitalism. Capitalism just makes it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Ominous Jazz posted:

Gear Acquisition Syndrome or :gas: hits anyone with a hobby because it's easier and more tangible than working on ways to improve

is the only solution death with dignity

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ominous Jazz posted:

The solution as always is destroying capitalism painting ur fuckin mans

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kwyndig posted:

That won't work, the desire to consume and accumulate is inherent, it's not part of capitalism. Capitalism just makes it worse.

It's a key element of capitalism's underlying ideology (liberalism) that the drives capitalism engenders in people are simply baked into humanity's very essence and can at best be tweaked up or down a bit rather than created, destroyed, or transformed through the clash of opposing forces. This is why On Contradiction is such a useful and important TTRPG supplement!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

My mans are back home and I've got another week of training until then!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have found out that the early-teens daughter of some friends (who is also a good friend of one of my kids) plays a ton of D&D and she has been a very excited recipient of my TTRPG acquisition excess. I got into so many KS campaigns for play aids (terrain, minis/standees, maps, map clutter, etc) just before COVID and then never played in person again…

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
My frosthaven is still in the shipping box it came in. I even went in for the dividers and the vinyl stickers that come off. I will never finish Gloomhaven, let alone play frosthaven

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 6, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ninjoatse.cx posted:

My frosthaven is still in the slipping box it came in. I even went in for the dividers and the vinyl stickers that come off. I will never finish Gloomhaven, let alone play frosthaven

We don’t talk about *havens in this house.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Yeah.

*moves in front of his boxes with dividers that have never been touched past getting everything in place*

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Speaking of, I'd only heard about the *haven games in passing, never having actually played any of them, or really seen them in person. At least, until we got two copies of Frosthaven in at work. Totally didn't realize it was a 35 pound (16.2 kg) box. We don't even want to have the box too high off the ground just in case it falls, because we wouldn't want anyone to get seriously injured.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
If it makes anyone feel better I collect but then can't stand them eating up space and get rid of them. Sometimes not even reselling because cheaper stuff isn't worth the cost/effort and some more expensive stuff takes too long to sell and it constantly irks me. I've got several boardgames, including a brand new copy of Voidfall with sleeves and tri-layer boards, ready to go with me to a convention in Feb and if they're not coming home one way or another (those I won't trash, someone will take them for free at the con and I don't think I'll have a problem selling Voidfall specifically).

Actual question to go with this, although for TTRPGs instead of board games. What other options exist for Pulp Cthulhu besides Pulp Cthulhu, Achtung! Cthulhu 2d20, and Savage Worlds? Generally don't think I'm a fan of Savage Worlds or the Call of Cthulhu rules, and a tacked on redesign of the CoC rules for Pulp just seems like it'd be twice the suck. Admittedly I haven't read the Pulp Cthulhu rules, I just have no faith. As for the 2d20 system I really need to try it, I like most of what it does except for the meta-currency, and if I can't find anything else I'll mark down A!C as my thing to try. Otherwise I know there are several Pulp-style RPGs out there but I want the supernatural tie-in and magic/mystical options.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
You’ve still got to punch out all the tokens, sort the cards, and build the organiser you will inevitably need. At least there’s a backed plastic organiser for Frosthaven. Most of the Gloomhaven ones were wooden. That made the box fully capable of crushing a small dog.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

nessin posted:

If it makes anyone feel better I collect but then can't stand them eating up space and get rid of them. Sometimes not even reselling because cheaper stuff isn't worth the cost/effort and some more expensive stuff takes too long to sell and it constantly irks me. I've got several boardgames, including a brand new copy of Voidfall with sleeves and tri-layer boards, ready to go with me to a convention in Feb and if they're not coming home one way or another (those I won't trash, someone will take them for free at the con and I don't think I'll have a problem selling Voidfall specifically).

Actual question to go with this, although for TTRPGs instead of board games. What other options exist for Pulp Cthulhu besides Pulp Cthulhu, Achtung! Cthulhu 2d20, and Savage Worlds? Generally don't think I'm a fan of Savage Worlds or the Call of Cthulhu rules, and a tacked on redesign of the CoC rules for Pulp just seems like it'd be twice the suck. Admittedly I haven't read the Pulp Cthulhu rules, I just have no faith. As for the 2d20 system I really need to try it, I like most of what it does except for the meta-currency, and if I can't find anything else I'll mark down A!C as my thing to try. Otherwise I know there are several Pulp-style RPGs out there but I want the supernatural tie-in and magic/mystical options.

There's Pulse-Pounding Pulp for Everywhen, which is a generic version of Barbarians of Lemuria. I haven't played it yet, but it seemed neat on a read.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Gloomhaven functions much, much better as a videogame than an actual board game. Not because of rules complexity, mind you - the setup and teardown are just the worst.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Azran posted:

Gloomhaven functions much, much better as a videogame than an actual board game. Not because of rules complexity, mind you - the setup and teardown are just the worst.

After the first session,, we played exclusively with the assistance app. This was before the video game existed, though.

The video game also taught me that there are lots of things more fun at the computer than playing gloomhaven.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Azran posted:

I disagree quite a lot, unless you're playing solo.

You should probably use an app, but playing at a table - even a virtual one - is a very different experience.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah I mostly play solo. I've played physical, TTS and on the app and not having to dedicate an hour+ to teardown and setup is such a massive QOL improvement (that and not having to reteach the game to my group every time we meet up to play). That said I still believe it's the best dungeon crawler on the market but at this point in time the only version I'd recommend is JotL.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

nessin posted:

This recommendation depends on what exactly you mean by “pulp”; if you mean “action-filled, rules-light-to-medium system that doesn’t presuppose the struggle against the Mythos is ipso facto futile”, I think Fate of Cthulhu fits the bill decently. If you mean specifically “set in the pulp-era ‘30s & ‘40s,” not so much, though Fate’s level of rules abstraction means you don’t really need specific rules for, like, period-appropriate gear.

But on the gripping hand, if you’re not a fan of metacurrency, Fate is absolutely the wrong system for you.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

I’ve been obsessing over dungeons and the lifespan of adventurers lately. Since factors in to the start of rpgs from Strategos, it is essentially the thing that the players in the Dave’s and Gary games riffed off of. It happened so much they named the game after it.

So there’s an infinity of games about dungeon delves. We could go card games like Cardmaster or One Deck Dungeon. We could go full on board games like Dungeon! Or HeroQuest or Gloomhaven. And then there’s an infinity of ttrpgs on it with Dungeon Crawl Classics probably being the current champion there in spite of the OSR’s sometimes chudly status.

You go in, beat up a baddy, get loot, win. Simple, tried and true, and we’ve found ways to keep it interesting.

But then there’s the post dungeon or string of dungeons space. So you won. You defeated evil. Hurray. What’s next?

Lord of the Rings gets in to the story of getting older, trying to deal with the aftermath and vacuum of the big bad’s death. But LOTR gets dragged for its 9001 endings.

Rarely do we see the grey areas in a space where the darkness is repelled.

I think the only game I know of that touches on this is something like Hero’s Journey Home which is mostly the walk home after beating the bad guy.

So I’m curious.

Are there games out there that shift from a tabletop game about amassing wealth and power to defeat the evil, walking home and starting a life, and then getting older and basically becoming Max Von Sydow in Conan?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

PuttyKnife posted:

Are there games out there that shift from a tabletop game about amassing wealth and power to defeat the evil, walking home and starting a life, and then getting older and basically becoming Max Von Sydow in Conan?

I mean, that's fairly common in OSR style play, albeit as sort of a coda. You delve dungeons, get rich, and start accruing wealth and soft power. From there you either start doing domain play or retire your character when it doesn't feel good to keep risking them.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

LOTR has multiple endings?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!
Most people who saw the director's cut of Return of the King agree that the movie has like 3 endings.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Oh lordy. I just saw Return of the King once, enjoyed it, then never touched LOTR as a whole again because it didn't grip me.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

NachtSieger posted:

LOTR has multiple endings?
I'd call it three kinda?

There's the end of the epic quest ending with the destruction of the Ring and Sauron's defeat.

There's the return to the Shire and casting Saruman out if it.

Then there's the trip off to Valinor for Frodo, Bilbo, etc and Sam's return home.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

I'd call it three kinda?

There's the end of the epic quest ending with the destruction of the Ring and Sauron's defeat.

There's the return to the Shire and casting Saruman out if it.

Then there's the trip off to Valinor for Frodo, Bilbo, etc and Sam's return home.

There’s also other appendices that are sort of endings for other characters. There’s the whole to do about what Gimli and Legolas get up to, making mithril doors for the white city, killing off the remaining orcs, and then both setting sail to the grey lands.

Also where the Dwarves end up just sort of digging so far down they are forgotten.

Aragorn’s life after RotK is mostly getting ready for the return of the Blues in the sequel trilogy Tolkien abandoned. Or the eventual end of all things in Dagor Dagorath.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

PuttyKnife posted:

Back Again from the Broken Land jumps out immediately, although it's mostly focused on the "walking home and starting a life" (which is not the slam dunk you might think it is), and leaves what comes after for a short epilogue session.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

PuttyKnife posted:

Dagor Dagorath
Real George Lucas-y name here

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

ohhyeah posted:

Real George Lucas-y name here

It’s elvish for Battle of Battles or basically, “the end.”

But yeah.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PuttyKnife posted:

It’s elvish for Battle of Battles or basically, “the end.”

But yeah.

Fighty McFighterson

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nessin posted:

Trail of Cthulhu on the Gumshoe system exists to do Cthulhu adventures that lean more into the investigation-side of mythos stuff. I don't know what you'd count as pulp, but I suppose the early Kevin Crawford game, Silent Legions, also fits as a mythos-type game. You could run CoC scenarios in it, or it also has room to custom generate whole new Lovecraftian pantheon to tilt players with.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

sebmojo posted:

Fighty McFighterson

Basically the naming convention for like 50% of things from the First Age of the Sun and earlier. Like a lot of mythologies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean, the Lord of the Rings is meant to serve as a constructed mythology for Britain, a place where half the rivers are named "The River River" due to Roman / Celt linguistic confusion. A simple naming scheme obfuscated through language barriers seems appropriate.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Alright, yall got off course on lotr and after a lot of looking, I couldn’t find what I wanted. Makes me sad.

However, a shipment from Exalted Funeral showed up today and had my copy of Inhuman Conditions.

https://robots.management/

5 minute little rpg session mimicking the Voight-Kampff test.

I’ve played like Once Upon a Time and other narrative driven games but this one seems to fill a hole I didn’t know existed…in sort of the same way that You Meet in a Tavern, You Die in a Dungeon does.

Are there more of these little micro moment rpg/boardgames?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Inhuman Conditions is great, but you definitely need a certain type of group to get maximum enjoyment from it. I think RPGers generally get into quickly, but board gamers who don't ttrpg can have a hard time with it.

It's also a really fun game to watch two people play, which is fairly unique in the trad games space.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Azran posted:

Reminds me of how I have a mostly complete Descent: Journeys In The Dark 1st edition collection(just need Sea of Blood, the adventures book, and a couple other little miscellaneous bits and bobs) and it will probably never see play because it's a LOT of stuff(well that and apparently Descent is kind of a middling game in actual play), I'll probably make use of the minis someday though at least

PuttyKnife posted:

I’ve been obsessing over dungeons and the lifespan of adventurers lately. Since factors in to the start of rpgs from Strategos, it is essentially the thing that the players in the Dave’s and Gary games riffed off of. It happened so much they named the game after it.

So there’s an infinity of games about dungeon delves. We could go card games like Cardmaster or One Deck Dungeon. We could go full on board games like Dungeon! Or HeroQuest or Gloomhaven. And then there’s an infinity of ttrpgs on it with Dungeon Crawl Classics probably being the current champion there in spite of the OSR’s sometimes chudly status.

You go in, beat up a baddy, get loot, win. Simple, tried and true, and we’ve found ways to keep it interesting.

But then there’s the post dungeon or string of dungeons space. So you won. You defeated evil. Hurray. What’s next?

Lord of the Rings gets in to the story of getting older, trying to deal with the aftermath and vacuum of the big bad’s death. But LOTR gets dragged for its 9001 endings.

Rarely do we see the grey areas in a space where the darkness is repelled.

I think the only game I know of that touches on this is something like Hero’s Journey Home which is mostly the walk home after beating the bad guy.

So I’m curious.

I mean Domain play has been part of D&D since almost the beginning, a decent chunk of OSR stuff focuses on this kind of thing

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

PuttyKnife posted:

Someone help me remember: there's this published system agnostic (I think) framing device that's supposed to fit over a D&D like game where instead of the players telling the story as it happens, all the characters are telling their story at a tavern after retirement. So like every time someone would die someone else can come up with a "Obviously that's not what really happened, how we got out of it was blah blah blah." I was reading about it a year ago and thought it was brilliant at the time, now that your question reminded me of it I'm losing my mind trying to find it again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still think that the ideal way to play a paladin is basically as a fantasy superhero. Whether they're Spider-man, the Punisher, or Adam West's Batman.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

We've established a metaphysical rule that all paladins are good natured airheads. You can be a paladin in service of almost any concept; we've had Paladins of The Gym and a Paladin of Surfing (with a Beach Bully being the blackguard equivalent).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

Someone help me remember: there's this published system agnostic (I think) framing device that's supposed to fit over a D&D like game where instead of the players telling the story as it happens, all the characters are telling their story at a tavern after retirement. So like every time someone would die someone else can come up with a "Obviously that's not what really happened, how we got out of it was blah blah blah." I was reading about it a year ago and thought it was brilliant at the time, now that your question reminded me of it I'm losing my mind trying to find it again.
Dragon Union.

It's technically system agnostic, but definitely made with B/X in mind.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Dragon Union.

It's technically system agnostic, but definitely made with B/X in mind.

Thanks very much!