Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In the Age of AI, Her Is a Fairy Tale

quote:

When Spike Jonze’s Her came out in 2013, the film about a lonely man falling for an artificially intelligent operating system won widespread praise. Watching today, the qualities critics celebrated at the time are still there—it’s a gentle, enjoyably melancholy story, twee but not damnably so—but something else stands out. Though set in the near-future, Her captures Obama-era techno-optimism better than any other movie. It’s a time capsule, preserving dreams about the future that appear more naive the further we get from the 2010s.

Her takes place in a highly-stylized version of Los Angeles from a future near enough that its protagonist is a former LA Weekly journalist but distant enough that the skyline rivals Shanghai. In the film’s universe, the creation of the world’s first artificially intelligent operating system—a consumer software capable of learning and thinking like a human—is a recent, exciting development. Shortly after Her begins, the painfully lonesome and powerfully mustachioed writer Theodore Twombly (Joaquin Phoenix) buys one of these new operating systems. Voiced by Scarlett Johansson, the OS names itself “Samantha” and quickly becomes the most important companion in Theodore’s life. He soon starts calling her his girlfriend.

Although the phrase “artificial general intelligence” isn’t used in the movie, Samantha’s description of her capabilities sounds like AGI. “I have intuition,” she explains. “What makes me me is my ability to grow through my experiences.”

Watching Her today, as AI advances dominate conversations in tech, it’s interesting to see the warm-and-fuzzy approach to the rise of AGI companions. There’s no hint of a heel turn from Samantha. Near the end of the film, Theodore is distraught when she reveals that he’s not her only boyfriend—she has over 600 other romantic partners—but her polyamory is portrayed as evidence that she and Theodore are not compatible rather than something sinister on her part. She’s portrayed as inherently good, a sensitive and kind being with no ill will toward the humans who created her.

While Theodore’s ex-wife Catherine (Rooney Mara) dismisses his relationship with an OS as a sign of emotional immaturity, most of the people in Theodore’s life accept it fairly easily. He goes on a double-date with his coworker and his coworker’s human girlfriend without any fuss or embarrassment, and he hears stories about other people dating operating systems as well. The dynamic is quickly normalized, which seems even more plausible now, as people across the world are starting to “socialize” with character AIs with increasing frequency. The AI girlfriend experience isn’t sci-fi anymore. It’s just something lonely people do.

The sweetness of the human-robot relationship portrayed by Her comes across as quaint right now. But really, the most remarkable, startling aspect of rewatching Her a decade after its release has nothing to do with the AI romance. The thing that makes it really look like a fairy tale when viewed in 2023 isn’t that Samantha is benign. It’s that Samantha exists in a world where a non-famous working writer has a luxurious lifestyle. The quality of life in this future world is the most preposterous thing about it.

Theodore works for a company called BeautifulHandwrittenLetters.com, where customers pay to outsource writing notes to loved ones. It’s unclear exactly how popular or profitable the company is, but it appears to have a handsome, spacious office in the downtown center. As he has no other means of income referenced, and his family does not figure into the plot, there’s no indication that Theodore has inherited wealth or other revenue streams; he’s portrayed as an everyman, not a scion of privilege. He’s explicitly portrayed as not-a-genius; Samantha sorts through his journalistic work and politely concludes that only a fraction is worth preserving. No other literary triumphs warrant a mention. In other words, BeautifulHandwrittenLetters.com appears to fund his lifestyle.

And, poo poo—his lifestyle! Ole sad sack Theodore separated from his wife and is paying for a divorce lawyer, but he’s able to afford a luxury apartment in a skyscraper, with windows stretching from gleaming floor to high ceiling, overlooking the twinkly city lights. (It should be illegal to mope around so much if your apartment has views like that.) He never mentions money woes. On the contrary, he spends freely, buying a top-of-the-line, brand-new operating system, eating at upscale restaurants, donning clothes nice enough that his coworkers comment on their quality. What’s the commission rate on those tearjerker letters, exactly? Plus, he even owns the intellectual property to the missives he produces on the job, since he’s able to package them and get a book deal toward the end of the film without consulting his employer. Talk about wish fulfillment!

The future Los Angeles Her shows is notable for how great everything looks, how comfortable people are. Yes, there’s smog. But there’s also excellent public transit and apparently plentiful housing. The abrupt introduction of AGI into the world concerns some characters about whether it’s emotionally healthy to date the software, but it doesn’t generate any wider backlash. There’s no future shock, no social convulsions. There’s just arguments between individuals. The only conflicts are personal. (It’s actually very funny that Theodore owns an AGI and the only thing he does with it is date it.) Samantha and her ilk might steal your girl, but they’re not interested in supplanting humans elsewhere.

It’s a vision of the future that isn’t absent of tech critique—Jonze shows his characters isolating themselves in favor of screentime—but one which assumes the average American of the future will have a fancier life than people do now. People might be cooped up indoors arguing with holographic video games instead of making human connections, but they’re doing so in style. Economic progress is assumed.

The luxury in Her would be less conspicuous and inexplicable if Theodore were, I don’t know, a hedge fund manager or a software designer or even someone in the skilled trades. But he’s a writer. In a world where AGI exists. In a world where AGI is widely accepted and flourishing.

Theodore’s job is precisely the kind primed to be outsourced to AI
. If somebody’s willing to hire a surrogate to impersonate them at their most allegedly heartfelt, they’re not going to care whether the impersonator is flesh-and-blood or code-and-code. Yet, somehow, despite the advent of very obviously superior competition, Theodore’s career remains both stable and lucrative enough to afford an enviably bougie upper-middle-class lifestyle. Yeah, right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

What is SEO and what is the writing style and its purpose?

seo is search engine optimization and the seo style is all those garbage blog posts that go "before we cover how to take a screenshot on a macbook, let's review why you might want to take a screenshot"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Hell yeah hate these goddamn nerds so much go outside you dumb fuckin assholes

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

triple sulk posted:

not sure whether bitcoin or all of ai is worse for the environment *right now*

i'm guessing ai is probably worse if you add everything up

just wait until we teach the AI to mine Bitcoin for us

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Shear Modulus posted:

seo is search engine optimization and the seo style is all those garbage blog posts that go "before we cover how to take a screenshot on a macbook, let's review why you might want to take a screenshot"

So, this is like, writing copy based on how google sorts things?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i hope trump bans bitcoin like he wanted to

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

yes. the idea is trying to guess (if not outright knowing) what will shoot your website to the top for a given search, and squeezing in as many words to trigger the algorithm in that fashion

the issue is that this is not succinct writing, nor is it even necessarily factually correct writing, and so training a model on this sort of thing leads to problems

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

C-SPAM > [Doomsday Economics] Designed by clowns who are supervised by monkeys

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

... Wisdom Tree? The same fuckers who pumped out Christian NES shovelware and Super Noah's Ark 3D?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

i hope trump bans bitcoin like he wanted to

i will vote trump if he bans bitcoin and ai

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Lmao at the BRRR ticker. Im back on the capitalism train. Choo choo motherfuckers

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I tried explaining to an SVP of a $4b market cap public company today that if they did a better job planning some really basic software sales stuff they could make tens of millions of dollars a year more, and the response was "that feels like more of a 2025 plan" lmao

Choo choo ride the train

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol so is Bitcoin still an unregulated security

I don't understand how they can endorse a Bitcoin ETF but not Bitcoin itself

Can I start a Sinaloa cartel ETF?

bitcoin is like the one crypto thing the sec admits is not a security

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Frosted Flake posted:

Right. The big companies that do this were producing almost unimaginable amounts of "content" even in the pre-generative AI days. LLMs have upended the entire thing at this point, but there were content mills out there producing literally thousands of human-written 500-1000 word blog posts every day. In a lot of cases, the intention was never even to have a human read these articles, although everyone plays the game of pretending that they're actually creating useful content.

The ideal style tends to be as simple as possible with a lot of keyword rich phrases, but avoiding keyword stuffing, which is when you just repeat a single keyword or its synonyms over and over again. Find a local plumber or HVAC company with a website and look at any article on their blog and you'll find a good example of SEO drivel. There's a high likelihood that article (if it's not just AI- generated) was written by someone with zero domain knowledge or experience who had to put the whole thing together in 20 minutes or less for it to be monetarily worthwhile.

This stuff is everywhere and it's clearly deeply embedded in all these models. It's been relatively well known in that space for years that companies like OpenAI were just directly paying content mills for this stuff, too. Pretty much paying gig economy writers to put themselves out of a job, but through at least one layer of indirection.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1745279824694739435?t=Kdq4HIp4RJGYO4i5UDlOeA&s=19

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
... do people really use voice activated software poo poo? i n ever turn any of that cortana siri foxy babble bingle whatever poo poo on

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Xaris posted:

... do people really use voice activated software poo poo? i n ever turn any of that cortana siri foxy babble bingle whatever poo poo on

old people absolutely love that poo poo

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Xaris posted:

I use it exclusively to figure out what time it is when I'm in the shower which from what I've read is the least profitable way to use it from googles end lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

The only time I've ever used it is to tell my phone to set an alarm for a certain time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they are good when there are arguments over trivia at dinner and you need an independent source

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

The only time I've ever used it is to tell my phone to set an alarm for a certain time.

For me it's this and identifying a song that's playing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Xaris posted:

Several friends of my family use the voice to text thing on their phones to 'write' text messages.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
huh i guess i don't know anyone that ever uses it. i refuse to even turn it on, and 100% sure it's just to collect more advertising marketing data

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

i use it to change songs when doing shower karaoke but that's about it

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i have siri, alexa and ok google all turned on in every room of my house. but i never ask anything of them. i just want them to record me farting and having sex.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Xaris posted:

I only use it for making a grocery list when I'm cooking and noticing that I'm either low or missing ingredients.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mola Yam posted:

i have siri, alexa and ok google all turned on in every room of my house. but i never ask anything of them. i just want them to record me farting and having sex.

Low data cap, huh

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

triple sulk posted:

i will vote trump

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

lol we're setting our spaceship on fire so we can trade more imaginary rocks lmao

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

i use it for poo poo in the kitchen when my hands are covered in raw chicken juices

Entorwellian posted:

I only use it for making a grocery list when I'm cooking and noticing that I'm either low or missing ingredients.

:yeah:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

triple sulk posted:

i will vote trump if he bans bitcoin and ai

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

"alexa, bash my head between the concrete and my garage door until I'm dead"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Xaris posted:

I use it to play white noise while I sleep and play music while I'm taking a shower, and I yell at it whenever it tries to monetize itself. I feel like it's a pretty toxic relationship tbqh

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Crazypoops posted:

lol we're setting our spaceship on fire so we can trade more imaginary rocks lmao

feels good man cheers

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

gradenko_2000 posted:

Low data cap, huh

Lmao

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

triple sulk posted: