Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

RumbleFish posted:

Yeah, Alabama is a small and poor state that doesn't have an insanely rich donor base flowing from an industry that pumps out insanely rich people, but they're also an institution in the sport and arguably the most recognizable college football program. Gonna be interesting to see what wins out here -- historical precedent (decades upon decades of success) or capitalist realities (made all the more imperative in the NIL era).

Alabama has plenty of money, it is just terribly distributed, which actually works in the institution's favor because it means that multimillionaire shitheads with like tin roofing empires line up to throw money at the program.

They're #12 on this list:

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/college-sports-top-donors-ranking-the-most-generous-athletics-boosters-214986422/

and if you think that means they're at that much of a disadvantage against the higher ranked schools, let me direct you to #1 on the list and ask you where their head football coach currently is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

dirty shrimp money posted:

Like his spirit ever left. Who else could be Horace?

We are all Horace

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
this is where a relegation system would be helpful. alabama got rekt and saban is leaving, they should go to some G5 conference

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

that's a pretty tired troll i'm sorry. i'll do better.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

GD_American posted:

Alabama has plenty of money, it is just terribly distributed, which actually works in the institution's favor because it means that multimillionaire shitheads with like tin roofing empires line up to throw money at the program.

They're #12 on this list:

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/college-sports-top-donors-ranking-the-most-generous-athletics-boosters-214986422/

and if you think that means they're at that much of a disadvantage against the higher ranked schools, let me direct you to #1 on the list and ask you where their head football coach currently is.

that's just boosters the institutions themselves have resources too and that poo poo rockets Texas and other absurdly rich programs up the list.

but yea Oregon can match whatever Bama offers its just a question if they want to

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think the next few seasons are going to be interesting. Saban this year, I could see Harbs taking another NFL job now that he is at the top of the mountain. That is two blue blood schools which are going to poach big names from other big schools.

I could also see a lot of pushback on the current recruiting schedule and NIL situation imploding. How many years can school boosters throw money around (which is probably surprisingly less than we think) for no results before the market tightens up? I could see dropping the early signing day due to the new CFP schedule because it has to feel impossible.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

haters in shambles, harbaugh retired saban fair and square

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1745243860417360339

No Sign Stealing, No Obstruction, Complete and Total EXONERATION. GO BLUE!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I. M. Gei posted:

I don't have a link to a study with hard numbers, but something like 5 out of 6 seniors who suffer major fractures or broken bones die with a year of it happening, from resulting complications that are basically unpreventable. This is also why I'm amazed Mitch McConnell made it past Christmas after his rib fracture last March, and why there's still a fairly good chance he may not make it past THIS March.

EDIT: I only bring that up because you said Paterno broke his pelvis. Did the break or complications thereof contribute to his death at all?

All I've read is that it was the chemo that got him in the end

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hahahahaha

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I mean the odds are certainly against them. They basically need almost instantaneous success in order for the fanbase/boosters to not go loving feral after having such a prolonged stretch of dominance. On top of that Bama has already started slipping into 2nd behind UGA the last few years and LSU has started getting scary again. Add in more decent opponents coming into the conference and the need to win multiple playoff games even if you get there and yea, it's not gonna be an easy place to win.

Bama also doesn't have the absolutely insane institutional advantages that like OSU, Texas, or even USC has. It's not a constantly de facto powerhouse regardless of results. They're closer to Tennessee where they're always gonna be in the mix and they've got a lot of dedicated alums/boosters but its not a given that they're just one decent coach away from perennial contender.

lmfao

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://twitter.com/cfbonfox/status/1745267113974247428

That’s actually an interesting idea. I don’t know about “goat edition” but it would be a neat gesture to match the changing times.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

remembering when mike price had the alabama job and then immediately lost it going to strip clubs and chuckling to myself.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Adun posted:

Surely Bama already has their guy. Why would Saban just gently caress off without making sure Bama has a replacement lined up

Standard protocol at most institutions with even a shred of professionalism is to wait until after news of someone's departure goes public before even thinking about looking for their replacement. And a lot of places go a step further and hire an independent search firm to help them find and pick the replacement, which adds time to the process.

I don't know if Bama is doing that second part, but I highly doubt they gave any serious thought to Saban's replacement before today, beyond maybe scribbling some names on a scrap of paper in a desk drawer just in case.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

that's just boosters the institutions themselves have resources too and that poo poo rockets Texas and other absurdly rich programs up the list.

but yea Oregon can match whatever Bama offers its just a question if they want to

The institutional money can’t be used for NIL so it’s only useful for facilities and coaching contracts and Bama hasn’t had any issue competing with the richest programs on both fronts. Realistically there’s an upper limit on what any school is willing to pay for a coach because it still has to be approved by a board and, if it’s a public school, sold as a worthwhile use of money.

Bama has an advantage in that literally nobody anywhere in the state gives a poo poo about anything other than football so there’s never any political or institutional friction involved in doing what they need to do.

If Lanning leaves Oregon it will be because of things other than money like being closer to his home turf, easier recruiting, and the fact that the entire state is aligned behind making Bama football successful.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/JoeBuettner/status/1745239498533839226

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hes way ahead of you
https://twitter.com/UA_Athletics/status/1698186166908944668

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Warbird posted:

The Bear was cold in the ground with 3 weeks of his last coached game.

Holy poo poo

Sash! posted:

Ten weeks. He was diagnosed with lung cancer literally two days after he was fired. A month to the day later, he fell and broke his pelvis. Slightly a month later (January 13, which was a Friday and definitely ruined a weekend), he went to the hospital because he was not responding to the chemo and died nine days later.

I don't think it can be attributed to the "old man stops working and immediately dies" phenomenon.

Oh, yeah, I wasn't thinking it'd be that phenomenon; more I was just hoping he didn't already have something he was being treated for or needed to be, and he's retiring because of that and not because he wants to.

Seaniqua posted:

It’s just about money. If Oregon ponies up, he’ll stay there

Now this is where the Phil Knight money helps!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

sometimes, if rarely, karma is swift

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The institutional money can’t be used for NIL so it’s only useful for facilities and coaching contracts and Bama hasn’t had any issue competing with the richest programs on both fronts. Realistically there’s an upper limit on what any school is willing to pay for a coach because it still has to be approved by a board and, if it’s a public school, sold as a worthwhile use of money.

Bama has an advantage in that literally nobody anywhere in the state gives a poo poo about anything other than football so there’s never any political or institutional friction involved in doing what they need to do.

If Lanning leaves Oregon it will be because of things other than money like being closer to his home turf, easier recruiting, and the fact that the entire state is aligned behind making Bama football successful.

i mean coaching contracts and facilities are a big one, but yea while having possibly the greatest coach of all time the money has been sufficient. lets see if it stays that way if they settle into just "good" status for awhile. i feel like the biggest immediate hit will be to recruiting, they have insane name brand recognition but how much of that was tied to saban specifically? again, we'll find out.

we've just seen this a few times with historic coaches and the dude who follows is never as good and often even when they're just normal good they still get constantly poo poo on by the fans. and almost none of those dudes were Saban levels of dominant coming off another great year

lmao and yea true Bama's greatest advantage is they're in a state that would gladly rob every public coffer for football.

and agreed on Lanning. I don't think Oregon is that much worse than Bama on recruiting just bc of their insane Nike association but its certainly not as easy to recruit in the Pacific Northwest as it is the south. Still think he's an idiot if he takes the job though, he's gonna get insane money at Oregon and has a much much longer leash

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances Bama is 3, Texas is 2. Turns out being wildly successful during cfb's most lucrative period in history is a good way to shore up some cash.

edit: if you look at just what they've spent on football:

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 11, 2024

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

wow..michigan really makes it work with such a small budget. really are built different here

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Victorious Radia posted:

wow..michigan really makes it work with such a small budget. really are built different here

If you scrimp and save in another two and half decades maybe you can win another.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you scrimp and save in another two and half decades maybe you can win another.

here's hoping :cheers:

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
I'm expecting it to be Lane now. Hope just came to Oxford with all this transfer craziness, and that just has to get stamped down post haste.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007
Saban just retired to avoid getting embarrassed by the ascendent powerhouse Curt Cignetti-coached Indiana Hoosiers.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Saban running for senate is the next logical move to really square off against auburn

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Sash! posted:

Ten weeks. He was diagnosed with lung cancer literally two days after he was fired. A month to the day later, he fell and broke his pelvis. Slightly a month later (January 13, which was a Friday and definitely ruined a weekend), he went to the hospital because he was not responding to the chemo and died nine days later.

I don't think it can be attributed to the "old man stops working and immediately dies" phenomenon.

I mean Jim Valvano won the '84 title at NC State, immediately ran to the ESPY's to give his big Never Give Up speach, and then collapsed and died on-stage.

I remember it going that way I didn't do any research so don't correct me if I'm wrong.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

facialimpediment posted:

haters in shambles, harbaugh retired saban fair and square

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1745243860417360339

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/football/report-oregon-coach-dan-lanning-currently-in-tuscaloosa

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

quote:

[Lanning] served on the Alabama staff in 2015 as a graduate assistant, helping the Crimson Tide win a national championship over Clemson. He also spent time on Kirby Smart's staff from 2018-21 as defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach before accepting the head position at Oregon.

22-5 at Oregon in two seasons. Really hope the buyout scares them off. De Boer is right there without a contract extension!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Weird feeling. Vrabel has no connection to Bama, only spent 3 years coaching in college, has been in the NFL for a decade and will surely get NFL HC offers. Doesn’t really make sense for either side.

I think it’s relatively known that he’s not super interested in coaching college unless it’s as the HC at Ohio State.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Truther Vandross posted:

I think it’s relatively known that he’s not super interested in coaching college unless it’s as the HC at Ohio State.

If he waits one more season, that job could be his.

Ryan Day is probably not long for OSU.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Day is the worst case scenario because he’s already on his way out so it wouldn’t make the OSU fanbase mad and watching him get run out of Tuscaloosa wouldn’t be as funny as watching an actually good coach go through it. plus the quicker Bama fires whoever they hire here, the quicker they get to someone who might actually be given some leeway and bring them back to relevance

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Jack Harbaugh, who came out of retirement 21 years after leading the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers to the 2002 Division I-AA Championship, gets a 2023 Big Ten title ring and a 2024 CFP Championship ring due to his being an assistant head coach against East Carolina, UNLV and Bowling Green earlier this season.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

harperdc posted:

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/football/report-oregon-coach-dan-lanning-currently-in-tuscaloosa

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

22-5 at Oregon in two seasons. Really hope the buyout scares them off. De Boer is right there without a contract extension!

Nooo

On the budget slide, what’s all UW’s program money going to? Paying off new facilities?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
that's probably it, they did a major rebuild of Husky Stadium not too long ago

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Expected, but fuuuuck

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1745416259242434885?t=yQTsdXguNHzU6N4wVTSvmw&s=19

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Ugly John posted:

I'm expecting it to be Lane now. Hope just came to Oxford with all this transfer craziness, and that just has to get stamped down post haste.

Jalen Milroe in a lane kiffin offense makes me rock hard tbqh

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think the next few seasons are going to be interesting. Saban this year, I could see Harbs taking another NFL job now that he is at the top of the mountain. That is two blue blood schools which are going to poach big names from other big schools.

The coaching carousel would look like one of those YouTube videos where some guy hooks up a DC power supply to cheap toys so they spaz and burn out.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

dirty shrimp money posted:

The coaching carousel would look like one of those YouTube videos where some guy hooks up a DC power supply to cheap toys so they spaz and burn out.

Slow-mo Guys preview of this season's coaching carousel in light of recent news: https://youtu.be/zs7x1Hu29Wc?si=6K3whJQKV5m-w_L7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I sure hope no one shows this to Jim. Repeatedly.