Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

DarkHorse posted:

Can voters only vote in one or the other? Both? If both, how can you apportion delegates? If the primary is meaningless, what happens to the winner?

How loving confusing

Winner will receive all the delegates.

But yes, weird... not sure why they chose that way? Texas does both primary and caucus, the primary vote splits the delegates proportionately while the caucus is winner take all. Obama technically lost the Texas primary to Clinton but they were close enough on the delegate split that he took more delegates thanks to winning the Caucus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

The Lone Badger posted:

According to my data it’s our Bronze-Age Collapse.
loving Sea People

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Can voters only vote in one or the other? Both? If both, how can you apportion delegates? If the primary is meaningless, what happens to the winner?

How loving confusing

The two are completely and totally unrelated, voters can vote in both if they wish.

The winner of the caucus will get all the delegates, and the winner of the primary will get jack poo poo, because the primary has nothing to do with the state or national party.

Since the primary is meaningless, absolutely nothing happens to the winner, good or bad. The national party will completely ignore the result of the primary election. At most, the primary winner might be able to grab a few favorable headlines, but not too many because most reporters will know better. That's why every candidate with even the slightest bit of hope is running in the caucus rather than the primary.

Why is a primary being held at all if it's completely meaningless? Because the state passed a law saying the state had to hold a primary, and Republicans sued because they wanted to keep doing a caucus instead. The lawsuit ended in a compromise solution - the state is still legally required to run a Republican primary, but the GOP isn't bound by the results of that primary - the party can still choose to apportion delegates using caucuses instead if they want to, and that's exactly what they're going to do.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Jethro posted:

loving Sea People

Dorian Chain Migration

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jethro posted:

loving Sea People

The real Sea People was rising sea levels all along.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

A large and relatively peaceful Empire for 200 years?

I'm talking about the form of government, not its efficacy. Sure the Empire was relatively peaceful but the transfer of power was frequently bloody, chaotic, and somewhat less consensus-based than it was under the Republic. Consuls were constrained in numerous ways that emperors weren't. That gradual move toward autocracy is what I was getting at, not the relative happiness of the citizenry.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

The real Sea People was rising sea levels all along.

No the rising sea levels is just going to be what makes it easier for the sea people to raid further inland during their inevitable return.

Caros
May 14, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Hate to be That Guy but the Ghandi Civ thing is an urban legend

Goons really do ruin everything.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm talking about the form of government, not its efficacy. Sure the Empire was relatively peaceful but the transfer of power was frequently bloody, chaotic, and somewhat less consensus-based than it was under the Republic. Consuls were constrained in numerous ways that emperors weren't. That gradual move toward autocracy is what I was getting at, not the relative happiness of the citizenry.

I think its less about "Just like Rome" and more that all Empires suffer paralyzing problems without the means or wills or capacities to see it through. It's just that the US system because of how it cargo cults various aspects of Roman civil society by coincidence has problems that resemble Romes on a surface level (for instance while the US has many costly military commitments, the US mainland isn't even remotely under a similar threat as Rome's borders were during the 3rd Crisis).

An example would be the gradual uptick in Japanese militerism that eroded the authority of its civilian government during the early Showa era; can hardly point to Rome to draw meaningful analogies but you also had its form of government, and its norms, eroded in favor of powerful military figures.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, they're alleging trips together, hotel rooms, purchases from accounts, that sort of thing. So if true there should be receipts. They're alleging things that are trackable.

Perhaps we're all cursed and Trump is, in fact, the instrument of our destruction at the hands of YHWH.

At this point I could certainly believe that the Antichrist is in fact this stupid and hosed up.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

The two are completely and totally unrelated, voters can vote in both if they wish.

The winner of the caucus will get all the delegates, and the winner of the primary will get jack poo poo, because the primary has nothing to do with the state or national party.

Since the primary is meaningless, absolutely nothing happens to the winner, good or bad. The national party will completely ignore the result of the primary election. At most, the primary winner might be able to grab a few favorable headlines, but not too many because most reporters will know better. That's why every candidate with even the slightest bit of hope is running in the caucus rather than the primary.

Why is a primary being held at all if it's completely meaningless? Because the state passed a law saying the state had to hold a primary, and Republicans sued because they wanted to keep doing a caucus instead. The lawsuit ended in a compromise solution - the state is still legally required to run a Republican primary, but the GOP isn't bound by the results of that primary - the party can still choose to apportion delegates using caucuses instead if they want to, and that's exactly what they're going to do.

What in the gently caress lol, this is insanely stupid.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Caros posted:

Eh, DCFADP.

Also if you really want to see some nerd fighting let me ask you this: What is America's Byzantium?

My spicy answer: nowhere - America is already the British Byzantium.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ms Adequate posted:

?

And I'm your widening gyre, baby

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Caros posted:

... but also:

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Hate to be That Guy but the Ghandi Civ thing is an urban legend

The one spelled out above this post is specifically an urban legend that I started on tvtropes to troll people.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tuna-Fish posted:

... but also:

The one spelled out above this post is specifically an urban legend that I started on tvtropes to troll people.

Wtf?!? I've read web articles detailing the bug, and I swear they even quoted people who worked on the game. And it was just you loving with me all along??

Was there really no "negative aggression" bug in civ?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Wtf?!? I've read web articles detailing the bug, and I swear they even quoted people who worked on the game. And it was just you loving with me all along??

All of those web articles sourced from tvtropes.

The reason gandhi was like that in Civ 1 is that everyone was like that in civ1. There was just not a lot of difference between the AI behaviour.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If it's any consideration, IIRC Ghandi would go nuke-happy once he got nukes (just like every other leader), but only against civilizations that had declared war on India at any point in the game. Otherwise, all you got was him warning that his words are backed by nuclear weapons, even if he's just doing the in-game equivilant of asking for a cup of sugar. It's just that India was focused on peacefully researching the tech tree, so they tended to get nukes earlier than other civilizations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

However this ends up this little derail is :discourse:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

Eh, DCFADP.

Oh yes, absolutely.

what the gently caress does that mean??

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Trump Legal Troubles / Video Game Mechanics Oddities Discussion Thread

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tenkaris posted:

Oh yes, absolutely.

what the gently caress does that mean??

David Cameron hosed A Dead Pig

sometimes followed by the initials for In The Mouth.

After the 2015 UK election that he unexpectedly won, one of the super rich financiers who felt he was instrumental to that unexpected win felt snubbed that Cameron didn't give him a position in government or higher peerage, so he had an unauthorised biography of Cameron published that claimed that, in order to be part of a (not so) secret society / elites club, the initiation ritual required him to insert his penis into a decapitated pig's mouth to simulate porcine fellatio.

Is it true? Who can say, but Pigfucker Dave is now an indelible shadow over his legacy.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Oh okay, Google only lead me back to SA posts :lol:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Jethro posted:

loving Sea People

Mycanean Greeks, on a boat piled with the purloined treasures of the Mediterranean: we're all trying to find the guy that did this.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Sooo…

I have had an intrusive thought that’s been bothering me.

If: I think Donald Trump was a participant in insurrection and shouldn’t be allowed to run for President.

Then: It follows that I consider the Jan 6 events and the MAGA movement to be a failed right revolutionary event. I think the MAGA movement itself considers Jan 6 a revolutionary event that failed.

If: Revolution and and counter revolution are a dialectic pair.

Then: They always occur together.

Then: There already is already counter revolution opposed to the right fascist/ MAGA movement, even if it isn’t organized or acknowledged or self aware.

Then the last assumption: revolutionary / counter revolutionary dialectics produce terrors after successful revolutions in the resulting conflicts because one or both sides conclude them necessary.

I think the MAGA side reaches this conclusion if they win the elections. The current rhetoric and actual preparation is of a purge of government of the “disloyal”, that’s the explicit published plan. They’ve probably already reached this conclusion.

They've already reached that conclusion. They have stated, explicitly, their intention to purge the government of anyone unwilling to swear loyalty to Donald Trump. They have stated a desire, explicitly, to try and in some cases execute both current and former members of the government. They have stated, explicitly, their intention to use appointed attorneys general to prosecute their political opponents in order to punish them. (In no cases have they specified for crimes.)

There is no, "Oh no, if we do this hard thing against the fascists, they will do it to us." They are announcing, very loudly, their intention to do illegal and immoral things to anyone whom they deem opposes them. For God's sake, the state of Texas deputized every citizen in their state to prosecute a woman for miscarrying.

The MAGA party wants to go full Robespierre, and you're kidding yourself if you think they'll even try to follow the law. This is why we must use every instrument of power in our legal system to defeat this evil movement.

Edit:

Ms Adequate posted:

Eh, DCFADP.

Also if you really want to see some nerd fighting let me ask you this: What is America's Byzantium?

:stare: I...never thought of it that way before, but...I can't say that it's wrong exactly...

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 11, 2024

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Sid Meier himself explicitly denies the existence of the bug (and marvels at its popular reach) in his memoir.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I was positive that the nuclear Ghandi thing was actually real in one of the Civ games and it turns out it was actually real in Civ 5, but only Civ 5.

quote:

Through Civilization IV, a popular misconception held that Gandhi was "still" programmed with a tendency to use nuclear weapons as an Easter egg, but no such behavior was purposely added to the games by Firaxis. The first such intentional inclusion of Nuclear Gandhi was in Civilization V. Civilization V lead game designer Jon Shafer set Gandhi's "Build Nuke" and "Use Nuke" parameters to the highest possible value, 12. Shafer said that he did this as a joke.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It's Byzantias all the way down

Ynglaur posted:

They've already reached that conclusion. They have stated, explicitly, their intention to purge the government of anyone unwilling to swear loyalty to Donald Trump. They have stated a desire, explicitly, to try and in some cases execute both current and former members of the government. They have stated, explicitly, their intention to use appointed attorneys general to prosecute their political opponents in order to punish them. (In no cases have they specified for crimes.)

There is no, "Oh no, if we do this hard thing against the fascists, they will do it to us." They are announcing, very loudly, their intention to do illegal and immoral things to anyone whom they deem opposes them. For God's sake, the state of Texas deputized every citizen in their state to prosecute a woman for miscarrying.

The MAGA party wants to go full Robespierre, and you're kidding yourself if you think they'll even try to follow the law. This is why we must use every instrument of power in our legal system to defeat this evil movement.

Edit:

:stare: I...never thought of it that way before, but...I can't say that it's wrong exactly...

Yeah remember it's all projection at this point. They know what they want to do once they have power and they assume that's what everyone else is going to do against them, which justifies them doing all the nasty poo poo they're planning.

It's this weird circular logic, self-fulfilling prophecy thing

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tuna-Fish posted:

... but also:

That is fair.

I've honestly sort of come around on the idea of ecstatic truth. Some things deserve to be real. Gandhi is a nuke happy lunatic, Andrew Tate got caught by Gretta Thunberg, that guy at Jan 6 tased himself to death in the balls and David Cameron hosed that dead pig.

Some things simply deserve to be true.

In actual trump news:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1745280894720504075?t=l6mYPhDwQZ5YycPEQ4p7aw&s=19

Reporters worked on this story for months and he just openly owns it on Fox news. Yeah I took eight million form China in office. I did things for them obviously I should have it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think its less about "Just like Rome" and more that all Empires suffer paralyzing problems without the means or wills or capacities to see it through. It's just that the US system because of how it cargo cults various aspects of Roman civil society by coincidence has problems that resemble Romes on a surface level (for instance while the US has many costly military commitments, the US mainland isn't even remotely under a similar threat as Rome's borders were during the 3rd Crisis).

An example would be the gradual uptick in Japanese militerism that eroded the authority of its civilian government during the early Showa era; can hardly point to Rome to draw meaningful analogies but you also had its form of government, and its norms, eroded in favor of powerful military figures.

So let me preface this by admitting "the US is going to fall just like Rome!" is one of the most boring, overplayed, bullshit proclamations ever- and is especially popular amongst the chuds, who usually mean it in a "Rome and the US were once moral and pure and fell / is falling due to degeneracy / gay people" kind of way. I definitely acknowledge that and it's infuriating to come across. That being said, I think there is an interesting comparison to be made between the reliance on social / political norms as a check against personal ambition in Republican Rome and the US. Both governments were rather obvious attempts to constrain the ability of one person to assume total control of the state, but the actual mechanisms to prevent such an occurrence are both largely informal - for example the soft prohibition on Presidents not running for 3rd terms. That was a powerful informal rule that remained in place for over a century and we have actual historical evidence to suggest the norm did dissuade multiple men from running for a 3rd term, even when it would be perfectly legal for them to do so.

So yeah, the comparison is definitely eye-rolling most of the time, but I think this may be one exception.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Intermittent reminder that Meidas Touch is a family of grifters with a business model of inaccurate clickbait used to generate attention and fundraising that ends up mostly unspent while they pay themselves as advisors to their hired contractors and threaten to sue reporters who investigate the arrangement.

For instance:

quote:

"I own hotels, all over the, I don't get free money," Trump said. "Somebody rents a hotel room, etc, etc. Much money I gave back. In fact, I didn't have to do it. You know, George Washington was a very rich man. People don't know that, in his essentially White House, which wasn't built, but they had an office, he had a business desk and he had a country desk right next to each other. You're allowed to do that. I didn't do it."

"I put everything in trust. And if I have a hotel and somebody comes in from China, that's a small amount of money. And it sounds like a lot of money. That's a small. But I was doing services for that. People were staying in these massive hotels, these beautiful hotels, because I have the best hotels, I have the best clubs, I have the best clubs, I have great stuff and they stay there and they pay. I don't get $8 million for doing nothing like Hunter," Trump said. "I don't get I don't get $500,000. I don't get $500,000 for doing a painting. It's not a bad idea, I guess, if you can get away with it."
(Via fox reporting, validated by internetarchive auto-generated transcript)

There's a recurring issue with their horseshit being trotted through the thread at face value and this is another great example of a tweet that actively misinforms.

In actual Trump news, Kise is giving closing statements in the New York bench trial. Thus far it's been a recitation of the greatest hits that Engoron's already explicitly rejected - Statute of limitations, worthless statements, lack of damages or complaints, Mar-A-Lago assessments, Michael Cohen bad, etc.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And to think all of this could have been avoided if he had cut all business ties like you're supposed to upon becoming president. Too bad we left that as a convention and not a hard requirement

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Paracaidas posted:

Intermittent reminder that Meidas Touch is a family of grifters with a business model of inaccurate clickbait used to generate attention and fundraising that ends up mostly unspent while they pay themselves as advisors to their hired contractors and threaten to sue reporters who investigate the arrangement.

I've been annoyed by Meidas Touch reporting because of its clickbaity nature but I've tolerated it because it seemed to be reporting events faster than other sources and give more background/context by people with legal experience (instead of typical journalism regurgitation "person A says this; person B says this", I'd be interested in any better alternatives people could suggest.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

DarkHorse posted:

I've been annoyed by Meidas Touch reporting because of its clickbaity nature but I've tolerated it because it seemed to be reporting events faster than other sources and give more background/context by people with legal experience (instead of typical journalism regurgitation "person A says this; person B says this", I'd be interested in any better alternatives people could suggest.
As we see with the tweet today, "literally nothing" is a solid alternative. For legal perspective, there are a few sources of varying bias and competence that (like all reporting] need to be taken with a critical eye but don't have a history of intentionally lying to their fanbase for profit.

On the legal side - The lawfare crew is good about delineating their reporting on "what happened" and "what I think this means" but they're all mostly ex national security administrative state folks and that bleeds in to a lot of their coverage and analysis on broader topics (as well as the things that irk them about Trump). It's not going to be bite-sized and easily digestible, but trying to understand the issues at play in a couple tweets or quick 30 second video is going to lead to Meidas Touch type issues even among outlets with a business model that isn't founded on lying to you in a way that inspires you to repeat the lie elsewhere.

Paracaidas posted:

In actual Trump news, Kise is giving closing statements in the New York bench trial. Thus far it's been a recitation of the greatest hits that Engoron's already explicitly rejected - Statute of limitations, worthless statements, lack of damages or complaints, Mar-A-Lago assessments, Michael Cohen bad, etc.
A reminder because it's been a minute: Pretrial, Engoron ruled on the one claim with the lowest threshold - (overly and inaccurately summarized) that a pattern of fraud had occurred. The trial is about both the size of punishment (disgorgement) and the remaining claims: that the fraud was both intentional and material (he meant to do it, and it mattered)

Kise is arguing a definition of materiality that hews closer to the common usage of the word than any legal or professional definition: To be material, any alleged misstatements or frauds would have to have actually changed the behavior of a victim... he argues (and I actually agree) that the state hasn't proven that and to the extent there has been testimony, it's been that Deutschbank's decision-making was not materially impacted by the fraud.

The issue is that Kise's standard is pretty flatly not the standard. As MSNBC contributor Lisa Rubin notes:
https://twitter.com/lawofruby/status/1745481006633595191

This tracks the standard used for false statements to police/feds, that the statements could, if relied upon, have impeded the investigation with no requirement to prove that the statement was relied upon or that it impeded the investigation in any way.

I am much more comfortable with that standard in a civil case with civil penalties where the compelling public interest is clearly in the accuracy of financial reporting. In the cop sense, it's one of the most abusive and abused elements of the criminal justice system and cuts dramatically against the public interest - we've seen Trump abuse this previously during the Durham bullshit, and can expect it to continue unfettered under both Dem and GOP administrations in the future.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

haveblue posted:

And to think all of this could have been avoided if he had cut all business ties like you're supposed to upon becoming president. Too bad we left that as a convention and not a hard requirement

Mostly what he did was prove just how toothless the emoluments clause is without an actively hostile Congress.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

DarkHorse posted:

I've found the Legal AF podcast episodes that don't have Ben hosting as informative and more sober. IANAL, etc. etc. His shtick of saying every. thing. OUT. raged. and kind of. weirdly paced. is annoying.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I’ve been enjoying Strict Scrutiny, which covers courts in general and that often includes Trump legal news.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Ynglaur posted:

I've found the Legal AF podcast episodes that don't have Ben hosting as informative and more sober. IANAL, etc. etc. His shtick of saying every. thing. OUT. raged. and kind of. weirdly paced. is annoying.

Yeah I ignore Ben almost entirely, I was mostly referring to the Legal AF stuff with Popok and that lady lawyer they occasionally have on

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Police responded to a bomb threat at Engoron's house today, hours before closing arguments were scheduled to start.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/bomb-threat-targeted-home-judge-trumps-civil-fraud-trial-rcna133416

The article makes it sound like it could be related to Engoron not allowing Trump to testify.

quote:

Trump had asked to deliver part of the closing arguments himself, but Engoron rejected the request Wednesday in a contentious email exchange with Trump’s lawyers after the former president refused to commit to only speaking about the facts of the case and not engage in any attacks.

“You are not allowing President Trump, who has been wrongfully demeaned and belittled by an out of control, politically motivated Attorney General, to speak about things that must be spoken about,” Trump attorney Kise wrote in an email to Engoron.

Engoron replied, “Take it or leave it. Now or never,” and gave Kise seven minutes to agree to his terms. Kise did not respond, prompting Engoron to say Trump won’t testify.

This whole thing is almost certainly a result of treating Trump with kid gloves when it came to him spouting all his bullshit on truth social, making vague statements against Engoron's secretary and bitching about how unfairly he's been treated.

Hopefully the judges on his other trials see this and grounds him like the petulant child he is.

Also, satire is dead.

quote:

Outside the courthouse, protesters chanted behind a banner that said, “No Dictators in the USA,” briefly blocking traffic before law enforcement officers moved them out of the way.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

And of course Trump spoke at closing arguments at his trial today, basically going off on a rant when the judge asked him if he’d follow the rules.

https://apnews.com/article/b36abe2fd695d0172e71f8ef9c5ee7f3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

smax posted:

And of course Trump spoke at closing arguments at his trial today, basically going off on a rant when the judge asked him if he’d follow the rules.

https://apnews.com/article/b36abe2fd695d0172e71f8ef9c5ee7f3

Yeah, I don't know if insulting the judge to his face is a good call when he's the sole person in charge of exactly how hosed you are.

He's nominally doing all of this stuff because he only cares about appealing, but also he's already pissed off the New York Court of Appeals by doing this same poo poo. I don't have the knowledge-base to make predictions, but that doesn't seem like a good thing to me.