Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If anything popular sentiment has swung to Corbyn's side as Israel reacted to a massacre of 1000 people by slaughtering women and children en masse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

kecske posted:

hell yeah just dump more poo poo onto teachers, I'm sure they'll love the transition into care staff

This reminds that when I was in school they'd have people come to class and teach us how to brush our teeth, think it happened multiples times somewhere around grades 1-4. I remember we all got our own toothbrushes and a lady would stand with a pair of huge dentures and a huge brush and show us how to go about brush our teeth, even how to hold the brush.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was bought an electric toothbrush and it really can't be overstated how useful they are. Only complaint is its timing hints are too frequent. gently caress you brush I'm done when I say I'm done.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

If anything popular sentiment has swung to Corbyn's side as Israel reacted to a massacre of 1000 people by slaughtering women and children en masse.

I doubt that somehow. The October 7th attack was an atrocity and it didn't become less of one just because the Israelis responded with a pogrom. Corbyn was still calling poo poo murdering bastards his friends. The Board of Deputies doesn't get to call him out for it, though, because their main beef with Corbyn is that he doesn't think that Jews have the right to kill whoever they want.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ms Adequate posted:

Yes, if only I had mentioned working with the locals or something

crispix posted:

lol 99 with his little red, pudding, wetherspoons pub bore face of consternation

smellmycheese posted:

And pricklier and prone to argument as Jeffrey Donaldson with a thistle up his rear end

Lol, a rare moment of Nordie unity when a pedantic landlord attempts to Tansplain to them.

Relatedly, I'm enjoying this book about 80s music vs. Thatcherism, and his otherwise-decent overview of the Troubles is repeatedly spoiled by the guy not knowing about Peace Walls and calling Britane "the mainland" repeatedly :argh:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol, a rare moment of Nordie unity when a pedantic landlord attempts to Tansplain to them.

Relatedly, I'm enjoying this book about 80s music vs. Thatcherism, and his otherwise-decent overview of the Troubles is repeatedly spoiled by the guy not knowing about Peace Walls and calling Britane "the mainland" repeatedly :argh:

Yeah, everyone knows the mainland is the largest island of the Orkney archipelago

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Europe being the mainest land, Maine USA being the second mainest land

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

I doubt that somehow. The October 7th attack was an atrocity and it didn't become less of one just because the Israelis responded with a pogrom. Corbyn was still calling poo poo murdering bastards his friends. The Board of Deputies doesn't get to call him out for it, though, because their main beef with Corbyn is that he doesn't think that Jews have the right to kill whoever they want.

Israel, not Jews, but yeah.

Even then what he said about Hamas a decade seems irrelevant given he has condemned the October 7th attack and it is easier to be disingenuous in the immediate aftermath than here three months later when even the tories are struggling to defend the ongoing war crimes.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

through all the I/P news saturation I learned that my local football club was named after this guy. Also holds the dubious honour of being the only club in the country of any tier to do a minutes silence after thatchers death.

might have to give it a miss in future

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kecske posted:

through all the I/P news saturation I learned that my local football club was named after this guy. Also holds the dubious honour of being the only club in the country of any tier to do a minutes silence after thatchers death.

might have to give it a miss in future

Died in a plane crash caused by his arrogance. Only shame is the innocents who died (two journalists).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ If his wiki is accurate the plane crash happened because the journalists wanted to be on board and Wingate overruled the pilot when he said it was too much weight. So Wingate's arrogance, but the journalists weren't exactly innocent.

Tesseraction posted:

They don't see a distinction, so I'm not going to make one.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 11, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well they do see a distinction, just more about Good Jews and Bad Jews.

On a lighter note has this thread been following the New York Secret Jewish Tunnel affair?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yes. I especially liked the bit where someone complained about the Secret Jewish Tunnels but the authorities didn't do anything about it because the fire exits met code.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

On a lighter note has this thread been following the New York Secret Jewish Tunnel affair?
I only found out about it this morning. I saw people joking about it on social media yesterday but I assumed they were making some edgy joke relating to Gaza.

I still don't believe any of it is real. I must be in a dream state

e: https://twitter.com/RichardStrocher/status/1744814163128615249

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 11, 2024

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

Even then what he said about Hamas a decade seems irrelevant given he has condemned the October 7th attack and it is easier to be disingenuous in the immediate aftermath than here three months later when even the tories are struggling to defend the ongoing war crimes.

There's an obvious answer to the: "Do You Condemn Hamas?!" question, which is to say that you don't feel it's your place to be lecturing the inhabitants of a concentration camp on what the right and wrong ways are of resisting their oppressors and I wish more people would use it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Richard Strocher sat in the police station, complaining that Jews are tunnelling under his apartment, while the police nod sympathetically and type it up on their invisible typewriters.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

There's an obvious answer to the: "Do You Condemn Hamas?!" question, which is to say that you don't feel it's your place to be lecturing the inhabitants of a concentration camp on what the right and wrong ways are of resisting their oppressors and I wish more people would use it.

SO YOU REFUSE TO CONDEMN HAMAS PISTOL PETE?!

You forget that media in the uk is not interested in context or history in anyway.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I mean 99.9% of the time those are the words of a schizophrenic anti-Semite, it's kinda understandable. Any movie that gets made about this needs to be from that guys perspective. I'm imagining Charlie Kauffman or Ari Aster could do it

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I dug a little further, and could find no twitter conversations where people accused him of being a schizophrenic or an antisemite from last year. I think Richard might be a parody troll account :allears:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I still want the movie, the ecstatic truth is more important to me

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Big TBM wants you to believe that digging a tunnel yourself is extremely dangerous and can make your house fall down

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For those who had missed it https://www.curbed.com/2024/01/secret-tunnel-synagogue-lubavitch-chabad-eastern-parkway.html

https://twitter.com/pissvortex/status/1744696203055337674

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

fuctifino posted:

I only found out about it this morning. I saw people joking about it on social media yesterday but I assumed they were making some edgy joke relating to Gaza.

Hmm i wonder if the account named Dick Stroker is genuine.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
personally i believe the words of a poster named dick stroker

Jedit posted:

They don't see a distinction, so I'm not going to make one.

this is not a great stance generally imo and certainly not wrt israel

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The King is on form today

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

fuctifino posted:

Unfortunately Dick Strocher is probably not a real person.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

How did I not see Dick Stroker? lmao

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Had to laugh when Chapo referred to the footage of the Chabad tunnel shenanigans as "what a Looney Tunes cartoon would look like if produced by Der Stürmer."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

‘It’s so cold’: leaseholders left without central heating in London block

quote:

Man in 80s and mother of baby among residents hit by cold conditions amid dispute over who is responsible for repair

Dozens of leaseholders, including a man in his 80s, the mother of an eight-week-old baby and a woman in remission from cancer, have been left without central heating since October in a block for which the freehold is owned by a company that has made nearly £12m.

With temperatures already dropping below zero and Arctic winds forecast to blow in colder weather next week, the oldest residents have been huddling in hats and blankets to keep warm at Lee Court, an art deco block of 48 apartments in Lewisham, London. Some walls are mouldy and residents complain they are covered in condensation.

This week the UK Health and Security Agency issued amber cold health alerts for much of the country, warning of an increased risk of heart attacks, strokes, and chest infections and a potential “serious impact on health, particularly for older people and those with pre-existing health conditions”.

The freeholder at Lee Court in charge of the services is Grandpex Company Limited, which is owned by a group of individual property investors. The latest published accounts for the company show retained earnings of £11.7m, representing profits over the years after dividends are paid.

“It’s so cold,” said George Martin, a leaseholder in his mid-80s who has been wrapping himself in blankets. “It has brought on a bit of sciatica. It’s disgusting it hasn’t been [fixed]. We have had freezing cold weather and it’s going to get worse.”

Hot water has also been only sporadic in parts of the block where leaseholders pay a £2,500-a-year service charge to a company appointed by the freeholder. Black mould has been spreading on Martin’s ceilings and is also extensive in one of the communal stairwells.

“The lack of heating has caused a massive condensation problem,” said Jade Alvares, 32, mother of a two-month-old baby. “The walls are covered. We are concerned about the smell and the harm for the baby … It seems like I am living in a third world country.”

#NormalIsland

:guillotine:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Freeborn Britishmen can just burn their Christmas trees.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Americans absolutely love their ridiculously phallic names, Dick Stroker is entirely believable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I was very disappointed at the contents of

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I would be happy to lecture the inhabitants of a concentration camp, or anyone else, on the morality of deliberately targeting and murdering children. But maybe that's just me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I did enjoy the tweet that said "Imagine you see a hasidic guy crawl out of a tunnel under NYC and you don't have your phone on you, how do you tell anybody about it without sounding like the most antisemitic guy in the world."

I feel like I've also read a lot of stories about people digging weird tunnels lately.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Dudes love digging tunnels.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
from what little i've read the most interesting part of the tunnel is the background beef between two synagogues in the same building over whether a past leader is actually dead or not and thus whether they should appoint a new one, leading to simmering resentment over decades while only being meters apart. I assume there is a world of petty drama within those walls that we have but glimpsed the tip of

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Reminds me of the old Jewish joke: A man gets stranded on a desert island. When his rescuers arrive a couple of years later, they're amazed to find he's built three fine buildings during his isolation. One is his home. The other two? “This is the synagogue I go to,” he explains, “and that is the one I don’t go to.”

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

smellmycheese posted:

The King is on form today

As someone into fancy tea I will never, ever, understand how people like that. I like smokey tastes, I like tea. It's nice in blends, Russian Caravan has a little Lapsang in it and it gives this wonderful smokey note. Pure lapsang, though, tastes like you are gargling petrol. Tried it multiple times and I just don't get it.

Oh no, I've become the anti-Adrian, alike in temperament but with opposite opinions on the banal.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Angepain posted:

from what little i've read the most interesting part of the tunnel is the background beef between two synagogues in the same building over whether a past leader is actually dead or not and thus whether they should appoint a new one, leading to simmering resentment over decades while only being meters apart. I assume there is a world of petty drama within those walls that we have but glimpsed the tip of

Makes me think of the joke about the Jewish guy who gets shipwrecked on a remote island. He's stuck there alone for ages and he's an industrious person, so he ends up building a shelter, a storeroom, a workshop... And two synagogues.
Eventually, he does get rescued and the captain of the ship says: "It's all very impressive what you achieved by yourself but tell me: why did you build two separate synagogues?"
The Jewish guy looks over to where the captain's pointing and rolls his eyes. "Ugh, that place" he replies, "I'd never go there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Reveilled posted:

Oh no, I've become the anti-Adrian, alike in temperament but with opposite opinions on the banal.
Ah, the combination bath/urinal.