Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is a long shot: For those who use Music On Console, I would like to set an executable command within the player to return to the previous directory. For example, if I were listening to Dark Side of the Moon and had just visited The Wall, a single keystroke would return me to looking at The Wall. Does anyone know how to do this? I tried setting cd - as a command and it didn't work.

I have never used moc, but looking at the example config I think you could write a pair of scripts that respectively save and recall the directories in a file or as soft links.

code:
# Run the OnSongChange command when a new song starts playing.
# Specify the full path (i.e. no leading '~') of an executable to run.
# Arguments will be passed, and you can use the following escapes:
#

OnSongChange = "/home/goon/.moc/savepwd.sh %f"
Then you would have an ExecCommand section that would run a script that reads the previous recorded directory. It might take you a while to figure out but that's how I would start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

pseudorandom name posted:

KDE has a billion configurable options because nobody involved can agree on or is willing to commit to sensible defaults. Is it possible to make it pleasant to use? Maybe, on a long enough timeline. Does it come that way out of the box? Absolutely not. Will you eventually discover that somethings are (probably) frustratingly impossible? Assuredly.
unlike every single other desktop environment in existence, which is the same, but you cannot fix it to your preferences

also, kde defaults are fine. good, even

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

I have never used moc, but looking at the example config I think you could write a pair of scripts that respectively save and recall the directories in a file or as soft links.

code:
# Run the OnSongChange command when a new song starts playing.
# Specify the full path (i.e. no leading '~') of an executable to run.
# Arguments will be passed, and you can use the following escapes:
#

OnSongChange = "/home/goon/.moc/savepwd.sh %f"
Then you would have an ExecCommand section that would run a script that reads the previous recorded directory. It might take you a while to figure out but that's how I would start.

OK, thanks. I'll work on that when I have some time.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Truga posted:

unlike every single other desktop environment in existence, which is the same, but you cannot fix it to your preferences

also, kde defaults are fine. good, even

Well now, that is unfair. Other desktop environments have extensions. If you install about a bazillion of them, you can even make said DE half-usable. If those extensions even work/are maintained.
KDE has its issues, but when compared to the competition is just not even in the same league.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I stand by my comparison: Gnome feels like an Apple product. They absolutely think they know better than you, and don't want the commoners messing with their vision - but the end result is very solid and coherent, though you have to think like them to enjoy it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Computer viking posted:

I stand by my comparison: Gnome feels like an Apple product. They absolutely think they know better than you, and don't want the commoners messing with their vision - but the end result is very solid if you happen to think the same way as them.
It's not polished enough to be an Apple product, and that's not cause Apple's desktop stuff is particularly polished. It just feels janky, as it has always been except during the last days of GNOME 2, and incomplete.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pseudorandom name posted:

I use a MX Ergo and free-spin the ball in a vaguely diagonal direction.

That's ok, my trap card was a dud. The follow up was going to be "and how do you turn off mouse acceleration?", but Gnome actually added it to the main settings panel. So you don't have to edit configs or use extra software to do that anymore.

(But also lmao that until 2023 you couldn't turn off mouse acceleration.)

Mr. Crow posted:

Yea I use Activities daily I just dont really use the virtual desktops, thats what 3 monitors are for.

Activities are pretty much Virtual Desktops Plus, so if you are using them intensely you wouldn't need VDs.

I have some Activities set up just for the fact that they can have unique desktop widgets and such. So I have my normal workspace activity (some system monitors, weather, big clock), a gaming one (:rice: hardware monitors etc), and a low-distractions one (no widgets besides small clock, minimal wallpaper).

The stuff you can do with linking files & apps to activities seems cool but I've never had the need to set that up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Volguus posted:

Well now, that is unfair. Other desktop environments have extensions. If you install about a bazillion of them, you can even make said DE half-usable. If those extensions even work/are maintained.
KDE has its issues, but when compared to the competition is just not even in the same league.

Agreed, KDE sucks so much rear end it's not in the same league as any other DE.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
What’s the “standard” place to mount internal drives? /media? /mnt? I want it accessible between multiple users.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Really depends on what you want. Any directory can be a mount point.

The bigger thing is making sure permissions are set right for the access you want.

On my RHEL 9 box, I have my Plex directory mounted at /srv/plex.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just recommend adding as few paths as possible to /. Probably doesn't matter for a home environment but in a server situation with a lot of interactive users it gets sloppy. Much better to mount their junk under /path/usercrap69

Toplevel doesn't matter, /srv has kind of become a standard. The classic /mnt works too.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I've always used /data for the NFS mounted file server, but a subdirectory under /mnt is indeed traditional.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Ok that makes sense. It’s for home but I would still like to follow standards where possible.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I use /net/* for NFS/Samba, /mnt/* for local media.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I think mnt is the only one i would specifically not use because it's intended for temporary mounts.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
I thought /media is intended for temporary mounts?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If it's significant enough, it gets something unique under / (for example the main storage on a fileserver), otherwise it's under /mnt (screw FHS temporary mount convention)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

If it's significant enough, it gets something unique under / (for example the main storage on a fileserver), otherwise it's under /mnt (screw FHS temporary mount convention)

No one can even agree what "temporary mount" means. Some distros put floppy and cdrom under /mnt, others don't. I treat it like a wild west path, do whatever I need at the moment and if some program breaks because its path got obliterated that's the program's fault, not mine.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Coworker is of the opinion that NFS shouldn't be mounted on a directory under /, because when it inevitably gets stuck it can cause wider issues.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Saukkis posted:

Coworker is of the opinion that NFS shouldn't be mounted on a directory under /, because when it inevitably gets stuck it can cause wider issues.
It's been real fun figuring out why poo poo is breaking because someone put a /-level symlink to a nfs mount (eg /mydata -> /somewhere/the/mount/is ) and that's now how everyone has been using it for years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Symlinking to nfs mounts, not even once.

(it happens alllll the time)

Also no additional toplevel directories should begin with 'e' 'h' 'u' or 'v' because otherwise it messes with my tab completion.

(this also happens all the time, I hate users)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Be a rebel and create a mount point called C in the root directory. Make everyone mad seeing a C drive on *nix.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Inceltown posted:

Be a rebel and create a mount point called C in the root directory. Make everyone mad seeing a C drive on *nix.
Linux bits you're workshopping: guy who

code:
mkdir -p /C\:\\/Windows\\ && ln /usr/bin "$_"
mkdir /C\:\\/Windows\\/system32 && ln /usr/sbin "$_" 
mkdir /C\:\\/Program \Files\\ && ln /usr/local/bin "$_"
echo 'export PATH="/C\:\\/Program \Files\\:/C\:\\/Windows\\:/C\:\\/Windows\\/system32"" >> /etc/environment
unlink /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin
reboot
:hehe:

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 14, 2024

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol it’s like Win7 skins for window managers but for the file system.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

even WSL doesn't do that evil, it puts all system drives under /mnt

cygwin makes some really horrendous paths mapping to windows mounts.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

code:
echo 'export PATH="/C\:\\/Program \Files\\:/C\:\\/Windows\\:/C\:\\/Windows\\/system32"" >> /etc/environment
unlink /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/local/sbin
reboot

That’s just evil for the sake of evil.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

/DosDevices/C: should be a symlink to the mounted filesystem, for verisimilitude

then you need to patch glibc's open to implicitly look there if the path starts with [[:alpha:]]:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

probably be necessary to s//g a ton of scripts and rebuild binaries with hardcoded paths .. maybe better to leave the directories there. Half baked idea

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I never realized activities could have possible given me that UX I wanted. My Google escapades something like a year ago had a bunch of KDE threads about it just not being possible. I can only assume the question was taken too literally (having only one virtual screen change).

It is kind of moot now because I have to VNC into it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

Linux bits you're workshopping: guy who

code:
unlink /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin
reboot
:hehe:

Jokes aside that's kinda useful for a newer Linux user like me to understand Linux file systems a bit as they compare to Windows file systems.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Framboise posted:

Jokes aside that's kinda useful for a newer Linux user like me to understand Linux file systems a bit as they compare to Windows file systems.

this is a very loose mapping for a joke. This describes the basic hierarchy: https://man.archlinux.org/man/hier.7.en

More details here:
https://man.archlinux.org/man/file-hierarchy.7

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bsaber posted:

What’s the “standard” place to mount internal drives? /media? /mnt? I want it accessible between multiple users.
/mnt was originally intended to a convenience mountpoint for temporary manual mounts. Like if you need to loop-back mount an initrd or some other disk image. Personally I never found it useful for this purpose as just as often as I might need one temporary mount, I'll need more than one, so I usually just create a /tmp directory for those purposes.

Originally (~25 years ago) Debian had mountpoints for removable media under /, so /floppy, /cdrom, etc. I can't recall what the convention was for other distributions, but one of them (Red Hat?) put them in /mnt, so /mnt/floppy, /mnt/cdrom, and I thought that was helpful and used /mnt for removable media and other static but-not-always-mounted-mounts.

Then about 20 years ago, the Linux FHS added /media for removable mounts, and Debian switched to that, which was totally reasonable even if something I wasn't used to. These days I don't know that it makes sense to have some mounts in /media (or /run/media, even.) and others in /mnt, so I tend to just put everything in /media.

Funny though, I have a ~/mnt I use for user-privilege mounts. Mostly sshfs "volumes".

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

this is a very loose mapping for a joke. This describes the basic hierarchy: https://man.archlinux.org/man/hier.7.en

More details here:
https://man.archlinux.org/man/file-hierarchy.7

Right, I've read up on it a bit-- I'm just saying it's nice to be able to see the relations/comparisons between Windows and Linux file structures.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Funny though, I have a ~/mnt I use for user-privilege mounts. Mostly sshfs "volumes".
I put these mounts on the desktop, Mac style. but I don't like seeing ~/Desktop every time I'm walking around the home, so I use ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs to map XDG_DESKTOP_DIR to ~/.desktop (and everything like Documents, Music, Templates; to ~/docs. I like a tidy home)

Framboise posted:

Right, I've read up on it a bit-- I'm just saying it's nice to be able to see the relations/comparisons between Windows and Linux file structures.

:cheers:

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Then about 20 years ago, the Linux FHS added /media for removable mounts, and Debian switched to that, which was totally reasonable even if something I wasn't used to. These days I don't know that it makes sense to have some mounts in /media (or /run/media, even.) and others in /mnt, so I tend to just put everything in /media.

I’ve noticed that KDE and Gnome both mount to /run/media when you do it from the their respective file managers. Is there a reason for that?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

bsaber posted:

I’ve noticed that KDE and Gnome both mount to /run/media when you do it from the their respective file managers. Is there a reason for that?
When it's in /run/media, accounts get their own directory which the mount it put in to give a consistent way to deal with permissions. Whereas the convention is that /mnt would be under the control of admin/root/whatever

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Ah that makes sense. Figured it would have something to do with permissions.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's not that it wouldn't work, but when a script in user space is being given the ability to mount/unmount, it's seen a good practice to provide separation.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Trip report from being stuck on the console most of today because of an error with the build environment I simply couldn't figure out:
Turns out I just had a shitload of old objects lying around, and I could've saved myself a heck of a lot of headache by just wiping temporary buildfiles.

Credit goes to Jessica for spotting what I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Trip report from being stuck on the console most of today because of an error with the build environment I simply couldn't figure out:
Turns out I just had a shitload of old objects lying around, and I could've saved myself a heck of a lot of headache by just wiping temporary buildfiles.

Credit goes to Jessica for spotting what I didn't.

Just track your dependencies better, OP.