Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

njsykora posted:

I knew Ayaneo making a good decision with its devices was a bit farfetched.

Yeah lol honestly this one is on us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wonder why they didn’t go with the Valve one. Maybe they wanted to make changes that Valve didn’t want to permit? I’m assuming that Valve would have permitted or even assisted them in using stock Steam OS, of course…

Sitting in a hospital waiting room, wishing I’d brought my Deck..

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Metric Skeleton posted:

Has anybody messed with HoloISO? I’ve been waiting patiently for a public release of SteamOS that I can stick on a small desktop to use as a dedicated TV box. I considered trying HoloISO out but didn’t because I assumed it would have a ton of jank to it. Seeing even a small company slap it on a handheld makes me think either the OS is better than I thought or they are out of their goddamn minds and I’m curious which it is

I believe the concenious is to use Chimera OS if you want to consolise a computer.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder why they didn’t go with the Valve one. Maybe they wanted to make changes that Valve didn’t want to permit? I’m assuming that Valve would have permitted or even assisted them in using stock Steam OS, of course…

Sitting in a hospital waiting room, wishing I’d brought my Deck..

I'm going to bet they didn't even bother to ask. Like I said Anbernic already shipped an official version of SteamOS on their Win600 handheld so it's not like Valve is unwilling to do it.

Metric Skeleton posted:

Has anybody messed with HoloISO? I’ve been waiting patiently for a public release of SteamOS that I can stick on a small desktop to use as a dedicated TV box. I considered trying HoloISO out but didn’t because I assumed it would have a ton of jank to it. Seeing even a small company slap it on a handheld makes me think either the OS is better than I thought or they are out of their goddamn minds and I’m curious which it is

They're out of their minds. HoloISO was good around the Deck's launch but it hasn't been maintained and lacks a lot of features now. If you want a solid TV box thing then your 2 best options are ChimeraOS, a version of Debian that tries to replicate it as close as possible or Emudeck for Windows which has an option that'll boot directly into Steam Big Picture without loading the full Windows desktop but I haven't tried that for myself.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

So close. Soooooo close

Who am I kidding, it doesnt have trackpads, may as well be another poo poo android handheld

that was my first thought

like just put loving trackpads on your devices goddamn

you're making a PC handheld, limiting mouse-like input to a touchscreen and analog sticks is just straight-up crippling functionality for a majority of games on the platform

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

njsykora posted:

Anbernic already shipped an official version of SteamOS on their Win600 handheld so it's not like Valve is unwilling to do it.

I don't think they shipped it on the device, it seems to come with Windows but they do have a build available though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I mean, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with using HoloISO in the sense of promoting open platform use but it's also a hobbyist project that Ayaneo doesn't actually seem interested in contributing to.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Has anyone heard of game compatibility differences between the Steam Deck and the Steam Deck OLED?

I bought the Steam Deck OLED LE at launch, but I only just opened and set it up this week. When I started playing LogiArt Grimoire, I realized that it has sound on my Steam Deck, but not on my Steam Deck OLED LE. :psyduck:

Other games play sound correctly on my OLED LE, and although it uses the same Proton as the original Steam Deck, I tried a couple different versions just in case, but no change.

The game is still early access, but I don't want to send such an odd bug report if there's something else I'm maybe overlooking on a fresh unit?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

I mean, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with using HoloISO in the sense of promoting open platform use but it's also a hobbyist project that Ayaneo doesn't actually seem interested in contributing to.

This, in every sense.

It's fundamentally good to have SteamOS variants so for example every handheld isn't hostage to Valve's release schedule like they are to Windows. But the vendor then needs to own and maintain the variant.

HoloISO seems to be using Valve's public releases of the core, so they shouldn't have much work to do on most packages - where Valve's major releases are themselves infrequent. But I haven't tried any of them.

If you're on a Linux desktop, there are options to login to Steam Big Picture with gamescope as your manager on some of them. I played with one on Arch a year and a half ago.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

One of these days I really need to get off my rear end and roll a dual-boot on my desktop to try out gaming and living in Linux for a while.

I would really, really like to just say goodbye to windows in general, and the deck has given me a tantalizing view of what that might look like from an entertainment perspective.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Snackmar posted:

Has anyone heard of game compatibility differences between the Steam Deck and the Steam Deck OLED?

I bought the Steam Deck OLED LE at launch, but I only just opened and set it up this week. When I started playing LogiArt Grimoire, I realized that it has sound on my Steam Deck, but not on my Steam Deck OLED LE. :psyduck:

Other games play sound correctly on my OLED LE, and although it uses the same Proton as the original Steam Deck, I tried a couple different versions just in case, but no change.

The game is still early access, but I don't want to send such an odd bug report if there's something else I'm maybe overlooking on a fresh unit?

That’s very weird and shouldn’t happen, IMO.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

One of these days I really need to get off my rear end and roll a dual-boot on my desktop to try out gaming and living in Linux for a while.

I would really, really like to just say goodbye to windows in general, and the deck has given me a tantalizing view of what that might look like from an entertainment perspective.

Check out the Linux gaming thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004994

It was the Deck that made me go back to Linux as primary after decades of OS X + Windows. It's great for gaming today.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Snackmar posted:

Modded Java Minecraft worked on my LCD Deck out of the box. It didn't really work on my OLED Deck until I increased the VRAM in BIOS. I increased swap file size at the same time but I don't think that was the issue. I didn't make either of those changes to the LCD Deck.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
All items delivered. As much as I want to just buy the drat deck now, I can't until end of day at the earliest. Just incase there's an issue with the items to whoever I sold them to.

Patience, Rad... Just breathe nothing will be wrong. But be a little patient, you can wait a few more hours to order the Deck...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IAmTheRad posted:

All items delivered. As much as I want to just buy the drat deck now, I can't until end of day at the earliest. Just incase there's an issue with the items to whoever I sold them to.

Patience, Rad... Just breathe nothing will be wrong. But be a little patient, you can wait a few more hours to order the Deck...

I mean, you can also return the Deck if something unexpected happens…

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The beauty of credit cards.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The deck is worth the debt.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

A goon with the tenacity to continue blogging their potential deck purchase even after multiple mocking shitposts surely has the tenacity to weather whatever adversity may come about

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m invested in this story, and we aren’t even Steam friends.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

IAmTheRad posted:

This is ridiculous. You sound like you have the easiest life ever in the world if this is a big deal to you. So you don't have to worry about rent or bills, huh? Must be nice.

lol

just lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

nobody gives a gently caress homie!!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Sounds good, keep us posted

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Snackmar posted:

Sorry goon, can't help you with your problem but I actually came to post about Logiart Grimoire myself, because it's pretty good (on my LCD Deck)
Though now after ~32 hours played I'm running into 30x30 and even 40x30 boards and those... those are too much, too many numbers to keep track of in a line and strains the eyes. 20x20 is the sweet spot, IMO.
And the fusing mechanic is just unnecessary - but not a huge deal.

Basically for anyone that wants a good Picross game, check it out - it's by the same folks that make the Picross S series on the Switch, best-in-class stuff basically.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Angryhead posted:

Sorry goon, can't help you with your problem but I actually came to post about Logiart Grimoire myself, because it's pretty good (on my LCD Deck)
Though now after ~32 hours played I'm running into 30x30 and even 40x30 boards and those... those are too much, too many numbers to keep track of in a line and strains the eyes. 20x20 is the sweet spot, IMO.
And the fusing mechanic is just unnecessary - but not a huge deal.

I feel that - I find them doable on the Switch OLED (and impossible on the original Switch), but usually when I get to the 30x30 and 30x40 in the Picross S games I go play them on the TV instead, heh

I've sent off a support request to Valve about Logiart Grimoire and the Steam Deck OLED LE for now.. I'll pass it on to Jupiter if Valve says it's not a hardware problem.

Meanwhile, If someone else loves picross and has an OLED or OLED LE model with audio, please let me know!

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 11, 2024

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]

IAmTheRad posted:

When’s the end of your day? Are you planning on using PayPal, or just your credit card directly? What shipping option will you use?

e: My deck came by UPS. How is UPS where you are? What time of the day do they generally deliver?

TIA

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Rad's Deck quest beats normal shipping update posts.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Snackmar posted:

Logiart sound works fine on the OLED, at least mine. Steam Deck had some issue where games would get muted in the system volume mixer and you needed to boot to desktop mode to fix it somehow? Dunno the specifics, but doesn't seem to be a general OLED issue.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Heran Bago posted:

Rad's Deck quest beats normal shipping update posts.

How easily we forget the thread’s roots.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

that was my first thought

like just put loving trackpads on your devices goddamn

you're making a PC handheld, limiting mouse-like input to a touchscreen and analog sticks is just straight-up crippling functionality for a majority of games on the platform

Its wild that while everyone (manufacturer-wise) is understandably quick to jump on the steamdeck clone bandwagon, its like no one designing their clone has ever actually used a steam deck. If you've used one, you know that the trackpads are like THE thing that sets it apart

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Its wild that while everyone (manufacturer-wise) is understandably quick to jump on the steamdeck clone bandwagon, its like no one designing their clone has ever actually used a steam deck. If you've used one, you know that the trackpads are like THE thing that sets it apart

Actually, it’s the vent smell.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When you're right, you're right

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Every “Steam Deck Killer” I’ve seen so far is just “what if we did the same thing except we make worse decisions in multiple ways”

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Is that capcom drm they’re injecting hurting steamdeck performance?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

EVGA Longoria posted:

Logiart sound works fine on the OLED, at least mine. Steam Deck had some issue where games would get muted in the system volume mixer and you needed to boot to desktop mode to fix it somehow? Dunno the specifics, but doesn't seem to be a general OLED issue.

Oh my god, that was it - what a bizarre issue! For some reason game.exe was muted in desktop mode on a brand new device :psyduck:

Thanks!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Is that capcom drm they’re injecting hurting steamdeck performance?

As far as I can tell it was added to one game and rolled back shortly after. They did the same poo poo a few months ago with a mega man game. Unless I missed something, none of these attempts or tests have stuck.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As far as I can tell it was added to one game and rolled back shortly after. They did the same poo poo a few months ago with a mega man game. Unless I missed something, none of these attempts or tests have stuck.
There was a big stink in the general Steam thread recently (in the last day or two) about how Capcom announced they're adding anti-cheat to everything now - even games they've already released - to prevent "malicious" mods from "disrupting public morals" or some BS (really it's so that some modder can't get their :20bux: costume DLC for free). I dunno what games if any actually have been updated at this point or if it's still just an announcement that they plan to do this in the future.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wasn’t there a thing at some SF tournament recently where a player turned up with a nude character skin on the stream or some poo poo?

Probably a reaction to that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wasn’t there a thing at some SF tournament recently where a player turned up with a nude character skin on the stream or some poo poo?

Yes

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can somewhat understand it for multiplayer games but adding it to single player games is extremely poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

History Comes Inside! posted:

I think that’s just cover for something they already wanted to do to protect the cosmetics revenue stream, but I’m sure it didn’t help.