Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

corn gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

clathrate machine gun

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Clathrate corn dog

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Cut rate clathrate

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
they introduced the clathrate gun in the first act so it’s guaranteed to go off in the third

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I’ll eat my corn indoors it’s fine

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

cash crab posted:

i am not kidding when i say i am the spectrum and so i can't tell if this is a joke or not

Judge dredd-ishly "I am the spectrum"

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

You posted spot readings from one site without any consideration of the sort of variability these individual sites have. It's meaningless. Methane continues to increase to unprecedented levels, it doesn't explain the recent SST increases. This graph doesn't do anything special when global SSTs began diverging:

The clathrates are still there ready to pop off.

Just because we're barreling down the path toward eradicating most multicellular life from the planet doesn't mean that every Guy Mcpherson-tier claim of made up poo poo is true.

your planet can have a little methane, as a treat

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

ikanreed posted:

Lol, gently caress Iowa in particular.

I've been saying this for a long time.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Clathrate Cannon

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

we haven't set off the clathrate gun yet but we're trying our hardest

https://www.upstreamonline.com/production/methane-hydrates-on-long-term-production-in-alaska/2-1-1581124

quote:

Gas production has started in the long-term onshore methane hydrates production test at Prudhoe Bay on Alaska’s North Slope in the US...

In the past, JOGMEC has conducted several gas production tests from methane hydrate deposits and proved that methane gas could be produced by lowering the pressure in the wellbore.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I actually worked on that jogmec project in a past life. One of the methods being considered for trial was chemical aided dissociation. All of it seemed rather tenuous and prone to failure and while esp pressure drop probably won't work it at least wont cause some runaway situation. Probably.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

maybe don't call it Ocean Boulevard

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

If the clathrate gun won't fire, we'll have no choice but to suck the bullet out ourselves

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

hooting and hollering and shooting two clathrate guns in the air like Yosemite Sam

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
beware the clathrate goon

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
crossposting from doomsday economics, will be thinking about this a lot going forward:

FistEnergy posted:

I am a power grid operator and I have a 160MW Bitcoin farm in my territory. 160MW is a very large amount of power, like a medium size power plant.

Every time it fires up it throws everything in the region out of whack as it furiously wastes power and speeds up the process of killing everything on Earth. I get additional work and stress, so the Bitcoin horror plant can proceed with its grim task. loving sucks, man.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

smoobles posted:

nominative determinism wins again

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

smoobles posted:

it's just ocean now

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

RIP Syndrome posted:

If the clathrate gun won't fire, we'll have no choice but to suck the bullet out ourselves

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

RandomBlue posted:

it's just ocean now

I think you mean new and improved Ocean+(tm), now with 90% less fish and 1000% more plastic!

Ocean+(tm)! Coming soon to low-lying areas near you!

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
man, i wish avs still posted here. i miss their guerilla terraforming updates

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Our power has been out so I've been running "essentials" on a 4000w generator which converts to about 5gal gasoline/day.

I started to do some highly pointless math on to what extent that still must vastly exceed sustainable energy use per family.

It was pointless because 10mins in, I realized, in addition to 4gals of gas I burned about 1/8 - 1/4 face cord of firewood to keep poo poo from freezing too bad.

I expect outages like this to get worse and become more and more the norm (this was a result of extreme winds that came along with a storm that dumped 6" of snow then 0.25" of rain then another 1-2" of snow). I think "weird" storms like this are just the norm now, and we're hardening our generator setup, keeping more fuel on hand, and also looking at a small solar backup of some kind. If I could run the well pump, fridge, freezer and 2 outlets that basically covers us indefinitely (plus shitloads of firewood oct-april, around 7 full cords a year of hardwood so thats's 25k BTU right there which is, uh, 25% the average persons global energy consumption? That doesn't sound too bad until you look at our power bill.

The point is, everything is hosed and getting more hosed and every action I take including this post is moving the bar that way.

I can hear the generator humming. I paid the tax today, had to do the mouth-siphon trick because the tanks were dry and the gas station in town couldn't sell me gas because they also lack power :laugh:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wood is renewable.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Salt Fish posted:

Wood is renewable.

:nsa:

it is and the industry likes to claim it's carbon neutral, pretending that trees normally fall over 1/4 through their lifespan and carbon capture in the soil during decomposition doesn't exist. Also these analysis overlook.... soot. WHY DO THE CORSIS IN MY BASEMENT BY THE STOVE GET DIRTY SO MUCH FASTER IN THE WINTER I DON'T GET IT :allears:

also when the power goes out..... we drink water.... from plastic bottles.... that have been stashed for weeks to months as an emergency supply.

I guess I need to get some of those bigass 5gal glass containers we used to get from DrinkMore in DC. Then I can have truly amazing amounts of broken glass hazard present.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

OIL PANIC posted:

man, i wish avs still posted here. i miss their guerilla terraforming updates

Those were good. Probably floating on an alt somewhere but who can say

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

smoobles posted:

Seems accurate :shrug:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

also when the power goes out..... we drink water.... from plastic bottles.... that have been stashed for weeks to months as an emergency supply.

lol i wonder how much thermal cycling contributes to microplastic particle spalling

without doing any literature searches whatsoever i can say with some confidence that i bet it doesn't help

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Acelerion posted:

I actually worked on that jogmec project in a past life. One of the methods being considered for trial was chemical aided dissociation. All of it seemed rather tenuous and prone to failure and while esp pressure drop probably won't work it at least wont cause some runaway situation. Probably.

Hello yes I would like some of that chemical aided dissociation, thanks.

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet
If you want to speedrun GoInsaneAny% reading this thread sure is top contender

lol
lmao

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

You may go insane from this thread but eventually you get better and learn to love the death machine. Going to floss later, full plastic like God intended

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet
Experiencing every single stage of grief at the same time, until i die in the food riots

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

crossposting from doomsday economics, will be thinking about this a lot going forward:

the amount of power used to mine bitcoin, an utterly pointless speculative waste of energy, is equal to the total amount of solar power produced.

we made up a fake thing that incentivizes destroying the planet as fast as possible just in case anyone thought for a moment about maybe not

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
saw that the asian cup was starting today and i looked up why it was called the "2023" asian cup.

turns out it got delayed because it was too hot in summer (in qatar).

i mean on the one hand, no poo poo, it's qatar. but also lol.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I burn all my credit card receipts so thieves can't steal my information. Should I stop doing this???

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
that could be very harmful if inhaled

put them in a blender instead

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Dokapon Findom posted:

I burn all my credit card receipts so thieves can't steal my information. Should I stop doing this???

Just rub them between your fingers heavily before you do, don't want to miss out on any of the potential cancer chemicals

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dokapon Findom posted:

I just dissolve them in water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Car Hater posted:

I'm so tired of trying to exist and find companionship in this poo poo. People either bail once the "where do you see yourself long term" talk happens or refuse to believe me and try to fix me. It's all finally happening just like we knew it would for my whole life and still it's "you're crazy, that couldn't happen." "Why would you think something like that, do you want to be miserable?"

hows life going? any luck?