Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

A lot of smoke around Deboer to Bama. Worst sports week ever if it happens

I'm probably being :secsmug:-brained but Deboer at Bama seems like a bit of an odd fit. When I try to envision what each looks like there, I feel like Lanning is probably better able to assemble something that looks something like a modernized if somewhat diminished version of Saban's machine, but at the same time I guess it's hard to argue they're going wrong with the guy who just never loses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s bad enough that he’s leaving, it’s even worse if Mrs. Terry is in bad health.

C-Euro posted:

Asked my dad (Michigan State alum) how it feels to have seen Saban lose his final CFB game in-person, dad responds "Great! Good riddance mf'er". Some grudges never die.

I was at the 2011 Capital One Bowl and he can stay mad. Get rekt old man.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/_grizzzy_/status/1745216347896770818

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lmaoooo

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Would Bama hiring Deion be funny or not?

I kinda don't want good things to happen to the guy who manually strangled several people at a previous job, plus Bama seems like a school that would succeed at covering up an abuse story.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Deboer or Norvell being hired would be such massive dick punches. Virtually anyone else is funny (now that Lanning is off the board)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oh god it's happening.

https://twitter.com/tamperingtide/status/1745544582245310662?s=46&t=W279lCiDuNkK6pUC9LGTmA
https://twitter.com/heartland_cs/status/1745544083618066551?s=46&t=W279lCiDuNkK6pUC9LGTmA

... or maybe not? Several people are claiming both Sark and DeBoer have already turned down the job.
https://twitter.com/thorne_heisman/status/1745542375655502158?s=46&t=W279lCiDuNkK6pUC9LGTmA

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 11, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If there’s anything to the Sark talk I think the end result is just that he gets a raise at Texas.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

there is no way alabama wanted to interview lane kiffin

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i like the idea that deboer didn't sign his extension because he thought harbaugh would leave, and then this

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I kind of want us to get FSU's guy so people can be legit mad at us for ruining the program instead of ESPN.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Incredible that arguably the biggest college football coaching job comes available, and nobody loving wants it, lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Warbird posted:

I kind of want us to get FSU's guy so people can be legit mad at us for ruining the program instead of ESPN.

I’m comfortable with this

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

General Dog posted:

If there’s anything to the Sark talk I think the end result is just that he gets a raise at Texas.

yeah, texas to bama is a lateral move on a few levels, and a step down in terms of expectations. this season exceeded anything texas fans were anticipating and the next person at bama is kinda set up to fail.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Incredible that arguably the biggest college football coaching job comes available, and nobody loving wants it, lol

People wising up. Impossible act to follow and all these candidates can get just as much money where they're at

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Saban's saying no illness involved, he just more or less got old and can't handle the insane grind anymore:

https://twitter.com/finebaum/status/1745549219606225224

which you know, same

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

texas, in the absence of the black hole power of saban, suddenly looks like the superior job if you ask me. It's them and Georgia in the SEC next year, at least it feels that way.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

texas, in the absence of the black hole power of saban, suddenly looks like the superior job if you ask me. It's them and Georgia in the SEC next year, at least it feels that way.

Saban wasn’t an amazing scheme guy. He built his success on recruiting. His run was basically proof that you can recruit at the absolute top level Bama for decades. That speaks to a level of institutional support and location that simply may not be possible at other places. It may be (sure seems to be at Georgia), but we know for sure that it’s possible at Bama. That in and of itself makes it an attractive job.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I'm assuming Billy Napier is number six on that list based on the other one from yesterday.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Saban wasn’t an amazing scheme guy. He built his success on recruiting. His run was basically proof that you can recruit at the absolute top level Bama for decades. That speaks to a level of institutional support and location that simply may not be possible at other places. It may be (sure seems to be at Georgia), but we know for sure that it’s possible at Bama. That in and of itself makes it an attractive job.

A stat that's been thrown around Michigan circles the last few days: Alabama has more 5-star recruits than the Big Ten.

The whole drat conference.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm assuming Billy Napier is number six on that list based on the other one from yesterday.

Let's be honest, we all know Coach Prime is somewhere in the top 10.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

People wising up. Impossible act to follow and all these candidates can get just as much money where they're at

That makes sense for Oregon and Texas to be sure, but Kiffin? I don't think Ole Miss can match Bama. But also Kiffin has a good thing going with maybe the #2 team in the SEC next season and much lower pressure to win it all every year than Bama.

I thought for sure Bama would get a homerun hire, but most of the homeruns are off the table already. We are slowly creeping toward the funny outcomes, like Dabo.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Is Michigan just going to promote someone if Harbaugh leaves?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Is Michigan just going to promote someone if Harbaugh leaves?

I would imagine they give it to Sherrone Moore at this stage.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/ssn_alabama/status/1745537551111197065

Thank goodness

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Soul Glo posted:

I really doubt Arch Manning completes his college education

I would bet big he's got a degree in 3 since a guy like him probably will stick around all summer and get extra credits in. Will it be a meaningful degree? Who knows, but I'd be surprised if he finishes his college playing career without a degree.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah with Maalik Murphy transferring out, the path is clear for him.

Bingo.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Henchman of Santa posted:

I would imagine they give it to Sherrone Moore at this stage.

There ain't poo poo for replacement rumors or whatever, but there are definitely current players and inbound recruits that will jump ship or decommit if it's not Moore.

That said, nobody really, truly knows if Harbaugh is gone yet:

https://twitter.com/Rosenberg_Mike/status/1745498467454111793

dude's fuckin weird with a weird brain that values "being wanted" over anything else and won't necessarily believe the president/AD saying "LOOK MOTHERFUCKER, WE STILL WANT YOU" if there's standard contractual clauses about Level I NCAA violations

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Saban wasn’t an amazing scheme guy.
the man single handedly changed the game of football, what are you talking about. read about zone matching defenses. he is a literal football genius.

this is something everyone on defense does today. even high schools.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think that's underselling him quite a bit. Saban was excellent schematically on defense, he was excellent at coaching up players, and he was excellent at recruiting. He was even excellent at recognizing his weakness on offense and getting good coordinators to cover for him there. There's a reason he has 7 national titles.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Warbird posted:

LeeMajors posted:

I’m comfortable with this

Rude

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

whoever Bama hires, I hope it's hilarious and ends in humiliating failure

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I feel like somebody from Raygun must be following this thread. Show yourself, coward

https://www.raygunsite.com/products/insufferable-michigan-fan

I am looking at all the official merch for the Rose Bowl and natty and it is all just so, so bad. Starting to consider bootleg gear just to get something that looks decent and isn't a bunch of word salad: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1635070590/2024-michigan-rose-bowl-shoulder-patch

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh hey, I got quoted in Ryan’s article: https://themessenger.com/sports/alabama-nick-saban-successor-lane-kiffin-deion-sanders

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hey king please go run against Tuberville and beat his rear end again.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

I’m a little concerned this is going to end with him getting some sort of Jimbo contract at Texas

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Well Norvell just tweeted he got a 4* OL to commit to transfer from Bama so maybe he's staying.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

I really thought Lanning was going to get hired as Alabama coach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Sirotan posted:

I feel like somebody from Raygun must be following this thread. Show yourself, coward

https://www.raygunsite.com/products/insufferable-michigan-fan

I am looking at all the official merch for the Rose Bowl and natty and it is all just so, so bad. Starting to consider bootleg gear just to get something that looks decent and isn't a bunch of word salad: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1635070590/2024-michigan-rose-bowl-shoulder-patch

I would instabuy that if I were a Michigan fan.