Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

To be fair, replacing the battery on a Tesla is going to be a lot more expensive than swapping in a whole new engine and transmission on... almost anything.

that's true. i dont own an ev and likely never will, but i'd presume it's similar to like laptops or phones that has a battery diagnostic to at least see the number of cycles, degradation, % maximum, etc.

like any car, definitely wouldn't own it sight-unseen without poking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Real hurthling! posted:

2 burgs w/fries, 2 shakes, 1 coffee at the regular rear end diner now runs $65 pre tip

that's like $25 after tax at In N Out

admittedly the shakes kinda suck

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i like in n out's shakes

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

LonsomeSon posted:

not going to lie i would love to be CEO of a bridge. hope for a big one, you know, but all bridges are important

"I have a bridge to sell you. No wait, I really do!"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Shear Modulus posted:

i like in n out's shakes

the price is right and they aren't gross or anything, but you can get a better shake at even Jack in the Box, much less places really known for shakes like Culver's

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Shear Modulus posted:

i like in n out's shakes

And the fries, too.

A bunch of goons who don’t know that you aren’t supposed to take In-N-Out home are going to object to this. If you have to eat 3 double doubles and 2 orders of fries away from judgemental eyes, just do it in your car as the restaurant intended.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just ask them to make your fries light and eat them in the car yeah, poo poo's delicious.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Zurtilik posted:

My car is a formal rental and I won't hear such blasphemy.

like a tuxedo?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Wolfy posted:

The door that came off the Alaska flight is not one you would use if you want to load from both sides, that's a door at the back. Ryanair has a door where others have a plug at approx row 26, because they use the super sardine config, and need an additional emergency exit.

if that means it works during an emergency rather than creating the emergency I’ll take it!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
protecting shipping lanes by going to war :thunk:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

This is all theater, no one is stealing wifebeaters from target in any quantity that’s making a dent in their financials

Uh yes, I’d like to wait 10 min for an employee to come and open the case for a pack of $5 Hanes

Honestly, the amount of times I saw underwear packs ripped open and tried on, I'm going to give it to the store on this one.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Brain Curry posted:

like a tuxedo?

Damned typos.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
has janey yellen yet spoken on the affordability of three wars?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/BowTiedPassport/status/1745149758992195647

this girl rules. gently caress cloudflare. and as one of the replies says, every loving hr person sounds exactly the same lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
And gently caress that person saying it's a "bad career move." Do not eat poo poo from your boss, HR, or anyone else at your employer. It will be fine.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

triple sulk posted:

this girl rules. gently caress cloudflare. and as one of the replies says, every loving hr person sounds exactly the same lol

also when democrats campaign using corpo hr speak, that’s really what gets heart and minds

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
*shrike82-ishly* over.........

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

triple sulk posted:

"girl"

an adult woman raises legit labor issues and it's framed as "girl"

lol this country is so hosed

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
She's not a 'girl,' she's an adult woman with bills

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

we must believe in number. we must clap for it and make it real.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

there was this also ... nice of them to wait until after the holidays :)
Google confirms it just laid off around a thousand employees

www.theverge.com - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 posted:

Turns out Google’s postpandemic reckoning didn’t just hit the Google Hardware team responsible for Pixel, Nest, and Fitbit products — it’s taken similarly sized bites out of Google’s core engineering and Google Assistant teams too. Google just confirmed to The Verge that it’s eliminated “a few hundred” roles in each of these divisions, meaning Google has confirmed layoffs of around a thousand employees on Wednesday alone, if we use a reasonable definition of “few.”

And those are only the cuts we know about. We asked Google spokesperson Courtenay Mencini to say if this was the complete and total number of job cuts in this round of layoffs, but she stopped replying at that point, only confirming existing layoff reports at 9to5Google and Semafor. The New York Times reported on the engineering team layoffs too.

When we spoke to Mencini earlier this evening about the Google hardware layoffs, she did not mention the other layoffs — but did write that “a number of our teams made changes to become more efficient and work better” and that “some teams are continuing to make these kinds of organizational changes, which include some role eliminations globally.”

So there may be more, and it’s possible that Google is attempting to spread out the bad news instead of having it hit all at once.

Google parent firm Alphabet employed 182,381 employees as of September 30th, 2023, so roughly a thousand job cuts would only be around half a percent of the company’s total. There’s a lot of tech layoffs going around.

I'm probably not making as much as I would in the private sector but it is nice not to worry about this kind of stuff

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
My EV experience is working at a remote gov site with no means of charging EV's on site, however due to all our money coming from the DoE all fleet vehicles must be electric. We have a parking lot of teslas just chilling because there's no way to charge them so no one can drive them and the rest are hybrids that while running on no charge get like 12 mpg it's great.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

PoundSand posted:

My EV experience is working at a remote gov site with no means of charging EV's on site, however due to all our money coming from the DoE all fleet vehicles must be electric. We have a parking lot of teslas just chilling because there's no way to charge them so no one can drive them and the rest are hybrids that while running on no charge get like 12 mpg it's great.

sounds like they should install some chargers op

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mawarannahr posted:

there was this also ... nice of them to wait until after the holidays :)
Google confirms it just laid off around a thousand employees

I'm probably not making as much as I would in the private sector but it is nice not to worry about this kind of stuff

yea word from people that work(ed) there was it was way bigger than the "you know a hundo or so" that they initially stated. somewhere between 1000-2000

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Xaris posted:

eh, they have less things to worry about like a blown headgaskets or hosed up transmission. i think you could probably see/run a battery diagnostic before buying it, and obviously look at the body.

but it also makes a little less sense cuz there's the $10,000 computer toucher ev rebate for new ones so if it's not a big price difference, you might as well use the upper-class credit on a purchase of a new one

theres a rebate for used ones now

Xaris posted:

that's true. i dont own an ev and likely never will, but i'd presume it's similar to like laptops or phones that has a battery diagnostic to at least see the number of cycles, degradation, % maximum, etc.

like any car, definitely wouldn't own it sight-unseen without poking at it.

you can check their battery degradation using obd2

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I also really don't understand why Cloudflare didn't just say they were downsizing. What would that cost them? Companies do it all the time and it makes their stock go UP. Why do they have to try to tell everyone it's their own fault? Seems needlessly cruel and obviously false

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

"girl"

an adult woman raises legit labor issues and it's framed as "girl"

lol this country is so hosed

Also we call groups of people "you guys" regardless of gender! It's hosed up! No wonder the planet's dying

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Celexi posted:

sounds like they should install some chargers op
I'm not the original poster of this thread.

But to address your point because of the somewhat remote location and somewhat sensitive nature of the site any sort of construction is inflated in cost by an order of magnitude. Not saying they can't do it but earmarking budget for it is pretty prohibitive, which is why it hasn't happened yet. Realistically driving around site only (which is what the gov vehicles are intended for) consumes such a small amount of gas I imagine the boilerplate legislation that resulted in this situation has done more environmental damage than simply using the previously existing fleet, the vehicles despite being surprisingly fuel inefficient for mostly being like hybrid elantra's and such need gas less than once/month cause there's simply not that much mileage on the site. It's just a funny situation.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

PoundSand posted:

I'm not the original poster of this thread.

But to address your point because of the somewhat remote location and somewhat sensitive nature of the site any sort of construction is inflated in cost by an order of magnitude. Not saying they can't do it but earmarking budget for it is pretty prohibitive, which is why it hasn't happened yet. Realistically driving around site only (which is what the gov vehicles are intended for) consumes such a small amount of gas I imagine the boilerplate legislation that resulted in this situation has done more environmental damage than simply using the previously existing fleet, the vehicles despite being surprisingly fuel inefficient for mostly being like hybrid elantra's and such need gas less than once/month cause there's simply not that much mileage on the site. It's just a funny situation.
yeah a prius would be better for that then

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

loquacius posted:

I also really don't understand why Cloudflare didn't just say they were downsizing. What would that cost them? Companies do it all the time and it makes their stock go UP. Why do they have to try to tell everyone it's their own fault? Seems needlessly cruel and obviously false

If it's a layoff it's kind of implied it's not at fault anyways. Presumably that lady can get uncontested unemployment bennies because it was a no fault downsizing situation, so it's bizarre they'd try to frame it as anything else.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

loquacius posted:

Also we call groups of people "you guys" regardless of gender! It's hosed up! No wonder the planet's dying
you guys and dude are gender neutral here in ca

ya'll is culturally appropriation. only overpaid NYC brooklynite transplants libs culturally appropriate it

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

loquacius posted:

correct

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Xaris posted:

you guys and dude are gender neutral here in ca

ya'll is culturally appropriation. only overpaid NYC brooklynite transplants libs culturally appropriate it

it’s y’all though

it’s either from Scots Irish in Appalachia or from the Caribbean or both. my dad’s eaten possum, some of us come by it honest.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

loquacius posted:

Doing official layoffs probably doesn't fit the optics their CEO wants to project at this moment, so they elected to lie about it. Stealth layoffs are really common.

CEOs will lie about important things just for the sake of their own egos even.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nomad2020 posted:

Yea, I just find it a bit ironic since Ryan Air is apparently the only airline that currently has a use for these problem holes in the fuselage, and that the solution seems to be to "put a door there".

again the plug itself isn't the problem...it was used on the Next Gens. it's not new.

the problem is that the last person(s) who touched this didn't do a good job and whoever was supposed to check their work hosed up too.

if Boeing really thought it would save money to have a different version of the max with no plug and it would save even a single dollar they would do it.

they're insanely cheap. they don't clean the bathrooms in the factories, they took garbage cans away from all office workers deks so they wouldn't have to pay janitors to empty them. lol, lmao

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Celexi posted:

yeah a prius would be better for that then

Also not the OP but good loving luck convincing your senior management of that when they get an order from on high.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

again the plug itself isn't the problem...it was used on the Next Gens. it's not new.

the problem is that the last person(s) who touched this didn't do a good job and whoever was supposed to check their work hosed up too.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Vox Nihili posted:

Doing official layoffs probably doesn't fit the optics their CEO wants to project at this moment, so they elected to lie about it. Stealth layoffs are really common.

Drake naw layoffs because I’m a failson who can’t run a business well

Drake ya culling the weak from my tech sales supersoldier army

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Vox Nihili posted:

Layoffs mean that leadership got it wrong, demand is down, sales are down. You either hired too many people, or hired for the wrong thing, or some product that used to be working isn't anymore.

If you can instead tell each worker that they suck and it's their fault they are getting cut then leadership doesn't have to face its failures as directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

triple sulk posted:

laid off means "we hired too many people" not "you aren't meeting our expectations"

you get u/e comp with the former & nada with the latter; britney's pushing her luck imo.

(hr still sucks)