Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nfcknblvbl posted:

My aunt lives north of Seattle. She said it’s impossible to drive into the city the traffic’s gotten so bad.

I moved back home in 2012 and all of my friends out there said I left at the right time. I didn't want to leave, but apparently it's gotten ridiculously crowded. My rent was going up $100 a year every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Ok, this is a sign

After my brother passes away I am moving back to Western Washington and #1 place I will be trying to get employment is at Costco...

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Hmm wonder why traffic it's so bad, maybe it's the people driving their personal vehicles into the heart of the city instead of taking any number of public transit options available to them? Nah can't be that

Quick stop at the 'co today for some work snacks (apricots, egg bites, salami & provolone snack packs). They really need to add some motorcycle parking cause I get a lot of glares taking up a car spot, and they're not entirely wrong.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Why don't you just take a bus instead

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Because it's a ~5 minute trip by motorcycle but 25-45 by bus (each way), I can carry more on my bike and I don't have to share air with a bunch of obviously sick people.

Also motorcycles are hella cool and fun and I ride every chance I get

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bizwank posted:

Because it's a ~5 minute trip by motorcycle but 25-45 by bus (each way), I can carry more on my bike and I don't have to share air with a bunch of obviously sick people.

This is also why people drive cars.

bizwank posted:

Hmm wonder why traffic it's so bad, maybe it's the people driving their personal vehicles into the heart of the city instead of taking any number of public transit options available to them? Nah can't be that

I've only just heard the term NIMBY but would this be an example?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is also why people drive cars.

I've only just heard the term NIMBY but would this be an example?
I no longer own a car; I live in the middle of the city and have a short easy commute so it'd be a huge waste of money. Parking alone would be $200/mo.

I don't see a NIMBY here unless Nfcknblvbl's aunt protested the light rail being built near her to protect property values or something.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bizwank posted:

I no longer own a car; I live in the middle of the city and have a short easy commute so it'd be a huge waste of money. Parking alone would be $200/mo.

I don't see a NIMBY here unless Nfcknblvbl's aunt protested the light rail being built near her to protect property values or something.

Ok I have it wrong then. The way you came across without that extra info was very much a "everyone else should do this but me" kinda thing.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
personal vehicles should be banned from core urban areas.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

Sam's Club is a low-quality troll just like the people who defend it

Until the day there's a KIRKLAND brand Instant decaf coffee, a Sam's Club membership pays for itself in a matter of months for a daily decaf coffee drinker.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

pentyne posted:

a KIRKLAND brand Instant decaf coffee

Infinitely sadder than Hemingway

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I love watching Ron trying to figure out in realtime how to appear to be a human being. He doesn’t know how to stand he doesn’t know what to do with his hands he doesn’t know where to look he doesn’t know what expression he should have on his face.

e: sorry wrong thread

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

I love watching Ron trying to figure out in realtime how to appear to be a human being. He doesn’t know how to stand he doesn’t know what to do with his hands he doesn’t know where to look he doesn’t know what expression he should have on his face.

e: sorry wrong thread

Is it sad that I was thinking about who you were talking about without context, and the first name that popped into my head was Ron Weasley? You should have played it off as if you were talking about the new Costco CEO Ron Vachris.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bizwank posted:

My aunt lives in Sedro-Woolley, that's a 3.5 hour train ride from Skagit station. She's got her own hippie life up there though so she doesn't miss much about the city any way.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chinatown posted:

personal vehicles should be banned from core urban areas.

now we're talking

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Turns out the fridge and dishwasher in our new house are at end of life after we’ve already replaced the washer/dryer. Going to be getting a good executive rebate this year :negative:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I should call her

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Its got potential

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

What did you put in it?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Big dick?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BadSamaritan posted:

Turns out the fridge and dishwasher in our new house are at end of life after we’ve already replaced the washer/dryer. Going to be getting a good executive rebate this year :negative:

....are you me? When I moved into my new house the dishwasher died after 4 days and the fridge after 2 weeks

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Been alternating between picking up that frozen barramundi and the wild caught sockeye salmon for my fish needs. Good poo poo

Yeah the barramundi is great.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Been spending a lot of money at the Costco lately so I upgraded to the executive membership since I don’t see that trend reversing any time soon.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Pro move.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
When is the executive membership worth it? I feel like you're paying ahead of time for a very small return later.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It’s 2% back up to $1000, and it costs $60 extra. Make a spreadsheet and show us the break-even point.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

TheOneVader posted:

When is the executive membership worth it? I feel like you're paying ahead of time for a very small return later.

you gotta spend $6k per year to not be an executive poseur

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
It’s always worth it because if you haven’t spent enough to pay for it that year they will refund the difference. At least that’s what they told me when I upgraded

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

bunnyofdoom posted:

....are you me? When I moved into my new house the dishwasher died after 4 days and the fridge after 2 weeks

I know it's a regional thing but I find it strange that some countries consider certain whitegoooods as part of the house

Where I'm from fridge/washer/dryer and sometimes dishwasher are all appliances you take with you however oven/range/HWS are almost certainly part of the house.

Now that I think about it the difference is probably requiring a plumber/electrical callout to swap them over since we have 240v @10A from a standard outlet.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

TheOneVader posted:

Also, to take full advantage of some of their extended programs you need to be an executive member. When I refinanced my house, I did it through Costco's mortgage program and the company I went with told me that if I had an executive membership the closing costs were discounted to $500. That's when I upgraded my membership.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

norp posted:

I know it's a regional thing but I find it strange that some countries consider certain whitegoooods as part of the house

Where I'm from fridge/washer/dryer and sometimes dishwasher are all appliances you take with you however oven/range/HWS are almost certainly part of the house.

Now that I think about it the difference is probably requiring a plumber/electrical callout to swap them over since we have 240v @10A from a standard outlet.

I mean, in my case I bought the house from someone who lives literally on the other side of the country, and didn't want to ship all the appliances and poo poo.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

I mean, in my case I bought the house from someone who lives literally on the other side of the country, and didn't want to ship all the appliances and poo poo.
You would rather ship the house!? :pwn:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

you were on such a roll too

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDxSwMs2W7Q

sick

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

norp posted:

Yeah it's weird. In the midwest US it's customary for large kitchen appliances (full-size dishwasher, range, built-in microwave, refrigerator) to be included in a home purchase, but laundry appliances are not. I mean, you can negotiate anything in a contract, but that's standard.

If there's a difference, it may be that kitchen appliances are often sized for the space they're in (counter-depth refrigerator for example) whereas laundry appliances are only sometimes so. But gently caress lugging a washing machine out of a basement.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

norp posted:

Nah, of the appliances mentioned, the dishwasher is the only one where in an older house it might be hardwired instead of plugged. We don't get 240V at standard receptacles but any house wired for an electric dryer has a dedicated high-current 240V circuit and receptacle for it.

With that said, while a slide-in range and a dishwasher might not be truly "built in", I've never heard of those not being included in a house sale. Laundry and fridge are a tossup that I've had go both ways.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

With that said, while a slide-in range and a dishwasher might not be truly "built in", I've never heard of those not being included in a house sale.

Depends upon where you are; in Germany even when you rent an apartment you usually bring a kitchen with you, most of them don't have one installed. When you move to your next place, you just take the old one with you.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

namlosh posted:

It’s always worth it because if you haven’t spent enough to pay for it that year they will refund the difference. At least that’s what they told me when I upgraded

Depends if you have to ask for the refund or not.