Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tai posted:

lol what?

China wants to ban clothes that 'hurt nation's feelings'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The funniest example of that were cops arresting people for cosplaying in Tang dynasty clothing because they were such dipshits they thought it was Japanese.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

The funniest example of that were cops arresting people for cosplaying in Tang dynasty clothing because they were such dipshits they thought it was Japanese.

lol

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Kaal posted:

In a related topic, some of the latest iPhone tech news was that Chinese censors have announced that they've broken the AirDrop encryption protocols and are predictably using that to crack down on folks using AirDrop to distribute political messages in urban areas.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple either doesn’t patch this or enabled it somehow. They happily handed over iCloud access to the party long ago while they keep a legal-defence-as-PR campaign in the can for whenever the FBI asks for anything.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Interesting that this article is from September. In 2022, before this recent slate of clothing laws, a Chinese woman in Suzhou was arrested and questioned for five hours for cosplaying as an anime character who wore a kimono. They forced her to write a 500-word "letter of self-criticism", searched her phone, and confiscated the kimono.

https://www.scmp.com/news/people-culture/trending-china/article/3189394/video-kimono-clad-chinese-woman-cosplaying-manga

The charge was picking quarrels and provoking trouble, an infamous criminal offense in China that is somehow popular with activists, journalists and criminal defense lawyers:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picking_quarrels_and_provoking_trouble

I posted a couple years ago in this thread about the so-called "hooliganism" law that preceded this one, which was even more vague and easy to abuse. It's how gay sex was criminalized in China. When a 1997 legal reform divided the hooliganism law into discrete offenses, they either forgot to mention homosexuality or didn't care enough to mention it. As a result gay sex was quietly decriminalized.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 12, 2024

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The charge was picking quarrels and provoking trouble, an infamous criminal offense in China that is somehow popular with activists, journalists and criminal defense lawyers:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picking_quarrels_and_provoking_trouble

lol I remember some dickhead CCP-loving goon said on some discord that "ackshully china has tons of protests, even more than we do, especially trade union ones!" which sounded alright until you learned that basically all the "protests" 1. had to be approved by the local and/or regional government and 2. were only allowed if they were pro-CCP causes and 3. were basically 50 Cent Army gatherings

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lol, sorta like how north Korea actually has three completely different political parties, they are much more democratic than we decadent western scum are.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Those are "rallies" not "protests"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

free hubcaps posted:

Lol, sorta like how north Korea actually has three completely different political parties, they are much more democratic than we decadent western scum are.

There's also a church!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

peanut posted:

Those are "rallies" not "protests"

Never let the truth get in the way of a good dystopia

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There's also a church!

The church of Xi

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Correction: there's four or five churches!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Correction: there's four or five churches!

Ah! Churches!! Surely there must be mosques as well??

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

free hubcaps posted:

Ah! Churches!! Surely there must be mosques as well??

Just one.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I'm sorry thrilled to tell you that as of several minutes ago the sole mosque has been upgraded to a thoroughly Han cultural center! A great day for xi jinping thought!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

free hubcaps posted:

I'm sorry thrilled to tell you that as of several minutes ago the sole mosque has been upgraded to a thoroughly Han cultural center! A great day for xi jinping thought!!

I didn't know Koreans went for that sort of thing. Anyway the mosque is in the Iranian embassy so IDK about that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tai posted:

Watching this whole property collapse thing is wild to see play out. While not a fan of the government, I thought that they would of had their finger on the pulse a lot better than this in regards to letting banks writing blank cheques for real estate companies and mortgages. Considering 2008 happened, this really is dumb what the government has let happen.

Xi managed to lock in a third term before things go to poo poo and cement dictator-for-life power. Mission accomplished.

They knew this was coming, plenty of economists have warned they were repeating 2008. They're not complete idiots. 3 years ago they tried tapping the breaks and the car immediately started fishtailing out of control.

So instead of trying to manage the coming crash and preemptively limit the damage, they let go and Xi put his attention to preemptively eliminating anyone who might have the balls to call for new leadership when it all collapses.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

As demonstrated by Russia you can actually drag out the car crash phase for decades without any consequences at all for the ~50 people who actually matter

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Toxic Mental posted:

lol I remember some dickhead CCP-loving goon said on some discord that "ackshully china has tons of protests, even more than we do, especially trade union ones!" which sounded alright until you learned that basically all the "protests" 1. had to be approved by the local and/or regional government and 2. were only allowed if they were pro-CCP causes and 3. were basically 50 Cent Army gatherings

most protests are against the local government and they want the CCP to step in and lay the beatdown on the local government

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

To be fair, when told that he should gently caress off to China if he loves it so much, that guy said "I'd be happy to, at least I could get my [antipsychotic] meds there for free at least"

So, you know.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

most protests are against the local government and they want the CCP to step in and lay the beatdown on the local government

yeah, all bad things are the fault of the local government and/or individuals, all we need is daddy xi to step in and sort it out

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
you are allowed to protest in favor of the CCP to lay the beatdown on the local governments

if you protest against the CCP the beatdown is laid on you

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Toxic Mental posted:

To be fair, when told that he should gently caress off to China if he loves it so much, that guy said "I'd be happy to, at least I could get my [antipsychotic] meds there for free at least"

So, you know.

Would he, though?

Since when are antipsychotics free in China? Psychiatric medicines especially are the "still gonna be expensive, good luck getting it easily" meds of China. I take a certain antidepressant off label for chronic insomnia and it's not any cheaper here than America.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I love all the tankie dipshits who think China has universal healthcare. It's the exact same system as the US, motherfuckers!! Sure it's cheaper if you're a foreigner making bank by local standards, but if you're a poor Chinese person you're hosed.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I love all the tankie dipshits who think China has universal healthcare. It's the exact same system as the US, motherfuckers!! Sure it's cheaper if you're a foreigner making bank by local standards, but if you're a poor Chinese person you're hosed.

Theoretically it works differently though.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

McGavin posted:

Thread title candidate

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Grinding up some fossils (dragon bone) and mixing it with dung to make a poultice for my limp dick

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

...if you're a poor Chinese person you're hosed.

That only matters if you're a poor Chinese person, doesn't affect any of the stupid politics enthusiasts so why would they care?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Grand Fromage posted:

You can't use WeChat pay with a foreign bank/credit card, no. I've heard Alipay takes some foreign credit cards, but yeah being a tourist now sounds like an enormous pain in the rear end. One of the many reasons I hate phone pay stuff. At least I don't know any other countries that have gone as extreme as China, but Korea and Japan both have their own phone pay systems that you can't access unless you're a resident and if that keeps expanding then ??

When I visited last September we were able to link an American card to both WeChat and Alipay, but WeChat was not super reliable. I think that changed with WeChat in like July or August.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Kharnifex posted:

Grinding up some fossils (dragon bone) and mixing it with dung to make a poultice for my limp dick
if only this were limited to extinct animals....

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Grand Fromage posted:

few things span nearly all cultural divides. the word for mother starts with the "m" sound in almost every known language, virtually every culture has a tradition of bystanders issuing a verbal blessing to someone when they sneeze, and anywhere in the world you find cops, they're petty, cruel, and dumber than a clam

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Honestly wondering if the drug prices are closer to Europe, Canada, or the US.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Mons Hubris posted:

When I visited last September we were able to link an American card to both WeChat and Alipay, but WeChat was not super reliable. I think that changed with WeChat in like July or August.

yeah i was in china at the time they switched things up. until that time i couldn't use my foreign cards though they were linked, i had to use my partner's wechat relative card to pay for everything. afterwards i could use alipay but not wechat pay.

basically the three things you need to survive in china as a tourist nowadays are alipay, amap, and a chinese mobile phone number

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

McGavin posted:

it does have the unique “there is no scheduled time to get results so everyone just has to interrupt someone else’s visit” system

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Mons Hubris posted:

Back in 2018 I was able to link my Australian Amex card to WeChat, but not add money via it. But at least it added the wallet functionally and then colleagues could send me red packages to give me credit to spend and I could give them cash in exchange.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

BrainDance posted:

Would he, though?

Since when are antipsychotics free in China? Psychiatric medicines especially are the "still gonna be expensive, good luck getting it easily" meds of China. I take a certain antidepressant off label for chronic insomnia and it's not any cheaper here than America.

I mean the guy is literally an off-meds terminally online tankie somethingawful.com poster. You can basically expect them to be the biggest moron possible.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Tankies who go to bat for modern China, one of the most capitalist economies in the world, are especially dumb

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

BrainDance posted:

Would he, though?

I think Adderall is a schedule 1 out here. You can't even get Prep, the preventative HIV drug out here. There are stories of Chinese citizens traveling to Hong Kong or Bangkok to get their prep prescriptions filled.

Hell, during Zero COVID, you had people traveling abroad and willing doing quarantine when they got back to get the MRNA vaccines instead of the Chinese ones.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 13, 2024

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Grand Fromage posted:

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1627629385431007232?t=vOt8_vGE0_OS4-zfRm3K1g&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Welp, Taiwan elected the wrong candidate. Time to scramble the jets and ships to do even more "I'm not touching you!" incursions across the straight, maybe launch a few ICBM tests directly over their heads. Enlighten them on how they made the incorrect decision. It was their choice to escalate the situation.

That's how you make someone want to come back to you, right? Threats of violence. Baby why do you make me hurt you.