Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The wood creatures in Act 2 consistently wrecked me due to their ambushes, is there a way to get the upper hand there aside from just "don't fail Perception checks"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Azran posted:

The wood creatures in Act 2 consistently wrecked me due to their ambushes, is there a way to get the upper hand there aside from just "don't fail Perception checks"?

Don't fail perception checks. They hit hard but can't take it, that's why the surprise round is so brutal. Alternatively just be so tanky yourself that it doesn't matter.

Blight will wreck their poo poo since it does maximum damage. They're just big sacks of HP without any sophisticated defenses to get through. But the small ones explode on death, which can wear down a high DPS melee fighter.

There's two groups of them and they're both very much optional, so you can avoid them.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
You can also use elixir of vigilance or the alert perk so you can’t be surprised.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Once you know where they’re at you can see the suspicious bushes and drop spells on them before they activate too.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
This popped up on my YouTube feed and is loving great.

Full credit to LittleVMills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc4Q4bg3IFM

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

See invisibility lasts the entire day and will let you know if there is an ambush because you will either succeed or fail the check.

Failed a check? Open fire!

This has never been an innocent!

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

space uncle posted:

Once you know where they’re at you can see the suspicious bushes and drop spells on them before they activate too.

Fire Wall makes a great underbrush cleanser.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Morand posted:

This popped up on my YouTube feed and is loving great.

Full credit to LittleVMills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc4Q4bg3IFM

I love Little V.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

"So anyway, I started Eldritch Blasting"

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Black Noise posted:

Whats that even called I was scrounging through the wiki to see if I missed a mace and apparently I didn't see it.

It's literally called the Deva Mace - it's the Mace that the Devas wield if you drop a Summon Planar Ally, or (Act 3) Getting cursed from raiding the basement of the Stormshore Tabernacle. Like all other weapons used by planar summons (and the Steel Watch swords before it), it's not supposed to be lootable but currently is due to some exploits.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Azran posted:

Attack the bushes before they attack you

Monathin posted:

It's literally called the Deva Mace - it's the Mace that the Devas wield if you drop a Summon Planar Ally, or (Act 3) Getting cursed from raiding the basement of the Stormshore Tabernacle. Like all other weapons used by planar summons (and the Steel Watch swords before it), it's not supposed to be lootable but currently is due to some exploits.

Does the old command trick still work on them?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nuebot posted:

Attack the bushes before they attack you

If it bleeds, we can kill it

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Apparently other people have run into the same bug as me but it's really annoying: Shadowheart doesn't recognize that we picked up the Spear of Night in the Gauntlet of Shar Libary and she refuses to enter the final area without it even though she has it equipped. I tried dropping it and picking it up, giving it to another character and back to her, and even putting it back on the altar where I got it and having Shart pick it up but no matter what I do nothing seems to let her recognize that we actually have the quest item. Has anyone run into this and found a solution? It seems like I can't progress if I don't want to lose Shadowheart because of this bug. :(

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Entropic posted:

Apparently other people have run into the same bug as me but it's really annoying: Shadowheart doesn't recognize that we picked up the Spear of Night in the Gauntlet of Shar Libary and she refuses to enter the final area without it even though she has it equipped. I tried dropping it and picking it up, giving it to another character and back to her, and even putting it back on the altar where I got it and having Shart pick it up but no matter what I do nothing seems to let her recognize that we actually have the quest item. Has anyone run into this and found a solution? It seems like I can't progress if I don't want to lose Shadowheart because of this bug. :(

I want to say it's a bug with the hotfix. Not sure if rolling back (or if it's even possible!) would fix it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Black Noise posted:

Whats that even called I was scrounging through the wiki to see if I missed a mace and apparently I didn't see it.

https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Deva_Mace

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Black Noise posted:

Whats the big deal about that deva mace (Planeslayer Flail) anyways.

"When wielded against fey, fiends, or undead foes, this weapon has a +1d4 bonus to Damage"

Yeah with those +2 attack gloves you're running around with a potential +8 weapon :stonk:. I can see why they locked that down.

You’re either looking at the wrong mace, or they changed it in a recent patch. The one people were going nuts about did an extra 4d8 radiant damage.

Edit: damage was even sillier than I remembered

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 12, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Lord Bude posted:

You’re either looking at the wrong mace, or they changed it in a recent patch. The one people were going nuts about did an extra 2d8 radiant damage.

4d8, actually. It's still available, I got one on my most recent run.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

More people should tell me about the mace.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Black Noise posted:

More people should tell me about the mace.

It's a very good mace and does a lot of damage

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You’re not supposed to have it. It’s for cheaters only.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

You’re not supposed to have it. It’s for cheaters only.

This is correct. They should rename it the cheaters mace once you equip it and disable achievements.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean you can get phalar in like a couple hours

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/choidaehoons/status/1745396985828712947?t=7qAZqq1EqRNJvrOkXK-NHw&s=19

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I want them to give me back my watcher's greatsword.

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018

Entropic posted:

So that reddit thread a few pages back seemed to conclude that a lot of these issues were caused by mods. Do you have any installed? If so it might be worth removing them if that's feasible just to see if it works afterwards. I believe the No Party Limit mod was one of the most common culprits.
EDIT: Only after the most recent hotfix, to be clear.

Zirak fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 12, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Orthon fight in Gauntlet of Shar is actually quite scary if you get surprised and his army of approx. 50 Merregons get a free turn on you.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

The Orthon fight in Gauntlet of Shar is actually quite scary if you get surprised and his army of approx. 50 Merregons get a free turn on you.

Can confirm. Just did it. I thought we would have a chance to talk but nope. Glad I had permanent see invisible cause that got kinda crazy for a minute.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
On my first run I went into the room and saw the cat and or, went haha nice try game and backtracked around to jump over the gap and ambush. I didn't know you could talk to that guy for months until a friend of mine was trying to explain what they did and my brain couldn't grasp that they didn't mean Balthazar.

I punted all those evil demon dudes off the side with thunderwaves from stealth then cast wall of fire and hadar on the incline and went lmao.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Lol, can't increase STR past 17 when I respec. Here's hoping Act 1 is populated by smaller folk, or my dude-throwing career ain't taking off the ground!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Protip for Balthazar: You can actually initiate trade before choosing to attack him, which will let you buy the Haste potion he uses at the start of the fight. Pay 2 Win, baby!!

woodenchicken posted:

Lol, can't increase STR past 17 when I respec. Here's hoping Act 1 is populated by smaller folk, or my dude-throwing career ain't taking off the ground!

If you're trying to throw anything above halflings and goblins with Tavern Brawler, then you generally have to wait until Level 8 for enough points to get your second Feat. In the meantime, use Giant Strength Elixirs to throw medium-sized enemies.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

woodenchicken posted:

Just throw spoons at everyone until you get an ASI I believe in you.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

woodenchicken posted:

17 is the highest str you can start out with using the points buy system the game uses. When you take Tavern Brawler at level 4, you’ll get +1 str giving you 18; which is enough to punt goblins.

you can use potions to boost your strength; although if you want to be using them all the time you’ll need to meta game it a bit, rest a bunch of times to keep buying them from Ethel.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
a1 being full of little dudes is pretty nice in that regard, but i've always wanted to be able to throw those minotaurs, personally

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

To be fair, if you're picking up every companion in act 1 you'll have enough long rests worth of cutscenes to keep you set for giant strength potions until at least act 3 as long as you buy out the merchants every day.

E: are there any enemies you can throw with cloud giant potions that are too heavy to throw with less than 27 strength?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

17 is the highest str you can start out with using the points buy system the game uses. When you take Tavern Brawler at level 4, you’ll get +1 str giving you 18; which is enough to punt goblins.

you can use potions to boost your strength; although if you want to be using them all the time you’ll need to meta game it a bit, rest a bunch of times to keep buying them from Ethel.

You can also just equip the club of hill giant strength which puts your strength at 19.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
You can also stack enlarge from multiple sources to increase the thrower’s size eg enlarge casted from two different companions will increase your size by 2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Be warned that you can make Karlach so large that it actually starts to mess up her throwing trajectory lmao

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Can you cast Reduce on enemies until they are goblin sized, and then chuck them?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Modding question: Only recently did I start dabbling with QOL mods, so I have never dealt with them following a patch. Is there anything that I should know/do to prepare for potential conflicts? Does the BG3 Mod Manager automatically update mods as updates become available for them from their developers, or must I go back to the page and redownload them individually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

Can you cast Reduce on enemies until they are goblin sized, and then chuck them?

Never tried but I imagine it would, since Polymorph lets you do the same thing.