Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

For what it is worth, the game does offer an option to teleport past those rooms if you don't like it.

Honestly, that just makes me think they don't have confidence in their platforming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly, that just makes me think they don't have confidence in their platforming.

I think this is dramatically unfair. It's an accessibility option you can turn on. Painting it as "Oh well they must know their platforming sucks" would be silly, especially since the platforming is actually quite smooth.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 11, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say, if nothing else, Lost Crown has one feature I hope to see every future Metroidvania steal. By pressing down on the D-pad you can instantly take a picture of your current location and pin it to the map, so if you encounter something you can't get past yet you can just snip a pic and then check it out later once you get new tools. It's small but genuinely a fantastic addition.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Okay I finished the demo. That was joyous. The movement and the combat are just so smooth. Everything feels right. I feel like they spent a lot of time making minimal adjustment some frames to make it feel just right. You can sprint through a trapped corridor and it just clicks as one continuous motion. It's also quite pretty.
I didn't have the game on my radar at all, but the demo really sold me on it. Will be while until I buy it though.

TeaJay posted:

the 60€ price tag

For what it's worth, it says 50€ on Uplay. Might be a regional pricing thing. But I want to know how many hours I'll get to spend with it before I drop 50 for it.

ImpAtom posted:

I will say, if nothing else, Lost Crown has one feature I hope to see every future Metroidvania steal. By pressing down on the D-pad you can instantly take a picture of your current location and pin it to the map, so if you encounter something you can't get past yet you can just snip a pic and then check it out later once you get new tools. It's small but genuinely a fantastic addition.
Yeah I was about to gush about that. Why isn't that a thing in other games? Some Metroidvanias don't even have any markers whatsoever.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Sounds great. How long is it epic exclusive? A year?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

moosferatu posted:

Sounds great. How long is it epic exclusive? A year?

Technically, it's not epic exclusive if they also sell it on their personal app, right?
It's just barred from steam and I guess other minor sellers during this interval.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

cant cook creole bream posted:

Technically, it's not epic exclusive if they also sell it on their personal app, right?
It's just barred from steam and I guess other minor sellers during this interval.

Does anyone use uplay though?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I used it to play Fenyx Rising and had fun with that game and unlike epic the app is still on my computer. :shrug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I really liked the vibes in momodora reverie under the moonlight so I hope the new one feels similar.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, this is a 2D platformer where you can't use the D-Pad for movement? You have to use the analog stick like some sort of barbarian? :yikes:

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Owl Inspector posted:

I really liked the vibes in momodora reverie under the moonlight so I hope the new one feels similar.

Same! Tempted to get the new one but I'm trying to convince myself to play the 3 or so previous games released before RUtM because they're free and I don't need to buy another game.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

moosferatu posted:

Does anyone use uplay though?

i pay em $20 every year or so play all their new stuff in one month.
might do it for this and rear end creed whatever

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
New Momodora is nice, I've played the last one to death but it's nice to go back to the older visual themes of wilderness (and the old storyline) after two games that seemed heavily inspired by Dark Souls and Bloodbourne.

I also just unlocked double jump so it's officially fun now too. I wonder if there will be anything as intense as Fennel.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Commander Keene posted:

Wait, this is a 2D platformer where you can't use the D-Pad for movement? You have to use the analog stick like some sort of barbarian? :yikes:

That's how I play all my metroidvanias

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah like Metroid Dread

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FireWorksWell posted:

:frogout:

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah like Metroid Dread
Sounds like a bad game tbh. :v:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
People wouldn't even recognize it as a metroidvania if they hadn't put the genre right in the title like that.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

FireWorksWell posted:

:mods:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

People wouldn't even recognize it as a metroidvania if they hadn't put the genre right in the title like that.

Always those lazy game developers who can't come up with a better title than just stating the genre like that.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Pro: From the team who made the modern Rayman games.

Con: Giving Ubisoft money :barf:

What I'd really like is a Humble Bundle style slider to give more to the devs and less to Yves and the other shithead upper management.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Finally got around to playing Blasphemous (the first one) and I think it's my favourite modern castlevania styled metroidvania. While i had a lot of fun with bloodstained I really think Blasphemous is the superior game. SPOILERS ahead!

I got "ending B" which seemed wierd, I thought I would get whatever the first one was, but this is the first metroidvania in a while where I feel like I'll keep trying for getting the rest of the items and the rest of the map after completing it. Not sure if I'll do the ng+ when I've got such a big backlog but I would like to do it eventually.

I really liked the way they used a more classic "adventure game" (i dont know how else to describe it) style of gating most progression - I think the lack of double jump in this game is one of my favourite things about it. I did get stuck once (the item needed to get the ability to see the vines), because I didn't see the thing in the tree because its location isnt somewhere you go past again, unfortunately its on a straight route between 2 fast travel things. I guess once I realised you need to leave the screen and come back to get the reward for a lot of quests I could have avoided this, but thats probably my only complaint with this sort of design - you should just get the item straight away. Anyway they made the exploration feel rewarding and made you feel clever for working out where to take items etc. I would have liked a little more in the way of hints, but I'm not sure what the middle ground is between how it is and straight up having a quest list and map markers, which kills the fun of exploring.

I found the combat pretty good, not too complicated, nice readable and learnable patterns for most enemies and bosses. The corpse run mechanic is dumb as always but at least its not punishing here, just takes a little off your max mana until you collect it.

The itemisation was hit and miss for me. Weird that you can only equip 3 of your abilities at once - i like the idea but in practice it just means you spend more time in menus with no real decisions to be made. The magic system was kind of unneeded to, I really only used the spell to return to shrines and then the one with the rotating barriers for bosses. I basically didn't interact with the weapon hearts at all. However, the rosary system was good imo, and they could have rolled some of the other systems into that and would not have really lost anything.

E: Didn't even mention the aesthetic which is one of the best things about it. LOVE the setting, the music is amazing, and after playing for a little while I remembered hearing that you should use the latin voiceovers instead - this improves the game SO much that it's a little sad they weren't brave enough to have this as the default. Some of the best pixel art I've ever seen too.

Next up on the backlog I'm choosing between Alwa's Legacy, Valdis Story, Xanthiom Zero, Gato Roboto, Lost Ruins, Fearmonium or Axiom Verge. Probably Xanthiom or Gato Roboto, I think I need something shorter this time lol.

field balm fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 12, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The Spanish voicepack was recorded post-release only once the sales rolled in, they wisely knew that their audience was English speakers and clearly had an indie budget.

I'd take a break before considering Blasphemous 2, but do let us know how you feel about it when you get there.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I've just been looking at my humble bundle stuff and I have an unused steam key for both Bloodstained and Haiku. If you'd like these send me an email at field.balm at google's mail service with your SA username and your steam account and i'll hook you up. It would be cool if you gift me your favourite cheap/budget/whatever metroidvania in exchange but if you can't afford it I'm more than happy to help you out anyway!

E: here's what I already own https://i.imgur.com/bqtnI8Y.png

Serephina posted:

The Spanish voicepack was recorded post-release only once the sales rolled in, they wisely knew that their audience was English speakers and clearly had an indie budget.

I'd take a break before considering Blasphemous 2, but do let us know how you feel about it when you get there.

Ah, that makes sense. Very cool option to have included anyway. I will grab 2 in a future sale for sure, but I'm pretty curious after playing the first one, it could be sooner rather than later.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Blasphemous benefits quite a bit from running it in NG+, I highly recommend it. Some of the DLCs were base game QoL but most of the focus was on extra content on NG+ cycles.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the lost crown demo does everything right (although it's too short to get any sort of feel for things like if it's too linear/hand-holdy etc.) and reviews are saying it's pretty lengthy (25 hours!) instead of being over too soon like many indie metroidvanias so i feel pretty optimistic about it. traversal and combat just feel so good

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

lih posted:

the lost crown demo does everything right (although it's too short to get any sort of feel for things like if it's too linear/hand-holdy etc.) and reviews are saying it's pretty lengthy (25 hours!) instead of being over too soon like many indie metroidvanias so i feel pretty optimistic about it. traversal and combat just feel so good

Only real complaint IGN had was the story gets a bit janky towards the end. Solid 8/10.

I hope it does well and gets a sequel. They shouldn’t have to do much other than a new map/enemies/bosses and maybe a few new movement or combat abilities.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 12, 2024

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Very glad to see an AAA publisher making normal games again tbh

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
yeah the story seems to be the only thing reviews are consistently underwhelmed by

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

lih posted:

yeah the story seems to be the only thing reviews are consistently underwhelmed by

It’s something a sequel could easily address and is nice to have but not critical for most of us fans of the genre. Let’s be honest, how many of us really understood what the hell was happening in Hollow Knight on a first or even second play through?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s something a sequel could easily address and is nice to have but not critical for most of us fans of the genre. Let’s be honest, how many of us really understood what the hell was happening in Hollow Knight on a first or even second play through?

Chosen Undead thou must gather the Lordsouls to relink the Hollow Knight and restore the realm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The story is comprehensible, it just escalates incredibly quickly in a way I normally associate with JRPGs but in less time.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The story is comprehensible, it just escalates incredibly quickly in a way I normally associate with JRPGs but in less time.

Honestly that sounds like a plus more than anything else

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The Lost Crown demo was very fun. Shorter than I expected (my understanding is that you have access to certain abilities significantly earlier than you would in the full game, and some paths are cut off by forcefields to restrict the parts of the map you can reach), but production values, platforming, combat, and the general feel of the game are all great. Some of the platforming did make me wish the game had the rewind feature from the previous Ubisoft PoP game. Shame it's not on Steam.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

No Dignity posted:

Very glad to see an AAA publisher making normal games again tbh

No loving doubt. Though tbf the developer in question is responsible for the modern Rayman games which have never missed a beat.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, those modern Rayman games were also great. And the movement felt similarly just correct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JV-PB-Kj38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqBnU3W03ZM

As a company Ubisoft seems like garbage, but they have produced some legitimately great stuff over the years.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 12, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
$10 for "Awesome Games Done Quick" bundle

Couple Metroidvanias

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Astalon and Bloodstained are both great; Astalon in particular really feels like a fun throwback to an era of PC games I never got to play, which was neat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I love Astalon. It's just an excellent game.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Plus one. Feels good to play, fun characters, feels a little like Legacy of The Wizard. Killer music. And its such a small thing but the way stuff bounces out of baddies when you kill them is just delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I've been playing Aeterna Noctis on and off for about a week and I'm at the area where you get the first major mcguffin. So far I'm enjoying myself (especially now that I have a wall jump), but the load times (i'm on the failing nintendo switch) are unconscionable and the world design is too large scale for its own good. But I'll probably finish it, and I can only foresee the movement getting better.

Lost Crown looks fantastic and I definitely plan on picking it up once it gets the Ubisoft discount in, oh, early March or so.