Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/RTX_News/status/1744411552210448762?t=t2d5zM2WiPhgFFieyMKjaw&s=19

https://twitter.com/RTX_News/status/1742627267107340698?t=cW1k54QPNTe_oUkTjzu8Dg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

https://twitter.com/BowTiedPassport/status/1745149758992195647

this girl rules. gently caress cloudflare. and as one of the replies says, every loving hr person sounds exactly the same lol

lol her name is Nestle

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol her name is Nestle

nestle biscoff

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Food Assistance for Mothers and Children Faces Funding Shortfall
The Agriculture Department has warned that millions of eligible pregnant and postpartum women and their children could risk missing out on nutrition assistance if Congress does not increase funding.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/10/us/politics/wic-food-women-children-spending-congress.html

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also RE Nesli's inquiries about support

my layoff last year was because my company got bought by Uber (I'll just go ahead and say it was Uber, since I'm not beholden to them anymore) and from Uber's handling of the situation the silver lining seems to be that at least this way I don't have to work for Uber

COBRA is supposed to give you continued coverage on your previous plan, but their COBRA benefits were for Uber's plan, which was with some bullshit online-only health insurance company no provider had ever heard of because of course it was. All of my usual poo poo was covered, but I had to spend a WHILE actually getting it covered because of how confused all the providers were. Also there was a gap in coverage and I had to get my ADHD meds without coverage which cost me like $2500 out-of-pocket. I got that comped, EVENTUALLY (many hours on hold and several failed attempts which they wouldn't elaborate on because the goal of the healthcare company's comp system is to make the customer get frustrated and give up on getting poo poo comped).

Once I did find a new job, they did a background check, and getting someone on the horn at Uber to verify that I had in fact worked for the company they'd just bought was actually impossible. They had an online-only system because of course they did, and it didn't work because of course it didn't. Not only did they not give me any help finding a new job (they offered layoff victims preferential treatment at interviewing for new jobs within Uber, thanks but no thanks assholes), they almost hosed up the job offer I got myself because their poo poo doesn't work.

No real point here other than gently caress Uber I guess

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

loquacius posted:

also RE Nesli's inquiries about support

my layoff last year was because my company got bought by Uber (I'll just go ahead and say it was Uber, since I'm not beholden to them anymore) and from Uber's handling of the situation the silver lining seems to be that at least this way I don't have to work for Uber

COBRA is supposed to give you continued coverage on your previous plan, but their COBRA benefits were for Uber's plan, which was with some bullshit online-only health insurance company no provider had ever heard of because of course it was. All of my usual poo poo was covered, but I had to spend a WHILE actually getting it covered because of how confused all the providers were. Also there was a gap in coverage and I had to get my ADHD meds without coverage which cost me like $2500 out-of-pocket. I got that comped, EVENTUALLY (many hours on hold and several failed attempts which they wouldn't elaborate on because the goal of the healthcare company's comp system is to make the customer get frustrated and give up on getting poo poo comped).

Once I did find a new job, they did a background check, and getting someone on the horn at Uber to verify that I had in fact worked for the company they'd just bought was actually impossible. They had an online-only system because of course they did, and it didn't work because of course it didn't. Not only did they not give me any help finding a new job (they offered layoff victims preferential treatment at interviewing for new jobs within Uber, thanks but no thanks assholes), they almost hosed up the job offer I got myself because their poo poo doesn't work.

No real point here other than gently caress Uber I guess

uh it's called disrupting and it's very important

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

lol her name is Nestle

second name closely resembles a coffee biscuit oh we did that already

Apr 7, 2003

This is my darling baby, Mondelez Stella D'Oro

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i am harry posted:

second name closely resembles a coffee biscuit oh we did that already

I quite enjoy dunking biscoff in a strong english tea as well

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

triple sulk posted:

https://twitter.com/BowTiedPassport/status/1745149758992195647

this girl rules. gently caress cloudflare. and as one of the replies says, every loving hr person sounds exactly the same lol

sounds like the company axed all the salespeople who hadn't closed a single sale since onboarding

which honestly makes sense, but it's also why i'll never work sales. i know they make the big bucks but that lifestyle and precariousness and competition between employees always scared the poo poo outta me

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I had a whole post written up about the ordeal I went through getting Uber to acknowledge that I had spent three years working for a company they bought and laid me off from, but my separation agreement had a non-disparagement clause and I'm worried the story has too many details they could trace to me if they were petty enough (they're Uber so they probably are)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

Food Assistance for Mothers and Children Faces Funding Shortfall
The Agriculture Department has warned that millions of eligible pregnant and postpartum women and their children could risk missing out on nutrition assistance if Congress does not increase funding.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/10/us/politics/wic-food-women-children-spending-congress.html

I'm not mad or scared, just

disappointed, is all

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sorry, hungry babies, we just opened a third front of the war nobody asked for and we need that money

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

loquacius posted:

sorry, hungry babies, we just opened a third front of the war nobody asked for and we need that money

not enough poors for the Prison Industrial Complex :unsmigghh:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

this is my meme, why yes I would consider myself an artist

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

loquacius posted:

I had a whole post written up about the ordeal I went through getting Uber to acknowledge that I had spent three years working for a company they bought and laid me off from, but my separation agreement had a non-disparagement clause and I'm worried the story has too many details they could trace to me if they were petty enough (they're Uber so they probably are)

you should look to see if non disparagement clauses are enforceable after recent nlrb action

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

loquacius posted:

this is my meme, why yes I would consider myself an artist

that's a good one sure to earn you respect of the meme community

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i say swears online posted:

sounds like the company axed all the salespeople who hadn't closed a single sale since onboarding

which honestly makes sense, but it's also why i'll never work sales. i know they make the big bucks but that lifestyle and precariousness and competition between employees always scared the poo poo outta me

yeah but when you hire someone in august or september and have to take a quarter to train them, expecting anything to happen between thanksgiving and the new year is comical

if they had just said "oops we hosed up and over hired because we're run by clowns, so it makes sense to cut the people who've been here the shortest and can't make the same impact our longstanding people can, again it's our fault and we'll recommend you for any other job" then it feels a lot less bad than some pseudo performance argument

but tech management and hr are almost universally horrible so that didn't happen

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
btw the WIC shortfall is like a billion dollars lol a loving rounding error for what we spend to genocide africans and middle easterners

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
so sorry lady, you can't get formula for your starving child there's another starving child on the other side of the planet we have to hurl cruise missiles at, dont' forget to vote for democrats so we can make sure all the paperwork is properly signed before hurling said missiles at the starving children

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would expect no job security in sales (there should be) but (and this is not an even trade off ) that seems like a decently portable skill set (which does not justify any behavior by the company)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

spacemang_spliff posted:

so sorry lady, you can't get formula for your starving child there's another starving child on the other side of the planet we have to hurl cruise missiles at, dont' forget to vote for democrats so we can make sure all the paperwork is properly signed before hurling said missiles at the starving children

what, you want the government to make baby formula?

Apr 7, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

btw the WIC shortfall is like a billion dollars lol a loving rounding error for what we spend to genocide africans and middle easterners

moral hazard, if those hoes can't afford babies they shouldn't have them. Why yes I am a family first elected official

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

you should look to see if non disparagement clauses are enforceable after recent nlrb action

I guess I could, but this is yet another way the system is stacked against people without access to fancy lawyers because I could also just, like, write one less post and that way I don't have to find out

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what, you want the government to make baby formula?

jen psaki speech bubble meme

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
oh so what we should just try to solve problems huh? okay big shot, what's your next bright idea, making improvements too?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m saying literally google “non disparagement clauses” and “nlrb”

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the free COVID test thing is hilarious every time I think about it

it's still funny!!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

I mean you could have just said "those clauses aren't legal" then lol

it's ok, I know you're a lawyer but I don't have proof of it or know your actual name so I can't like consider it actual legal advice or anything

but good to know that an uberXL full of pinkertons isn't gonna pull up to my house and beat me up over my posts

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

the outcome is either uber is so disorganised that they won’t be able to figure out if you worked for the company, or they have a special poo poo-list which ironically will make it so your previous employment is confirmed instantly, albeit angrily

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

triple sulk posted:

yeah but when you hire someone in august or september and have to take a quarter to train them, expecting anything to happen between thanksgiving and the new year is comical

if they had just said "oops we hosed up and over hired because we're run by clowns, so it makes sense to cut the people who've been here the shortest and can't make the same impact our longstanding people can, again it's our fault and we'll recommend you for any other job" then it feels a lot less bad than some pseudo performance argument

but tech management and hr are almost universally horrible so that didn't happen

yeah honestly i don't know what the hell a ramp or a cycle is so i assume she's not selling HDMI cables and it's probably more like MRI machines or $50,000 software package b2b stuff

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

that's a good one sure to earn you respect of the meme community

this but unironically

let's try to treat one another with respect this fine Friday:unsmith:

Apr 7, 2003

"Meme"? More like "Youyou"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

oh so what we should just try to solve problems huh? okay big shot, what's your next bright idea, making improvements too?

biden could try not being a piece of poo poo for one day and say "since congress can't do it I'm taking money from the military budget and giving it to WIC, try and stop me"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

this but unironically

let's try to treat one another with respect this fine Friday:unsmith:

I did mean it unironically, it's a good meme

Apr 7, 2003

Surely you don't want the president acting like a dictator, like Trump did

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Surely you don't want the president acting like a dictator, like Trump did

i love that if he had just used the full force of the executive for student loan relief it would have easily passed muster but he tried to get cute with covid funding lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

biden could try not being a piece of poo poo for one day and say "since congress can't do it I'm taking money from the military budget and giving it to WIC, try and stop me"

sorry, that's authoritar-- *last word drowned out by loud explosions Joe Biden managed to set off without asking Congress first*

Apr 7, 2003

Biden never gave a single poo poo about student debt relief, it was a cynical play to get young people to vote for him and his team deposited the idea in the trash the day after the election.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Biden never gave a single poo poo about student debt relief, it was a cynical play to get young people to vote for him and his team deposited the idea in the trash the day after the election.

they better start giving a poo poo about it again soon or else he's going to lose :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

like all of his campaign promises other than the "nothing will fundamentally change" one

Biden underpromised AND underdelivered. Literally the worst option out of two stages full of assholes

e: maybe Bloomberg was worse? debatable I dunno