Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The thing about C&H is that reading it as a daily comic strip was delightful, but I have the complete collection, and if you binge read it, Calvin comes across more as an annoying little poo poo with ADHD.

But as people have said, the artwork was great, and Watterson gets a ton of respect from me for ending the strip on his own terms and not letting it turn into a zombie, and the final strip was the perfect sendoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cosmik Debris posted:

CCR's story is wild, it's too long to go into but basically they were all suing each other constantly.

My favorite was when the "new" CCR tried suing Fogerty over Old Man Down the Road sounding too similar to Run Through the Jungle & Fogerty won because he wrote both, essentially with the judge saying "you can't plagiarize yourself" :lol:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Aramis posted:

Prince brought us Vanity, which brought us The Last Dragon. And for that alone, I tip my hat at the man.

Hell yeah!

And that song kicked rear end. I could see a hard rock version of it being interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MersKWMbLaY

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Oooohh wow, thank you for this perspective. You just made me realize a major reason as to why I loved the strip so much as a severely socially anxious kid.

Same, that poo poo hit me hard (except it was more existential despair than anxiety).

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

BOOTY-ADE posted:

My favorite was when the "new" CCR tried suing Fogerty over Old Man Down the Road sounding too similar to Run Through the Jungle & Fogerty won because he wrote both, essentially with the judge saying "you can't plagiarize yourself" :lol:

so saul zanz owned the copyright to all of all of fogery's songs. fogerty baited zanz in 1985 with his album Centerfield, which had mr. greed and zanz kant danz both in reference to him. Zanz took the bait and sued him for defamation over Zanz Kant Danz, and also sued him for infringing on Run Through the Jungle as you stated, which Zanz owned the copyright to.

Fogerty won because he got up on the stand and played guitar for the jury, demonstrating that its his personal style of playing. the jury of course agreed with him and zanz lost.

At one point during the trial, Zanz was on the stand being cross-examined by Fogerty's council. They asked him, do you have a vendetta against fogerty, and zanz said "yes but he started it" referring to fogerty.

Fogerty actually settled the defamation suit over Zanz Kant Danz.

During the time CCR was active, their label, Fantasy Records, didn't have any other bands signed to it. It was basically just printing CCR's records and promoting them, and taking the vast majority of their money. Pretty wild poo poo.

fogerty eventually paid Zanz an absurd amount of money and bought back the rights to all of CCR's songs. When Zanz died a few years ago, Fogerty posted a link to the video for Zanz Kant Danz on twitter. pretty funny imo

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 12, 2024

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Presto posted:

The thing about C&H is that reading it as a daily comic strip was delightful, but I have the complete collection, and if you binge read it, Calvin comes across more as an annoying little poo poo with ADHD.

But as people have said, the artwork was great, and Watterson gets a ton of respect from me for ending the strip on his own terms and not letting it turn into a zombie, and the final strip was the perfect sendoff.

I have the complete collection as well, but I don't want to read it because I have very fond memories that I don't want to ruin. I tried watching my favorite shows when I was twelve, but decades later, and they, uh, aren't as good as I remember, to put it mildly. I'm afraid the same thing will happen if I read Calvin and Hobbes as an adult.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

tango alpha delta posted:

I have the complete collection as well, but I don't want to read it because I have very fond memories that I don't want to ruin. I tried watching my favorite shows when I was twelve, but decades later, and they, uh, aren't as good as I remember, to put it mildly. I'm afraid the same thing will happen if I read Calvin and Hobbes as an adult.

Calvin and Hobbes holds up incredibly well and rereading it as a 30-something really made me appreciate the strip's adult characters a lot more. Just as important, it's still gorgeous to look at and knowing what I now know about art makes me appreciate Watterson even more. Dude was an absolute master with line weight, composition, directionality, value (those Tracer Bullet strips were loving insane), silhouette, you name it. He was peerless. I didn't understand any of that as a kid, I just knew that C&H was exciting to look at and most other comic strips weren't. Crack that poo poo open, it'll be worth it.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really liked the strips where he would mimic the style of "Rex Morgan MD"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cosmik Debris posted:

so saul zanz owned the copyright to all of all of fogery's songs. fogerty baited zanz in 1985 with his album Centerfield, which had mr. greed and zanz kant danz both in reference to him. Zanz took the bait and sued him for defamation over Zanz Kant Danz, and also sued him for infringing on Run Through the Jungle as you stated, which Zanz owned the copyright to.

Fogerty won because he got up on the stand and played guitar for the jury, demonstrating that its his personal style of playing. the jury of course agreed with him and zanz lost.

At one point during the trial, Zanz was on the stand being cross-examined by Fogerty's council. They asked him, do you have a vendetta against fogerty, and zanz said "yes but he started it" referring to fogerty.

Fogerty actually settled the defamation suit over Zanz Kant Danz.

During the time CCR was active, their label, Fantasy Records, didn't have any other bands signed to it. It was basically just printing CCR's records and promoting them, and taking the vast majority of their money. Pretty wild poo poo.

fogerty eventually paid Zanz an absurd amount of money and bought back the rights to all of CCR's songs. When Zanz died a few years ago, Fogerty posted a link to the video for Zanz Kant Danz on twitter. pretty funny imo

I loving live for this petty insider tea.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Extra Large Marge posted:

Calvin was the first to return to monke

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Extra Large Marge posted:

oh man you left out the best one

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
I love that the conceit is that, back in the day when the comics were in the paper, you'd start reading that comic, not realizing it's calvin and hobbes, and it just gets weirder and weirder until the last panel and you're like, oh poo poo, it was all pretend

they would almost be better without the final panels. but then you wouldn't get it at all if you're not a regular reader.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Okay, I really enjoyed those.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

It helps that when Watterson wrote about fights with his syndicate where he refused to license the comic to protect artistic integrity, his actions in the decades since show it wasn’t just posturing. So we aren’t seeing Calvin Kart Racing clogging up steam discount sales or Chris Pratt announced as Calvin’s dad.

Also glad while not a total recluse he isn’t a cringe #resistance Twitter guy and I have no idea if his politics took any radical turns post 9/11.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
When does Calvin and Hobbes become public domain so we can get a bad horror flick out of it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

credburn posted:

When does Calvin and Hobbes become public domain so we can get a bad horror flick out of it

It's like 70 years after Bill Watterson dies or something, so thankfully never in our lifetimes :unsmith:

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

Cosmik Debris posted:

Akroyd is a weird dude for sure but he strikes me as harmless weird. Blues Brothers would not have worked at all without either Akyroyd or Belushi, as evidenced by the awful BB2000. They play off each other really well. And IIRC the genesis for the blues brothers was Belushi doing a Joe Cocker sendup and it bein wild. Belushi always wanted to be a singer and him and akroyd were writing partners, so they sat down and basically came up with a premise for how they could make that happen.

As for CCR/John Fogerty, they were overplayed on rock stations, but they really didn't sound like anything else at the time. By the late 60s and early 70s, rock music was kind of giving way to overproduced stuff with full bands and horns. So CCR being kind of stripped down was a bit of a novelty. Adult contemporary music was on the rise, so CCR being on the radio kind of gave people some counterprogramming.

John Fogerty is a very good songwriter, though, it's hard to deny. He has that ability I was talking about earlier in the thread to take a simple structure and make it interesting enough to want to listen to. Like with Kurt Cobain, it's easy to point out and say that's a good song, but it's hard to come up with one where there wasn't one before. Yall are just sick of it, but if you heard green river for the first time tomorrow you'd probably like it. Fortunate Son does suck rear end though, I agree with that 100%, it has one of the most annoying guitar riffs ever. And people using it patriotically is so stupid.

Fogery is also incredibly talented, he is a fantastic singer and played every instrument on 1985's centerfield.

And to anyone who doubts his abilities as a songwriter, give a listen to Zanz/Vanz Kant Danz off of centerfield. The bizarre video and backstory make it even better.

CCR's story is wild, it's too long to go into but basically they were all suing each other constantly.

It's pretty hosed up and interesting. they also used to be called the Golliwogs and fortunately the record company made them change their name.

I've heard CCR on the radio growing up but never checked them out until I watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQcnxTWGhwM

I actually really enjoyed going through their whole discography, lot of good stuff there.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
CCR is great and I recently bought a drum set and for years and years I've said I was going to learn I Heard it Through the Grape Vine since it's so basic but supremely solid.

I bought a little bluetooth interface for a big amplifier I have and play that song through that while jamming out (poorly, I have zero formal teaching).

Fortunate Son is a good song but of course it's been overplayed to a ridiculous amount. It suffers from the same issue as Born in the USA and other songs in that it's a rip against the USA but chuds think it's a patriotic song. John Fogerty was actually drafted and served in the army reserves for a bit.

The full song is actually around 11 minutes but here's the drumming that I really want to get down. Much shorter video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCCfc2vAuDU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I wish a philosophy goon would drop in and talk about John Calvin and Thomas Hobbes. Watterson was intentional in creating their personalities around the philosophers but I really don't know much other than Calvin's fixation on predestination and Santa Claus as a standin for God and Hobbes's "dim view of humanity," in his own words.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

CCR is great and I recently bought a drum set and for years and years I've said I was going to learn I Heard it Through the Grape Vine since it's so basic but supremely solid.

I bought a little bluetooth interface for a big amplifier I have and play that song through that while jamming out (poorly, I have zero formal teaching).

Fortunate Son is a good song but of course it's been overplayed to a ridiculous amount. It suffers from the same issue as Born in the USA and other songs in that it's a rip against the USA but chuds think it's a patriotic song. John Fogerty was actually drafted and served in the army reserves for a bit.

The full song is actually around 11 minutes but here's the drumming that I really want to get down. Much shorter video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCCfc2vAuDU

not that it's bad or anything but he's imitating the classic motown drum sound from the original, which is better imo. and even though marvin gaye didn't play drums much by this point, he started out as a drummer. despite the fact that he was a piano player, berry gordy had a number of better piano players and really needed another drummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWG3npfEoHo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I disagree. I feel more of a groove to the 11 minute CCR song. But music is subjective. :)

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

fair enough.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cosmik Debris posted:

not that it's bad or anything but he's imitating the classic motown drum sound from the original, which is better imo. and even though marvin gaye didn't play drums much by this point, he started out as a drummer. despite the fact that he was a piano player, berry gordy had a number of better piano players and really needed another drummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWG3npfEoHo

??? why did Marvin Gaye cover a California Raisins song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8V5YOeCFxM

anywho, fun fact, that's not a CCR song, not even a Marvin Gaye song!!! It's a Norman Whitfield/Barrett Strong joint that was first recorded by Gladys Knight and the Pips. There were a couple of other artists who took a stab at it before Marvin Gaye, notably The Miracles, but Marvin Gaye was finally able to help the track break the charts :) Soul music rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ633YXW-TM

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

it's not every day that somebody out music-trivia's me, so my hats off you to you m'goon sir.

I had assumed it was one of his because he was a prolific songwriter himself and wrote a lot of his own hits and several hits for others as well.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 13, 2024

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

bagmonkey posted:

??? why did Marvin Gaye cover a California Raisins song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8V5YOeCFxM

anywho, fun fact, that's not a CCR song, not even a Marvin Gaye song!!! It's a Norman Whitfield/Barrett Strong joint that was first recorded by Gladys Knight and the Pips. There were a couple of other artists who took a stab at it before Marvin Gaye, notably The Miracles, but Marvin Gaye was finally able to help the track break the charts :) Soul music rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ633YXW-TM

I was trying to find the version I really really really I enjoy and yeah, so many cool versions of this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH10RgBTCAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRiUUuIYAqc

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

that's a big reason I put songwriters on a higher pedestal than performers. one song can spawn so many amazing performances. lovely songs cant do that (usually).

truly great performers are rare. truly great songwriters are even rare...er.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cosmik Debris posted:

it's not every day that somebody out music-trivia's me, so my hats off you to you m'goon sir.

I had assumed it was one of his because he was a prolific songwriter himself and wrote a lot of his own hits and several hits for others as well.

I'm a massive soul music fan, one of my closest buddies is a collector here in metro Detroit who's turned me on to all sorts of amazing stuff and helped me learn about all of the history. Motown-era soul music is so fascinating because these artists would just trade songs around until someone got a hit off of it. It's a semi regular occurrence that I'll be at a local soul/funk night and hear a track that I know, but by a completely different artist, and that kinda starts the process of figuring out wtf

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
there's one piece of media I hate more than anything in the loving world, and I know lots of other people don't like it, but hearing this at certain times will legit send me into a just grumpy mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ-RzocalTk

this dumb piece of poo poo's dumb piece of poo poo christmas song that sucks my whole rear end. I hate this song more than any other song

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Old news, but it's a total ripoff too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXdQB-mR4tg

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

bagmonkey posted:

there's one piece of media I hate more than anything in the loving world, and I know lots of other people don't like it, but hearing this at certain times will legit send me into a just grumpy mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ-RzocalTk

this dumb piece of poo poo's dumb piece of poo poo christmas song that sucks my whole rear end. I hate this song more than any other song

I wouldn't even consider it the worst Beatles Christmas song.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

rodbeard posted:

I wouldn't even consider it the worst Beatles Christmas song.

simply having a wonderful christmas (time) is a loving wonderful song because I don't believe any song has been more phoned in than that song, and I absolutely appreciate that level of hustle

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
whereas i genuinely believe that john lennon thought he could write lovely pop songs enough to make war end

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I remember some time around 2014 on Goontube I saw a dailymotion that had Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas (time) set to footage of one of those latex dudes playing in a septic tank, at Christmastime, and it was weirdly perfect.

That song that perfectly captures the cold of some Christmases which is absent from literally every other Christmas song I know.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
While we’re on John Lennon, Imagine is one of the dumbest songs ever written. What a pile of garbage.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Presto posted:

He is just like me fr fr

redshirt posted:

I watched the new Flash movie (over a couple of days) because of the fun cameos, but my gosh, I couldn't have cared less for the dumb story. A comic book movie that used alternate realities. The stakes could not be any lower.

A lot of people poo poo on Marvel movies and somewhat rightfully so, but they do at least have a habit of picking decent screenwriters/directors (and part of them being able to do that is because they're known for very little interference in the filmmaking process — probably why Waititi made Thor 3 rather than Akira), and for a short period that percolated down to some reasonably decent stuff being made.

DC comics has always had this kind of "wow, we're doing the same poo poo as Marvel but it's Edgy and Dark woahhhh" vibe that I just can't shake, but what I find particularly impressive is that their movies carry this as well. Every single one of their movies looks from the outside like the edgiest 13yro bullshit possible, except on top of this the filmmakers are in that weird liminal space where they're good at what they do not because they make good films (e.g. hunt for the wilderpeople), but because they make pulpy films (e.g. the fast and furious movies)

Like how Danielle Steele was good at being an incredibly famous author but in terms of literary quality she's middling at best.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I lasted around ten minutes trying to watch the Mean Girls movie. It's not that it's not a good movie but that it was a very unpleasant reminder of middle school that I couldn't stand to relive.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Was I the only weirdo kid that collected Foxtrot instead of C&H?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I stopped watching always sunny somewhere in season 10, because it had gotten so bad. Every time I see a clip from a season after that, it is absolutely terrible. It's like the Simpsons, and just like the Simpsons, dumb guys still eat that poo poo up and can't even tell the difference

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, it turned into a bad fanfic of the show as it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

is pepsi ok posted:

Was I the only weirdo kid that collected Foxtrot instead of C&H?

Nah, foxtrot is great. I didn't have all of them, or even really a lot, but the 10 or so books I had got a lot of rereading.