Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s never just about money with these guys.

Oh right and you have to follow Nick Saban and have to build Bama's NIL from essentially scratch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s never just about money with these guys.

Yeah, it takes a certain kind of personality (enormous control freak) to be a successful FBS football coach, and what Saban had at Bama has got to be the dream for these guys. An institution 100% bought in to you and committed to football success, boosters that worship the ground you walk on, practically unlimited resources at your disposal.

I don't know what the institutional culture is like at UW, but I have my doubts that they're as football-first as Bama is.

Is it hubris to believe that you'll be able to step into Saban's shoes and immediately command the same level of respect as he did? Yes. But you don't get to the position these guys are without a certain level of self-delusion.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

pillsburysoldier posted:

Oh right and you have to follow Nick Saban and have to build Bama's NIL from essentially scratch

I don’t think the guys who make it to the very top of the college coaching ranks look at the job and think “drat, I could never be as good as Nick Saban, I should take the easy, comfortable job instead.”

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/4thAndTruth/status/1745891262689939730

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Every profile I've read paints DeBoer as extremely ambitious but at the same time I always got the impression he wanted to build a second-tier program or faltering national power up into a monster. So it's a bit of a surprise for him to move, but not too much.

Good luck beating him with Bama levels of talent, y'all.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

I hope DeBoer turns it down just for the fun it will bring. Who are they calling after that?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol this is the fakest leak I've ever seen

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

PostNouveau posted:

lol this is the fakest leak I've ever seen

I'm a bit shocked he didn't tweet it out on his own account.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh no! Someone leaked my private conversation about how great Oxford is and how much I believe in the Ole Miss program and how I'm going to win the national championship here! What an invasion of privacy!

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
Hot Take: DeBoer is a better coach than Saban and Bama’s reign will continue

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Lasagna Pilot posted:

He is pretty drat good, and Saban is leaving Alabama with a lot of weapons. I would be wary predicting a downfall.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Even if you think that deboer is a better coach it’s basically inconceivable he has a Saban tier run. I think bama would continue to be good with him and he would still likely be a disappointment even so.

If it’s true I feel bad for dawgs fans because I had that same dread regarding Lanning. Losing a Real Deal dude sucks. On the other hand I don’t feel bad for dawgs fans because schadenfreude is true joy.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

it’s happening

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/1745902833654976600?s=46

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/StoneLarry/status/1745891329320829253?t=4yoPYD0oqjG4xy-B6TFZYQ&s=19

The fact that he's moved jobs so quickly as a step up isn't a surprise but but lol imagine leaving Seattle for Tuscaloosa.

The last time we had a coach bail for a more "prestigious" program we got Chris Petersen. I'm hurt, but not out. But it's gonna be a rough intro to the Big 10.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i really dont get it lol, it literally can only be about the money

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yates posted:

I hope DeBoer turns it down just for the fun it will bring. Who are they calling after that?

Matt Campbell? lol

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Victorious Radia posted:

Prestige. Bama is the most coveted job because of how successful they are and DeBoer wants that. And yeah he's gonna get paid a boatload for it too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Victorious Radia posted:

Could also be ego. Wants to be the next Nick Saban

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Remember "I can't believe Lincoln Riley left Norman for LA" discourse?

Tagesreste
Jan 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Even if you think that deboer is a better coach it’s basically inconceivable he has a Saban tier run. I think bama would continue to be good with him and he would still likely be a disappointment even so.

If it’s true I feel bad for dawgs fans because I had that same dread regarding Lanning. Losing a Real Deal dude sucks. On the other hand I don’t feel bad for dawgs fans because schadenfreude is true joy.

Going from having to play football against dogshit Falwell U to today has been such a whiplash in the best possible way for Ducks fans. I'm gonna have to buy one of those "Progrum" shirts, I think. Or when they put out "The Grass Is drat Green in Eugene"

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The only non-funny option is happening goddammit Bama.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Well it was a fun two years bandwagoning the Huskies. At least my lifelong team made a hire that seems good! Maybe UW can poach Leipold or something. I imagine keeping Grubb and promoting him is not an option.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Yates posted:

Marques Tuiasosopo

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

It was only ever going to be this way.

Not being funny that is. Not it necessarily DeBoer

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

it could be funny if he scott frosts it. he's not likely too, but there's a chance.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Henchman of Santa posted:

Well it was a fun two years bandwagoning the Huskies. At least my lifelong team made a hire that seems good! Maybe UW can poach Leipold or something. I imagine keeping Grubb and promoting him is not an option.

Leipold is the name that keeps coming up in Circles

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

LeeMajors posted:

It's not official yet, there's still that small chance DeBoer has a change of heart and we get Alabama HC Dabo Sweeney.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
It's nice to watch the teams that killed the Pac crash and burn.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mega64 posted:

It's not official yet, there's still that small chance DeBoer has a change of heart and we get Alabama HC Dabo Sweeney.

this or lane i think were the two funniest possible realistic options

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

PostNouveau posted:

Could also be ego. Wants to be the next Nick Saban

Considering he's gone from coaching D2, to Mountain West, to Pac-12 to the biggest program in the country (the last 2 happening over the course of 4 years) indicates ego.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
bummer, it's over

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1745903401324413126?t=-jxGKpYZ1PkvJ9Ajw2vN6w&s=19

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1745904220350627982

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
If DeBoer leaves UW I think that will taint his legacy. No one aside from Bama fans wants him there and even some of my Bama friends think it would be a weird move. Also, yeah, if he leaves now, so late in the game, that just means we can pick up a dark horse high tier coach from somewhere else. Nothing better than a BY GAWD THATS PETE CARROLL'S MUSIC

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wonder how many Bama people think he’s a FRAUD that got EXPOSED last week and thus a bad hire.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Brutal loving week

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Victorious Radia posted:

I don’t understand why it’s so hard to grasp that the borderline psychotic types that make it to the very top of the coaching ranks aren’t simply looking for the cushiest job they can land. If they were they would have already settled at a lower level with a way lower effort reward ratio.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Remember "I can't believe Lincoln Riley left Norman for LA" discourse?

Yeah, but Seattle to Bama is like the complete opposite

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He’s from South Dakota, he probably doesn’t love big city life on the coast.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Zurreco posted:

If DeBoer leaves UW I think that will taint his legacy. No one aside from Bama fans wants him there and even some of my Bama friends think it would be a weird move. Also, yeah, if he leaves now, so late in the game, that just means we can pick up a dark horse high tier coach from somewhere else. Nothing better than a BY GAWD THATS PETE CARROLL'S MUSIC

Absolutely no shot we get anyone even halfway decent. We didn't even get a recruiting bump from how this season went, it needs to be rebuilt again now that everyone is leaving. I'd be shocked if we made a bowl game next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

PostNouveau posted:

Oh no! Someone leaked my private conversation about how great Oxford is and how much I believe in the Ole Miss program and how I'm going to win the national championship here! What an invasion of privacy!

It's funnier than Dan Lanning's thing at least.